Truck running on wood - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Truck running on wood

Thought this looked cool:

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/...?orss=1#cancel

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Wow, thats something else. Never even heard of "woodgas". But he's right, don't think a lot of folks would be interested in having that rig sticking out of their cars! (or chopping wood very often)

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Voice/Data Guru

That was cool nice read

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Veteran Poster

Neat idea, but even with gas at $4/gallon, is it work the time and effort to have to procure and cut all the wood? I mean, he says he uses 4" x 4" chunks. That's an awful lot of work for what doesn't seem to be a terribly efficient means of transportation.

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 02:59 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I think this man is above us in terms in intelligence, no offense to anyone here, I do love this board. But none of us have said this.

Said Spreadborough: “I just want to open people’s eyes. There’s other way to do this. We don’t have to be slaves to the oil companies.”

This is one smart man.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
yea lets chop trees down! that will show those evil oil companies

-Matt
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM
5th Gear Poster

Yea they are already complying about the rain forest being cut down. There would be no rain forest if this were widespread.

97 T-bird Silver 4.6

If it aint one thing its another.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:13 PM
Veteran Poster

I don't meant to spark some whole debate, but I felt like I had to address this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
I think this man is above us in terms in intelligence, no offense to anyone here, I do love this board. But none of us have said this.

Said Spreadborough: “I just want to open people’s eyes. There’s other way to do this. We don’t have to be slaves to the oil companies.”

This is one smart man.
He's above us in intelligence because he built a woodgas generator? I've thought about something similar a bunch of times. I never knew how I'd go about building one, but I'm sure if I cared enough or was motivated enough or had the time to try such a thing, I could get it done eventually. It's not like what he's got is some ground-breaking concept - especially considering, in the same article:
Quote:
Woodgas generators are not a new invention. They were common in Europe during World War II, Spreadborough said, when gasoline was scarce. His neighbor, Mildred Sittler, said she saw them in Japan when she and her late husband, Lloyd, were stationed there in 1949-51.
And like I said, while I appreciate the idea and the concept behind this woodgas truck of his, it's impractical. Who has the time to chop up sacks full of wood that'll last you a 30 mile commute? I'm not knocking the guy, I really do think it's neat what he's doing. But it's hardly something that's going to spark a revolution.

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:52 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

no revolution but maybe he has the time and the will to do what other can't thats the point. He is not falling in line. Yes its not revolutionary but if you have the ideas then put them to work like he did. I have ideas and I'm giving up on easy street and I'm going to pursue them. So in effect I'll find the time because I'm not going to be working at a job that traps me into never being able to accomplish something like this, even though its a small leap of technology he still did it. How many of us have the time to do something like this???? Thats why he is smart not so much that he's Edison, but he stepped out of the comfortable zone into using his head. Please don't don't anyone get offended, this board is great, we all can do something like this, its just a matter of having our priorities strait. If you want to work for luxuries so you have no time to yourself thats ok by me but I plan to do the opposite. No luxuries for me means less work, means more time to myself. It seems to be everyone's problem that they don't have time for anything, I understand that and want to stop it before it starts ya know. It also appears chopping wood is not a problem for him lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicks View Post
I don't meant to spark some whole debate, but I felt like I had to address this.

He's above us in intelligence because he built a woodgas generator? I've thought about something similar a bunch of times. I never knew how I'd go about building one, but I'm sure if I cared enough or was motivated enough or had the time to try such a thing, I could get it done eventually. It's not like what he's got is some ground-breaking concept - especially considering, in the same article:

And like I said, while I appreciate the idea and the concept behind this woodgas truck of his, it's impractical. Who has the time to chop up sacks full of wood that'll last you a 30 mile commute? I'm not knocking the guy, I really do think it's neat what he's doing. But it's hardly something that's going to spark a revolution.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 09:39 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Vegeta99
He's making syngas. They were common in World War II, sure - with the Nazis, who made gasoline and diesel from the syngas (with proper equipment, you can make any hydrocarbon from it) because the Allieds cut off their access to oil.

You can make it by partial combustion of just about anything - Crude oil, coal, wood, etc. I remember making syngas in middle school by heating a test tube with water and a piece of coal in it.

95 LX 4.6l - Bone stock... but heavier cuz of the subs :P

Taking donations for a 'sploder motor tho...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in