The biggest loser.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to basskid
The biggest loser....

Hey guys... just out of curiosity.. has anyone here lost a significant amount of weight in their lifetime? I am about 30 pounds down and looking for some advice on dropping another 70. I've been doing ok, but need some help.

Stock 96 block with 04 gt heads & intake, 03 gt intake tube and MAF, along with a 180 deg stat and mild j mod...
Mandrel bent catless 2.25" true duals with dynomax super turbos
Vogtland .75" drop springs with sport / cobra shocks
XCAL2 with custom dyno tune
231hp, 280ftlb
Car is officially for sale... call me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:09 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Battery
Something small that may help you (it did me), cut out all soda and alcohol. You'd be amazed at how much of an effect these can have on your body.

"It's all in the reflexes"
LE RIP
Now 96 Mark VIII
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 12:28 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
Something small that may help you (it did me), cut out all soda and alcohol. You'd be amazed at how much of an effect these can have on your body.
+1
ive lost alot of weight since i stopped drinking dark soda's (went from being around 210 to being 140-145 in 6 months..). cutting the dark sodas wasnt the only thing i did though. i stopped drinking and smoking completely. i also stopped going out to eat and started making my own, healthier, meals..

i did things like maybe make a 3-4 egg cheese omlet, or just a bowl of cereal for breakfast (if i ate breakfast at all...)
for lunch id do something like a salad from subway (if i was at work) or i would make my own salad for lunch if i was home.
for dinner i had a salad, 1 other veggie (usually a tomato or the like) and no more than 8 ounces of meat (yes i actually measured it lol)

take it from me. this will help you out alot. like battery said before.. quit the alcohol and sodas... thatll give you a significant amount of help by its self.

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 01:23 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
Slim fast helps too, it really makes you not eat for 4 hours. Cutting out sodas helps ALOT, I lost 7 lbs in a week from not drinking soda, just drank water or tea. I just drank pop either when I went out to eat or just a can a day.

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:37 AM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
Cut out the high-fructose corn syrup, make as much of your own food as possible (from scratch preferably), minimize sweets, shoot for lean proteins when possible, dont' go overboard on the dairy, keep yourself active (even if it's just a little bit, it helps), and above all, eat like someone who knows when their next meal is going to be.

working pretty well for me so far

math > pasta
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:45 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to alasich
QUit drinking alcohol.... NOOOOOOOOO THE HORROR!!!!!!

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

Muffler removal, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 205/75/R15 Trail Rated Tires, Rear Chrome Removal, Front Fog Lights, Digital Dash Mod, New AOD Transmission with Shift Kit, Air Silencer Delete

~newly painter front and back bumper and side mirrors. Done by me, and quite proud of it!~
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
A couple of years ago I lost 70 lbs. by using Weight Watchers' points program.

Then put the lbs right back on...

I think losing weight has to be a combination of things: Diet, exercise, and most importantly self control. I failed at the self control. I hit a plateau after dropping the 70 lbs and didn't lose a single pound for two months no matter what I did. Got frustrated and said, “Well if I'm going to be miserable and not lose weight, I might as well eat what I want......” It was downhill from there.

But take it from an old fart. LOSE THE WEIGHT WHILE YOU’RE YOUNG. When you’re older, less active, less fit, less time on your hands, it can be REAL tough to make time to do the necessary exercises, etc.

Good luck!!!!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 04:26 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidFly View Post
Cut out the high-fructose corn syrup, make as much of your own food as possible (from scratch preferably), minimize sweets, shoot for lean proteins when possible, dont' go overboard on the dairy, keep yourself active (even if it's just a little bit, it helps), and above all, eat like someone who knows when their next meal is going to be.

working pretty well for me so far
Couldn't have said it better myself. Make filtered (NOT BOTTLED) water your main drink, 90%+ of all fluids you drink (since you're mostly water anyway why not keep the fluid fresh and flushed? just like your ride). Minimize the milk consumption. I can't seem to quit drinking it though, I'm down to 1 gal a week from 2+. I use it in cooking though. Here's one that most never think about, stop eating cold cereal full of sugar. Start making your own bread too, I use a bread maker. I make my own bread and then use it for french toast, using quality honey instead of refined sugar for the whole process. These french toast pieces are a freaking meal! I make a loaf with lots of fruit/nuts in it too. There is a lot you can do all these ideas that will drop weight like a brick.

And I will add I've been working in food service for nearly 7 years around all kinds of bad food that fattens people up. Self control is important. I still eat what I want, examples are baked chicken wings, pizza,hamburgers, ham/turkey/beef from work. Just don't add fattening sauces, plain meat is better than no meat.

