Traffic Lights - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Resident Line Creator

Send a message via AIM to th3subtl3on3
Traffic Lights

A friend of mine and I were discussing the traffic lights around our area, and how it seems as though their timing has been altered. We both commute to work approximately 30 minutes, but in two different locations. Lately, we have noticed that traffic has increased at certain intersections, and the lights either change as soon as a car approaches the line, or they don't stay green as long as they used too. Has anyone else encountered the same? It just seems unusual since the price of gas is increasing, that they are timing the lights differently so we hit more of them. Sort of like, "Hey, gas prices are increasing, let's alter the lights so they consume even more!"

-Brian
1989 Mercury Cougar - Anything but the Ordinary

Fully Built 4.2 Coming Soon, Parts include:
SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

It May Not Be Pretty When Finished, But It'll Perform Pretty Darn Well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Yep it seams the same way here in Philly at times Hmmmmmm

LOL Just noticed Bud we are in the same area

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
Well they do alter traffic light timing for various reasons, and many light systems can alter their timing based on load, time of day, etc.

I think it's quite a bit of a stretch to imply that there is some kind of conspiracy to use more gas being perpetrated by traffic engineers...

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Resident Line Creator

Send a message via AIM to th3subtl3on3
True, it may not be related to the gas prices, but for the time that I have been driving the same route to work, this is the first time I have noticed any changes in the lights.

-Brian
1989 Mercury Cougar - Anything but the Ordinary

Fully Built 4.2 Coming Soon, Parts include:
SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

It May Not Be Pretty When Finished, But It'll Perform Pretty Darn Well.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
You never know... this might be getting implemented:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NG8N61MGG1.DTL

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 03:51 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
You never know... this might be getting implemented:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NG8N61MGG1.DTL
Many towns have done this and found that they didn't pay for themselves once word got out they were in there. Everyone basically stopped running lights and speeding around them. Kinda funny if you ask m. I'm not a fan of having cameras everywhere though, too big-brother-like.

I'm Mister_T and I approve this message.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:55 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
I was thinking to myself the other day that it had been taking longer to get to places I go on a regular basis. I chalked it up to congestion but I noticed it being that way on a daily basis now. Weather or not it has to do with gas prices I couldn't say , it does seem like a stretch but who knows?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:31 PM
PostWhore

Yea I’m pretty sure there’s one in my area too. I think it’s a little dangerous though, it caused me to drive through a red light for the first time since it turned red so fast. There was a car starting to move in the other lane too. I know it was mostly my fault but if the light change was normal timing it would have been 100% fine.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

In a town out about 10,000, there is a main intersection linking the south side to the center of the city. between 9pm and midnight, and only then, it blinks yellow/red. For some dumb reason, at midnight, it starts it's normal cycle.

Or how about this, there is a store directly on a corner of an intersection. Some traffic engineer decided that people shouldn't be allowed to turn on to the road 30 feet from the intersection. So they block off the entrance and build an access road 1000 feet away from the intersection, leading to the store (and no where else). To build this road, they took out TWO full size ball fields. The owner of the store sold the next week, as nearly half his business was from people at the ball fields!

Meanwhile, not half a mile away is the third most dangerous intersection in the state, and they do nothing. That intersection is less than 100 feet from a blind hill on a major route that has a 40mph speed limit. I know a lot of cars on the road can't stop in that distance, and it gets proved over and over about once a month.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in