Car Payments for Life... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Car Payments for Life...

Many of the people I work with buy brand new cars every 2 - 3 years.

They trade in their 3 year old car (often taking a loss due to the depreciation) and get a new car with usually a slightly higher payment.

Can someone explain why someone would do that?!?!?

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

Its a status symbol. "Look how wealthy I am!"
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:50 AM
PostSlut

I hate living in debt.
Therefore, I don't.

Why do sheeple do it? who knows.

Honestly, there is nothing wong with owning a vehicle after it is paid off.

I currently have zero car payments, I have no credit card payments.
Only thing I'm in debt for(besides regular bills....but those are not debt), is my mortgage.

Oweing nothing to no-one is great.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, that is right up there with leasing. I understand leasing to a point for some people, but then again not really.

I bought two cars making payments, and one was my 89 Cougar. Wait, I still have it after 15 years, and the 00 Grand Marquis, which I bought used in 2001.

I like to think I pick a car I am going to like for awhile, be able to maintain and keep it going for awhile, then when it worth nothing, keep driving it for another 10 years

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:05 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

People at work bust my ba**s about my cars and they are the ones with new pick ups, suv's or other cars that cost more money than I would ever spend. We have one car payment and that is all I want I don't know how these people have 2 or 3 car payments and drive the vehicles they drive with gas reaching $4.00 per gallon and the insurance on them.

1995 LX 4.6 Stock for now.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
My brother leases, its not bad his payments are reasonable, he has an 06 Altima, nice car and with the monthly payments hes making it really is worth it, and thats with no down payment. I guess it all depends on where you go and when. I personally can not see myself doing it because every vehicle I ever owned didn't remain stock for more then a day. If it was stereo, or tints, or even stuff like exhaust or something like that. My next car I will be buying new and paying it off outright because I hate making payments.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
boredom with cars and they want the all flash no dash

i do the same but I just buy cheaper cars - lol

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Who is John Galt?

Couldn't tell you . . . hell, I was leery of putting a car payment over my head given current circumstances, but it's the last car I plan on buying for a long time and I sure as hell plan on paying it off early.

It always amazed me at the number of people in my hometown (little rural farming town) that would have brand new trucks/SUV's/cars every couple of years. I guess it's a status thing for most folks . . . which would explain why I never saw a point in it.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:07 AM
shaken, not stirred

You know if this country would decide to make more cars that people actually want, like the MN12, they wouldnt be trading them in every other year. Live debt free, like Dave Ramsey says!!!

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

My T-bird is the only vehicle I took a loan out for, and that was in 2001 when I was 18 and still in High School.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
The simple answer is they have short attention spans and want instant gratification. People know they can afford X/month for a car payment, so they buy what they can afford. But then they realize the car they bought is a cheap piece of crap, so they need a new one so they trade it in on another of the same. They never stop to think about how much they are paying in total and what a nice car they could have instead if they would just keep it for a while or buy something that is a few years old instead of brand new. I have this argument all the time with a guy I work with, and he just can't see the problem with making payments forever. The only response he has is "buy you get a new car every 3 years". I think these people who do this just don't appreciate anything that they have, so once they have the opportunity to trade-up, they jump on it, not thinking about how much money it is costing them over time.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:34 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I substite the quality of my car
with the quantity I have in my driveway.

one of my coworkers was complaining the other day about his lease payments.... a grand a month... what what?!? jeezzzus thats almost my morgage payment.... not to mention thats about what I'd spend on a car total.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Boom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar_guy04 View Post
Couldn't tell you . . . hell, I was leery of putting a car payment over my head given current circumstances, but it's the last car I plan on buying for a long time and I sure as hell plan on paying it off early.

It always amazed me at the number of people in my hometown (little rural farming town) that would have brand new trucks/SUV's/cars every couple of years. I guess it's a status thing for most folks . . . which would explain why I never saw a point in it.
You've got a good car now...should last awhile

I'm getting out of my car payment and into something paid for in cash...probably a 5-7 year old GT.

