Be careful who approaches you on the street - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Be careful who approaches you on the street

Awareness of one's surroundings might have helped save both persons in this situation...
The July 15th entry into this blog:
http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/
People always ask me why I own firearms and train myself in the use of those firearms for defense-this is why.
This is becoming more and more commonplace in today's world,and it's not isolated to the large metro areas anymore.
Warning-the video confession the blog's page is full of profanity-be careful at work or around little people.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly

Last edited by Johnny Langton; 07-16-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Same here bud, That is why i have a permit to carry my 45.

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
i just picked up my Ruger LCP last week. Its carried in a concealed Galco everywhere i go except those establishments in which it is strictly prohibited.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
i just picked up my Ruger LCP last week. Its carried in a concealed Galco everywhere i go except those establishments in which it is strictly prohibited.
I think my wife and I are both gonna get one of those-I like them much better than the Kel-tec's that they resemble.
JL

Fuelly
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Langton View Post
I think my wife and I are both gonna get one of those-I like them much better than the Kel-tec's that they resemble.
JL
I pack Speer Gold Dot 90gr rounds. Apparently, the mag lip extension for the kel tec mags fits the ruger mags, Ill found out when it shows up soon. I have a Desantis SuperFly pocket holster and a Galco Stow N' Go that I usually carry it in.

Also, Crimson Trace's new laser is coming out for it soon.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
I pack Speer Gold Dot 90gr rounds. Apparently, the mag lip extension for the kel tec mags fits the ruger mags, Ill found out when it shows up soon. I have a Desantis SuperFly pocket holster and a Galco Stow N' Go that I usually carry it in.

Also, Crimson Trace's new laser is coming out for it soon.
I looked over that CT laser,and it takes away grip area from the front of the gun-and there's a limited amount of space now as it is..I'm not willing to give it up for a laser-pocket concealment is the whole point I'm getting it.
There's a load of Ruger info here:
www.rugerforum.net
JL

Fuelly
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
I looked over that CT laser,and it takes away grip area from the front of the gun-and there's a limited amount of space now as it is..I'm not willing to give it up for a laser-pocket concealment is the whole point I'm getting it.
There's a load of Ruger info here:
www.rugerforum.net
JL

if i find someone local who gets it in, im going to test fit it, im kinda on the fence about it, though.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I don't mean to make light of what happened, or the sociopath that the criminal appears to be, but I couldn't understand 85% of what he said in that "confession". Every other semi-sentence is "You know what i'm sayin". It was like I was listening to a person who spoke a different language, and the only phrases I was able to understand were the ones that I had heard on TV before.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

As the comedian Ron White said "Texas has an express lane for death row" these two scumbags need to be put to death.

1995 LX 4.6 Stock for now.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

I don't see how asking for a cigarette is going to have any bearing on what the criminal decides to do...

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 05:09 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I'm down with owning a fire arm to protect yourself, who else do you expect to do it for you? The police? The government? Who? It really should just be you. If someone makes you feel threatened for your life then you'll know how to handle it when properly trained with your fire arm. I don't own one yet but I will when I can afford it, they aren't cheap.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
I don't see how asking for a cigarette is going to have any bearing on what the criminal decides to do...
Matt,it's no the cig that's the issue,or if somebody wants a cig...that situation was no good when the thugs got close enough for a conversation.The victims in that situation should have been more observant and prepared to defend themselves.
The point here,is to arm yourself-prepare to use it if necessary,and know how to see a threat before it becomes a physical threat,and to key in on the thug's and their "baiting" tactics. You have to make yourself a non-desirable target for the thugs,or you are more likely to become a statistic.
JL

Fuelly
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
I don't own one yet but I will when I can afford it, they aren't cheap.
There are affordable handguns out there that are reliable-you live close to one of the premier makers of such guns-Ruger's semi-auto handgun division is in Prescott,AZ.
If you're looking for a deal or info on a particular one-let me know-I've got tons of literature here on several makes and models.
JL

Fuelly
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 06:09 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
There are affordable handguns out there that are reliable-you live close to one of the premier makers of such guns-Ruger's semi-auto handgun division is in Prescott,AZ.
If you're looking for a deal or info on a particular one-let me know-I've got tons of literature here on several makes and models.
JL
hehe don't tempt me. I've shot m16s many times and I know it takes a little while to know how to properly use, clean, and store a hand gun. I'm a decent shot with a rifle, I'm sure I'm terrible with a hand gun. I will take you up on that when I have the cash flow and the consent of my house mates. I'm currently waiting for hernia surgery so, one thing at a time. I'm all for it really. I think its fun to go to a range and see how accurate I am. I've only done that with rifles though. Don't forget the holster, cleaning tools, ammo, magazine when considering cost. Awesome idea though, I didn't know a maker of hand guns was in AZ. I'd like to work for them, awesome trade skills to be had learning about fire arms. There is always a market for that.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Veteran Poster

Trash like that needs to be taken out back and beaten, tortured, and hung.

