POLL: how do you feel about walmart - TCCoA Forums
View Poll Results: How do you feel about Walmart?
Capitalism at its best! 13 29.55%
I will never shop there! 11 25.00%
I hate it in principle. 11 25.00%
I am indifferent. 9 20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
POLL: how do you feel about walmart

After seeing a couple other threads go into people ranting about walmart, and the one about them screwing up the guy's motor from a botched oil change, I figured we need a walmart poll.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Voice/Data Guru

They SUCK out loud

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
I hate Wally World with a passion.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #4 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Last Mrk Send a message via Skype™ to Last Mrk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
After seeing a couple other threads go into people ranting about walmart, and the one about them screwing up the guy's motor from a botched oil change, I figured we need a walmart poll.
What happened to the poll?

post #5 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I don't know, I clicked poll, but somehow it didn't go through. Maybe a moderator can fix that for me. The options I had were
1) I love it, capitalism at its best!
2) I hate it, and will never shop there!
3) I hate it in principle, but shop there anyway.
4) I am indifferent towards walmart

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #6 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
**** wal mart.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #7 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
the most awesome store there is

I do all my shopping for my job there at least 2 grand a month
also all my personal shopping as well as shopping for my mom

whats bad about the place (if its a supercenter)

they have most everything I want and the prices are ALOT less then anyplace else

example mighty dog was 80 cents a can in stop and shop and 40 cents in walmart

I dont shop anyplace else unless its an emergency

and not for nothing who the hell would go to walmart for auto repairs

thats just common sense

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
post #8 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:11 PM
PostWhore Princess

Send a message via MSN to T_Bird_Babe Send a message via Yahoo to T_Bird_Babe
OHHHHHHH you opened a HUGE can of worms now!!! LOL
I worked for them for 2 years. I was a great cake decorator, until the old bakery manager came back, then I was told I had to transfer deptartments or get terminated. I transfered to fabrics and crafts, and 2 months later I got hurt on the job. I herninated 2 discs in my lower back. I had to fight them for workers comp. I took them to court and won. Then they screwed me out of my full lump sum settlement. It was supposed to be around $40,000. By the time they got done screwing me over, I got $20,000, well after my lawyer got his $4,000, I got $16,000. I am now applying for disability, because the Drs can't fix me, and I was told by 2 Drs I was not a candidate for surgery. In my court case, I was awarded permanent payment for my drs and meds for my back, as long as it is proven that it is for the same existing condition. Well they are already fighting me all the way on that. I have a bill here for an MRI on my back, and it says that they refused to pay for it, so payment is expected from me. They refuse to pay for any good meds that will help me, so what I am taking is garbage, and really doesn't help that much.

Now if you just want my opinion as a customer, I would NEVER take my car to them to work on them. They hire any person off the street, with little experience.
I have purchased rancid meat there.
I have seen how the seafood and deli areas are run, I would never buy anything they serve there.
They use sweat shops for all of their products. I remember back in the 80's, they used to hang signs in the stores showing a new product, and telling how many jobs they had created. Now everything you see is made over seas, nothing made in the USA. So they got rid of alot of jobs and saved all that money for their pockets. They don't care about their employees, or their customers. The only thing they care about is the money they put in their pockets. If Sam Walton was alive today, it wouldn't be this way, right now he is rolling over in his grave at the mockery his greedy family has made of his empire that he built so long ago.

If you ever get the chance watch the documentary called "Walmart, The high cost of low prices" Everything that was said in there by employees, I can associate with, I have seen it, or lived it. If we could get people all over the world to watch this documentary just once, I do believe that alot of people would not shop there anymore, and we might be able to make a difference, and get this company to suffer severe money loss.

Diane..
http://www.myspace.com/mscntry

Stand on the gas, and live like there is no tomorrow!!
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
post #9 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:23 PM
PostWhore

Yeah, Walmart blows. And the city I live in has three of them. WTF is up with that?
post #10 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 09:46 PM
PostWhore Princess

Send a message via MSN to T_Bird_Babe Send a message via Yahoo to T_Bird_Babe
Quote:
Originally Posted by turdferguson View Post
Yeah, Walmart blows. And the city I live in has three of them. WTF is up with that?
The more stores they can put in a city, the more money they can get from the city. This takes money from the more important things needed, like police, and fire dept funds which makes it harder for the city to survive. It is all in the documentary "Walmart, the high cost of low prices" watch it.

Diane..
http://www.myspace.com/mscntry

Stand on the gas, and live like there is no tomorrow!!
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
post #11 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to crash00527
Wal-Mart ROCKS ..especially the 24 hr supercenters

1995 40th. Ann. Supercoupe
1 of 5,167
Black ~ AOD ~ Moonroof ~ 82K
SCCOA Member #3093
----------------------------------------------
CPL/0861/0844 USMC
Forward Observer/Fire Direction Center
Click below for Current PICS and MODS.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2466286
post #12 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Who is John Galt?

being a broke college student, I usually went to them because . . . well, they sell cheap stuff and that's what I could afford. On top of that, they have (had) the best price on handgun ammunition. I wasn't a fan of shopping there, but did anyway.

