Auction Sniping - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Auction Sniping

Do any of you guys/gals use any sniping services?

Most of time, I'm bidding on auctions from my house and since I'm on dial up..... I can only bid within a few minutes of the end of an auction and usually see the price go up and I win, or I get outbid.

So anyway, I'm considering a sniping service that bids in the final seconds and was wondering what everyone uses.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Boom.

Broadband.

Sorry, I couldn't resist

TCCoABAMFC - Founding Member
Official Member of the TCCoA Evil Underground Moderator Conspiracy
TCCoA Gun Club

2003 Mach 1 - 4.6L DOHC V8/4R70W

1995 Cougar XR7 - PI 4.6L SOHC V8
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I always get into an argument with my father about this. He uses one, I refuse to. I say it is manipulating the system and having been on the other end of that, I won't do it. He says that all it does is prevent bidding wars, since if you only bid once on an item, and bid the amount you were actually willing to pay, it wouldn't matter when you bid. I think it takes a regular auction and turns it into a silent auction, which isn't fair to the seller (who paid for an open auction and on average would get less money from a silent auction with nobody got into bidding wars) or to the other bidders who are going into an open auction that they don't know is a silent auction.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
I always get into an argument with my father about this. He uses one, I refuse to. I say it is manipulating the system and having been on the other end of that, I won't do it. He says that all it does is prevent bidding wars, since if you only bid once on an item, and bid the amount you were actually willing to pay, it wouldn't matter when you bid. I think it takes a regular auction and turns it into a silent auction, which isn't fair to the seller (who paid for an open auction and on average would get less money from a silent auction with nobody got into bidding wars) or to the other bidders who are going into an open auction that they don't know is a silent auction.
Good points.... so which one does your father use?

I've been the seller on some "bidding wars" and, true, it is great for the seller. However, the majority of my non-paying bidders were from winners of bidding wars. They seem to get wrapped up in the bidding and bid higher than they are willing to pay.... I loathe non-paying bidders.

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 02:04 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
While I agree with you, the old adage, "If you can't beat'em, join'em." comes to mind. I personally haven't ever used the sniping thing, I just bid in the last 30 seconds or so. I have high speed though, so that helps. However, I think a lot of people use this tactic, so even the whole 7-day auction thing is really kind of pointless except for the fact that your item gets more hits and potential buyers.

-Rob

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 02:11 PM
Save the Panther

Sorry, the information you request falls under the classification of "trade secrets". Figure it out yer darn self! I'm not going to help you outbid me for mn12 parts!

oh and as a buyer i agree with Mike's dad on bidding strategy.

As a seller i've never had a problem with crafting my auctions so that they bring in top dollar for that type of item on ebay, even if most or all the bids come in at the last minute. And those last minute new bidders usually know exactly what it was worth to them and no more, and they pay right up with no problems.

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I don't know what one he uses. It never interested me since I don't approve of it to begin with. Non-paying bidders are aggrivating, but not as bad as the scammers that are on there now. I wonder if they use sniping programs?

As for the "If you can't beat'em, join'em", I prefer to go down fighting than to succumb to the pressure of others.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
.223 55gr Remington

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:22 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
I'm not too mad about it, I just don't do it. It's the same as idiots and shipping prices. Some jackass tried to tell me recently that it was going to cost him 17 dollars to ship me a [motorcycle] turn signal switch. I had to laugh.

As a seller, I always get the sale if I charge a reasonable shipping price and post a well-worded, concise, auction with good photographs. It's as easy as that.

Back to sniping, I don't think of ebay as a game. I don't know, some people really get off on sniping so they can save 6 cents, I have a life and some patience and am an adult, so no sniping.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 03:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Keady View Post
Back to sniping, I don't think of ebay as a game. I don't know, some people really get off on sniping so they can save 6 cents, I have a life and some patience and am an adult, so no sniping.
I'm going to have to use that line on my dad. Thanks.

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Save the Panther

I don't attempt to save anything so much as avoid over paying for it. I decide exactly what it's worth to me and no more. If at the end of the auction it hasn't surpassed that price i'll put my last second max bid in and see where the chips land.

I can see no point in putting a bid in on something that's going to be up for auction for days to come. Your just inviting counter bids and driving the price up to your detriment. Why would you play that game? It's a waste of time getting in a bidding war with some zero feedback newb with auction fever (and they've always come out of the woodwork every time i've bid early)...

As a seller i can't tell you how many times i've been thrilled to see a sniper with great feedback come in at the last second. I love watching them snatch the prize away from some newb with auction fever who probably wasn't going to pay anyway.

97' Cougar XR7 - Sport Option, 4 Wheel Disc w/ ABS, Moon Roof, Leather Interior, Leather Wrap Wheel & Shifter, Cruise Control, Power Drivers Seat, Power Lock Group, Premium Sound, Power Antenna, K&N Panel Filter - Hey, It came with the car! Florida Panther Society

Last edited by Southpaw; 05-07-2008 at 04:22 PM.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_Keady View Post
Would you snipe if it would save you $100?

I've had at least two auctions that had I sniped, I would have won one, and saved $100 on the other one. My issue is that I can't bid at the last second because I'm on dial up and the screen refreshes are sucking up those last few seconds. If I knew that if I hit the enter key within the last 10 seconds of an auction, I would. But I can't. If I hit refresh with 30 seconds to go, by the time the screen refreshes, the auction is over (or so close to being over that I can't bid in time).

I just don't see the problem with sniping. What is the difference between me sitting there waiting for the very last second to bid (assuming I could!!), vs. using technology to do the exact same thing?

