--author unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

terrible news
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i was just able to see Scott compete at joliet 2 weeks ago. its just a reminder no matter how safe the car is this is a dangerous sport. my thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Kalitta family, team and the rest of the NHRA family.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:42 PM
PostWhore

happens

part of the sport

at least died while doing what he loved

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:36 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
bummer, i didn't even get to see him race in person. ..... Godspeed

I'M BACK
97 Supercharged Ford Thunderbird with warpdrive
Check out my Gallery

vist the Man RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

ress Release from Kalitta Motorsports
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

KALITTA MOTORSPORTS
Media Contact: Todd Myers

Scott Kalitta succumbs to injuries suffered in qualifying incident

ENGLISHTOWN, N.J., (June 21, 200 - Scott Kalitta, a two-time former NHRA Top Fuel champion and one of just 14 drivers to have won in both of NHRA's nitro categories, died June 21, 2008, as the result of injuries suffered in a qualifying accident at Old Bridge Township Raceway Park in Englishtown, N.J., during the running of the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals. He was 46.

Kalitta, the son of legendary Top Fuel and Funny Car racer Connie Kalitta, began his career in Alcohol Dragsters and reached his first final round at the 1982 Southern Nationals. He scored his first of what would be 18 career Professional victories six year later, in Funny Car, at the 1989 event in Houston. He later switched to Top Fuel, and joined the dual-fuel club with his first nitro dragster victory, in Topeka, in 1993. At that event, he also recorded the then-fastest speed in NHRA history (308.64 mph) at Topeka. Earlier that year, he had become the fourth member of the Slick 50 300-mph Club at Gainesville.

His great 1993 season set the stage for a championship run in 1994, during which he won five events, including four consecutive -- Columbus, Topeka, Denver and Sonoma – becoming the first Top Fuel driver to do so. Incredibly, he one-upped that season in 1995, where he won six events and a career-best 45 rounds of eliminations en route to his second straight championship.

He finished second in the standings in 1996, but had a fine season nonetheless, scoring a $100,000 victory in the Budweiser Shootout at the season finale in Pomona and set top speed at a category-best eight races.

After winning the Topeka event in 1997 – his fourth straight at the race – he announced his retirement from the sport and sat out until an abbreviated 10-race campaign in 1999. He returned after a three-year hiatus – joining his cousin, Doug, who was now driving for Connie and quickly showed he still had the skills to win, reaching two final rounds and clocking the fastest speed in history at 333.95 mph.

He finally returned to the winner's circle in 2004 with a breakthrough win in Denver and his fourth-place finished marked his sixth top-five points finish in the NHRA POWERade Series. He earned the final two wins of his career in 2005, when he scored in Top Fuel at the season-opening Winternationals in Pomona and in Chicago and finished the season eighth in points.

Kalitta returned to his Funny Car roots in 2006 and reached the semifinals in Denver that year. In 2007, he also reached one semifinal, but this year made his first final-round appearance in three years, and the 26th of his career, with a runner-up in Chicago two weeks ago.

Kalitta is survived by his wife, Kathy; sons Corey, 15, and Colin, 8; and his father, Connie.

Further details will be provided as they become available.

In lieu of today's tragic events, Kalitta Motorsports' race cars driven by Doug Kalitta, Dave Grubnic and Hillary Will will not compete in tomorrow's final eliminations of the Lucas Oil NHRA SuperNationals.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sik97bird View Post
bummer, i didn't even get to see him race in person. ..... Godspeed
Amen.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
To a local boy... R.I.P. May blessing fall on Connie and Shirley...

