Painted it themsef? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Jestkdn Send a message via Yahoo to Jestkdn
Painted it themself?

Anyone ever paint a car in their garage? My bird has some bad peeling on the roof from a botched paint job a few years back. Was thinkin about painting it my self, but wanted to see if anyone else has done it. Thanks!

I am as mechanically inclined as Hellen Keller is with a Rubik's Cube!

Last edited by Jestkdn; 05-21-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:38 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to alasich
i recently did the front and back bumpers, and the side mirrors. I did it in my carport (dont have a garage).

I would recommend proper prep for the car first, i didnt prep at all, washed and sprayed. Looks pretty decent so far (especially the mirrors).

I'm thinking about prepping the whole car, and doing it since it has alot of scratches and dents on it.

Just make sure if you do it in your garage, have ventalation

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

Muffler removal, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 205/75/R15 Trail Rated Tires, Rear Chrome Removal, Front Fog Lights, Digital Dash Mod, New AOD Transmission with Shift Kit, Air Silencer Delete

~newly painter front and back bumper and side mirrors. Done by me, and quite proud of it!~
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:22 PM
5th Gear Poster

Well I never did the whole car, but I agree with alasich. Prep is the key to any good paint job. You can fix the paint without repainting but if there is dirt or hair or something under it you have to get it out to make it flawless. Not a good hobby with me being a perfectionist.

97 T-bird Silver 4.6

If it aint one thing its another.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:28 PM
5th Gear Poster

ya, my bumpers and mirrors look awesome from a few feet away, and in pictures, but up close you can see holes that were in the bumper etc etc. From now on, if im going to do it, im gonna do it proper the first time!

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

Muffler removal, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 205/75/R15 Trail Rated Tires, Rear Chrome Removal, Front Fog Lights, Digital Dash Mod, New AOD Transmission with Shift Kit, Air Silencer Delete

~newly painter front and back bumper and side mirrors. Done by me, and quite proud of it!~
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

I can prep it, that's not a problem. Expensive part will be the paint as well though. I would like to stay the same metallic red, but am open to changing. Anyone have pics of their homemade paintjobs?

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:44 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to Robert M Send a message via Yahoo to Robert M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jestkdn View Post
I can prep it, that's not a problem. Expensive part will be the paint as well though. I would like to stay the same metallic red, but am open to changing. Anyone have pics of their homemade paintjobs?
If you spray metallic for your first paint job I think you will not be happy, But it is better then no paint at all. I would look into MAACO. they are cheap and you just drop it off and pick it up. Check them out.

Too much to do, Never enough $$$$$$!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM
5th Gear Poster

i can post some close up photos of mine if you are interested later

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alasich View Post
i can post some close up photos of mine if you are interested later
Sure if you dont mind.

Well, being that Red fades fast here in the Central Valley, what other colors dont fade as fast....no, I'm not going PHATBIRD Orange either.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM
5th Gear Poster

no problem, i'll take some when i get home. Anyway, white doesnt really fad so much, but it personally isn't my color (no offense to everyones white car, they look amazing). I also like dark blue's, like a royal blue. Dads 94 car still shines like tomorrow, but its always garaged when its at home

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 PM
5th Gear Poster

sorry, all picts are on my phone, which is in for repair, should get it back soon though

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 08:03 PM
2nd Gear Poster

i work out of my garage. used to work out of my car port before i moved. i would paint some there or rent a both for some of the highend projects
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwnsc View Post
i work out of my garage. used to work out of my car port before i moved. i would paint some there or rent a both for some of the highend projects

Got any pics of the finished product?

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 08:12 PM
2nd Gear Poster

heres my photobucket album http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm191/nwnsc/ the pics of the 29 dodge. that car is get in painted next week i did the frame this weekend and sent it for assy. whille i finsh the body

Last edited by nwnsc; 05-21-2008 at 08:17 PM.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 08:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Sure if you dont mind.

Well, being that Red fades fast here in the Central Valley, what other colors dont fade as fast....no, I'm not going PHATBIRD Orange either.

i would hope not, its a nasty color!

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:32 PM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
one thing to be aware of if you paint it in your garage is that chances are there will be some dirt dust hair etc that will get involved.... maybe a lot of it. if you choose a color and type of paint that is not sandable (ie: metallic or pearls) you are never going to be satisfied. you can sand and perfect the clear all day, but you will still see the dirt etc. this is not even factoring in skill with the gun. personally, i'd recommend that you prep it at home, but rent a booth to spray the final project. i went through a lot of BS with doing exactly what you say you want to do...

-John
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 03:15 AM
2nd Gear Poster

if you do spray at home get every thing clean as posable and wet down the floor, walls, yard, next doors yard, every where!! to keep the dirt down. and use base clear, get it coverd with base nib it with 1500 put 2 more coats of base then rewet every thing. then clear coat it. i did a lot of ricer body kits in my car port this way and only had a little buffing to do when i was done. if i buffed them at all because they allready looked better then the maaco pant job on the rest of the car
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Welp, looks like I wont be doing it myself. Stepdad knows a guy that will primer and paint it, all I need to do is prep it. Going to get back to me with a price. I would LIKE to change the color, but not 100% sure on it right now.

post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 06:00 PM
5th Gear Poster

I see these threads every so often. Painting a car is not like painting a wall in your house.

You have to really know what you are doing or you will end up screwing it up. MACCO, though I despise them, are a good alternative to doing it yourself. By the time you run up the bill on all the supplies you need, you will have probley exceeded the cost they would have charged you in the first place.

If you insist on doing it yourself, find yourself a few good books on auto painting and finishing, then find a reputable painter and talk shop with him/her. Problem with that is, reading and doing are two different things.

Besides, painting a car in a garage without proper ventilation and exhaust can be EXTREMELY dangerous.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Yeah, that's why I am letting him do it. I can prep, no problem.

Anyone know where I can auto paint for a good price?

post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 06:55 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Yeah, that's why I am letting him do it. I can prep, no problem.

Anyone know where I can auto paint for a good price?
call around the local auto paint stores in your area. You can get stuff shipped but thats normally REALLY expensive since it's hazardous material.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 07:17 PM
2nd Gear Poster

http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/tarps/Kits.html i have got HOK at lower prices than the paint store here before and the kirker kits are ok for cheap paint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in