working for the man sucks - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

working for the man sucks

has anybody ever tried doing a home based business and succeded?
i know i've never met anyone personally(except maybe from "amway",but maybe he was full of it too).i must lead a sheltered life-NOT-because according to all these sure fire bussiness schemes of which there are too many to count,there are so many people making a killing on these businesses that you think you would run into or maybe know someone who knows one or has a relative whose into it.
everything is changing and there is probably only a handfull of things that will work. if i could just get some insite from somebody who knows somthig about something. i'm sure it would'nt be too hard to get a grant or a first time business loan but i know you need a plan before you can talk to anybody.
can ya feel the fustration?

02 PI explorer,SVO Supercharger,Meth Injection,80mm GT MAF,Tuned by Jerry,GT air box,K&N filter,30lbs injectors,190 LPH fuel pump,3.73 TL,02 GT trans,02 GT converter,ART True duals,High flow cats,dynomax mufflers,Front cross drilled rotors and PBR dual piston calipers,Poly bushings,SC halfshafts,Lincoln leather seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Drug dealers are probably the most successful home business going....

There is a LOT of things to consider about running your own business, especially if you want grants and/or loans. You will need to prove to those with the money that you are trained and/or experienced in managing a business.

Then factor in that you'll be married to the business for the first 3 - 5 years, your income will vary week to week, etc.....

There are a lot of things to be said for paid vacations, knowing what your paycheck will be week to week, etc.

But there are a lot of things to be said for being your own boss, doing things right vs. cheapest, seeing your income directly proportional to your hard work (usually), etc.

I feel your pain!! I not only work for the man, I work for THE MAN and he's my Uncle....(Uncle Sam that is)

However.... I’ll be off work today at 1330 through 0600 02 June… and it will only cost me 27 hours of paid vacation… my check won’t change. Which makes up for the daily BS…

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

drug dealers are the scum of the earth,we wont go there.
i understand that you need a plan of action such as what it is your interested in first of all.
a portfilio of what it will cost for licenses,insurance, inventory if you want one,projection on what it will cost annually to operate,loction, maket ability...etc ect ect
i was considering a self storage for peoples seasonal toys or just access BS that they don't have room for but don't want to part with.
plus a successful business has it's own rewards especially when your done raising kids and you and momma can marry it together.

02 PI explorer,SVO Supercharger,Meth Injection,80mm GT MAF,Tuned by Jerry,GT air box,K&N filter,30lbs injectors,190 LPH fuel pump,3.73 TL,02 GT trans,02 GT converter,ART True duals,High flow cats,dynomax mufflers,Front cross drilled rotors and PBR dual piston calipers,Poly bushings,SC halfshafts,Lincoln leather seats
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 11:43 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1957 View Post
I don't know about that, they seemed to have helped make my life more interesting. I always saw it the other way around; the scum of the earth are the ones who believe they deserve to live because they are perfect and holy in all ways and never messed up in life.

I'm Mister_T and I approve this message.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 02:07 PM
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to fiveohbird
Find something everybody wants or needs and sell it at a reasonable price. That's how Bill Gates started out. Nobody else sold a home based operating system, so he took advantage of it. Its even better if you dont have competition. Then you can jack your prices up.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper1957 View Post
I wouldn't say that. They exploit a weakness that other people have to make money off of it. Certainly that isn't the most honorable thing to do, but it isn't the scum of the earth either. Both the drug dealer and the drug user come to an agreement that one will sell certain goods to the other at a certain price, and both parties think they walk away happy. In reality the money probably doesn't buy happiness for the drug dealer, and the drugs don't provide happiness for the user, but this just means both parties are ill-informed and made bad choices, not that they are the scum of the earth.

That title should be reserved for politicians!

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
Drug dealers are probably the most successful home business going....
its great until you get shot if the face over some crack or thrown in the slammer with bubba

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
im looking forward to teaching American History in the fall....

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 02:52 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
im looking forward to teaching American History in the fall....
Hell yea man, this fall I start NKU for teaching Social studies. I always figured it's kick ass to teach people what America used to be about. Freedom in all aspects of life.

I'm Mister_T and I approve this message.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 04:51 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Had my own business and I won't do it again. I had a customer that wanted me full time, so enough regular hours was not any problem. Health insurance was the biggie, if you are covered by your spouse or retired military you might consider it. You have to pay double social security and that adds up. I was paid on invoices so could not cheat the tax man. Most people that can do good are in retail with cash sales. Some of the cash sales are pocketed, so no social security or taxes on that and it reduces your profit. I have known several in retail businesses and they all did it.
Then you need to consider no sick pay, vacation, holidays, or 401k match if you get those. With most companies you get 2 weeks sick, 2 weeks vacation, and 2 weeks of holidays. When you work for yourself you are on your own and you just seem to work more hours.
It might sound tempting to be your own boss, but it comes with a price.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2

Last edited by Dusty; 05-25-2008 at 06:48 AM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_T View Post
Hell yea man, this fall I start NKU for teaching Social studies. I always figured it's kick ass to teach people what America used to be about. Freedom in all aspects of life.
just remember, its not freedom you want, its liberty.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 06:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
and justice for all.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
One Nation, under Dog, invisible, with dignity and hospice in the mall. Or something.

Anyway, I think the key to your own business is the following:

Step 1: Come up with a product or service that people will want.
Step 2: Create a business model for delivering and marketing that product or service.
Step 3: Work your a$$ off networking and getting the word out.
Step 4: Profit.

Many people try to do it like this:

Decide to be own boss; stay up all night thinking up a half-a$$ed scheme to get rich and work at home; spend a lot of money on things to "get the business off the ground", and then finally, fail miserably with a lot of debt.

FWIW, the second scenario is the one that you want to avoid. If you don't have a good idea for something that people will want to pay good money for (more than once), and most of the time if you're not already making some money doing that, then you should NOT quit your day job to explore the freedoms of working at home.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativedetroiter View Post
and justice for all.
and a black semi-auto rifle with a holosight and laser in every house

"Booyah". Stu Scott.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in