A very sad day in the world of Motorsports.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:17 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to CobraRThunder
Video....cause I know someone wants to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU

4R70W From DirtyDog
VORTECH BLOWN w/3.12" Reichard ultra-grip pulley
TEA Stage2 PI Heads, 9.5:1 manley slugs/manley H-beams, cobra crank, VTStage3 blower cams, Trick Flow track heat intake, FMIC TR1245 intercooler, ART Dual 2.5" exhaust/Stainless/no cats, KOOKS coated headers, 4.10 w/ Auburn Pro, aluminum 8.8 housing, Dynotech driveshaft, Koni's, Eibach Springs, Baer 13" big brake kit. cobra rear brake/hub conversion, VMP Slot Blowthru setup, #60 Inj. 75mm TB,
615 rwhp/500 torque 15.5psi best of [email protected] still needs tuning.
CarDomain http://www.cardomain.com/ride/426794
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 12:02 AM
4th Gear Poster

Wow that's crazy. My uncle and cousins went down to Englishtown this weekend for the races. That's pretty terrible

- Mark
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 06:19 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRThunder View Post
Video....cause I know someone wants to see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DziJdGwFQjU
OMG WTF? They put a wall at the end of the track!!! I can't believe that. What kind of a track is that? It's certainly not properly designed for 300 MPH runs, as is made so painfully apparent by this tragedy.

A wall! A friggin wall no extra run out, no padded foam barrier, no plastic barrels filled with water, no sand rumble strip, no gradual incline to help dissipate the speed of a car, no net... nothing. How about a tail hook and cable system like they use on aircraft carriers to arrest landing aircraft?

There must be a hundred things they could have done differently to prevent his death.

I'd certainly hope that this tragedy will be the impetus for the NHRA to re-evaluate its tracks; in the manner that Dale Earnhardt's death lead NASCAR to the mandatory use of the HANS device.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-22-2008 at 07:07 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Birdless

Send a message via AIM to Grasshopper Send a message via Yahoo to Grasshopper
They interviewed many drivers after the incident, most lamenting the death of their friend, but Tony Pedredgon was pretty critical of NHRA for their lack of safety consideration at this track. You would think that they would consider the contingency that a 300+ mph car would completely lose braking ability at the finish line and make some changes at an old track (lengthen/raise far end, better devices to safely slow down the car, or whatever).

Yeah, a wall?? Wow...

A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Like Titles Matter

The problem with the track and having that wall down there is all the NIMBYs that have moved out there, the track used to be in the middle of nowhere. They even have a noise curfew due to those idiots. This is just like all of the people who cry about not wanting oil refineries or anything else, Now California doesn't want offshore drilling, but they damn sure want the oil from it. These NIMBYs are destroying this country.

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
The problem with the track and having that wall down there is all the NIMBYs that have moved out there, the track used to be in the middle of nowhere. They even have a noise curfew due to those idiots. This is just like all of the people who cry about not wanting oil refineries or anything else, Now California doesn't want offshore drilling, but they damn sure want the oil from it. These NIMBYs are destroying this country.

Same thing happens around here, local dirt tracks that have been around for 50+ years have surrounding property sold to developers, those developers put a housing development up, then the people move in and ***** about noise and dust. Stupid.

R.I.P. Scott

BLittle500

2008 Racing Shirts Are In!!!

1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (Race Car)
1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (2009 Race Car)
2003 Ford F-250 Superduty 5.4L (Daily Driver) FOR SALE
2004 Honda CBR600RR uhhh 0.6L (Sh!ts & Giggles)

1995 LX Dirt Oval Race Car
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Birdless

Send a message via AIM to Grasshopper Send a message via Yahoo to Grasshopper
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
Yeah, I think that's what Pedregon was talking about, but still, is there some kind of technology at straight tracks (other than the politics of lengthening the track) to slow them down at the far end of they can't stop?

A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Ainline41
Grasshopper vv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
A wall! A friggin wall no extra run out, no padded foam barrier, no barrels filled with water, no sand rumble strip, no gradual incline to help dissipate the speed of a car, no net... nothing. How about a tail hook and cable system like they use on aircraft carriers to arrest landing aircraft?

There must be a hundred things they could have done differently to prevent his death.

R.I.P. Scott

98 Mark VIII LSC
03 Focus ZX3 2.3 - beater

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in