wrecked the 95.. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
wrecked the 95..

well.. i did her in tonight guys.. the whole steering is shot and so it the left front suspension..

i was coming home from my girls house tonight in the rain.. i was pulling out onto Park blvd (4-w intersection with a long sweeping turn to merge onto Park blvd) well the rears broke loose (note when im as tired as i was i tend to NOT drive stupid i was driving like any other person..) and swung around so i let off everything and counter-steered... wrong move.. she swung back around the other way and set my backwards facing oncoming traffic.. the front drivers wheel hit the curb ,shaving the bead off the rim, stripped the threads on my inner tie-rod.. (pushed the tie-rod end farther back on the inner tie-rod), the steering box gears skipped a few teeth.. and god knows what happened to the rack and pinion, and the LCA bolts are pushed backwards.... i actually managed to drive her home (40 miles mind you), the camber on the car is so bad its runnin on the outer edge of the tires (on both sides) and the tires scream the whole thime the car is moving..but i walked away without so much as smacking my head on the door frame.. oh and this is the third time ive wrecked this car and the airbags havent gone off once...

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:01 AM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Glad you weren't hurt. You may be a weenie sometimes, but none of us wish you harm. Say a little prayer of thanks if you haven't already.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
Glad you weren't hurt. You may be a weenie sometimes, but none of us wish you harm. Say a little prayer of thanks if you haven't already.
thanks Sir William, as for the prayer.. already done.. multiple times over

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

got some pics of my EX front fanblade here.. (brings a certain monty python quote to mind lol)

Photobucket

Photobucket

lower control arm hit here..
Photobucket

and this is a nice lil rash (thin line around the edge of the rim..) from having to move the car into the parking lot of the gas-station.

Photobucket

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 AM

Wow. Never seen that happen to a tire. Glad you weren't hurt, and it sounds like no one else was either.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:07 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to alasich
to bad to hear a nice car gone like that... glad your alright though

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

Muffler removal, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 205/75/R15 Trail Rated Tires, Rear Chrome Removal, Front Fog Lights, Digital Dash Mod, New AOD Transmission with Shift Kit, Air Silencer Delete

~newly painter front and back bumper and side mirrors. Done by me, and quite proud of it!~
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
Wow. Never seen that happen to a tire. Glad you weren't hurt, and it sounds like no one else was either.
i was doing about 15-20 when i hit the curb.. and actually i was in the outside of the 2 turn lanes and when i over steered the ass end of the bird came about a foot from the car that was in the inside lane.. at least thats what he told me anyways..

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:14 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Lucky guy you are! The bird is a good car in safety, no doubt about it. Is this is the end of the bird?

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Lucky guy you are! The bird is a good car in safety, no doubt about it. Is this is the end of the bird?
the 95.. yes.. the 96 no im keeping the 96 and probably bringing it back to florida.. lol the 95 im just going to fix whats needed to get the damn thing to steer correctly and then sell it as it..

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:21 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
glad you werent hurt dude. It was raining hard one day and I hit a big puddle in the middle of the interstate (3 lanes) and all these cars were behind me and I did 2 complete 360's and ended up straight again in the same lane mind you. I just pulled over until it stopped raining. I had bald rears so thats what probably caused it. Right after that i went out and bought a nice set of Aquathread 3's.

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcline View Post
glad you werent hurt dude. It was raining hard one day and I hit a big puddle in the middle of the interstate (3 lanes) and all these cars were behind me and I did 2 complete 360's and ended up straight again in the same lane mind you. I just pulled over until it stopped raining. I had bald rears so thats what probably caused it. Right after that i went out and bought a nice set of Aquathread 3's.
A very similar thing happened right before I committed autocide this past December. It was raining and a light turned yellow as I was approaching the intersection. I was sufficiently far enough away to merit my stopping, but it measured to be a quick stop by normal means. Anyway, I started braking and I saw I wasn't decellerating fast enough, so I applied the slightest bit of additional pressure to the pedal and the wheels locked and I started sliding. I backed off and stopped as quick as I could, and ended up in the middle of the intersection after the light had already turned red. At this point I had no choice but to continue forward. Luckily the people travelling perpendicular to myself didn't jump the gun on the light. The next day I had new rubbers put on. The old ones had a million cracks in the sidewall and virtually no tread, but on a college student's budget I didn't spring on getting tires at the earliest opportunity.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Veteran Poster

If you gakked the wheel that hard....I am willing to place a bet that you aren't going to be just simply bolting on a few parts to make it good enough to drive....hope springs eternal, however.

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMooseofDoom View Post
If you gakked the wheel that hard....I am willing to place a bet that you aren't going to be just simply bolting on a few parts to make it good enough to drive....hope springs eternal, however.
i need to replace my rack and pinion.. thats the only thing ive found to be in need of replacement so far.. besides the wheel beaing.. my steering wheel looks like im making a hard left but the cars going straight. im gonna be making plenty of trips to LKQ (my local junkyards..) for a while.. lol

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:15 AM
Veteran Poster

Man i know how you feel,put my bird in a ditch but i was lucky,i hate that it is done for,oh well,at least you have the red one
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickysilvertbird View Post
i need to replace my rack and pinion.. thats the only thing Ive found to be in need of replacement so far.. besides the wheel bearing.. my steering wheel looks like I'm making a hard left but the cars going straight. I'm gonna be making plenty of trips to LKQ (my local junkyards..) for a while.. lol
So are you getting rid of it or fixing it? I'm

Sounds like you plan on replacing the busted rim and the rack and pinion? Throw in an alignment and I think she'll be back to her old self.