But anyway, which service is everyone using?

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Save the Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
I just don't see the problem with sniping. What is the difference between me sitting there waiting for the very last second to bid (assuming I could!!), vs. using technology to do the exact same thing?

There isn't any difference.

The auction is open until the second it closes at a fixed time. It's as simple as that. That's how a fix end time auction format works. There's nothing wrong with last second bidding however it's done.

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
With cable I have one screen I watch the auction with and keep refreshing it to see the numbers. I also have another window open and set with my highest bidding price on the commit screen. This way I can drop in a bid in the last 2 seconds and it has worked well for me.

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 05:05 PM
5th Gear Poster

So in other words your you own sniping system? Thats actually cool IMO.

97 T-bird Silver 4.6

If it aint one thing its another.
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

94dd if you can upgrade you can get within 5 sec of end if you do broadband.

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 07:30 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M. TCCoA VP View Post
With cable I have one screen I watch the auction with and keep refreshing it to see the numbers. I also have another window open and set with my highest bidding price on the commit screen. This way I can drop in a bid in the last 2 seconds and it has worked well for me.
Great minds think alike...thats what I do. BTW, I met you about 5 years back up at Country Cue on Rt. 1 in Peabody. You came in and asked who drove the T-Bird (which was me since me and my gf were the only other ones in there). Then you told your buddy "See, I told you he'd be on the website." Sorry it looked like crap that day! And too bad I didn't get to see that badass Cougar. Someday

- Mark
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 08:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
Yes, I remeber but that was my oldest boy with me LOL. He's almost 23 years old and in college now. LOL

To the Batmobile ! ! !

post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-08-2008, 10:53 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Jestkdn Send a message via Yahoo to Jestkdn
www.hammersnipe.com

I am as mechanically inclined as Hellen Keller is with a Rubik's Cube!
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-09-2008, 01:39 AM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
Would you snipe if it would save you $100?

I've had at least two auctions that had I sniped, I would have won one, and saved $100 on the other one. My issue is that I can't bid at the last second because I'm on dial up and the screen refreshes are sucking up those last few seconds. If I knew that if I hit the enter key within the last 10 seconds of an auction, I would. But I can't. If I hit refresh with 30 seconds to go, by the time the screen refreshes, the auction is over (or so close to being over that I can't bid in time).

Well I was just explaining why I don't snipe. Again, I have some patience, usually end up finding something nicer and at a better price if I wait a little while. Honestly, I have only been sniped a few times recently. I don't shop for "mission critical" stuff on eBay, anyway, it's too much of a risk of getting a crappy product or getting something packed horribly and damaged.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M. TCCoA VP View Post
That is exactly what I do.

And let me put it this way.

I know exactly what I want to pay. Every time I have put that amount in play before the last few seconds I have lost the auction. Most of the time I win if I can be in front of the computer to do the above. I don't feel bad at all about that because if the person that got outbid wanted it badly enough then they would have bid higher. If they did bid higher then I lose and I don't feel bad because the amount that I bid is exactly as much as I wanted to pay. It's fair either way nobody knew in advace how much the other was willing to bid and the higher bid wins.

But, when I bid early there are those that will bid up until they top my bid. You can see that happen if you look at the history. They are not bidding their max amount up front and I think that is the crap way of going about it.

I bid once and bid the max amount that I will pay.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

Last edited by Darrin; 05-10-2008 at 08:41 AM.
post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 AM

Sometimes I will bid a minimum bid and just forget about it and once in a while it pays off. I picked up an as new takeout set of 3.31 8.8 gears that way

PS: I picked up the gears for .99 cents LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
That is exactly what I do.

And let me put it this way.

I know exactly what I want to pay. Every time I have put that amount in play before the last few seconds I have lost the auction. Most of the time I win if I can be in front of the computer to do the above. I don't feel bad at all about that because if the person that got outbid wanted it badly enough then they would have bid higher. If they did bid higher then I lose and I don't feel bad because the amount that I bid is exactly as much as I wanted to pay. It's fair either way nobody knew in advace how much the other was willing to bid and the higher bid wins.

But, when I bid early there are those that will bid up until they top my bid. You can see that happen if you look at the history. They are not bidding their max amount up front and I think that is the crap way of going about it.

I bid once and bid the max amount that I will pay.

Darrin

To the Batmobile ! ! !

post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:55 AM
Save the Panther

Quote:
exactly

Quote:
People don't seem to grasp, or refuse to use proxy bidding then complain it's unfair that they got sniped? I don't get it...

If you get outbid in the last seconds of an auction it's because you didn't place a high enough proxy bid before the auction closed! Bid the most your willing to pay and that's it. If you lose you lose.

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Veteran Poster

I bid exactly what I want to pay for it, maybe 5-6 seconds before it expires. I win most auctions this way. Good for me, bad for sellers. If you bid early, the bidding war escalates early, and price goes up too soon.
If some halfwit is okay paying OVER retail for a TFS stage I cam, for example (it happened to me, lol), then he can have it. Typically, if it appears something is going WAY over what it should be normally, I will bid repeatedly and drive the bid up for the guy wanting to pay way too much for something, that way, he doesn't save anything.
Yeah, I am a jerk, but most of the parts I am bidding on aren't exactly rare pieces, and shouldn't be ran up to price levels I see occasionally. Good for my entertainment value, good for the seller, bad for the guy who is willing to pay a stupid amount of money for something that is commonly available.
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Poster

I don't use a sniping service, but if it's something I really want, I don't bid until the very end to avoid starting the bidding war early on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in