Dental insurance... TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH!!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Dental insurance... TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH!!!

So after recently turning the dirty 30... I have taken a real hard look at my health.

I want to be around to see my son get married and all that happy stuff... Now I have not been to a Dentist in about 13 years.. I do brush and floss my teeth like a good boy though.

All I can say is DONT NEGLECT your teeth. I am lucky and work fro HP and have great insurance.. 4 fillings two cleanings and a root canal plus a crown and its cost me 150 bucks... Thiscould have been a few thousand dollars just becasue I didnt do regular check ups.

I am also going in to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. I am lucky as they are all bone impacted and my health insurance is covering it but I am told becasue I have waited so long I may have caused damage to other teeth and its harder to recover.

Morel of my ramblings... take care of your teeth and dont put it off.

AAAAA: American Association Against Acronym Abuse

Click here if you are an idiot

Llama!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Ugh, I've been meaning to make an appointment for a cleaning since March! I need to have a couple fillings checked out too. Maybe next week....

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron K. View Post
Ugh, I've been meaning to make an appointment for a cleaning since March! I need to have a couple fillings checked out too. Maybe next week....
too bad you dont know anyone who works in a dentist's office, ****in slack ass!

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderterd View Post
So after recently turning the dirty 30... I have taken a real hard look at my health.

I want to be around to see my son get married and all that happy stuff... Now I have not been to a Dentist in about 13 years.. I do brush and floss my teeth like a good boy though.

All I can say is DONT NEGLECT your teeth. I am lucky and work fro HP and have great insurance.. 4 fillings two cleanings and a root canal plus a crown and its cost me 150 bucks... Thiscould have been a few thousand dollars just becasue I didnt do regular check ups.

I am also going in to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. I am lucky as they are all bone impacted and my health insurance is covering it but I am told becasue I have waited so long I may have caused damage to other teeth and its harder to recover.

Morel of my ramblings... take care of your teeth and dont put it off.
Did you get a second opinion? IMHO, doctors, dentists, and car repair shops are all in the business... That is to take your money whether you need it or not.

Just because one person says you "need" something does not necessarily make it the truth.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
i hate the dentist but i try to go at least once a year

I'M BACK
97 Supercharged Ford Thunderbird with warpdrive
Check out my Gallery

vist the Man RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Veteran Poster

I haven't gone in over a year, bad me.

You just reminded me to schedule an appointment for this summer, thanks.

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
too bad you dont know anyone who works in a dentist's office, ****in slack ass!
Yeah, but I do know a couple broads that work in orthodontist offices

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Happy to be of Assistance

I'M BACK
Check out my Gallery

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicks View Post
I haven't gone in over a year, bad me.

You just reminded me to schedule an appointment for this summer, thanks.
Happy to be of Assistance

I'M BACK
Check out my Gallery

Last edited by sik97bird; 06-03-2008 at 10:26 AM. Reason: oops i posted twice... delete my first post
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
Did you get a second opinion? IMHO, doctors, dentists, and car repair shops are all in the business... That is to take your money whether you need it or not.

Just because one person says you "need" something does not necessarily make it the truth.
The reason for the removal of my wisdom teeth is that the bottem ones are pushing on the back molars and I need to have one removed becase I am getting a crown on that molor. The other its pushing and causing some discomfort.

The uppers are being donw in as it looks like one has a cavaity and to prevent the other one from heading down that road they are going to remove it.

If you ask questions and have a dentist explain why and then you make a dission. I have never been ripped off by a dentist.. or a mechanic for that matter...

AAAAA: American Association Against Acronym Abuse

Click here if you are an idiot

Llama!!!

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I love my Dentist. (He's my father-in-law)

<- Note the nice teeth.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 01:46 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I need to see a dentist too!!! I haven't been in for a cleaning in years. On the plus side I avoid lots of sweets. Other than the jelly for PB/jam sandwiches I don't buy sugary stuff. I only drink water. I'm lazy though and don't floss. I will start, I had someone convince me and I can't look back. Does anyone know if Aramark has such a good plan? I'm thinking of working for them. If you want to save your teeth stop with the soda or any acidic drink. I want to keep my teeth for the rest of my life.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Veteran Poster

My wife is a nurse...I have a few horror stories about people in comas or being found dead due to impacted/infected teeth.......they found a truck driver out here on interstate 84, dead in his truck, a nasty impacted wisdom tooth killed him.....seriously.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMooseofDoom View Post
My wife is a nurse...I have a few horror stories about people in comas or being found dead due to impacted/infected teeth.......they found a truck driver out here on interstate 84, dead in his truck, a nasty impacted wisdom tooth killed him.....seriously.
That is messed up, makes me want to have mine taken out.

