Keep it. 17 39.53%
$1500 4 9.30%
$800, Kickback. 1 2.33%
$800, Thank you. 21 48.84%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Refrigerator Raider Hater

I'm kicking myself, and a poll for you guys.

..figuratively.

I went down to the local bicycle shop today after work, real good local people who know their stuff and have prices as good or better than I could on the net. I went in for an $800 bike, and am just now finding out after some research online that they sold me a $1500 bike for $800. It's the same model, but I was only willing to spend for the "base" model, and I got the Competition model. Kinda like if you went to the ford dealer for a mustang v6, and drove away in a GT500 for $25K. It was labeled correct, but priced wrong. One person made the mistake, and no less than three others didn't catch it.

I thought about keeping it for a few minutes, but decided that not only do I not feel right about it, but the Competition version is probably going to be a lot less reliable due to having a lot of lightweight parts, from the thin chain to the cassette (rear gears) being drilled out, to the wheels having nearly half the spokes.

Here's why I'm kicking myself: I wanted to start riding this weekend, but since I decided to take the bike back, I also don't feel right riding it knowing it's going back.

Finally to the poll! Please vote for what YOU would do. Names will be hidden.

Keep it (Assume you wanted a competition bike)
$1500 (Try to return at $1500, buy $800 bike)
$800, kickback (Return at $800, but ask for something in return)
$800, Thank you (Return at $800, expect nothing from them but a "thanks for being honest")

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!

Last edited by GreenBird; 04-19-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 03:50 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

So, you got a good deal, whats the problem? Honestly it's probably a better bike...I would assume that those parts are built to take more of a beating...on a bike lightweight isn't necessarily worse...
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:22 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Are you sure it wasn't a close-out model? We're selling the Pioneer Elite plasma Pro-1150 for $2300 down from $3500. A guy I work with got the employee cost of $1600. We bought them cheap and still mark them up. I wouldn't worry about it. If nothing else, sell it on Craigslist and get your $800 bike.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:41 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
imo.. sell it for $1500 and build you own bike for half that.. its not that hard and that way you KNOW what you put into it..

http://www.danscomp.com/index.php?cookiereload=yes

some of the best bikes ive had were built with parts from these guys.. try it out

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:46 AM
4th Gear Poster

always rember karma it will come and get ya!

hub swap sloted and driled rotors mark 8 drive shaft mark 8 rear end 373s loc right locker 03 mustang gt trans jmod 2800 stall tc trans cooler pi intake ported pi heads comp cams/springs 75mm tb 75mm high flow plentem mack gt cold air intake ac delete pully under drive pullyes screamin demon coil packs live wire plug wires 24LB injectors 255L fuel pump 180 t-stat stock dyno matt/any extra parts i didint need delete sct chip hids kooks headers 2.25" dual exhaust flowmasters
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 06:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Keep it, or I will come up there and smack you for doing the other things....

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Last Mrk Send a message via Skype™ to Last Mrk
I voted $800 - Thank you because you mentioned this. "real good local people" How could you do otherwise in good conscience?

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:30 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Ainline41
Keep it, their mistake not yours. It's their job to sell bicycles, and probably parts. If they don't know the proper price of a product, then that is their fault. You didn't do anything but buy a bike at the price they were selling it.

And danscomp ftw

98 Mark VIII LSC
03 Focus ZX3 2.3 - beater
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainline41 View Post
danscomp ftw
damn right lol. ive built a few bikes from their parts catalog great stuff

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:00 PM
6th Gear Poster

Their a bike shop, they know bikes, so they knew what they were selling if it went through 3 people.

Keep it and enjoy it, unless you'd rather have the $800 bike. If anything, the higher end bikes and components are more durable. Unless you're a clydesdale, you should be fine with the lighter wheels.

97 T-Bird Sport: Dynomax catback, Removed silencer w/ K&N panel, DReinhart chip, Lightning AGSF12-FM1 plugs/180 stat, Tokico 1.25" dropped stance, bye bye fender gap

'79 F100 SB : 300 ci six, Hurst Mastershift 3spd floor shifter, Offenhauser intake, Holley 4 brrl, EFI manifolds, Chebbie Rockers, Summit Racing 3.50 gearset, DISO 2.5" diesel muffler and 2.5" exhaust, Its'a six?!
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:05 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Mrk View Post
I voted $800 - Thank you because you mentioned this. "real good local people" How could you do otherwise in good conscience?

I second that.

Straightaways are for fast cars
Turns are for fast drivers
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:08 PM
5th Gear Poster

Take it back and tell them the mistake. They may just tell you to keep it and then you can enjoy it in good conscience. Do the right thing.

97 'Bird w/an 04 Explorer lower, 8lb AED upper, Marauder TC, 93 MK VIII DS
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Veteran Poster

What kinda bike was it, anyway? BMX? Mountain bike? Road bike?

