Congress considers reinstating national 55mph speed limit - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
shaken, not stirred

Congress considers reinstating national 55mph speed limit

Full Story -> http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...7383461669.txt

Quote:
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- An influential Republican senator suggested Thursday that Congress might want to consider reimposing a national speed limit to save gasoline and possibly ease fuel prices. | Find the best gas prices in Central Illinois

Sen. John Warner, R-Va., asked Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman to look into what speed limit would provide optimum gasoline efficiency given current technology. He said he wants to know if the administration might support efforts in Congress to require a lower speed limit.

Congress in 1974 set a national 55 mph speed limit because of energy shortages caused by the Arab oil embargo. The speed limit was repealed in 1995 when crude oil dipped to $17 a barrel and gasoline cost $1.10 a gallon.

As motorists headed on trips for this Fourth of July weekend, gasoline averaged $4.10 a gallon nationwide with oil hovering around $145 a barrel.

Warner cited studies that showed the 55 mph speed limit saved 167,000 barrels of oil a day, or 2 percent of the country’s highway fuel consumption, while avoiding up to 4,000 traffic deaths a year.

“Given the significant increase in the number of vehicles on America’s highway system from 1974 to 2008, one could assume that the amount of fuel that could be conserved today is far greater,” Warner wrote Bodman.

Warner asked the department to determine at what speeds vehicles would be most fuel efficient, how much fuel savings would be achieved, and whether it would be reasonable to assume there would be a reduction in prices at the pump if the speed limit were lowered.

Energy Department spokeswoman Angela Hill said the department will review Warner’s letter but added, “If Congress is serious about addressing gasoline prices, they must take action on expanding domestic oil and natural gas production.”

The department’s Web site says that fuel efficiency decreases rapidly when traveling faster than 60 mph. Every additional 5 mph over that threshold is estimated to cost motorists “essentially an additional 30 cents per gallon in fuel costs,” Warner said in his letter, citing the DOE data

This isnt the 1970s. And it doesnt take into account that it will take longer to get everywhere, in turn the engines will be running longer. Arrgggg!!!!!

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
well it seems congress thinks that cars are exactly the same in every way as since the last time they did this. in the words of sammy hagar..."i cant drive 55"

-Matt
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 12:45 AM
3rd Gear Poster

I got my drivers license in 1973 I can remember when the 55 limit was first started. It lead to the CB radio craze as a way to beat the system. But enough of that stuff. The things that should be considered are 1) What mileage do you get at 75MPH? 2) What mileage do you get at 55MPH? 3) What mileage do you get driving in the city? I'll bet that your city mileage is a lot worse than what you get at 75MPH. If you are like most of the population of the U.S. you live in the city. So, if most driving is done in the city and worse mileage is in city driving maybe we should be looking at improving the efficiency of city driving. This can be done in many ways such as syncronizing stop lights on major roads, turning two-way streets into one-way during rush hours. The list for improvements is almost endless. This is the area we should be working in if we really want to save gas. I don't want to get into a political rant here but this is why we need new blood in the offices with new ideas, not the old farts that only think in the past.

Rick
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Hittin' Switches

Send a message via AIM to musto
i say do it, i think it would be good. no one needs to drive that fast anyway.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:51 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Might be worth considering, really.

True, our autos have changed quite a bit since the 55 limit was first mandated, but there is one thing about them that hasn't. Internal combustion engines. (Hybrids and all-electric cars aside.) There is a limit to how fuel efficient an internal combustion engine can get.....we're very close to that now.

I for one think that our (as a society in general) driving habits have only gotten worse in the last 10 years. Everybody seems to have developed this "Me First" complex on the road. Here's a few examples, using the abbreviation M.F. for these people; It stands for a "Me First" person, but feel free to interpret those initials for a much more common and fitting term

M.F. will pull out in front of you instead of waiting for you to go by even if there's no traffic behind you to wait for also. Now, they have to completely floor it to get up to speed before you can hit them, and you have to brake to keep from hitting them.

M.F. will drive 6 feet off your rear bumper regardless if the speed limit is 25 or 65.

