I was just wondering how you guys felt about the Anheuser-Busch situation. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I was just wondering how you guys felt about the Anheuser-Busch situation.

I would just like to know what everyone thinks about this.
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...6zU&refer=home

1. This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between sending private messages. Please try again in 266079416 seconds. wtf?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 11:03 PM
shaken, not stirred

That is crazy, I didnt know Bud had a theme park . And did anyone else catch that InBev is stated to have been around since 1366?

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 12:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
You've never heard of "Busch Gardens"?

They got em all over the place. Tampa, Williamsburg, Orlando, and I think in St. Louis.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 05:12 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangboy7 View Post
That is crazy, I didn't know Bud had a theme park . And did anyone else catch that InBev is stated to have been around since 1366?

C.Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

They got em all over the place. Tampa, Williamsburg, Orlando, and I think in St. Louis.
They also own SeaWorld.

I hope they do turn the offer down and don't accept any counter-offers. They could learn a lesson from Yahoo's refusal of the Microsoft offer. I'd hate to see a great American company sell out to foreigners for any price.

Unfortunately the ultimate decision can't be made by CEO, August Bush IV alone, but will fall to other controlling shareholders (namely Warren Buffet) and British financial services giant Barclays.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-26-2008 at 05:28 AM.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:41 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Augusta Busch hopefully puts up a good fight. I hope they remain not only an american company, but a family run one too.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:09 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I for one hope it doesn't go through. Living here all my life I can't imagine Bud being owned by a foreign company. They say they wouldn't make any changes to the brew, etc..., but we all know how that goes.

I don't know a lot about politics, nor do I care to, but I am tired of seeing American companies being sold to forein intrests. I think it's sad that someone can come in, offer shareholders $65 a share and take another piece of American heritage, all in the name of the $. I know the stock has been flat at what, $45-50/share for years, but still. I for one would rather have the company remain American, just like it has for the last 100+ years.

I'd be willing to bet that if AB trims some fat on their own, that they could increase profits w/o selling out. They not only contribute a lot to the local STL area, but to many other places/charities. Do you think if InBev gets ahold of it that once they are done making cuts to the budget that this will continue? I highly doubt it.

They also say it would give them new markets to sell to. To who? The Germans certainly won't drink a watery American lager.

All I can do is hope that the shareholders and Busch family listen to what the public is saying, and save one of the biggest American icons that we have left that we can truly call our own. And yes, I do drink AB products, for the record

Just my .02

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

One big problem is that Warren Buffet thinks they should sell it. That's a pretty ****ty deal when one's integrity can be bought. I read that they're going to maybe close down some of the Busch Gardens; not the one in ST Louis though. Because of the contributions they make I bet if they sell out the things that are free like The Science Center, and the Zoo probably will turn into $50 attractions like everywhere else in this country. I have friends whose parents and grandparents have worked there forever. If AB happened to shut down it would be like another Ford shutdown.

1. This forum requires that you wait 30 seconds between sending private messages. Please try again in 266079416 seconds. wtf?
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesusraybrown View Post
One big problem is that Warren Buffet thinks they should sell it. That's a pretty ****ty deal when one's integrity can be bought. I read that they're going to maybe close down some of the Busch Gardens; not the one in ST Louis though. Because of the contributions they make I bet if they sell out the things that are free like The Science Center, and the Zoo probably will turn into $50 attractions like everywhere else in this country. I have friends whose parents and grandparents have worked there forever. If AB happened to shut down it would be like another Ford shutdown.

And that is the issue I have w/ the whole idea. While I can see Buffet's side of things as an investor/stock holder, etc..., I just personally couldn't bring myself to allow another one of America's great companies to be bought, regardless of the profit. You have to draw the line somewhere. I try to understand the whole "free market/global economy" thing, but I just can't see how selling of another one of America's greatest icons helps people in the long run. I guess since I don't base my life on the almighty dollar I will never understand.

I guess they would sell Grant's Farm as well, seeing as how it would just be another drain on their profits. And with the Zoo being one of the last free ones in the US, I'm sure they would find a way to make their money back on that as well. Although IIRC, the property tax on the Zoo and Science Center is payed by the residents of STL, so hopefully that would remain as-is as long as other companies would step up to help keep it free.

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 10:36 PM
shaken, not stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

I have heard of all of those excpet for the STL one, i dindt know they had one in STL. But I didnt know it was Busch as in "Busch Beer". I was hoping it was going to turn out to be like a "beer-land" or somthing like that. lol

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 09:53 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangboy7 View Post
....I was hoping it was going to turn out to be like a "beer-land" or somthing like that. lol

C.Hill
Well, you can get free beer there. At least you could the last time I took the brewery tour in Williamsburg. Limit is 2.

Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are:
You only need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 AM
shaken, not stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodaa View Post
Well, you can get free beer there. At least you could the last time I took the brewery tour in Williamsburg. Limit is 2.
Ya the tour in STL you get 2 free beers there as well.

C.Hill

- Henry Ford

- Thomas A. Edison

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 04:40 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Update

Anheuser-Busch goes to court to silence InBev
Wants company to not contact shareholders as takeover battle goes hostile

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25592345/

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-09-2008, 10:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Anheuser-Busch goes to court to silence InBev
Wants company to not contact shareholders as takeover battle goes hostile

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25592345/
maybe AB shouldnt have acquired ImBev in the first place.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:53 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, it would be nice to see this playing out the other way around. A-B is big enough to pull it off but smart enough not to go there. Apparently ImBev is not.

Like every other take over it's not about making a better product but eliminating (consuming) the competition. It's all about the money.

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Stroked and Blown

Send a message via AIM to BlakTbird96
Hell yeah, another american company gone! Get rid of all of em' Hmmm.....maybe I should blame this on..................................NEVERMIND

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
'06 Chrysler Sebring "Vert 2.7
post #16 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Yea, it would be nice to see this playing out the other way around. A-B is big enough to pull it off but smart enough not to go there. Apparently ImBev is not.

Like every other take over it's not about making a better product but eliminating (consuming) the competition. It's all about the money.

imbev was originally acquired because their regional distributors in the US did a piss-poor job, hence A-B stepped in and provided a more consistent and stable distribution process with their distributors.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #17 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 03:43 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
It's all about the Money

InBev raises offer for brewer Anheuser-Busch
Reports: Maker of Bud beer is likely to accept sweetened buyout offer

Well, they're gonna do it. No more American ownership.

~Long Live the King of Beers!~

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25637808/

post #18 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:18 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to CougarXR/7
inbev

Fu*k inbev!

To ALL my fellow Veterans......................Thanks!

U. S. Army 1971 - 1974

1980 Thunderbird - R.I.P.
1992 Super Coupe five speed
1990 35Th "Anni" Super Coupe automatic - R.I.P.
1994 Super Coupe five speed
1994 4.6 LX Thunderbird automatic - R.I.P.
1995 4.6 LX Thunderbird automatic - R.I.P.
post #19 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 03:46 PM
PostWhore

Garage
The weak dollar and the bad economy make US companies prime for takeover. The oil rich counties will own most of the US before long.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2
post #20 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Thumbs down Its a done deal!

Anheuser-Busch agrees to sale to a Belgian brewer
By CHRISTOPHER LEONARD • ASSOCIATED PRESS • July 14, 2008

Read Comments(42)Recommend (2)Print this page E-mail this article
Share this article: Del.icio.us Facebook Digg Reddit Newsvine What’s this?
ST. LOUIS — Anheuser-Busch, the maker of Budweiser and Bud Light, has agreed to a takeover by a giant Belgian brewer, a union that creates a global beer leader and brings to an end one of the most iconic names in American business.

The board of directors of Anheuser-Busch Cos. Inc. on Sunday accepted a sweetened $52 billion takeover offer from Belgian brewer InBev SA, according to a joint press release.

The deal, which is subject to shareholders’ and regulators’ approval, would create the world’s largest brewer and create the fourth-largest consumer product company worldwide.

“This combination will create a stronger, more competitive global company with an unrivaled worldwide brand portfolio and distribution network, with great potential for growth all over the world,” Carlos Brito, CEO of InBev, said in the statement.

For InBev, the maker of Stella Artois and Beck’s, the deal gives an aggressive company an iconic beer brand — Budweiser — to sell into emerging markets where it has already established a firm footprint.

InBev is the world’s second-largest beer-maker behind SABMiller. Anheuser-Busch is by far the largest brewer in the U.S. with more than 48 percent of the market share.

Brito will be chief executive officer of the combined company, which will be named Anheuser-Busch-InBev. Shareholders will receive $70 a share, a $5 increase over the offer Anheuser-Busch rejected in June.

It wasn’t immediately clear how long approval might take. Several Missouri politicians have expressed concerns about the merger — especially how it would affect the approximate 6,000 people employed by Anheuser-Busch in St. Louis.

InBev said it plans to use St. Louis as its North American headquarters, and that it will keep open all 12 of Anheuser-Busch’s North American breweries.

InBev announced its intent to try and purchase Anheuser-Busch on June 11. The Anheuser-Busch board initially voted against the merger, calling the initial $65 per share offer too low.

