Salvaging Flooded Cars - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Salvaging Flooded Cars

I know interior fabrics, etc. are shot in a flooded car, but what has to be done to make parts like the IRS work and last in a not flooded car?

Also, what parts are good to score off a flooded car?

The Parts Bin Special is DEAD! It is being parted out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 01:19 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Why not let the water go down before you swoop in like a vulture?

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Anything mechanical can be cleaned and rebuilt. Worth it? You make the call.

Anything electrical is not worth the risk.

Interior stuff I would stay away from, unless it's a hard plastic part. Seats, carpet, and other fabric pieces just wouldn't be worth the effort.

It's only funny until someone gets hurt.
Then it's freaking hilarious.

Adventures in ChumpCar Racing
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 02:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

you don't even know what's there and what isn't... I would stay away from any interior parts;

this is a trip for me since the cities I used to live in and often visited (Iowa City and Cedar Rapids) are currently underwater. I reckon my old apartment is still above water because I was in University Heights and lived on a hill, but Cedar Rapids is RUINED and so is all of Downtown Iowa City. Lol I bet the police station is flooded.. many of these poor folks did not have flood insurance...

basically, it's going to be new orleans all over again except it's going to be in Cedar Rapids, IA but Cedar Rapids isn't exactly a tourist destination

Anyways the Coast Guard is on patrol to look out for looters.

Why not try the auto Salvage yard out in Washington, IA? I don't think they're flooded there but every ruined car out of Iowa City gets sent there...

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Ghost,

I guess we traded locations. I used to live in Anaheim. A number of places that the Iowa Super Coupe club frequented and patronized are water damages if not destroyed. The entire Czech Village is gone.

As far as yards, I usually go to Maquoketa or CR to start with.

Sir William. There are a lot of cars underwater. I'm always asked the automobile questions around here. I don't want to have somebody trash something that can be rehabilitated.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Is that place with the windmill under water? It's kinda near Newton. I went there with the Fiero Club.

IIRC I don't remember seeing that many tbirds in Iowa, though I can tell you there are going to be a TON of ruined Pontiac Grand Ams/Prixes!! LOLOLOLOLOL!!!

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Ghost,

No, Czech Village is in Cedar Rapids. You take Wilson Av. East from I-380.

There's enough of us. Look at the Iowa chapter club forum here for pictures of roast GTP at the hands of various T-Birds, Cougars, and Marks. I've done in a few myself with the Part Bin Special. One guy broke an axle trying to beat me.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post

basically, it's going to be new orleans all over again except it's going to be in Cedar Rapids, IA but Cedar Rapids isn't exactly a tourist destination

Anyways the Coast Guard is on patrol to look out for looters.
Not quite, the overall quality of people living in IA is NOT whats down in New Orleans. Not everyone from there was bad but overall...I was in NOLA after Katrina and the people there...well...thats another story

These folks in IA are fighting like hell to save their stuff with entire communities getting together to sandbag everything. I would be very surprised if looting becomes widespread problem.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Beerdog,

I know a guy who was living in NO when Katrina hit. He moved back to CR. I don't know if the water got his new bird or not.

Some Low life in NO stole the front bumper cover of his Coug after the water got it. There's the difference between NO and IA. People weren't looking to steal from their neighbors in IA.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 01:58 PM
2nd Gear Poster

me and some of my freind useto buy flooded 5.0 mustangs. we would take them all apart clean every thing power wash the seats carpet door panels ect let dry and put every thing back together with new fluids and a few junkyard parts . and sell them. AODs didn't do so well wance water got in them but t-5 clean up nice. buy them with clean titles for 250 -500 and sell them 1500-3000 took 3 people 2 weeks per car to get them clean and run.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 08:54 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD View Post
Beerdog,

I know a guy who was living in NO when Katrina hit. He moved back to CR. I don't know if the water got his new bird or not.

Some Low life in NO stole the front bumper cover of his Coug after the water got it. There's the difference between NO and IA. People weren't looking to steal from their neighbors in IA.
exactly my point. I have several friends and family that are flooded out and they have yet to even mention looters. I noticed the national guard was in place pretty quick once it got bad and they dont seem to be getting much hassle.

Me, on the other hand, got shot at for my efforts to save American lives. Folks down there seemed more interested in starting their own version of Somalia than saving lives. I have never been more mad or ashamed at the same time.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
PCD
Confirmed V6 Nut

Beerdog,

"Knothead" Nagin took a shot at you? just kidding.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 07:25 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD View Post
Beerdog,

"Knothead"Nagin took a shot at you? just kidding.
He probley did to win a few more votes

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in