Should I Trade My 94 for a 93? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94trouble
Should I Trade My 94 for a 93?

well i was looking at this bird for a couple months now, its a dark green with tan interior. It has the 5.0 in it and new UCA's with ball joints. The only thing i dont like about it is the dash, and the interior color. Now my 94 needs new suspension, a paint job, new cats,EGR, and thats bout it. The 94 also has 162,112k on it and the 93 has 83k on it. The owner wants $2500 cash or he said he will trade straight up for it. I have 8 months to save up $2500 or i can trade straight up next friday. Which one should i go with? Isnt the 5.0 a little worse on gas? any input is appreciated.

Wrecked my 94LX looking to get another car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

do it........

AAAAA: American Association Against Acronym Abuse

Click here if you are an idiot

Llama!!!

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:26 PM
PostWhore

Sorry but something sounds fishy. He is willing to trade you straight up for a car with almost double the mileage, and needs front end work, exhaust work and paint.

I say NO! That is to good to be true.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:29 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLA View Post
Sorry but something sounds fishy. He is willing to trade you straight up for a car with almost double the mileage, and needs front end work, exhaust work and paint.

I say NO! That is to good to be true.
+1 ask him for a test drive and drive the **** out of it. see if anything falls off or is its even runnin right. who knows.. maybe he just wants a new project car.. or maybe hes just dumb.. either way ask him for a test drive

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
+1 ask him for a test drive and drive the **** out of it. see if anything falls off or is its even runnin right. who knows.. maybe he just wants a new project car.. or maybe hes just dumb.. either way ask him for a test drive
i forgot to add that the 93 needs a battery and a starter. He is going to use the 94 for a cruiser/back up car, the front end he can do himself because he drives a maxima daily, and he just wants the 93 gone.

and yes i am going to test the car before i buy it

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:38 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94trouble View Post
well i was looking at this bird for a couple months now, its a dark green with tan interior. It has the 5.0 in it and new UCA's with ball joints. The only thing i dont like about it is the dash, and the interior color. Now my 94 needs new suspension, a paint job, new cats,EGR, and thats bout it. The 94 also has 162,112k on it and the 93 has 83k on it. The owner wants $2500 cash or he said he will trade straight up for it. I have 8 months to save up $2500 or i can trade straight up next friday. Which one should i go with? Isnt the 5.0 a little worse on gas? any input is appreciated.
Save up the $2,500 and spend that on fixing your car up. $2,500 is more than enough to totally rebuild your suspension with performance parts. I know, I did my suspension for less than that.

I don't care if the '93 has fewer miles and a 5.0. The '94 with the new modular 4.6 is a superior car with a superior engine. Hell, you can buy decent used '94's and '95's around here for $2,500 If you really want to replace your car keep looking for a clean 94 or 95.

If you're not happy with the dash or interior color then don't get it! Run, don't walk away from that car and don't look back.

Just my .02¢

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion« Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to allenc1007
keep your 94 and invest in it instead of someone else's head ache. I fought the same battle with my 91-keep it and fix it or sell it for a mustang. well, i kept my bird and I love it!

91 5.0 Cold Air Kit(air box delete),76mm C&L MAF, 70mm TB, 24lb Inj, Jet Performance Chip, Headers+Custom Ex, 3:55 Limited slip
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 06:56 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Save up the $2,500 and spend that on fixing your car up. $2,500 is more than enough to totally rebuild your suspension with performance parts. I know, I did my suspension for less than that.

I don't care if the '93 has fewer miles and a 5.0. The '94 with the new modular 4.6 is a superior car with a superior engine. Hell, you can buy decent used '94's and '95's around here for $2,500 If you really want to replace your car keep looking for a clean 94 or 95.

If you're not happy with the dash or interior color then don't get it! Run, don't walk away from that car and don't look back.

Just my .02¢
all i have to say is my ass! your so full of it if you think a 94-95 4.6 is in any form better than a 5.0 , besides those 1st year 4r70w's were not better than a decent aod.

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

allright im having mixed emotions about my decision now. Im leaning more towards the 93 now, because its an overall better car. the paint is really good all it needs is a wash and a good clay bar. Allright ill list all of the things i can about the 93 and my car.

The 93:

has 83k
has new UCA's
it needs a battery
needs a starter
interior needs to cleaned
needs some basic maintnence like,oil change,spark plugs,fuel filter ect.
BUT THE 93 HAS SAT FOR ABOUT 1 YEAR. im gonna put some seafoam in the tank and new gas and see if will run.

the 94:
needs new front end
needs a tranny fluid change
needs new rotors and pads
it has new tires on it...i bought em about 2 weeks ago
the cats are bieng changed right now in my highschool auto shop
the EGR has been changed for a new one
still needs a paint job.

I talked to the guy again today and he said he want the 94 because he's looking to actually paint the car himself because he's getting into painting cars. He also said he can do the front end himself.

Im defianatley leaning more towards the 93.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Go for the 93! The 5.0s are a little worse on gas than the 4.6, but they can still do 26mpg on the highway, so they aren't bad. Stock for stock, the 5.0 is slower than the 4.6, but that's mostly due to the crappy gear ratios in the AOD. Just like the 4.6, the 5.0 will run forever if you take care of it. Unlike the 94/95 4.6, the valve guides actually last in the 5.0 so you won't have to worry about it burning oil as it gets older. As for the interior, I personally prefer the older style interior, but I think I'm the only one.

Basically, either car can be made nice, and with some mods, they will be pretty even in terms of speed, but it sounds like the 93 is in much better shape than your 94, so it's probably a better place to start. Oh, and keep in mind, the starter on a 5.0 is an easy half-hour job, compared to the 1.5hrs spent cursing every ford engineer while changing the starter on a 4.6.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:24 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Oh, and keep in mind, the starter on a 5.0 is an easy half-hour job, compared to the 1.5hrs spent cursing every ford engineer while changing the starter on a 4.6.
having to do that this morning on my 4.6... ill second that lil fact..

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeyL View Post
Oh, and keep in mind, the starter on a 5.0 is an easy half-hour job, compared to the 1.5hrs spent cursing every ford engineer while changing the starter on a 4.6.
boy you aint kiddin

I'M BACK
97 Supercharged Ford Thunderbird with warpdrive
Check out my Gallery

vist the Man RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

mikey i like the early interior better as well, i think it feels better to the driver, the only reason i did the 94+ on the 92 was i couldnt find the parts needed to repair it , btw i have a set of nice grey leather door panels for a early cat (93)

69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
mn12 less!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

that said go for the 93

mn12 less!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:03 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to CaifanSC Send a message via Yahoo to CaifanSC
another vote for the 93....in my view, the 5.0 mn12's are not THAT common like 4.6 mn12's.

1993 SC 5.0L V8 Auto Red
1994 SC 5-speed Teal
1995 SC 5-speed Chameleon Blue
1992 Feature Mustang Convertible 5.0L 5-speed Vibrant Red
1991 BMW 850i 5.0L V12 6-speed Red
1994 BMW 850CSi 5.6L V12 6-speed Red
Sold: 89 SC stick Titanium, 90 35th stick, 92 Sport 5.0L stick, 94 SC stick Black, 1994 SC Auto Teal Totaled: 89 SC auto Twilight Blue
www.mamn12.com for your mid-atlantic mn12 needs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in