That said, I don't buy chit from them now. They got in bed with Bloomberg on his crusade against gun owners so F*** them! Sammy Walton is spinning in his grave fast enough that you could strap magnets to him and he'd generate enough power for my college campus.

Groceries? Going to Kroger for them now
Libations? Local store that has a much better selection.
Detailing supplies for the Cougar/Vic? Going to Advance/O'Reily's/CarQuest
Ammo? Going to Rural King or ordering from an online supplier.
Tools/Stuff for the home or apartment? Lowe's/Home Depot
Gas (Murphy USA)? Going to Shell or Thornton's. The Cougar and Vic both got crappier gas mileage with Wal-Marx gas anyway.

"Won't work, can't be done"

Last edited by cougar_guy04; 04-21-2008 at 11:06 PM.
post #13 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

I don't shop at wal-mart, and I tell people they are fooling themselves if they think they are saving money. Wal-mart is using the health care system to essentially make all tax payers pay for their employee's health care.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #14 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:40 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to white lincoln
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post

I want and the prices are ALOT less then anyplace else
ALOT is two words, ie: a lot, like Wal Mart...
post #15 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 01:16 AM
Save the Panther

That's nice. To bad nobody cares if it's a sanctioned word or not, they will use it anyway.

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society
post #16 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Battery
I'm glad to see I'm not alone in my hatred of them. It's amazing how they can turn places into ghost towns so shortly. Also +1 on watching the documentary. I own it and have shown it to many people I know.

"It's all in the reflexes"
LE RIP
Now 96 Mark VIII
post #17 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turdferguson View Post
You must tell that your city is small.

I do not like them. It is the only place that fighting over the illegal parking spot is a sport. Curbs? What curbs? Yellow lines, pffft I don't see em. The mentality is nuts. Actually went there the other night because I HAD to get some brake cleaner and they were the only place open. My wife laughed because I had to fight the car to get it to turn into the parking lot.

Rodney
post #18 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 03:20 AM
PostWhore

I applied for a job at WalMart, so I'm getting a kick out of this thread. And I'm starting to feel dirty for applying there.

I'm Mister_T and I approve this message.
post #19 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 07:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post

Whats bad about the place (if its a supercenter)

They have most everything I want and the prices are ALOT less then anyplace else.

Example mighty dog was 80 cents a can in stop and shop and 40 cents in walmart.

I dont shop anyplace else unless its an emergency.

I have yet to understand why someone would spend twice the money for the exact same item.

So my vote is:

Let me ask you Wal-Mart haters this: If Wal-Mart was selling NIB KB SOHC or DOHC supercharger setups for $1000 each, would you say, "Heck no, I'm not going to buy that because I hate Wal-Mart!!!"

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #20 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 07:23 AM
Who is John Galt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
If Wal-Mart was selling NIB KB SOHC or DOHC supercharger setups for $1000 each, would you say, "Heck no, I'm not going to buy that because I hate Wal-Mart!!!"
Probably . . . that and I really don't plan on putting a supercharger on my Vic.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #21 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 07:51 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar_guy04 View Post
Probably . . . that and I really don't plan on putting a supercharger on my Vic.
So you wouldn't buy it, and put on on eBay and double your money.

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #22 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
Save the Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post

I have yet to understand why someone would spend twice the money for the exact same item.

So my vote is:

Let me ask you Wal-Mart haters this: If Wal-Mart was selling NIB KB SOHC or DOHC supercharger setups for $1000 each, would you say, "Heck no, I'm not going to buy that because I hate Wal-Mart!!!"

I sure wouldn't buy a KB supercharger if production has been subbed-out to the Zhegjiang Robot Power Machinery Co. to reduce costs. Which it likely will, because that's the only place KB can afford to manufacture them for Walmarts price point. Walmarts never ending march for low-low supplier prices is as relentless as communism itself.

If you want to put cheap crap like that on top your engine then go right ahead. Myself i can't afford to be cheap like that, too risky...

Now a $45 weed-wacker with a Zhegjiang 2-stroke "robot engine" on it, i might risk buying that one and see what happens...

Quote:
I have yet to understand why someone would spend twice the money for the exact same item
"exact same item" - Would that be before or after Walmart has pressured their supplier to offshore production to reduce costs (and quality too), or else...?

No wonder you don't get why people won't buy the "exact same thing"* they used to buy, only for less because now it's cheaply (as is poor quality) made in China.

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society

Last edited by Southpaw; 04-22-2008 at 10:18 AM.
post #23 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:10 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Bird_Babe View Post
I transfered to fabrics and crafts, and 2 months later I got hurt on the job. I herninated 2 discs in my lower back.