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 07:23 AM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Why do people buy new cars ever 3-4 years....
Because nobody in this country knows how to do a damned thing for themselves anymore. They just write a check to fix whatever breaks,and they can't afford to have it break after the warranty is expired. Ignorance is bliss,and Americans in the majority fit this classification.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 AM
Save the Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
Many of the people I work with buy brand new cars every 2 - 3 years.

They trade in their 3 year old car (often taking a loss due to the depreciation) and get a new car with usually a slightly higher payment.

Can someone explain why someone would do that?!?!?
Because they can. Just because your frugal doesn't mean everyone else should be too.

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:31 AM
Raoul Duke

I think it's a habit that has evolved in this country over the past 20 years or so. I've had jobs with decent income where I used to live; I never wanted to spend my hard-earned money on a lease payment. I like owning my Cougar, even if it's 12 years old. It's still mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Because they can. Just because your frugal doesn't mean everyone else should be too.
You have an uncanny knack for making somebody feel stupid for asking a perfectly reasonable question.

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 AM
Save the Panther

My comment made you feel stupid? If so that says more about you then me... Or are you an empath who's channeling DD4.6's pain?

Just because someone is frugal doesn't mean everyone else should be too. I've found it difficult to get frugal people to understand why other people aren't frugal about things like they are. I've been around and round that path with my mother. If your frugal it's never going to make sense to you why i or anyone else does something that isn't frugally minded. lol

Why do frugal people have to be judgemental about what other people do with their hard earned money?

Nothing wrong with being frugal. Just don't waste your time trying to analyze why everyone else isn't frugal just like you. It'a fruitless exercise. Thus why i said "Because they can. Just because your frugal doesn't mean everyone else should be too".

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society

Last edited by Southpaw; 04-26-2008 at 09:00 AM.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Raoul Duke

I'm just making an observation.

90% of your posts make you look like a pretentious ass. Are you like that in real life?

1996 Mercury Cougar XR7
4.6 - Dynomax-Equipped - Tranny Cooler - 3.27 T/L - 125k Miles
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Save the Panther

No, only in your world.

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Is it even possible for you to make a post that stays on topic or at least does not attack someone?!?!?!

I was wondering why people do what they do. Maybe there were people on here that could answer it. While I think it is not a good move (especially when these same people are constantly complaining about not having any money...) it is obviously their choice and their money to spend how they please.

I'm just trying to understand why people that complain about "money being tight" constantly do some of the most wasteful thing they can do? I was trying to learn something that I don’t understand!!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Is it even possible for you to make a post that stays on topic or at least does not attack someone?!?!?!

I was wondering why people do what they do. Maybe there were people on here that could answer it. While I think it is not a good move (especially when these same people are constantly complaining about not having any money...) it is obviously their choice and their money to spend how they please.

I'm just trying to understand why people that complain about "money being tight" constantly do some of the most wasteful thing they can do? I was trying to learn something that I don’t understand!!
Because you have it backwards. Its not that people who don't have money go out and waste it, its that people who go out and waste their money don't have much left over, which they complain about. They just don't see the causal connection between spending all your money, and not having any money. Here's a perfect example, my stepfather's brother. He is an auto mechanic and owns his own shop, so he makes pretty good money, probably in the neighborhood of $120K/year. But, his wife doesn't work, he has a $700K house with a $650K mortgage and $12K/year property taxes, they bought a brand new cadillac escalade, his wife and 2 daughters only wear the absolute nicest clothes so these 2 girls each have 12 pairs of $100 jeans that they will outgrow inside of a year, etc. This would all be fine except that he's always complaining about being broke and having no money to re-invest into his business to make his job easier. To him, the concept of not having all of these things is out of the question, so he is going to continue to be stressed out all the time, working long hours, complaining how he has no money, while wasting all the money he makes. If that's how he, or the majority of the people in the country want to live, then have at it, but I really think its just a reflex to most people, and they don't think about why they do it, they just buy a new car every 3 years because its what they think you are supposed to want.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Because you have it backwards. Its not that people who don't have money go out and waste it, its that people who go out and waste their money don't have much left over, which they complain about. They just don't see the causal connection between spending all your money, and not having any money. Here's a perfect example, my stepfather's brother. He is an auto mechanic and owns his own shop, so he makes pretty good money, probably in the neighborhood of $120K/year. But, his wife doesn't work, he has a $700K house with a $650K mortgage and $12K/year property taxes, they bought a brand new cadillac escalade, his wife and 2 daughters only wear the absolute nicest clothes so these 2 girls each have 12 pairs of $100 jeans that they will outgrow inside of a year, etc. This would all be fine except that he's always complaining about being broke and having no money to re-invest into his business to make his job easier. To him, the concept of not having all of these things is out of the question, so he is going to continue to be stressed out all the time, working long hours, complaining how he has no money, while wasting all the money he makes. If that's how he, or the majority of the people in the country want to live, then have at it, but I really think its just a reflex to most people, and they don't think about why they do it, they just buy a new car every 3 years because its what they think you are supposed to want.
if that was me i would make the wife get a job . period. when your that overextended, its a matter of one thing bad happening and its all over

