never buying a 95 again.. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
never buying a 95 again..

well i wasnt sure where to post this and it isnt really for sale yet but whatever..

all of you guys that have had you 94/5 birds be nice to you.. well it must be nice.. out of the 4 tbirds ive had (89,93,95,96) this one is the worse.. ive never had so many problems with a car ive owned... i hate to say it but my 96 blazer didnt cause me this many problems and cost me so much money..

going for a job interview today.. stopped to get some gas, walked in, payed, pumped the gas, and sat down , turned the key.... nothing... tryed it a few more times and the best i could get out of it was a single turn of the motor.. ive been bangin on the starter all week to get it to start so this wasnt completely unexpected.. just the wrong damn time to do it. get the new starter in.. and it starts right up.. only to blow oil all over my left ankle.. shut the car off and crawl under it and theres a huge hole in the top of the oil filter.. WTF!?!.. ive got the oil filter sitting next to me on my desk.. i just have yet to do it.. any one who is looking into a decent project car.. this thing will be up for sale as soon as i can get my other car up and runnin...

anyways.. this was i guess meant to be a rant post.. so everyone chime in on your rants! i know im not the only one thats been completely sick and tired of theyre MN12's at some point

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:19 PM
PostSlut

I love mine.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Sorry to hear sticky Wonder what came out of the top of the filter ??

And I for one am knocking on wood, Mine has not been one bit of trouble, { That being said} it will proabley fall apart now lol

it will be a deer !! They are everywere up here, A few Bears getting close to downtown Philly as well LOL

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 05-27-2008 at 02:54 PM.
post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
i love mine too, but then again, almost all my 94/5 specific stuff was swapped out or getting swapped out for 96/7 stuff lol

-Matt
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
Sorry to hear sticky Wonder what came out of the top of the filter ??
well its not like im leaving the MN12 world forever.. lol i still have my 96 lx
as for the oil filter.. no clue but i can fit the ass end of a screwdriver into the hole..

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:40 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Good to hear Hmmm the part out of the filter has me puzzeled

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Veteran Poster

My '97 has been nothing but trouble, but I still love it.

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

i never really got a good look at it as i wasnt much of a fan for oil dripping all over my face but the holes a little smaller than a 1/2 dollar and coned into a point (going into the filter) what gets me is why i didnt run out of oil on the way to the gas station if that had been there the whole time.. i never bottom th car out and theres no gravel roads anywhere near me.. it only decided to blow 3 qts of oil out when i got it started again at the gas station.. i dont know..

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 05:55 PM
5th Gear Poster

I've only blown one fuse in my 95 and thats been the ONLY problem with it...

so far...

***BANGS on some wood***
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I guess I have been pretty lucky with mine. Did you ever make it to your job interview?

1995 LX 4.6 Stock for now.
post #11 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Veteran Poster

when my 95 was stock it was fine aside from replacing the temp sender,and then it broke a valve spring since then its been game over and ive got no money,but it shoudl be fast as hell someday haha

-Doug
95 T-bird, purple python,i'll drive it again.........someday.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...73&ref=profile
post #12 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremys95Thunderbird View Post
I guess I have been pretty lucky with mine. Did you ever make it to your job interview?
no i didnt but i called the guy and he said just show up whenever i get it running again.. so probably tomorrow or thursday. irony here.. the interview was at a place called M&D Automotive repair... lmao

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #13 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 08:36 PM
6th Gear Poster

tired of mine as well. It has been a good run though, over 200k. I bought an 07 screw f150 b/c of the reliability issues with the bird. That and I need something to haul stuff. I'm just going to drive the bird to and from work until it finally goes.

Right now its just idling really rough at stop lights (that i can't figure out why) and i'm tired of fixing parts every other weekend. So I will probably part mine out in the months to come....sad. Never thought I would get rid of the car, but it is just becoming more of a money pit to fix 14 year old parts.
post #14 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidinOnAir View Post
tired of mine as well. It has been a good run though, over 200k. I bought an 07 screw f150 b/c of the reliability issues with the bird. That and I need something to haul stuff. I'm just going to drive the bird to and from work until it finally goes.

