major venting - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

major venting

now i know that some(majority) of my posts are kinda pointless and stupid,but when i try to get some opinions on my new mod,lets say a cold air/ram air intake that might work,i thnk that is is kinda stupid to ridicule me for my work,now how many of people have done it i see no problem in the design of it,but if it does make my car run lean at wot then when i get a tune i could have that fixed,so please tell me how to fix a problem i have cause with my car oh...and don't make fun of me in a post that has no real meaning..there,done venting over,but really guys i just payed(pending) to be a member and i would like to post my pics and get opinions on stuff without getting ridiculed..and i don't want to have to stop visiting this site because of the rudeness...and in turn make my money a uselesss spend.......ok im done,and please don't ever make fun of my mods in another post that make me feel like im about 2"s tall,so how about we keep it nice,and i will try to stop the useless posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Dude, relax. Take a freakin chill pill, your one post of Mod, in which you could have taken your time and done it right from the start by using the Tech manuals on here, and then asking for help, but when you throw crap out there what do you expect from the guys on here, you should look at some of the cars on this site, There are more than one perfectionist on here, and if you are looking for perfection, then look at the members cars themselves and then listen to what they have to say.

Better have all your beans in the can before you rant!

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Resident Gun Guru

You seem a little insecure . . . . . if your gonna try and reinvent the wheel, you need to have a sound idea . . . . . . and if your gonna post pics of something that isnt a sound idea, then you have to be prepared to hear people go, WTH.

13.66 @ 100.4 mph
1.94 60' time

"If you stick with the basics, you never have to go back to them"
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

ok well that does make me feel better,but i do like the filter where it is,but i do need a bypass valve.i know the filter will get alot more water form down there but i will have to keep it there for a while to see what it does for the perfomance and gas millage,but i am open to ideas...but thanks for not deleting this post SHADOW
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:50 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
dude chill.. over react much? lol.. if your referring to the posts josh and i made in the "vote on my next mod" thread it was all good fun.. i wasnt bashing on your intake ,as i too have plastic "dryer hose" flex tube as part of my intake as you know full well.. and neither was josh but ill let him speak for himself. and i agree with SHADOW.. you have to be ready to see people say "WTH IS THAT" when they see something new and that they dont find entirely plausible.. just my .02..

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Veteran Poster

I'm not trying to be an a-hole or jump on the bandwagon here, but this is a personal pet peeve of mine - every time I see you post, I cringe a little. Your posts are damn near illegible. Just take an extra minute or two, read over what you write, and smooth it out. It's not like I expect perfect grammar/spelling/etc., but if you want us to put the effort into reading your posts, put some effort into writing them so that I can actually understand what you're saying.

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW View Post
You seem a little insecure . . . . . if your gonna try and reinvent the wheel, you need to have a sound idea . . . . . . and if your gonna post pics of something that isnt a sound idea, then you have to be prepared to hear people go, WTH.
I'm going to have to second Shadow on this point.

There are sound and proven theories that are known to help the airflow in an engine. This information is posted here and on multiple places on the web. When you post something that is in direct contradiction to those know theories you should 1. be prepared for some ridicule, or 2. be prepared to back it up with some very good proof such as a dyno chart, flow chart, track times, or some other definitive measurement.

But when you make statements like, "but if it does make my car run lean at wot" with no information provided to say HOW you know it is running lean... (i.e. A/F ratio meter, AutoTap, reading the plugs, etc) your credibility really takes a hit.

As for the ram air setup you engineered/designed, I saw so many things that I would consider “not good” that I didn’t reply to the post out of courtesy. But since you’re bringing it up…

The number one issue that I saw was the flexible tubing. Air flow likes nice smooth, straight surfaces… Why do you think polishing ports in a cylinder head helps. The turbulence you created within that flexible tube would negate any extra density you might (and that is a big might) be getting with the filter located within the wheel well.

But just my opinion. I just think you should both research and learn a little before posting something like you did, OR have a thicker skin.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Go get yourself a refrigerator and a BFh or a 12 gage and take some of that frustration out.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=112771

1995 LX 4.6 Stock for now.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
dude chill.. over react much? lol.. if your referring to the posts josh and i made in the "vote on my next mod" thread it was all good fun.. i wasnt bashing on your intake ,as i too have plastic "dryer hose" flex tube as part of my intake as you know full well.. and neither was josh but ill let him speak for himself. and i agree with SHADOW.. you have to be ready to see people say "WTH IS THAT" when they see something new and that they dont find entirely plausible.. just my .02..
lol....well thanks for not tereing me a new one,i don't over react that often,just a few things have happened latly that have got me on edge and posting here seems to keep my mind off of it,so thanks
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
I'm going to have to second Shadow on this point.