Now if you just want my opinion as a customer, I would NEVER take my car to them to work on them. They hire any person off the street, with little experience.
ok how in the hell did you manage to hurt your back in fabrics in crafts? thats why they fought you. thats ridiculous. cloth and buttons arent heavy so you probably were lifting wrong. its spelled out in most employers contracts that if you were not performing your job properly you have no right to workmens comp. you watched the "taking care of your back" video at orientation just like everyone else and you know all about the green zone and team lifting. and there was a sign for you to see posted somewhere to remind you about keeping the item your lifting in the green zone. also if you were lifting beyond your capabilities you could have used one of the supplied back support braces.

i have worked at walmart for the past 3 1/2 years so i have a good idea of what im talking about. im involved with safety claims so i know about the rules spelled out in that employment contract.

as for the oil changes, the most of the botched oil changes stem from stripped oil plugs, stemming from the previous oil change when someone over tightened the plug. then the car has to get hauled to the nearest auto shop to have a ASE tech put an oversized self taping plug in. occasionally some dumbshiite will forget to pull the gasket off the block and make a big mess. we had that happen and we paid for that mans 1997 jettas BRAND NEW engine + dealer installation. he had over 250,000 miles on that car and we bought him a new engine. i would say he came out ahead, wouldnt you? you people frequent a auto enthusiast website... if you want your oil changed right go grab your freaking wrench and your jack and do it yourself...

as for the overseas labor. i hate it. but untill america puts levies on imported products and subsidizes domestic product like china does then we we always see that.

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #24 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:13 AM
6th Gear Poster

yeah its big and nasty, remember what the commies called us? capitalist pigs...

Shipping out to basic training for the army on april 12th!

Bird is on serious down time
post #25 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:18 AM
Sig Nazi & Gallery Moderator

Administrator

Cloth isn't heavy? Um, okay. My mother also hurt herself in fabrics. And she got screwed too.
Don't judge somebody else's job until you have done it. Shame on you.

TBIRDBRAIN - PRESTON
YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN
4/22/63 - 4/23/14
RIP JOEL BENDER
07/30/1979 - 03/26/2006
post #26 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Save the Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob9646 View Post
i have worked at walmart for the past 3 1/2 years so i have a good idea of what im talking about. im involved with safety claims so i know about the rules spelled out in that employment contract.
what you don't know the first thing about is her case. So maybe you shouldn't assume sh*t and jump on her ass about it like you do?

Geez your making Walmart look bad, if that's even possible. Stop being an ass. Or maybe that's exactly what qualifies you to process safety claims for Walmart?

post #27 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
We shop there for bulk items and stocking up on staples (flour, sugar, TP, cereals, frozen pizzas, etc.).

Wouldn't think of buying car parts there, they are no more competitive than a local guy who knows what he's talking about.

Or car service.

Or foods like milk, meat, eggs, produce, etc.

They piss me off in one way though, my wife applied there for part-time work while she's going through school, would still work 40 hours per week (yeah, on top of her school hours). She had to put on the application what days she could work, put nothing under Sunday (that's God's and our day), and not so much as a phone call.

This is a bright, intelligent, attractive woman with a solid work history including managing (one place for 9 years till I married her), and an amazing work reference.

Their loss, they'd rather hire goobers that don't give a rip about their job and quit after a month.

1992 Mercury Cougar XR7 5.0 - Rust In Pieces
1995 Mercury Cougar XR7, rust free Florida car - future 5.0 project

Last edited by Kevin; 04-22-2008 at 10:51 AM.
post #28 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
what you don't know the first thing about is her case. So maybe you shouldn't assume sh*t and jump on her ass about it like you do?

Geez your making Walmart look bad, if that's even possible. Stop being an ass. Or maybe that's exactly what qualifies you to process safety claims for Walmart?
And you should remember that there are ALWAYS two sides to a story.

Without all the facts, NOBODY can make a judgement either for or against.

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #29 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:46 AM
PostWhore

Cougar_Guy04 I'm sure is talikng about necessities. Tooth pase, deodorant, soap etc. That's about all I buy from Wal-Mart. I don't buy clothes, tires, electronics and such.
post #30 of 81 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Save the Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Their loss, they'd rather hire goobers that don't give a rip about their job and quit after a month.
And that is why you won't buy products "like milk, meat, eggs, produce, etc." there, neither will I. I suggest you stop with the frozen foods too. Anything that requires refrigeration is playing Russian Roulette.

When they got into the supermarket biz my ex sister-in-law thought it was great until she bought some strip steaks there, rancid ones just like mentioned above of course. lol

I've seen too many examples of terrible cold-food handling practices there. I'll never trust them to handle refrigerated goods they way they should be cared for. low-low-wage stockers just don't give a f*ck whether their handling hot dogs or tampons.

Last edited by Southpaw; 04-22-2008 at 10:59 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in