Hey Air Force Guys - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
Hey Air Force Guys

Have any of you been been based at Langley or Wright-Patterson? How are the two?

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 07:23 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
I was at Wright-Patterson a couple years ago for some C-5 fire training with the 445th airlift wing and last year I stayed at the Inn for the SC Shoot out last year. Very clean, pretty big and home to the Air Force Museum. Services, BX-Commissary, and hotel inn are all great. I remember the chow hall was one of the best I've ever seen, but what Air Force base doesn't have a good chow hall. Haven't been to Langley so couldn't help you there, I think they have a couple fighter wings there with F-22s and 16s, basically a fighter base there.

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 08:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
What Air Force base isn't bad? LOL. That is a loaded question.
My best bud is stationed at Wright-Patt, as an MP, so be good, he will get you!

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well ive been around the area of both, so thats not a problem. Im actually thinking about trying to join the Air Force again. I couldnt when I wanted to out of high school because I had damaged the cartilage in my knee from football. It hasnt bothered me for like 3 years and Im going to go have it checked before I do anything. I want to get into something like labwork, what I was going to go to college for after I found out I couldnt join the Air Force (Air Force didnt say i couldnt, my doctor did) My dad was in the Air Force flying U-2's and B-52's in Korea, and he said it was awesome. My ASVAB score was like 97 i believe. I would like to be based at either bases if I did join.

Also I saw that there were 2 different basic training schedules, 6.5 weeks and 8.5 weeks. I currently weigh 235, 5'11" so I need to lose at least 30 I think. If someone can let me know what a day is like in Air Force basic, that'd be sweet.

Something someone said on here in another thread got me thinking again so thats why im interested in it again about working your azz off paying a deans salary for school, when the Air Force will pay it for you for a little bit of work.

P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Something someone said on here in another thread got me thinking again so thats why im interested in it again about working your azz off paying a deans salary for school, when the Air Force will pay it for you for a little bit of work.

Oh, That would be me! LOL. Good, damn, good, I am happy someone is realizing the reality of it all. What I would do, is get all your Medical Documents from your Knee injury, then give them to your recruiter, did you have surgery? You will need a Pre/Post operative report. As for you weight, as for your weight, with the Navy, your Max is 196, but can get in if your Body fat % is under 25%. That is what we can do, I don't know all the A/F weight standards, but that is what I can do for you.

Ok. I wish the absolute best for you. Let us know what transpires.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 01:50 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
Yeah the funny thing about the Air Force is that you sign up for your job and you go to basic. Towards the end of basic you'll find out where you can go for that job or AFSC is what they call it. So you'll look through a large book and put where you wanna go on your "dream sheet" and then turn it in. It's called a dream sheet for a reason. I put all east coast bases on mine... I ended up in Washington State ahah. So you don't always get what you want and if they really need you somewhere you'll go there regardless of if it was on your sheet or not. NOW that is partially true. Once you goto tech school they'll inform you your orders are in and that is when you find out what base you're goign to. I think they give you like a week or so to trade with someone else. So if you can find someone else in your same AFSC that wants to trade then you can talk to the MTL's and trade with them.

But with that said... Air Force Bases are all pretty nice. I just don't like the city of Spokane is all. I'm a southerner at heart and not diggin all the yankees It's got some bads but like I said in another post. The goods outway the bads and the Benefits are Great. I can walk to work if needed, free health care, free food, free housing. That's why 4 dollars a gallon doesn't bother me

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

The reason i mentioned Wright-Patt and Langley is because they are close to home somewhat. My g/f of so many years is going to WVU for her masters in nursing. I really dont want to leave her behind but I need to better my life somehow, if she wants to come along for the ride (spouses are treated well in the Air Force, right? given the same benefits and money for college?) then she should have nothing to worry about. I just dont want to end up in Minot or some place like that, but I guess it all depends on where I can get in at.

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:

Last edited by Gcline; 07-03-2008 at 04:09 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 05:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

First off... Girlfriends aren't paid for at all for the Air Force. You won't be able to live off base and have the Air Force pay for it you won't get money for food or anything like that. You'll have to be married. Now I just over heard some people talking and I know they just recently made some changes to or are making changes to the GI bill. I've been hearing it since I've gotten in that they have been talking about making it possible so that spouses can use your GI bill but I don't know if they have changed it already or not so I would look into it. But as far as I know in the Air Force you're the one who gets the tuition Assistance and the GI bill. She won't get any assistance unless she enlists or gets commissioned as well.

I understand not wanting to be away from home too far but you're the governments after you sign that contract and goto basic. They will send you where ever they need you and they won't care what you have to say about it. Even if it's overseas. The good news about that though is that if you are overseas long enough when you come back you'll be able to choose which base you want to goto and if it has an opening then you're almost garunteed that spot. You basically have first choose at it in otherwords.

AHAH hope you don't get Grand Forks either There are a few places that are just ****ty. Dyess there is NOTHIGN down there in Texas. but most places are very nice. I've been to Wright Patt with a friend, Charleston AFB, Fairchild is where I'm living now. It's in Eastern Washington (the Desert Side), Tinker AFB, and Tyndall AFB FL. They are all pretty nice and Fairchild has had the number 1 outdoor Rec for like the last 8 years in all the Air Force. But I would much prefer Charleston to be honest. I work on KC135 tankers and I'm trying to cross over to C17's and get either McChord which is in tacoma area or Chareston AFB.