1995 LX 4.6 Stock for now.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:07 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMooseofDoom View Post
see thats pretty sick and I am OCD about my teeth now that I'm older. Dentists are like human body mechanics IMHO.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremys95Thunderbird View Post
That is messed up, makes me want to have mine taken out.

Well, I know that I haven't uttered a serious word since I starting posting here again, but infected teeth send toxins straight to the brain. I have a bit of a humorous horror story about having one of my wisdom teeth pulled out by a pair of rookie dentists at the dental school up at OHSU (university hospital here)....

My lower right wisdom tooth was infected, and wouldn't go away, so lacking basic insurance, I took my chances at the school, which lets budding dentists (idiots) have a whack at the general public without being sued too badly if they slip and drive that dental mirror up your nose.

They numbed the area around the tooth, stuck a rubber block in my mouth to keep my mouth open (yay, drool producer!), and the guy started yanking away on the wisdom tooth.
I have it on good authority that the halfwit skipped a step or two, because the tooth wasn't coming out, and he began pulling and wrenching harder and harder, in an attempt to get the tooth out.....failing in the process. My head was wrenched around 180 degrees, back and forth, with me going "AAGGGHHH!!!!! AGGGHHH!!!!", the remembrance of the tooth pain being the only reason why I didn't get up and launch this guy through a plate glass window.
As I thought about that for a moment, the movement stopped, and he had the assistant hold my head in place, while he climbed on top of the bed, bracing my head against his leg. My neck muscles, sore from the pulling, were now cramping horribly, along with my face muscles cramping from trying to hold my mouth around the rubber block....and then the tooth finally popped out, with him overbalancing, falling off of the bed, and ricocheting off of the stand he moved close to the bed.

Idiot.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 04:32 PM
PostWhore

When I see the dentist I will start the anesthesia before hand on my own in the parking lot.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

wow, you guys are nuts, anyhow, i have been lucky i have great teeth always a little yellow, its my natural color. i have NEVER had a cavity or any work done besides my 4 wisdom teeth pulled due to them pushing my other teeth out. and i had a retainer(upper) when i was little . other than twice a year cleanings. i have no issues or problems.

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 05:35 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to alasich
well, now you guys have me all paroniod. My back teeth are hurting, and it just feel right... grrr. but i DO need to go to a dentist, and i DO need to start brushing regularly. To bad its to late... *cry*

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

Muffler removal, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 205/75/R15 Trail Rated Tires, Rear Chrome Removal, Front Fog Lights, Digital Dash Mod, New AOD Transmission with Shift Kit, Air Silencer Delete

~newly painter front and back bumper and side mirrors. Done by me, and quite proud of it!~
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

I pay $100 a year in premiums that gets me two cleanings and a full set of x-rays in a year. Most other stuff is 80% up to $1000 paid by them per year.

I don't think dentists do unnecessary work, except the x-rays. seems like they always want to x-ray my teeth.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 07:19 PM
3rd Gear Poster

GO!!!! All of you!!! and shop around!!! I had a HACK remove a premolar years ago, I let it go too long, I was stuck, outa town, and naturally this tooth takes OFF and I"m walking around in MAJOR pain, looking like Vito Corleone for the week...needed it done ASAP... the guy was literally sweating throughout, took him waaay too long to do it, shot me repeatedly with so much friggin novocaine my throat started closing, and when all was said and done, this TOOL removed so much BONE in the process, years later I dont have enuff left to anchor an implant to and will need friggin BONE grafts to compensate!!!
BEWARE the EVIL DENTIST!!!!!! Die bad Dentist, DIE!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, Teeth, if you ignore them long enuff, eventually they'll go away...
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 12:35 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron K. View Post
Yeah, but I do know a couple broads that work in orthodontist offices
slacker. get yo grill checked foo!

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk69cat View Post
wow, you guys are nuts, anyhow, i have been lucky i have great teeth always a little yellow, its my natural color. i have NEVER had a cavity or any work done besides my 4 wisdom teeth pulled due to them pushing my other teeth out. and i had a retainer(upper) when i was little . other than twice a year cleanings. i have no issues or problems.
I'm with you in that I've never had cavities or any dental problems. Hell, I haven't even had my wisdom teeth yanked. Hopefully I won't ever need to.

I did read somewhere (can't remember where off the top of my head, I'll look it up) that people like us, who've never had cavities and all that have a higher chance of developing gum disease.

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in