HHO generator? WTF? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

HHO generator? WTF?

Has anyone else seen all the stuff floating around about some magic device you can make that makes your car run on water by converting it to hydrogen? I googled it and there is loads of stuff on it. Is this some stupid joke, or is there some truth to it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 08:07 PM
shaken, not stirred

No its not a joke. But you dont run on just hydrogen. You put a hydrogen generator, its about the size of a thermos, under your hood. you fill it with a baking soda mix and distilled water. It attatches to your battery and through electrolisis it makes a Hydrogen gas that you feed into your intake tube and it mixes with you air before your throttle body. In turn you will use less gasoline, because Hydrogen is very combustable, more so than gasoline. It burns cleaner and hotter. They say you can expect anywhere from a 15% to 30% increase in fuel milage. And it costs anywhere from $300-1500.

Its not really that new of a technology, people have been doing this for a good decade now. But they have greatly increased the safety and build quality of the generators.

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 08:51 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I saw one at the dyno shop, it was just in a glass jar, plastic lid. Not exactly rocket science the way it looked. I went back a few weeks later, and saw it sitting on the shelf, asked the tuner if he tried it. He said they hooked it up to his stock 5.0 'stang, and barley noticed a difference, not enough to validate the hassle.

Just what I heard

BLittle500

2008 Racing Shirts Are In!!!

1995 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (Race Car)
1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (2009 Race Car)
2003 Ford F-250 Superduty 5.4L (Daily Driver) FOR SALE
2004 Honda CBR600RR uhhh 0.6L (Sh!ts & Giggles)

1995 LX Dirt Oval Race Car
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 09:33 PM
shaken, not stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLittle500 View Post
I saw one at the dyno shop, it was just in a glass jar, plastic lid. Not exactly rocket science the way it looked. I went back a few weeks later, and saw it sitting on the shelf, asked the tuner if he tried it. He said they hooked it up to his stock 5.0 'stang, and barley noticed a difference, not enough to validate the hassle.

Just what I heard
Well they may have been just toying around with it.
Try this link http://www.hydrogen-boost.com/

Also what does he mean by 'barely noticed" because you could gain 2mpg and not notice anything. But over a year you would notice in your bank account. And the generators I speak of are made of stainless steel.

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:37 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
Well in the video that was on the site he used a saturn, aka 1.9l 4 cyl. If you were going to do it for a v8, wouldnt you need twice as much hydrogen since the engine would be using twice, if not more than 2x the air needed for it to run?

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:49 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
I remember reading an article in one of my dad's "Popular Mechanics" or "Popular Science" magazines in the late70s/early 80s about this guy who converted his station wagon to run on hydrogen. He would hold a glass under the downspout of his sidepipes (Yes!! Sidepipes on a wagon!) and it would dribble water into the cup. He even drank it to prove it was water.....
Even seen this on TV recently, like within the last year. Some guy did the same thing to his modern car.

I imagine these two guys and a whole bunch of other innovative people who tinkered with "ultimate fuel economy" successfully are now playing Hide and Seek with Jimmy Hoffa, 'cause where are they now? Huh? Why isn't the rest of the world benefiting from their work? You know why.

Delete my account.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

the systems are too small to make any real impact. In order to make enough hydrogen, it would have to take up your whole trunk and have it's own alternator.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
the systems are too small to make any real impact. In order to make enough hydrogen, it would have to take up your whole trunk and have it's own alternator.
my dad has his hho thing on our geo tracker and he sees a 5mpg difference(+) so it works for us but no one belives me
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

thats what, a 1.5? 1.6L? make the system six times bigger for three times the gas, for a smaller gain in a t-bird...

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
It is nothing new and has been around for decades.

I have seriously been thinking of toying around with that for my Aspire. The question I have is does the EEC have to be retuned or does it just lean out the gasoline by way of the O2 sensor? I haven’t been able to get a warm and fuzzy answer.

Keep in mind my Aspire has a 1.3L, so it would be a perfect candidate. Even a 10% increase in fuel economy would be a 4 mpg gain.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I have the Water4Gas ebooks.

\,,/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in