Need some help - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to alasich
Need some help

Ok boys, i have quite the decision on my hands. And i normally make the wrong decisions, and don't think of it much.

Ok, heres my problem, my car is blowing up on me. My struts are shot, my tie rods are shot, about 4 different leaks, rear end is gonna blow, some rust on the body, and the interior isn't all that great, and my breaks are seized on, dash is messing up, and possibly cruise control.

I need to get the struts fixed, its starting to piss me off, i will shoot myself if i hear them squeak any more.

Its only a 3.8L NA so its not really that fast, and i can't really squeal the tires, and i want to go fast, like 170+ which my car doesn't really do.

Heres what i got. I can either fix this car, or sell it and wait until a can find a 4.6L cougar. I love my cougar, and it was my first "real" car, and i have alot of memories in this car. I've put on 12,427 miles since i've purchased it in the end of december, so thats alot of road trip memories.

Most of you are saying, wow, alot of things wrong with that crappy car of his, but i also installed a new tranny, and new tires, and engine rebuild, so it doesnt burn oil.

Heres the decision, sell it or fix it.
What do you think?

p.s. Sorry for the long post

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

Muffler removal, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 205/75/R15 Trail Rated Tires, Rear Chrome Removal, Front Fog Lights, Digital Dash Mod, New AOD Transmission with Shift Kit, Air Silencer Delete

~newly painter front and back bumper and side mirrors. Done by me, and quite proud of it!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
How much do you have in the pocket to get r done?

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

i have about 1k give or take, mostly take. not all needs to be fixed right now.

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

Muffler removal, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 205/75/R15 Trail Rated Tires, Rear Chrome Removal, Front Fog Lights, Digital Dash Mod, New AOD Transmission with Shift Kit, Air Silencer Delete

~newly painter front and back bumper and side mirrors. Done by me, and quite proud of it!~
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
You have to sit down then and prioritize, and then think of the stuff you can accomplish yourself.

Make up a parts list, and then list prices; go from there. Sound good to you?

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

well, the only reason i would get the new car, nicer looking interior (the new design) and the V8!!!!

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I say keep it and fix it to stock (depending on the rust and how bad the interior it). Just repair it, and drive it like a non-performance car. This is also assuming you can do the maintenance yourself. Anytime you have to farm out labor, vehicle repair can get expensive!

If you want to go 170+ mph you shouldn't even be looking at the MN12 as a platform (unless you have deep pockets).

As long as you're smart and shop around and don't go for the "goodies", the MN12 platform can be a rather inexpensive car to own/maintain. But you have to hold keep yourself away from the "Well, since I have to buy new x's, I might as well go with the performance version..." mentality.

Yeah, I know that's hard!!!

But that is just my opinion.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

well, i do want to underdrive pully it, and split port, that'll get me about 40hp.. i hope... but maybe i'll just keep it, and fix it. The body isn't that bad (there are picts on here somewhere). there is only 1 hole in the car. the rest i can attempt to fix myself.

And not 170+Mph (i'm canadian, lol) i mean km/h so about 105mph

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by alasich View Post
And not 170+Mph (i'm canadian, lol) i mean km/h so about 105mph
LOL!! I didn't catch that!

But yeah, I'd say fix it for now and get it nice and reliable. Then later down the road decide if want to try for power out of the 3.8L or get a V8.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

lol, but i dont want to put alot of money into this one, that i could put into a new car.

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:40 PM

dude fix it, i wish a had a new tranny.. i have the ford version of your cougar, and trans flushes arent' helping it anymore.. oh well i knew it was coming.. later..
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

ya, i think thats where i'll go for. Sure, i have a brand new tranny, but it leaks, and i doubt the tranny place is going to swap out my converter. my dad mostly thinks i should keep it because the sorta new engine, and it doesnt burn a drop of oil. said thats quite lucky for a car this age. I should beable to do the body work mself, my fender wasn't that bad. tie rods i'll attempt, my new struts, ya, the repair shop can do that.

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Struts and Shocks are easy to replace on your own, really, I am a pro at doing it now.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

oh, heres a awesome update, car now leaks gas from the gas tank, and theres another leak somewhere hitting something hot going ssssss.

stupid car!

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Could be a supply hose. Just Rubber, you should feel my pain on my 63, I mean its like everytime I turn the corner or repair something, there is another problem.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

well, feels like gas is coming straight from the hose, i could be wrong, and hopefully your right... please let you be right...

the leak is on the passenger side, towards the front of the car. i can't tell where its coming from

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 PM

The squeaking isn't from the shocks, it's the bushings in the control arm.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=108492

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:35 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
Gas leak sounds like it might be from the gas filter(located under passenger floor board). Could be as simple as checking your connections. Im guessing the rust is in the rockers? because that is the most common place on these cars for rust but from what I've seen its very repairable. Id say keep it, is the tranny still under warranty? if so tell them to fix the leak, if not get an estimate.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in