AC Window Units - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Resident Line Creator

Send a message via AIM to th3subtl3on3
AC Window Units

We are looking at getting one finally, but I have a question regarding it's electric usage. Is it better to leave the unit on all the times, set at a certain temperate? Or to turn it on when we get home, because it does get to be 80-90 in our place during the day. Also, how much of an increase in out electric bill are we looking at? Since we have never had one, we don't know what to expect. Thanks.

-Brian
1989 Mercury Cougar - Anything but the Ordinary

Fully Built 4.2 Coming Soon, Parts include:
SC Block, 4.2 Crank, Scat H Beam Rods, Wiseco Pistons, Custom Comp Cam, 3/8 Main Stud Girdle, Ported/Polished Split Port Heads and Lower Intake, Windstar Upper, Heavier Springs, 1.73 Roller Rockers, BBK Valve Covers, Kooks long tube headers, Aluminum Radiator.

It May Not Be Pretty When Finished, But It'll Perform Pretty Darn Well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 06:34 PM
PostWhore

IMHO - If you let the temps get too high during the day then it has to run a lot in the evening to bring the entire room back down depending on the amount of furniture, etc. Only way to know is to watch the electric meter and try it a few different ways.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 06:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Use only, and I mean only when you are going to be in the room for very long times; and if you are going to get a "Room" A/C unit, then do just that, use it for a room and not the whole house, or you are going to pay quite a bit for electricity.

Depending on the area, if its a dry heat, use a humidifier to bring some moisture to the room.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well, I don't have AC for the house, I have evaporative cooling, but I have AC for a single room, my office, because i have 6 or 7 computers that will likely be on during working hours.

Mine is a 10,000 BTU, that is 10 seer, so it costs about 14 cents an hour to run where I live. I use mine about 30 minutes to an hour a day once it gets humid (it is already hot!) because the evaporative cooler keeps the house okay, but it can't keep up with the computers.

You will probably find that you need a timer or a programmable thermometer to turn it on before you get home if you don't keep it on during the day. If it is just one room, and the AC is sized for the room, then it might be able to pull the heat out of it quicker.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:49 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to John-Madison Send a message via Yahoo to John-Madison
I've had my fair share of window types of a/c. Personally, I'd leave it on during the day, but make sure the blinds/curtains are closed. also turn it so its a little warmer (not the coldest setting). It'll help a little bit on the whirling of the electric meter. But I agree, if you leave it off during the day, it'll take so much longer for it to cool down whatever room you are trying chill when you get home from work.

John-Madison
94 Cougar XR-7 Special Edition
3.8L V6...Not really purring anymore. She's kinda on her last leg. Traded in....
***NEW*** 2006 Mitsubishi Outlander (well, new for me)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2297556
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

The newer window units are pretty darned efficient. We have an 8,000 btu that has an energy saver mode so that even the blower goes off when it's not needed. It's got a digital thermostat and works well. Our central unit's compressor went out over a year ago so we have a 5k and 8k window units. It keeps the house plenty cool for less electricity than the central did. I also keep the ceiling fans on and a box fan to push cool air into the living room from the kitchen where the 8k is. No complaints from me.

We'd replace the central unit, but don't have the $$ to do it; so this works well for us.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 04:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
I wouldn't go with a portable unit, unless you only want to cool certain rooms certain times. We sell a lot of them at work. When it's hot, I've seen 20+ go out the door in a day. Frigidaire and Gibson are the main ones we sell. We just got some Sharp refurbished ones that look crappy. A buddy from work got a window one with a remote for his bedroom for $100 at Wal-Mart or Costco or somewhere, and it works just fine for him, and he can easily remove it himself.

How many square feet is your room? When does the sun shine in during the day? I'd get some thick, dark curtains and a small A/C unit, and you should be fine. Had a roommate put aluminum foil over our windows, and it kept a lot of heat and light out. Looked crappy, but it was a dorm.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 05:51 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
I just bought a window unit for my room, 5050 btu GE unit from walmart $109.00 with a remote and digital thermostat. I keep it at around 72-74 degrees. It cools my 20x15 room pretty good. Yearly usage for the thing is like 42 bucks, and I figured thats all year around usage on power save mode, so its about half that im guessin. I do have central air, but this room in my house doesnt get good airflow, so this helps out. All the power save mode does is turn it off when its at temperature, whereas if its not on power save, the fan keeps running. This unit isnt really designed for storm windows, so i had to do some jury rigging, but its safely in there. Make sure you seal everything good like the cracks and stuff, i used duct tape to seal it lol.

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in