2008 LeMans Race Results..... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

2008 LeMans Race Results.....

Not that anybody cares about LeMans in particular, but I find it rather interesting that diesels took the top six overall spots, in the 24 Hours of Lemans, or the 24 Heures du Mans 2008, which is French for " Aw, f*ck, we forgot the tent again!"

The event was ran on the world famous Circuit de la Sarthe, which translates to "We Go In Circles To Clean The Horse Poop Off Of The Road Before The Race Starts". It is also an odd track, in that 85% of it is regular roads used year-round, and away from race time, oddly enough, showcases the slowest drivers in French history.

Audi wins Lemans (overall, In LMP1) for the 8th time, in nine years. Peugeot got close (the French always come in second place to the Germans, don't they?), and actually led for a while, but a tire change with an hour to go sealed the deal for Audi, as they chose an intermediate tire set up for rain use, while Peugeot thought that they were in too much of a danger of actually winning the event, and went with a slick tire.
In fact, LMP1 rounded out the top nine spots, with the first-in-class LMP2 Porsche RS Spyder Evo finishing tenth. I got to see bits and pieces of this event, and the racing was close from start to finish, for the entire 24 hours. This speaks volumes about the engineering prowess of the teams, and even speaks louder about the French damn-near winning their own event, because everyone knows that France must have spent $800 bazillion+ to get a car just to run for 24 hours straight without exploding and maiming hundreds of innocent bystanders, never mind it actually hold up for the entire event without going up in a titanic fireball, vaporizing all animal and plant life within a 20-mile radius.

While the LMP1 class was a battle between two giants, GT1 paired Corvette against Aston Martin, Corvette wanting to avenge last-year's loss to their snooty British arch-nemesis, while Aston Martin wished to fling a martini-soaked booger at the windshields of the oversexed Americano upstarts. Gone was last-year's paint scheme, green with yellow grille openings (hey, just like most British men I know, skin is green-looking after too much booze, and yellow teeth), and for this year, retro Gulf aqua blue paint for the team cars. The Team Corvette rides returned with the enjoyable retina-blasting yellow paint, which turned to an ugly shade of defeat brown by race's end, due to brake problems, which cost the Vette team valuable minutes, allowing the Aston Martin team time enough to pass them, stop on the track, back up really slowly, give the finger to everyone in the Corvette pits while laughing uproariously, and then take off again for the win in GT1.
Maybe next year....

Moving onto GT2....
Ferrari clinches the top 4 spots of GT2 this year with the F430, with Ferrari then bragging afterward to anyone within earshot, that "Italians 'do' it in the rain!". Porsche's 997 brought up 5th place in GT2, with the official spokesperson for Porsche having no official comment, but was heard muttering "Next year, we are bringing the Messerschmidts" as he hastened to the Porsche team trailer.

Notes: The only thing in there directly Ford-related is the lone Saleen S7 entry....which finished a strong (snicker) 28th.

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:10 PM
PostWhore

I watched several hours of the race, and the Peugeot was a fantastic car, that would of won if the rain had not came. or they made a better choice of tires for the rain. The engineering that went into both the Audi and Peugeot diesel engines will benefit the automotive industry for years.

I use to live in Germany and France both, and went to most of the big races in Europe, and Lemans is one of them. There are very few cars that complete that race with out major repairs, and for these Diesels to complete it is a major accomplishment.

-----1993 Bird 5.0------
393 stroker, Vortech YSi, on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 4,000+ RPM stall converter
Detroit Locker with 3.55 gears.
17x9 Cobra Rs with 255/45/17 BFG KWDS
275/50/17 M&H DR on the rear

Click for Full Project
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392Bird View Post
I watched several hours of the race, and the Peugeot was a fantastic car, that would of won if the rain had not came. or they made a better choice of tires for the rain. The engineering that went into both the Audi and Peugeot diesel engines will benefit the automotive industry for years.

I use to live in Germany and France both, and went to most of the big races in Europe, and Lemans is one of them. There are very few cars that complete that race with out major repairs, and for these Diesels to complete it is a major accomplishment.
Watching what little bit of the race I got to see, and missing the last couple of hours, I was surprised to see Audi win overall, as Peugeot was clearly a match for the Audis. Next year, unless something weird happens next year, like a different competitor coming in for the overall title (Apparently, Corvette was going to run LMP1 with a new rear-engine Vette, but backed out of the program), this year's race was too close to call until the bad tire call, with the edge going to Peugeot.

However, what was truly hilarious was the guy from McLaren who was insisting that LeMans races weren't 'real' racing....that somehow or another, these cars were simply plodding around the track for 24 hours, hoping not to blow up....

Yes, I hate my Lincoln. Ask me about it sometime.

My Drivetribe garbage:
https://drivetribe.com/u/ivrqNaWFWj_...SaGpcKvLTz6v9w

My LarryLand Automotive Facebook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Larry...61642343862942

My Scribd.com garbage: http://www.scribd.com/larry_vanzandt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in