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
hehe don't tempt me. I've shot m16s many times and I know it takes a little while to know how to properly use, clean, and store a hand gun. I'm a decent shot with a rifle, I'm sure I'm terrible with a hand gun. I will take you up on that when I have the cash flow and the consent of my house mates. I'm currently waiting for hernia surgery so, one thing at a time. I'm all for it really. I think its fun to go to a range and see how accurate I am. I've only done that with rifles though. Don't forget the holster, cleaning tools, ammo, magazine when considering cost. Awesome idea though, I didn't know a maker of hand guns was in AZ. I'd like to work for them, awesome trade skills to be had learning about fire arms. There is always a market for that.
ok. Rugers new LCP made in Prescott:

Firearm: $319
Speer 90gr HP: $20
Galco stow n go: $30
Cleaning kit: $12

Those prices are for a subcompact. My Springfield 1911 cost me $790, loaded AR-15 $1200, not including accessories. Just walk into a gun shop and take a look around. a CCW permit in florida costs 35$ for prints, 75$ for the application, and 50$ for the class.From that, I do not have to wait on a purchase, just fill out the background check, have the dealer call in my permit number, pay, and go.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to loudpipessavelives
After watching the long haired dude, it makes me want to return the favor to him, and I think that is the only circumstance in life in which I would be able to do such a horrible act....Stop wasting time on trials and money on lawyers and peoples time, and don't use any taxes payers money to keep that rat warm or nourish his body....Since he admitted to the crime, I say do things his way....."Bust a cap in his dome"

Quote:
Matt,it's no the cig that's the issue,or if somebody wants a cig...that situation was no good when the thugs got close enough for a conversation.The victims in that situation should have been more observant and prepared to defend themselves.
The point here,is to arm yourself-prepare to use it if necessary,and know how to see a threat before it becomes a physical threat,and to key in on the thug's and their "baiting" tactics. You have to make yourself a non-desirable target for the thugs,or you are more likely to become a statistic.
JL
I can agree to not making yourself a target, My own personal beliefs is you have to adapt and try to fit in to the environment...I live near Youngstown Ohio which 3 years in a row from like 2001-2004 or sometimg around there it was murder capital of the country for a city its size. I spend much time there for work and recreation, school.....you definatley have to be on the lookout.

93 Bird/ Trick Flow 5.0-- awaiting some fresh paint
99 Marquis on 20's (daily)
01 Mustang Cobra with bolt on's-- 22k miles, might be for sale soon

http://www.cardomain.com/id/CDogg93
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:41 AM

Baretta m-9 0r for civvies 92fs
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to Last Mrk Send a message via Skype™ to Last Mrk
Gun in the house.

The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

As John Steinbeck once said:

1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 AM
Birdless

Send a message via AIM to Grasshopper Send a message via Yahoo to Grasshopper
JL (or others),

Can you explain here for us (read: me) how someone would go about finding an inexpensive but efficient handgun (types of places to shop, what to look for, etc.)

and...

then the right way to go about learning how to use it properly (again, types of places/ranges to go: types of people to learn from)?

thx

A man may smile and bid you hail
Yet wish you to the devil;
But when a good dog wags his tail,
You know he's on the level.
--author unknown
post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
JL (or others),

Can you explain here for us (read: me) how someone would go about finding an inexpensive but efficient handgun (types of places to shop, what to look for, etc.)

and...

then the right way to go about learning how to use it properly (again, types of places/ranges to go: types of people to learn from)?

thx
As for a handgun for protection-the most important thing is reliability. No customs guns with tacti-cool parts,none of that BS. It absolutely has to be able to feed the ammo you load it with,because without it,and handgun makes a pretty wimpy club.
then,you must be able to shoot it accurately,and this has alot to do with the way it fits your hand. If you can't get a proper rip on it,and can't hit the target-it's more dangerous to you than the "bad guy".
Revolvers are typically very reliable,and proven defensive weapons. You don't need to go get a monster "Dirty Harry" revolver to be effective,the tried and true .38 special that was carried for years by the PD works just fine. If you get a .357 Magnum revolver,you can train and practice with lighter recoiling and less expensive 38 special ammo,and get good defensive ammo in .357 for personal protection. The only problem I have with a revolver is the limited capacity-5-6 rounds is typically all you get in a compact concealable revolver.
Semi autos are more picky about ammo,but there's a greater number of them out there,and they are less expensive-simple supply/demand at work. .380 is the minimum caliber for self defense,IMO-9mm would be better. 9mm is a very common caliber-ammo is plentiful and cheap compared to everything else,and there are literally dozens of reliable,inexpensive compact handguns in 9mm for less than $400. I like a semi-auto better in some cases-mostly because of magazine capacity-pretty much all of the compact 9mm handguns out there have a 10+ round capacity.
For training-find a local gun range/gun shop and ask around for NRA certified training,or self-defense training that emphasizes personal defense,and not competition shooting. There's tons of info available here:
www.thehighroad.org
JL

Fuelly
post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

Splattered:
Just got this in my weekly email from J&G sales:
Quote:
GUN SHOW NOTICE FOR ARIZONA !!