M.F. won't drive the speed limit no matter what it is. 25? They need 35. 65? They need 80 to get where they're going.

M.F. will pull out and pass you at at least 20 mph faster than the posted limit, only to cut in front of you and then maintain a sensible speed. Or not....

M.F. will pull out and pass you at at least 20 mph faster than the posted limit, only to cut in front of you so they can take that turnoff coming up in about 500 feet.

Nevermind that a large percentage of these M.F. people are using a cell phone all the while. Different topic, but it lends to that self-important "Me First" attitude.

I joke all the time about sending a resume to my county's Sheriff's Dept. and see if they would hire me. Here's my plan for that.
Give me the mounted radar package, a badge, the flashlight, and the radio.
Let me use my own insured vehicle that isn't a late model Impala or Crown Vic, nor does it look like them.
Give me the hidden flashing red n blues with siren package.
And finally, a duffle bag full of citation booklets and large package of ballpoint pens.
I ask not to be "on the clock", nor will I even ask for any kind of regular salary, or special police benefits. I get paid commission from every Moving Violation ticket I write that wins either through a court hearing or a simple fine forfeiture.
I would simply drive around. And I'd be extremely busy. The revenue generated would benefit the Dept. like never before. I'd be able to quit my full-time job after one month.
Maybe I should put all joking aside and seriously, get that proposal in.

In my daily commute to work and back Monday through Friday, (about a 30 mile round trip) I see at least 5, and I mean at the least five Moving Violations. People doing ridiculous and illegal driving habits. Every day. That's at least 25 tickets a week, over the same 15 mile stretch of road. Figure about $150 average per ticket, just for throwing an average number out there.......$3,750 a week in fine forfeitures. About $15,000 a month. If I get 20%......isn't that like $3,000 a month for me? $12,000 a month for the Dept. They'd love it. And that's 30 miles a day for me....what could I get after quitting my regular job and making those hot laps over a 6 or 8 hour day?

Gawd, what if I did this deal with Dane County and ran the Beltline in Madison all day long back and forth?

Long story short, and sorry I digressed a bit, or a lot.....The "Me First" people aren't going to abide by trivial things (to them) such as Speed Limit postings, no matter what they are posted at. They can't even get the Stop Sign thing right! And there are simply not enough law enforcement patrols to be in all the places they may be needed. Impalas and Crown Vics can be spotted a long ways away even at night regardless of whether there are of Government Vehicle or Civilian Vehicle status.

As for imposing a national speed limit to conserve fuel, I think (and could be wrong though) our cars today should get they're best highway fuel mileage at right around 55-65mph, on average. I do know my Super Hoopty will pull down about 40 mpg highway if I maintain a steady 60mph over the course of, well....highway distances. City's not bad, either as I don't romp on it much, ease in through the gears, and don't drive around town in just First, Second, and Third..... Gotta love that stickshift, and I haven't seen another Corsica with a 5 speed.
My Bird definitely needs to have some of that action.

Delete my account.

Last edited by 94 Thunderbird XX; 07-06-2008 at 01:58 AM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 AM
PostWhore

Hooray for the nanny state! It's a good thing Big Brother is looking out for my mpgs, otherwise I don't know what I would do!

I'm Mister_T and I approve this message.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

One thing I've noticed is that around here (Cincinnati area) that I-75, I-71, I-275 is a lot crazier since the speed limit was raised, especially the big rigs. I wouldn't mind it being lowered once again. Then they need to enforce it.

\,,/
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 09:56 AM
PostWhore

Back in the 70's when for the most part, all cars where shaped more or less the same and got better mileage around 55 it's one thing... but cars are no longer all shaped the same or get the best milage at the same speed. My truck gets the best mileage between 55 and 65. My car has gotten it's best milage @ 70+.

'95 Cougar - 2002 Explorer engine, 2004 Mustang PTP2 PCM

Best times:
PI 4.6L 95 XR7 Cougar: [email protected]
2004.5 Silverado Crew Cab/Long Bed/4x4 6.6L Duramax: [email protected] (Weighing in at over 7200#) on 10/19/2007
Dyno - 446.4RWHP/820.2RWTq on 6/13/2008
Pulling - 300.9' 3rd place finish 8/2011
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Voice/Data Guru

My car has gotten it's best milage @ 70+.