Right now its just idling really rough at stop lights (that i can't figure out why) and i'm tired of fixing parts every other weekend. So I will probably part mine out in the months to come....sad. Never thought I would get rid of the car, but it is just becoming more of a money pit to fix 14 year old parts.
ill agree with that... i never thot mine would give up either... because it was always MY car.. i always took care of it the best i could as money persisted... ive replaced almost everything on the car thats causing minor problems.. (starter, rad fan, t stat.. the usual stuff) but since i got my license back its been nothing but problems...

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #15 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I thought my 89 was troublesome, I had to do the HGs, and the AOD went out, and two heater cores. But with the abuse it has taken over the last 15 years, I guess I shouldn't be surprised when things go, like motor mounts, etc.

My 97 I drive it way harder, and break things in more spectacular fashion, like the plastic intake manifold, a few of the heater hoses, the tranny cooler in the radiator, etc. I still have way less problems than most of my co-workers who drive like sane adults and take the cars in for dealer service and oil changes.

At the office I was always the one following someone to the dealer to pick them up as they left a vehicle. I had my Grand Marquis in once, for a couple of issues that I could get handled under warranty, other than that, it has been solid, it is 3 years newer than my 97 Cougar and has 52,000 more miles.

There are some inherent issues with the pre-96 cars and that is the only reason I got a 97, I like the 94/95 Cougars. I have already dealt with bad valve seals and EGR clogging on the aluminum intakes, the weaknesses in the transmission, etc on a 95 Crown Vic, and I said never again

it is a 13 year old car.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #16 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Tim
4th Gear Poster

my 96 is wonderful, 192xxx on it and i have beaten the living crap out of it since i have owned it, i have even pulled half circles of metal out of the tranny pan. Just dont scimp out on maintenance car will last as long as you take care of it.
post #17 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
my 96 is wonderful, 192xxx on it and i have beaten the living crap out of it since i have owned it, i have even pulled half circles of metal out of the tranny pan. Just dont scimp out on maintenance car will last as long as you take care of it.
i take care of my car like nobodies business.. regular oil changes.. tranny flushes.. coolant flushes etc.. i had a timing belt change and tranny rebuild schedualed for next month but the money for that just went down the drain.. my 96.. i beat the hell out of that thing and it still runs like a champ.. looks a helluva lot better than my 95 too... lol

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #18 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:44 AM

Uh, if you are referring to your car in regards to what you have or had planned for next month, did you mean serpentine belt (as in the belt at the front of the motor that drives all the accessories)? Or did you mean timing belt in the sense of the belt that connects the crank to the cam? If it's the latter, there is no timing belt on the 4.6L. There are 2 timing chains, 2 tensioners, 2 guides, 2 arms, and 3 different gears.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #19 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
Uh, if you are referring to your car in regards to what you have or had planned for next month, did you mean serpentine belt (as in the belt at the front of the motor that drives all the accessories)? Or did you mean timing belt in the sense of the belt that connects the crank to the cam? If it's the latter, there is no timing belt on the 4.6L. There are 2 timing chains, 2 tensioners, 2 guides, 2 arms, and 3 different gears.
well both actually but i meant timing chain.. srry for the confusion..

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #20 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 12:57 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post

it will be a deer !! LOL
I don't necessarily find that funny.

'94 SC - Black on Blue. Currently KIA due to drunk driver.
'95 SC - Black on Grey. 45K Miles. Converting to the darkside.
'02 Lincoln LS V8- Black on Grey. Daily Driver.
post #21 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
well both actually but i meant timing chain.. srry for the confusion..
If you are having this many problems and now you need to get into the motor, I'd say bye to the car and start lookin. It won't be hard to find another nice one.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #22 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
If you are having this many problems and now you need to get into the motor, I'd say bye to the car and start lookin. It won't be hard to find another nice one.
thats my plans.. i just need to get my other car (non MN12) up and runnig before i can sell this thing.. and hopefully sometime this summer i can go and pick up my other MN12.. (red 96lx ).. hey chris.. you want another bird?? lmao jk.. i wouldnt wish this thing on anyone on here you guys are too good to me for me to do that

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #23 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 05:10 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
my 95 has been beat on over and over again at 130k with intake, tinkered maf, 30#injectors, TB, stage 2 camms, full exhaust, no ac, no ps, no tune and finally after 50k with the camms the weak F4 heads valve spring broke. after i build the booster kit ill toss in a 96-98 motor and be good to go for now.

as for yhour hole in the filter why not just replace it 3.00$ and replace the starter 100.00 and your go to go for less than the price of a new car?