There are sound and proven theories that are known to help the airflow in an engine. This information is posted here and on multiple places on the web. When you post something that is in direct contradiction to those know theories you should 1. be prepared for some ridicule, or 2. be prepared to back it up with some very good proof such as a dyno chart, flow chart, track times, or some other definitive measurement.

But when you make statements like, "but if it does make my car run lean at wot" with no information provided to say HOW you know it is running lean... (i.e. A/F ratio meter, AutoTap, reading the plugs, etc) your credibility really takes a hit.

As for the ram air setup you engineered/designed, I saw so many things that I would consider “not good” that I didn’t reply to the post out of courtesy. But since you’re bringing it up…

The number one issue that I saw was the flexible tubing. Air flow likes nice smooth, straight surfaces… Why do you think polishing ports in a cylinder head helps. The turbulence you created within that flexible tube would negate any extra density you might (and that is a big might) be getting with the filter located within the wheel well.

But just my opinion. I just think you should both research and learn a little before posting something like you did, OR have a thicker skin.
i just asummed it would seeing how someone on here siad that if you add more airflow you could lose power at wot cause the computor has a predetermend amount of fuel it send in the engine,so thats how i took that,soo...sorry...lol
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-BIRD 90 View Post
i just assumed it would seeing how someone on here said that if you add more airflow you could lose power at wot cause the computer has a predetermined amount of fuel it send in the engine, so that’s how I took that, soo...sorry...lol
While that statement is true about the WOT, there’s a caveat: Every A/F graph I've seen with a stock tune is that at WOT it runs really rich anyway from the factory.

So to go lean, you would have to get a noticeable increase in the amount of air (much more than anything you could do before the throttle body excluding a supercharger)

Someone feel free to correct me on the above statement.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
i just asummed it would seeing how someone on here siad that if you add more airflow you could lose power at wot cause the computor has a predetermend amount of fuel it send in the engine,so thats how i took that,soo...sorry...lol
The computer does have a pre-programmed amount of fuel to deliver at WOT, ignoring the input from the oxygen sensors, but it still reads the air entering the engine through the MAF. So if you increase the volume of air entering the engine, the computer will see this increase and add more fuel accordingly, so you won't be running lean. You should be running right where it is programmed to run at WOT, which as it was already said is pig rich.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Veteran Poster

"Give me a period, Vasily. One period only, please!"

Sean Connery, from The Hunt for Red October
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMooseofDoom View Post
"Give me a period, Vasily. One period only, please!"

Sean Connery, from The Hunt for Red October
This made me giggle like a schoolgirl.

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Give me a Ping, just one Ping, not a period, but I good fill-in none the less.

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:36 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativedetroiter View Post
Give me a Ping, just one Ping, not a period, but I good fill-in none the less.
"Satire" Pronunciation[sat-ahyuhr]

–noun

1. the use of irony, sarcasm, ridicule, or the like, in exposing, denouncing, or deriding vice, folly, etc.
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Veteran Poster

More Hunt for Red October quotes (in relation to this thread, obviously)...

Capt. Ramius: (To his crew) "And once more, we play our dangerous game. A game of chess....against our old adversary...the English language!.......For 40 years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game...and played it well. But today, the game is different. WE have the advantage! It reminds me of the heady days of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin when the world trembled at the sound of our periods. Now they will tremble again - at the sound of our silence. The order is: engage the silent period!"

Borodin: "Do you think they will let me use proper grammar in Montana?"
Capt. Ramius: "I would think they'll let you use proper grammar wherever you want."
Borodin: "Good. Then I will use proper grammar in Montana. And I will marry a round, grammatically-correct American woman, and raise rabbits, and she will cook them for me. And I will have a pick-up truck, or umm... possibly even...a recreational vehicle, and drive from state to state while competing in spelling bees, all while using proper grammar. Do they let you do that?"
Capt. Ramius: "Oh yes."
Borodin: "No papers?"
Capt. Ramius: "No papers. State-to-state. Proper grammar."

Political Officer Putin: "A man with your responsibilities reading about the end of proper grammar. Heh. And what's this? 'I am become death...the destroyer of punctuation marks.'"
Capt. Ramius: "It is an ancient Hindu grammar book, quoted by an American."
Political Officer Putin: "An American?"
Capt. Ramius: "Mm-hmm. He invented 'Hooked on Phonics', and was later accused of being a communist."