Just go talk to a recruiter and please keep in mind that take what they say with a grain of salt. Most recruiters will tell you just about anything to get you to sign and what not. Also no matter what they tell you. Until you goto MEPS(military entrance processing Station) and sign the contract the day before you're supposed to ship out for basic you can walk out. I went to MEPS twice. Once for my ASVAB and talk about what jobs I might be interested in. at This point I was DEPed in. Delayed Entry Program. Then the 2nd time to sign my real contract and ship out. If you go the 2nd time and they start telling you that the job you thought you were coming in for was all effed up and you have to do something you don't like look them in hte eye and tell them you aren't signing anything until you get something you want to do or are interested in. The 2nd contract is the one you can't break. Once you sign the 2nd one you belong to the government. So don't let them pressure you into something you dont' wanna do because they need people in those career fields which is what they will try to do.

Another warning I will tell you. If you aren't 100 percent sure you're going to like it and what not the Air Force I think is throwing the incentive that if you sign for 6 years, once you graduate Tech School you'll sew on Airman First Class. 2 stripes. Don't get suckered into this if you aren't sure you're going to want to stay for an extra 2 years. You get your first stripe at 6 months anyway. And regardless of whether you come in as an E3 or an E1 you'll all make E4 at the same time. So it's really just a way to make like an extra 100 a month about 6 months earlier. It's not an incentive at all if you ask me ahah. But I say definitely talk to a recruiter. Maybe even try the other branches as well and see what they have to offer. But please don't get suckered into the Army's 40K dollar sign on bonus or something stupid like that if it's not for you. Money makes people do stupid stuff. Take care.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Well we have been talking about hitching the knot since we have been dating for a while, thats why i said "come along for the ride" From what I remember my local Air Force recruiter didnt care in contacting me after I did show interest and wanted to sign, but couldnt due to the conditions above with my knee. The Navy recruiter really showed some class and told me no matter what branch I chose, he'd be happy. The Army and Marine recruiters were really pushy and even came to my house unannounced after i worked a 12 hr shift a night all week at work. I love the Air Force since my dad was in it for like 30 years. I still need to tie up some loose ends around here before I make the decision. I mean hell, if i cant into lab work i wouldnt mind tinkering on jet engines.

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 06:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
If you are considering getting married and joining the military, please do some research as to what it is like for the spouse of military personnel. Talk to some military wives, read up on the differences and what is expected of a military wife.

The life of a spouse of a GI is HUGELY different from the life of a spouse of a civilian. She will need to understand that the AF has the final say in what you do whether you or her like it or not. Military life for a spouse can be very, very challenging! Many people can’t handle it.

Just some friendly advice from someone that grew up in an AF family and has been employed by DoD for the last 25 years.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcline View Post
Well we have been talking about hitching the knot since we have been dating for a while, thats why i said "come along for the ride" From what I remember my local Air Force recruiter didnt care in contacting me after I did show interest and wanted to sign, but couldnt due to the conditions above with my knee. The Navy recruiter really showed some class and told me no matter what branch I chose, he'd be happy. The Army and Marine recruiters were really pushy and even came to my house unannounced after i worked a 12 hr shift a night all week at work. I love the Air Force since my dad was in it for like 30 years. I still need to tie up some loose ends around here before I make the decision. I mean hell, if i cant into lab work i wouldnt mind tinkering on jet engines.
This should tell you alot right there. Really.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to T-bird_fan
If you join, try to go overseas. You are young enough to enjoy it before kids start to get in the way.

Also ask if they are giving any signing bonus for certain jobs.

J-Mod, MMC D/S, 24k gvw Tranny Cooler, Mark VIII TC,13” KVR Frt brakes, FRPP 3.73 rear, PI cams & Intake plus P&P NPI heads with the cooling mod, 1 3/8" Rr swaybar.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 04:57 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-bird_fan View Post
If you join, try to go overseas. You are young enough to enjoy it before kids start to get in the way.

Also ask if they are giving any signing bonus for certain jobs.
I know Firefighters are getting $15000 until September, after that I don't know.

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:50 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Black_Cat
On the topic of the Air Force.... I was thinking I may join in the future through college ROTC, good idea??? I'd like some feedback if possible
It's Navy, Air Force, or Marines for me.... lol

2011 BMW X5 35i Premium Package
2009 BMW 535i ///M Sport Package
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

My friend did it that way. He's commissioned now at Wright Patt. it's been pretty busy for him but I can't even remember what he does now aha. Been a while since I've talked to him.

As for the spouse thing I would definitely agree. A few of my friends are on verge of divorce. I don't think alot of these wives realize they didnt really marry teh man the loved... they married the Military. What the Branch of service tells you to do that's the law no ifs ands or buts. So if you're wife has a baby while you're deployed... then you most likely won't be there to see it. my roommate right now got a DVD from his wife recently of his 3rd daughters first steps. He hasn't been home to see any of their first steps in person. I believe that if you marry someone who is pretty independent then she might do better with a military man. Just for the fact that she doesn't necessarily need him there all the time. But I'm not married or have a g/f. I do have a girl back home who's quite needy and she's all pissed off at me atm because I can't email her or talk to her on the phone. Glad I decided not to date her. The whining is starting to get on my nerves. Anyway I gotta try to fight this program to take time for my jobs. Have a great one.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by '95Cougar_XR-7 View Post
On the topic of the Air Force.... I was thinking I may join in the future through college ROTC, good idea??? I'd like some feedback if possible
It's Navy, Air Force, or Marines for me.... lol
Pretty Good deal, for the Navy, your degree has to be technical, meaning something that we can use, hot jobs right now, Engineering and Medical Corps. Look into it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in