Ouch!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to AbSeNtEE
Ouch!!

So I was troubleshooting the running rich/rough idle/smoke out the exhaust problem on my bird a week or so ago (typical dead ECU hanging an injector). I was removing spark plug wires to try and find the dead cylinders, but instead of removing parts to pull the wires at the plugs, I was just pulling them off one by one from the coil packs. Well, not thinking, I went to plug one back in while the car was still running. oops. BZZZT. #[email protected]%! A nice jolt of electricity up my fingers. lol

Just a warning to everyone, don't plug/unplug wires from the coil pack while the car is still running. haha

So now a question, how much voltage & amperage did I get up my arm from that (stock) coil pack?

-(\ /)-
(O.O)
(> <)
94 T-Bird LX - 3rd Cat removed - 12" Glasspack for resonator - PBR Brake swap - Air Silencer Removed - 16" ROH ZS Wheels - 89-93 SC bumper - Pioneer Headunit - A Sirius Disorder - 2 10" MTX Thunder 220 Watt Subwoofers - 400 Watt Phoenix Gold Monoblock Amp.
Coming Soon: The Junkyard, R.I.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 03:55 AM
5th Gear Poster

Ha Ha welcome to the club of getting hit by a coil pack. Feels good dont it!!!!!! It WILL wake you up in the morning. Not sure how much but there is a lot of volts, just not a lot of amperage. Ill probably be corrected but I beleve it is around 12,000 volts or so. Once again not sure. I do know it hurts.

97 T-bird Silver 4.6

If it aint one thing its another.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 04:18 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Under the right (or wrong, depending on how you wanna interpret it) conditions, the secondary spark voltage can be lethal.

Should make a point of not poking/messing around with coilpacks, plug wires, boots, etc. while the car is running. At the very least, have properly insulated equipment to use; gloves, tools, etc. Better yet, do your poking around with a dry wooden dowel. Obviously, there's no way to pull wires off the plug with one, but it's best you don't do that anyway when the engine is running.....

Delete my account.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 04:55 PM
Veteran Poster

Hmmm.....Reminds me of when I grabbed a bad plug wire on my old '87 5th Ave. while it was running. Had a bit of a tingle to it.......

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:46 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
These coilpacks are very high voltage; and will charge a vacuum cap to over 160kV.

(They are perfect for high voltage experiments, since both ends of the coil come out.)

Getting hit by one is far worse than a taser, since avoiding lethality wasn't in the design of the car ignition.

Old point style ignition systems tingled a bit, and running your hand up the plug wire with it running was the easiest way to find a bad wire. You really don't want to do that on an MN12.

Ever wonder why our cars eat wires?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 07:54 PM
5th Gear Poster

I've gotten a nice jolt from an explorer and a hid ballast on my car.

Lenore '96 LX 3.8L CarDomain
How to repair your Wiper/Turn Signal Switch
In a perfect world there would be no drag coefficient and honda civics would do 300mph, but then again who would want to go that fast in a tin can?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:05 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Ever pop the hood on a running vehicle at night with the lights off and see that bluish glow around the plug wires?

I remember as a kid probably 10-11 years old, I told my younger brother to hold on to the loose end of the spark plug wire of a push mower. The spark plug was taken out, so when I gave the rope The Big Yank the motor spun freely with no compression.......and my brother danced for the whole time.

Kids.

Delete my account.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 08:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
Ever pop the hood on a running vehicle at night with the lights off and see that bluish glow around the plug wires?
That glow is plasma; it's called 'Coronal Discharge' and it's what eats (burns and carbonizes) the rubber of the plug wire, and makes it break down further. Plasma can eat anything, in time. (I work with HV)

If you can see that, it means the wires are leaking spark, and it will get worse with time.

On my Red Cougar, it meant the Driver's side plugs were worn out; they put the same cheap single platinums in both sides, and they were worn down to nubs.

Cleaning the wires and connections (road salt is a drag), and filling the boots with dielectric grease will cure that, if the plugs are good.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
friends dad was screwing around with the MSD box on his hotrod with the car running, got shocked and was tossed back about 10 ft...be careful.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
friends dad was screwing around with the MSD box on his hotrod with the car running, got shocked and was tossed back about 10 ft...be careful.
+1

Except with me it was a Mallory Hyfire setup. I had a plug wire laying against the header, so I ran my finger between the header and the plug wire (which of course was melted through... ) while the car was running… OUCH!!!

I've been "launched" across a room while connecting a capacitor (named caskets because that is how big they are) in an off-line LORAN transmitter. Note to self: Capacitors can be charged by stray RF from an active LORAN transmitter 40' away!!!

Electricity ain’t nothin’ to mess with!!!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to AbSeNtEE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Thunderbird XX View Post
Under the right (or wrong, depending on how you wanna interpret it) conditions, the secondary spark voltage can be lethal.

Should make a point of not poking/messing around with coilpacks, plug wires, boots, etc. while the car is running. At the very least, have properly insulated equipment to use; gloves, tools, etc. Better yet, do your poking around with a dry wooden dowel. Obviously, there's no way to pull wires off the plug with one, but it's best you don't do that anyway when the engine is running.....

up until that point, I was using some mechanics gloves, but unfortunately it didn't occur to me to put them back on just before I did that

Quote:
Except with me it was a Mallory Hyfire setup. I had a plug wire laying against the header, so I ran my finger between the header and the plug wire (which of course was melted through... ) while the car was running… OUCH!!!
which hurt more, the jolt or the burn from the header?

-(\ /)-
(O.O)
(> <)
94 T-Bird LX - 3rd Cat removed - 12" Glasspack for resonator - PBR Brake swap - Air Silencer Removed - 16" ROH ZS Wheels - 89-93 SC bumper - Pioneer Headunit - A Sirius Disorder - 2 10" MTX Thunder 220 Watt Subwoofers - 400 Watt Phoenix Gold Monoblock Amp.
Coming Soon: The Junkyard, R.I.P.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-12-2008, 08:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
I've been "launched" across a room while connecting a capacitor (named caskets because that is how big they are) in an off-line LORAN transmitter. Note to self: Capacitors can be charged by stray RF from an active LORAN transmitter 40' away!!!
Those caps should have had a shorting bar across the terminals; You don't get many mistakes at that level of power. And they don't call them Caskets because of the shape... If you're lucky, it just blows off a body part. (Electricity=Heat=Steam=POW!)

Some of the experiments I've done were in the realm of '1 screwup only' type scenarios; some surplus caps over a few hundred kilojoules have been known to explode while charging... a big Tesla coil either works, or something blows up.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

12 KV from a coil pack? I think it's more like 50-100 KV for modern ignition systems. Voltage isn't what kills you, it's how much current goes though you. 300 mA of current is all that is required to stop your heart and a coil can put out a good bit more than that. If you're lucky it will travel across the surface of your skin, if you're unlucky it travels through your internals.

My buddy has this extendable taser thingie, it's like an extendable baton except the entire length of it is electrified to almost one million volts. We played with it when it had a nearly dead battery and it still hurt and left welts. Couple days later he comes up behind me with it fully charged and whacks me across the back of the legs. I was on the floor before I realized what was happening, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in