My weaknesses are doughnuts and french fries omg I would eat both in the same meal if I could.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again

Last edited by Splattered; 06-16-2008 at 04:32 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to GoldenBird
Well To start off I went from the 350 to 280 pounds in 3&1/2 months.
First off no Soda no fruit drinks no alcohol. I started out going to the gym and doing cardio.
I just made healthier choices; Miracle whip instead of Mayo, Lite or NonFat dressing, 12grain or anything with alot of fiber instead of white bread. Smart balance spread instead of butter. Egg beaters instead of eggs. Turkey or Boneless/Skinless chicken instead of beef. NO Cheese. Yogurt instead of Ice cream. More fruit and veggies. Hummus dip instead of sourcream. Soymilk instead of Wholemilk.
I would say alcohol was the biggest factor for me. And I found out that Alcohol slows your metabolism and fat burning, not to mention the carbs and calories.
Eat Smaller frequent meals, You body needs protein every 3 hours or so. So starving yourself and making yourself go long periods without eating doesnt help because your body goes into starvation mode and saves the food as fat for future energy.
And everytime you eat, think about what nutritional value the item has for your body!
Just stick to something and you should see results...
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 05:53 PM
PostWhore

Sounds like this board has some good experiences in weight loss. I totally agree on the no booze, if you can't drop the drink then you can't drop the weight is how I see it.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Well I still enjoy going out on the town every other week or so, but I am very moderate with what I drink... I am working my own diet, which is a combination of low carb, high protein, high veggie content. I am going to start HIIT training tomorrow at work, so we will see where that goes. Thanks for the advice everyone! Wish me luck...

Stock 96 block with 04 gt heads & intake, 03 gt intake tube and MAF, along with a 180 deg stat and mild j mod...
231hp, 280ftlb
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by basskid View Post
Well I still enjoy going out on the town every other week or so, but I am very moderate with what I drink... I am working my own diet, which is a combination of low carb, high protein, high veggie content. I am going to start HIIT training tomorrow at work, so we will see where that goes. Thanks for the advice everyone! Wish me luck...
ive heard stories about HIIT training lol (my moms bf is a fire inspector). good luck

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 PM
PostSkank

Send a message via AIM to StupidFly
I decided I'd never ban myself from eating anything, if I had a craving for a steak or wings or beer or whatever, I didn't tell myself no. But I made sure to eat less of it, just enough to take care of the craving. But more often than not (and I mean 99% of the time) just knowing that I was allowed to have it made it easier to say no to it. I guess the idea is not to be in the "diet" mindset, it has to be how you eat, period, not how you eat for awhile.

Splattered, I work banquets at a resort (bartender), and there's always GOBS of awesome drippy fatty food around, so I know EXACTLY what you mean it gets really hard to eat normally at work some nights. And I like the honey instead of sugar idea. I've all but cut high-fructose corn syrup from my diet completely, and my sugar intake is low. And since honey is pretty good for you anyway, substituting it in sounds like a solid idea.

math > pasta
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:48 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Battery
Oh yea, I forgot to mention. Drink a ton of water. You'll notice that every diet says this, there is a reason. In order to break the fat molecules apart your body needs to use a water molecule. The process is called hydrolysis, without the water in your system it's impossible to break down the fat (I know this for certain). I've also read in situations of dehydrations that your body may even bond fats, because that releases some water (but I'm not to sure about the truth of this).

"It's all in the reflexes"
LE RIP
Now 96 Mark VIII
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Arg... water water water... lol... I'm at about 1.5 gallons a day at this point... I piss like a damn race horse every hour on teh hour... it sucks... but it works... I just got done with my first hiit and I am wiped!!!

231hp, 280ftlb
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 04:00 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidFly View Post
I decided I'd never ban myself from eating anything, if I had a craving for a steak or wings or beer or whatever, I didn't tell myself no. But I made sure to eat less of it, just enough to take care of the craving. But more often than not (and I mean 99% of the time) just knowing that I was allowed to have it made it easier to say no to it. I guess the idea is not to be in the "diet" mindset, it has to be how you eat, period, not how you eat for awhile.

Splattered, I work banquets at a resort (bartender), and there's always GOBS of awesome drippy fatty food around, so I know EXACTLY what you mean it gets really hard to eat normally at work some nights. And I like the honey instead of sugar idea. I've all but cut high-fructose corn syrup from my diet completely, and my sugar intake is low. And since honey is pretty good for you anyway, substituting it in sounds like a solid idea.
Any suggestions on your preferred choice of the sweet side in PB and J? I recently bought preserves that doesn't have massive amounts of sugar but I ended up noticing after I ate it that it contained corn syrup, not high fructose CS though. Man HFCS will literally give you cancer, not like I care to prove that to anyone. Ever notice how your taste buds change after dropping the super sugar crap. I used to pop stacker 3's and eat pizza after pizza when I worked at Sbarro. I didn't gain anything except muscles from working with tons of dough. I agree with stupid fly you can't think about for a while you have to make changes you can keep permanent. Cut out the sugar and you'll notice psychological changes too. Seriously refined sugar is as bad for you as cocaine. Soda gives you a high in parts of your brain and you don't even know it and therefore you don't know you crave the sugar high. I don't understand how people can drink it, it tastes awful to me now, any kind. Even with super filters on the fountain. I think this is a result of getting off the sugar crack. But if you come to me at work I'll upsize you because I I get a sick fascination watching people kill themselves with soda and super high fat sauces. Haha!

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 04:47 PM
PostWhore

Lower 1/4 miles times are my motivation to lose weight.

I'm Mister_T and I approve this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in