That prompted much squabbling between the companies over the past few weeks. InBev filed a motion seeking the removal of all 13 Anheuser-Busch board members; Anheuser-Busch filed suit calling the InBev effort an “illegal scheme” that threatened to defraud Anheuser-Busch shareholders. Among other things, the suit noted that InBev failed to disclose it operates a brewery in Cuba.

Few products are associated with America as much as Budweiser. Its Clydesdale horses are fixtures of Super Bowl ads, and even the label is red, white and blue, with an eagle swooping through the “A.”

“This agreement provides additional and certain value for Anheuser-Busch shareholders, while enhancing global market access for Budweiser, one of America’s true iconic brands,” August Busch IV, Anheuser-Busch president and CEO, said in the statement.

The merger, if completed, also will bring to an end a name synonymous with St. Louis. From college buildings to theme parks to offices to the stadium where the Cardinals play baseball, the Busch name is virtually everywhere in the Gateway City.

Eberhard Anheuser acquired the Bavarian brewery in 1860 and renamed it E. Anheuser & Co. His son-in-law, Adolphus Busch, joined the company in 1864 and it was eventually renamed Anheuser-Busch.

The company survived Prohibition by selling products ranging from ice cream to root beer.

In addition to opposition from politicians and civic leaders, at least two Web sites sprung up opposing the merger. SaveBudweiser.com claims to have more than 60,000 signatures from merger opponents. SaveAB.com hosted a recent anti-merger rally that drew hundreds to downtown St. Louis.

InBev has not said if layoffs will occur as a result of the merger. The company said it expects cost synergies of at least $1.5 billion a year by 2011 over three years. The deal won’t benefit earnings per share until 2010, it said.

Even without the merger, Anheuser-Busch said last month it planned to cut pension and health benefits for salaried employees as part of an effort to slash $1 billion in costs by the end of 2010. The plan called for offering early retirement to 1,300 salaried workers 55 and older.

The cost-cutting effort was part of a strategy to fend off the merger. Anheuser-Busch also owns a 50 percent share in Grupo Modelo, Mexico’s leading brewer, and a 27 percent share in China brewer Tsingtao.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #21 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
Yeah, gonna have to find a new brew now...

-Rob

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
post #22 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

no one was complaining when AB acquired ImBev's american operations. Imbev wont be shutting down ANY breweries, HQ will be in the STL, hell, maybe more bud will be sold globally, increasing demand, thus increasing supply and requiring another brewery to be built here.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
post #23 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
That's optimistic, Obucina. I did hear that Inbev will make Budweiser their "Flagship" beer - for what that's worth. Personally, I've already switched to Samuel Adams and any other American Microbrew I can get my hands on. There are a lot of them out there. Sams makes excellent beers!

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I've heard a lot of other people say that they won't drink their brands now that A-B is no longer a pure American company.

post #24 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
I drink MillerCoors products so I don't worry about it!

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #25 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
I drink MillerCoors products so I don't worry about it!
I enjoy a Miller every now and then.

At least they've already been bought by SAB, another foreign company in 02 so most of those changes are probably done by now. Who knows what will happen to all of the aux. companies that AB owns (Busch Gardens, etc...)

Jay

post #26 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
I won't be drinking any more Budwieser. I'm not here for other companies from other countries. Screw them. I'll just go to Sam Adams. Maybe Shiner Bock.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #27 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
That's optimistic, Obucina. I did hear that Inbev will make Budweiser their "Flagship" beer - for what that's worth. Personally, I've already switched to Samuel Adams and any other American Microbrew I can get my hands on. There are a lot of them out there. Sams makes excellent beers!

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I've heard a lot of other people say that they won't drink their brands now that A-B is no longer a pure American company.
its easy to say that the sky is falling. we live in a world with multi-national corporations, stuff like this happens. American workers will still be producing the beer, they will still get paid. I will still drink Land Shark.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
post #28 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 06:32 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
Pabst Blue Ribbon FTW!

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #29 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
its easy to say that the sky is falling. we live in a world with multi-national corporations, stuff like this happens. American workers will still be producing the beer, they will still get paid. I will still drink Land Shark.
I hate to tell you that alot of people I've talked to also say they won't be drinking Budwieser anymore either. My mom is pissed about it. She works for a distributer in Florida. Their sales have decreased and it isn't cause we are in a depression. Or ressesion. WTTF. I haven't had bud or any of their products in along time anyways. Can't drink Miller either. They sold out to a South African company years ago.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #30 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:17 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I don't drink much anymore so it doesn't matter. When I quit drinking with regularity I lost my beer belly and I was happy to give up alcohol for a flat stomach.

If you beer nuts love yer beers so much brew it at home, cheap and effective. Its pretty easy actually, I've only made a 6 pack but it was good and strong. Better than any bud.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in