+ 1

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 12:56 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to shaggy433 Send a message via MSN to shaggy433 Send a message via Yahoo to shaggy433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
My car has gotten it's best milage @ 70+.

+ 1
+1 more...

in the city i get about 20mpg on the highway cruise set at 84 24-26mpg

94 XR7 One of 71,026
Magnaflow Cats, Magnaflow DI/DO 2 1/4"true duals with 3 1/2" stainless tips...reverse glow gauges, 7 color a-pillar gauges, 20% tint, JVC HD deck, 10" Kicker square, 400rms mono Kicker amp.
And it can be seen here
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Poster

First, I can't recall ever being denied the opportunity to purchase gasoline as people were in the 70's.

Secondly, the US is using less oil than before, yet prices at the pump continue to soar.

Assuming that a 55 mph speed limit DOES save gas, I still think we will not see any lower prices at the pump.

A friend at work and I were talking about this a few weeks ago.

I drive fewer miles now than I did before. He drives fewer miles. Our friends and families drive fewer miles. Many people we know and ourselves have traded off our vehicles (trucks) for more fuel efficient cars. Many people I know now carpool. I read in the news about things people do, some of them extreme, to save gas. The list is endless...

We concluded that people have changed their lifestyles enough to save fuel.

Then a day or 2 later we hear on the radio about how much less oil the US has used this past year, in BILLIONS of barrels of oil.

So why do the prices at the pump continue to increase? And why should I believe that any fuel savings from a 55 mph speed limit would actually help?.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
Back in the 70's when for the most part, all cars where shaped more or less the same and got better mileage around 55 it's one thing... but cars are no longer all shaped the same or get the best milage at the same speed. My truck gets the best mileage between 55 and 65. My car has gotten it's best milage @ 70+.
I know that feeling. I always compared driving my 84 Vic to "pushing a brick through the wind", lol... I could do ok at 65, anything above that it got worse mileage. And heaven forbid I run into a headwind

Now our 03 Vic on the otherhand seems to get it's best mileage around 70 as well. It's still a large/heavy car, but the aero is better than the old box bodies. I can squeeze a little more than 400 miles on a full tank, with mixed city/highway driving and my wife uses the A/C occasionally.

At least when I'm in the 03, it stops a lot of the "M.F." people from doing dumb stuff. Not always, but it sure makes them stop and think

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:29 PM
PostWhore

IMHO - If they actually enforce the 70MPH thats already there it would do a lot. I drive around 80 on the highway and get passed all the time like I was standing still.

The reason your city gas mileage sucks is the converter locking and unlocking all the time. I did a hardcore city tune where I forced the auto to act like a manual and lock the converter every chance possible and no downshifts unless 40% of throttle was reached. My city mileage went way up and very close to the highway mileage. However the car bucked like a stick shift so soccer mom ain't gonna like that.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 08:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmckinney View Post
IMHO - If they actually enforce the 70MPH thats already there it would do a lot. I drive around 80 on the highway and get passed all the time like I was standing still.

The reason your city gas mileage sucks is the converter locking and unlocking all the time. I did a hardcore city tune where I forced the auto to act like a manual and lock the converter every chance possible and no downshifts unless 40% of throttle was reached. My city mileage went way up and very close to the highway mileage. However the car bucked like a stick shift so soccer mom ain't gonna like that.
the guy who did the last tune on my car made it shift like that. total mileage on 96/595 to NSU and back for the week was at 26.5mpg

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 11:54 PM
PostWhore

I already drive 55 in the ZX2 S/R.

Econodriving (Not quite hypermiling, but the same thing)...... I'm getting 40+mpg.

Will it help anything if everyone else did too? Probably not much.

I'll get good gas mileage and save money while they burn theirs away.

If safety is a concern, start writing tickets for anyone using a cell phone in the car. Vehicles are plenty safe at 70, 80, hell, I can even see 90 if the drivers are paying attention.