Capt. Ramius: "Be careful what you shoot at. Most things in here don't react too well to run-on sentences."

Capt. Ramius: (To his crew) "Comrades! Our own English Composition department doesn't know our full potential! They will do everything possible to test us, but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave our Special Ed students behind! We will pass through the American grammar patrols, past their word phonetic nets, and lay off their largest city, and listen to their rock and roll...while we conduct spelling drills!"

Capt. Ramius: (To his crew) "A great day, comrades! We will spell the word 'history'!"
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:49 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to SC V8 Bird
Must be some kind of inside joke.

SC V8 BIRD

TCCoA Gallery
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=45

Car Domain
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2527375
NW Late Model Thunderbirds & Supercoupes Myspace Group
http://groups.myspace.com/nwlatemodelthunderbirds
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC V8 Bird View Post
Must be some kind of inside joke.
No, this is simply making light of the thread creator's excited posting, and blowing through most known grammatical rules in the process.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
That was absolutely beautiful.

You are a poet in a world of journalists.

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:52 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to SC V8 Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMooseofDoom View Post
No, this is simply making light of the thread creator's excited posting, and blowing through most known grammatical rules in the process.
Ah, ok, I was trying to find a connection between this thread and some revised twisted dialogue from The Hunt for Red October.

SC V8 BIRD

TCCoA Gallery
http://forums.tccoa.com/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=45

Car Domain
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2527375
NW Late Model Thunderbirds & Supercoupes Myspace Group
http://groups.myspace.com/nwlatemodelthunderbirds
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 AM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Quote:
now i know that some(majority) of my posts are kinda pointless and stupid,but when i try to get some opinions on my new mod,lets say a cold air/ram air intake that might work,i thnk that is is kinda stupid to ridicule me for my work,now how many of people have done it i see no problem in the design of it,but if it does make my car run lean at wot then when i get a tune i could have that fixed,so please tell me how to fix a problem i have cause with my car oh...and don't make fun of me in a post that has no real meaning..there,done venting over,but really guys i just payed(pending) to be a member and i would like to post my pics and get opinions on stuff without getting ridiculed..and i don't want to have to stop visiting this site because of the rudeness...and in turn make my money a uselesss spend.......ok im done,and please don't ever make fun of my mods in another post that make me feel like im about 2"s tall,so how about we keep it nice,and i will try to stop the useless posts
Aww, I'm sorry...I feel bad now.

Shucks...did you want me to take down the thread in video/ image forum? Will that make you feel better?

And look what I found for you for ONLY $300

Look on the very bottom of the first post, that is a deal right there!

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=112732

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

Last edited by OxmanWI; 06-04-2008 at 09:17 AM.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
Aww, I'm sorry...I feel bad now.

Shucks...did you want me to take down the thread in video/ image forum? Will that make you feel better?

And look what I found for you for ONLY $300

Look on the very bottom of the first post, that is a deal right there!

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=112732
ok i feel alot better i guess all the jokes about me are making me laugh right now,dude i like how the hamster has more votes that my intake
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:54 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
just get some 3 ply coolant hose and have a exhaust shop bend you a 3" pipe it will cost you lesss than 100$ if you find the right shop just equip the maf with a coupler and pop the hood say i want a 3" pipe bent from here to here can you do that for me? if not go to another shop and repeat until you find one that will.

heres my old setup that i built for less than 30$ and dont mind the welds they werent that great

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
ok i feel alot better i guess all the jokes about me are making me laugh right now,dude i like how the hamster has more votes that my intake
and you still cant follow people's advice to take that extra minute or two

and you wonder why people rip you a new one for typing things that only make sense in your head

so far i see no improvements in your posts, including the ones in this very thread where you have already been told to at least try to make your sentences legible

I dare you to prove me wrong
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
I dare you to prove me wrong
lol go ahead... make his day..

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well i will try to make as much sense in my next post as i can. As for the intake, I have made a few improvements in my design,but i will show you when i'm done.=D

Better
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:43 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Well i will try to make as much sense in my next post as i can. As for the intake, I have made a few improvements in my design,but i will show you when i'm done.=D

Better
If you really want to bother doing this get the upper elbow ported and make the most of your effort, once you've seen inside it you'll understand the intake tube is not as bad as everything else. The best materials are factory kinds, rubber and plastic. Find a different intake tube from a junkyard(mustang, ex police interceptor taxis , etc) and basically do what I did cut it in half and connect the 2 parts with exhaust pipe sourced from auto zone and hold it together with worm clamps. Effective and permanent. Don't try to reinvent the wheel. You don't need bigger than a 3" diameter tubing.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in