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #24 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 07:51 AM
PostWhore

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I had a 1992 Taurus with the Essex 3.8L that seemed to be always breaking on me. I sent it packing after I got over my head money wise.

4.6Ls are rock solid engines, its surprising that people are having problems with them.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
post #25 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo 281 View Post
my 95 has been beat on over and over again at 130k with intake, tinkered maf, 30#injectors, TB, stage 2 camms, full exhaust, no ac, no ps, no tune and finally after 50k with the camms the weak F4 heads valve spring broke. after i build the booster kit ill toss in a 96-98 motor and be good to go for now.

as for yhour hole in the filter why not just replace it 3.00$ and replace the starter 100.00 and your go to go for less than the price of a new car?
i got the starter replaced and im going to change the oil and filter as soon as i get my ass out of my pc chair lol and i dont have to buy a new car as i have a few laying around that need only minor things to get them running again or that are already running

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #26 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGSR View Post
Sorry to hear about your trouble. I had a 1992 Taurus with the Essex 3.8L that seemed to be always breaking on me. I sent it packing after I got over my head money wise.

4.6Ls are rock solid engines, its surprising that people are having problems with them.
well yea like i said ive been the hell out of my 96lx..(it was my play car when i had it) and its seen more that a fair share of abuse and its still running strong.. unlike my 95.. is there really that much of a difference between the first 94/5 4.6l's and the 96? besides the obvious.. but as in reliability issues?

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #27 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 11:05 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
i got the starter replaced and im going to change the oil and filter as soon as i get my ass out of my pc chair lol and i dont have to buy a new car as i have a few laying around that need only minor things to get them running again or that are already running
Quote:
thats my plans.. i just need to get my other car (non MN12) up and runnig before i can sell this thing.. and hopefully sometime this summer i can go and pick up my other MN12.. (red 96lx ).. hey chris.. you want another bird?? lmao jk.. i wouldnt wish this thing on anyone on here you guys are too good to me for me to do that
There seems like a pattern here. Broken cars needing to be fixed and get back to running....
post #28 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
There seems like a pattern here. Broken cars needing to be fixed and get back to running....
lol yea but my cars arent actually here.. in my yard.. i only have 2 cars in fl... lol the t-bird and someones hopefully giving me an rx-7.. yea call me a ricer.. idc i cant afford the bird anymore.. as for cars that need to be fixed... my Toyota.. it needs a new carb..(sitting in a box on a shelf..) and i also have a 97 explorer with a split transfer case.. lol but again neither of them are within 400..(or 700) miles from me theyre both in my grandfather's garage in tennessee

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #29 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:43 PM
PostWhore

RX-7s are even more expensive to buy parts for then MN12s. Those types of cars are not daily drivers, much like SHOs, older exotics, SCs, Merkurs ect.. I have seen it time and time again, someone buys something exotic, then it sucks whatever money they have until they get mad and sell the car.

Really, if you want something fast, you have to pony up the $$$$$. See if you can find something newer, less power, more reliability. At your age, you should save for your future. Take it from me who spent too much time behind the wheel raising hell and not enough time in school.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
post #30 of 44 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGSR View Post
RX-7s are even more expensive to buy parts for then MN12s. Those types of cars are not daily drivers, much like SHOs, older exotics, SCs, Merkurs ect.. I have seen it time and time again, someone buys something exotic, then it sucks whatever money they have until they get mad and sell the car.

Really, if you want something fast, you have to pony up the $$$$$. See if you can find something newer, less power, more reliability. At your age, you should save for your future. Take it from me who spent too much time behind the wheel raising hell and not enough time in school.
lol the RX-7 only needs a rear seal and a drive shaft.. other than that its almost perfect as for the raising hell behind the wheel and not enough time in school.. i only go to school for an hour a day (and yes its legal.. its a work program at my school lol) and after that im off to the local mechanics shop being trained.. (hopefully the idiot will give me a job lol)

♠Zack♠
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in