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
One time I was in a convenience store and I bought a soda and something else, it came out to about $4. I handed the girl at the register a $10, and she accidentally hit $20 on the register instead of $10. She hands me back $16, and I say "you gave me too much money" and hand the $10 back. She says "no I didn't, see, it says $16", to which I say "but I only handed you a $10, not a $20", and she says "but it says $16 on the register so if I take that $10 back, it will be off". At this point I say "OK" and walk out the door, having made $10 on her stupidity. I would have felt bad about it, if I didn't say anything, because it could be an honest mistake, and I don't want someone getting in trouble needlessly, much less profit off of it, but when they are stupid and beligerent, then that's the owner's loss for not hiring smarter people. Where you are at right now is you have just been handed back $16, and you haven't said anything yet. To be fair to the shop, you have to at least give them the opportunity to fix their mistake. If you explain to them what happened and the differences and everything, and for some reason they refuse to admit that they made a mistake, then you can say "screw it, I tried, they should have hired smarter people" and not feel bad about it, but I would at least do that before effectively ripping off the local shop for $700. That's the way I see it anyway.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Last Mrk Send a message via Skype™ to Last Mrk
I agree with Mad!! I've gotten too much change, told the cashier and got the same reaction as Mad did. I'll try to correct their mistake, but I'm not about to fight them over it.

The funny thing is, they're so used to people trying to confuse them into being cheated, they can't get it through their head what you're trying to tell them it seems.

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:40 AM
6th Gear Poster

Do what you would want done to you.

Do what it seems most don't know what to do.

Do the right thing

$800 and thank you.

No offense, but I would not have thought twice about something like this.

Mitch
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 01:08 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I'd ride it this weekend; If you must, go by the shop, and talk to them.

Tell them that you think the bike is worth more than you paid for it.

See if they made a mistake, and sold you the wrong bike, or gave you a great deal. If you are someone that brings them business, maybe the owner did it on purpose. Sometimes Karma rewards instead of punishes...

See where it goes. You have done nothing wrong; best case, they can ask to buy it back for what you paid. A judge would laugh at this, if they tried to make trouble.

You paid for a bike; I'd ride it. As long as you didn't swap the price tags, it's not your problem; if the invoice has the model number and serial number of what you actually bought, it's yours, Legally.

I'd rather have the better bike; parts drilled for weight are not more likely to break, as long as the guy drilling them knows where; it's just more labor, thus more expensive. Every large bolt or plate on my dirt bike is either drilled, magnesium, or titanium...it's broke me a lot more that I've broke it...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicks View Post
What kinda bike was it, anyway? BMX? Mountain bike? Road bike?
Road bike. I still have a mountain bike from 8 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchB View Post
No offense, but I would not have thought twice about something like this.

Mitch
The way I thought about it was "How will this make me feel about myself?". I had already decided what I was going to do before posting. I was just interested to see what others would do.

96 Alpine Green V8

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Veteran Poster

What make? Just wondering 'cause we have a bunch of road bikes sitting around my house (my dad's big into that stuff). I never really got into the sport, but my dad has a spare bike around that's supposed to be mine.

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 03:29 PM
TGJ
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I'd ride it this weekend; If you must, go by the shop, and talk to them.

Tell them that you think the bike is worth more than you paid for it.

See if they made a mistake, and sold you the wrong bike, or gave you a great deal. If you are someone that brings them business, maybe the owner did it on purpose. Sometimes Karma rewards instead of punishes...

See where it goes. You have done nothing wrong; best case, they can ask to buy it back for what you paid. A judge would laugh at this, if they tried to make trouble.

You paid for a bike; I'd ride it. As long as you didn't swap the price tags, it's not your problem; if the invoice has the model number and serial number of what you actually bought, it's yours, Legally.
I agree with this 100% as this is what I would do. I would give the bike back for what I paid for it...

R.I.P. Johnny Langton (1975 - 2011)

1996 Thunderbird 5.0L 2V-4R70W
12.64 @ 107 MPH -> DA 3315 Ft above Sea level
12.49 @ 109 -> DA 2967 Ft above Sea level
2005 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V-TR3650 - SOLD
13.39 @ 102 MPH -> DA 3617 Ft above Sea level
2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V-6R80 - Bolt-ons
12.32 @ 115 MPH -> DA 2980 Ft above Sea level
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

There was no doubt it was a mistake once I figured out which model I had. I did a straight up trade for the bike I was supposed to get earlier today, and I don't miss the extra gear or fancy light parts. The model in question is a Specialized Sequoia. It got my dad to get his 1968 Gitane out of the basement.

Sometimes doing what is right is more than just what you are legally required to do.

96 Alpine Green V8

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 10:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
Sometimes doing what is right is more than just what you are legally required to do.
Well said!

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 02:27 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Quote:
I thought about keeping it for a few minutes, but decided that not only do I not feel right about it,
There is your answer....

Good job. Give yourself a pat on the back and consider yourself one more person fighting against an intolerable crooked world that is slowly but surly dragging everyone down with it.
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Save the Panther

If this were something bought at Wal-Mart, like a big screen TV, i'm sure the advice your getting would be the same...

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 03:45 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
If this were something bought at Wal-Mart, like a big screen TV, i'm sure the advice your getting would be the same...
Definitely. ... then again - it's a gray area and a moral issue. Would Wal-Mart suffer the loss? Would small Chinese children go to bed with nothing to eat that day? Or does it come down to "just do what is right no matter who or if anyone gets hurt from the mistake"?

Hmmm....
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 03:59 PM
Save the Panther

I'm pretty sure wal-mart wouldn't "suffer" the loss.

And with the way they bleed their suppliers, chinese children are already going to bed with nothing to eat. We reap the benefit of it as a wal-mart price "rollback"

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:16 PM
PostWhore

post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:28 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Great Choice!

I couldn't have kept it if it was an honest mistake; I mentioned the legal part in case they got huffy about it...

If I find an extra mcnugget in my bag, I'm not driving back to micky D's; a diamond is another matter.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in