This weekend July 19 and 20 in Phoenix Arizona is a large Crossroads of the West gunshow and we will have several tables will all types of rifle including AK and RPK rifles, Galils, K31's, Yugo SKS and Mauser rifles, some AR-15 rifles at only $599.95, Tantals, Steyrs, PSL 54s, and Mosin Nagants as well. There are also many handguns like FEG PA63s, Nagant Revolvers, Glock 22 and 32 police trade pistols, Polish P64s, CZ-82s and Skorpions. All our regular ammo deals will be available too. Stop by and say hello, or if you can't make it to the show, see the same items at http://www.jgsales.com
Make time to go out and handle some guns and speak with the guys from J&G-they're a reputable company that does alot of business in police trade-in and surplus arms,and their customer service is great.
JL

Fuelly
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to bad93bird
I think of rifles as a long range weapon. Pistols are for short range. I agree that they are expensive. I don't use a pistol for home defense. I use a short barrel shot gun with no shoulder stock. It will get the job done. Can't miss with it either. If pistols were under $200 then I may own one. Yes it probably won't be as reliable as one that costs $400. If it is taken care of then it might last. No weapon will last indeffinitly. They have parts that do wear out.
NOW on a dfferent note. Those 2 losers need to be taken outside with out a gun and put in the same exact senario. Then shot to death just like they did to those 2 lawful men. I say screw the courts on this one. If I was the cop the pulled them over for the traffic violation, I would of saved the tax payers alot of money.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:35 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad93bird View Post
I think of rifles as a long range weapon. Pistols are for short range. I agree that they are expensive. I don't use a pistol for home defense. I use a short barrel shot gun with no shoulder stock. It will get the job done. Can't miss with it either. If pistols were under $200 then I may own one. Yes it probably won't be as reliable as one that costs $400. If it is taken care of then it might last. No weapon will last indeffinitly. They have parts that do wear out.
NOW on a dfferent note. Those 2 losers need to be taken outside with out a gun and put in the same exact senario. Then shot to death just like they did to those 2 lawful men. I say screw the courts on this one. If I was the cop the pulled them over for the traffic violation, I would of saved the tax payers alot of money.
I have many guns.....and price does not always mean that its going to shoot better.
Lets take 2 guns I have for example.
1st- S&W sw40ve, automatic holds 10 rounds, .40 caliber.
~the gun shoots like shat, always jambs up, harldy reliable.
~cost new- was $350 when I bought it.

2nd- High Point 9mm, automatic holds 8 rounds.
~the gun shoots well, has never jambed up, pretty reliable.
~cost new- was $115 when I bought it.

Now, these are not the only 2 pistols I have, just two to get my point accross.

which would you rather carry?

Neither....but if its all you had, I would go with the second one.

But what I do carry???
Sig 229 SAS .40, or a Browning BDA in .380.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I would carry what I can afford. If it is a P.O.S. Then I would get rid of it. I've had many hunting rifles that were junk. Soooooo........ I got rid of them. Got something else I wanted or upgraded what I had. Now I use my shotguns more than anything. I like them. One of them has a problem with the pin in the trigger assembly falling out all the time. I just live with it cause I like it. I'm sure there is a way to fix it. I just don't have time to do it. I really don't know alot about pistols. I may get one soon cause of all the travel I do. I know I won't spend an arm and a leg on it. My wife can use my shorty shot gun so I have no worries at home.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 AM
PostSlut

Just got to a gun show next time they are close to you.....you can find great deals on pistols at the shows.

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 08:57 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Really? Then I'll have to go to some. I just want something that will stop someone. I don't care if they die or not. If I get screwed with I just want to put some lead into them. Make them hurt. Then they will think about it next time.

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 AM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad93bird View Post
Really? Then I'll have to go to some. I just want something that will stop someone. I don't care if they die or not. If I get screwed with I just want to put some lead into them. Make them hurt. Then they will think about it next time.
better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

true!

QUADSQUAD MEMBER
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 09:49 AM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
Quote:
People always ask me why I own firearms...
you texas boys and your guns. the wild west days are over!!

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in