Glad you're ok. Hydroplaning sucks. That's how I wrecked mine a few years ago.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

well i got some more pics of the bird... is it just the way im seeing it or did i buckle the K member?

Photobucket

heres how the front tires are sitting..

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and heres my steering problem .. notice the difference i the position of the steering-wheel and the front tires..

Photobucket

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

There should only be one "dip" in the K member, in the middle, for a place for oil to drain out of.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
dont fix it and sell it, you dont even have a job. Just sell the thing off to the junkyard.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
dont fix it and sell it, you dont even have a job. Just sell the thing off to the junkyard.
you know i dont really care what you have to say.. i didnt make this thread for you to come and start lecturing me on my life again.. right now im just happy to be alive. stay out of my thread if you dont have anything to say to me about anything other that my lack of a job and ****ty life.

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
you know i dont really care what you have to say.. i didnt make this thread for you to come and start lecturing me on my life again.. right now im just happy to be alive. stay out of my thread if you dont have anything to say to me about anything other that my lack of a job and ****ty life.
look bro, selling it off to the junkyard will give you enough money to pay the title and tax, including the notary for getting your '96 car. Since it is currently titled in another state, you will need to provide proof of title and a bill of sale along with documentation of the current owner and odometer reading. You will probably get enough to pay for the gas in it on the way home. So, instead of whining about my comments, actually read into what im saying, you need a vehicle, dont bother fixing that thing, the damage is quite severe, it will take you longer than you really want it to, and you need a car.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:10 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
look bro, selling it off to the junkyard will give you enough money to pay the title and tax, including the notary for getting your '96 car. Since it is currently titled in another state, you will need to provide proof of title and a bill of sale along with documentation of the current owner and odometer reading. You will probably get enough to pay for the gas in it on the way home. So, instead of whining about my comments, actually read into what im saying, you need a vehicle, dont bother fixing that thing, the damage is quite severe, it will take you longer than you really want it to, and you need a car.
No, Obucina, you're not being helpful at all, you're just picking on him.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, the cats alone are worth a decent amount of money, why bother fixing and selling it, really?

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
How much you think i can get out of this thing from a junkyard?.. i just.. as much as i hate the car id hate to part with it since its the first car ive ever had in MY name..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicks View Post
No, Obucina, you're not being helpful at all, you're just picking on him.

From what I've read here and elsewhere, the cats alone are worth a decent amount of money, why bother fixing and selling it, really?
and my cats are hollow lol

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
So are you getting rid of it or fixing it? I'm

Sounds like you plan on replacing the busted rim and the rack and pinion? Throw in an alignment and I think she'll be back to her old self.

Glad you're ok. Hydroplaning sucks. That's how I wrecked mine a few years ago.
yea i am planning on getting rid of it.. im just going to find a decent rack and pinion out of a bird at my local junkyard, 2 new rims and an alignment.. and then sell it..

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
yea i am planning on getting rid of it.. im just going to find a decent rack and pinion out of a bird at my local junkyard, 2 new rims and an alignment.. and then sell it..
I'm thinking that the money you may get from selling a formerly busted car to someone won't be worth the time and money you spend trying to fix it.

- Alex B.

post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:04 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Part it out if fixing doesn't work out.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Part it out if fixing doesn't work out.
i was thinking that too lol

id probably get more money out if it that way than i would selling it or putting it in a j/y

♠Zack♠
Quote:
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:08 PM

You definitely damaged the subframe/k-member there. The damage extends way beyond just the rack and pinion. You may have even bent the spindle, strut rod, and/or lower control arm, but you wouldn't know for sure until a good alignment shop sees it. So you are looking at the following list of items to replace:
  • Subframe/k-member
  • rack and pinion including right outer tie-rod
  • rim
  • spindle (very likely)
  • LCA (possibly)
  • strut rod (possibly)

IMHO there is a LOT of work to be done to get that thing sellable to another person. If you are honest about the damages, no one will want to buy it except for a junkyard. It sucks, but that's the grim reality of it.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
i was thinking that too lol

id probably get more money out if it that way than i would selling it or putting it in a j/y

you would probably get.....maybe $500. Look in the yellowpages and find listings for the we-haul-it junk car removal guys. Scrap metal fetches a wee bit of a premium since it can be recycled.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
IMHO there is a LOT of work to be done to get that thing sellable to another person. If you are honest about the damages, no one will want to buy it except for a junkyard. It sucks, but that's the grim reality of it.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking.

- Alex B.

post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

well i got under her and started taking things apart.. my LCA is fine.. my suspension aspect is fine.. (apart from deteriorating bust boots and bushings.. lol) but my innser tie rod is "L" shaped.. ill get a pic once i get it off the car.. which poses another problem.. on the fluid boot that covers the inner tierod/rack and pinion connection.. how the hell do i get the pinch clamp off the fluid boot.?

♠Zack♠
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in