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
And if it was me I would seriously cut back on my spending. But they don't want to hear either of those, and they just want to continue what they are doing. It doesn't bother me, since it isn't my life, but I was just using them to illustrate this idea that a lot of americans have now that you have to have all of these things like the nicest house and the new car, and the name brand everything, and they make life hard on themselves because they never have any money, because they have payments on everything for life.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Last Mrk Send a message via Skype™ to Last Mrk
What bugs me is, a lot of these folks have all this cash for this type of thing but don't put money aside for health insurance instead waiting for the government to provide it.

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Save the Panther

Quote:
huh, wtf? how did i start something by saying... "Because they can. Just because your frugal doesn't mean everyone else should be too."

Geez whatever, I retract my controversial statement. Sorry for causing so much touble.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 10:54 PM
PostWhore

* Car warranties are like 3-5 years depending on the make and model of car...
* Cars aren't built today to last a life time.. (I learnt that with my '96 compared to my '89/91 that FORD dropped the ball ALOT between those years)
* Not everyone is Gifted in the ability to work on their own car...
* Not Everyone is Gifted with the patience to deal with the repair work...
* Not Everyone has the Place to do their own work

So Buying a New car before the warranty runs out of the current one does make sense in this aspect..

As my Ford parts guy once said `You can either be Paying for car payments or paying for parts.' when i said i was tired of always fixing my car(s)

And i'm With Southpaws comment thou.. and allot of people are like that.. `If you don't do/like what i do, then something is wrong with you' kinda mentality..

Also i would Lease a New car myself, and `trade it in' for a newer one every 3 years if i knew i was gonna keep it near stock or where it could be reverted back to stock.. But with me, that may never happens ever...
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Mrk View Post
What bugs me is, a lot of these folks have all this cash for this type of thing but don't put money aside for health insurance instead waiting for the government to provide it.
i dont think they are. Most of these said people are most likely "republicans" and drive an H2 and for some twisted reason they buy said brick on tires with single digit fuel economy because they are "supporting the troops". But they really dont have all of this cash, they are, as my boss says....a 10 cent millionaire. They have homes in very affluent gated communities with outrageous mortgages, and like to look wealthy. I would hate to see what their credit card statement says. They buy these things to outdo the neighbor with the Escalade on 24s or the Excursion that they need for the two children. Wifey drive a 7 series, wears $300 sunglasses, and when you ask her what she does, she will probably tell you what she likes to do. You know, typical things...pilates, tennis, tanning, manicures, play hide the tubesteak with the poolguy. But dont worry, that interest only mortgage they took out on the 4,000 square foot house with a three car garage will run out in another year or two and the materialistic, keeping up with the Joneses lifestyle will become real painful. Wifey will have to get a job after the husband comes home early because he got laid off, poolboy will get shot, divorce will follow, she will get nothing, house will go into foreclosure, etc.......

how do i know this? because i walked outside to the back of my store one day and watched a mirror image of the same scenario being played out....wifey got caught playing tonsil hockey with the contractor and the husband caught them....no gun play, though. (i was hoping for a little violence)

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in