It's depressing to think that I might have to get rid of my bird... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Koole Send a message via MSN to Koole
It's depressing to think that I might have to get rid of my bird...

...and I haven't even drove it yet. This T-Bird has been in my family since I was 12 and my mom drove it so I know it hasn't been ragged. Engine and tranny are in great condition with only 175k or so on dash. Everything is great on it except the brakes. They have been a problem from the start and being mushy back when we had ABS on them. We converted it from ABS, and tried many options but it seems my step-dad is about to throw in the towel. We can't get the brakes hard enough to the point where he thinks a 17 year old can drive it. I know it's better to be safe than sorry, but I don't wanna get rid of my T-bird.

I get my regular license in September when I turn 18 and they said if this one doesn't work out we can sell my bird and get me another car, I told them I wanted an SC but they won't budge lol. I'll end up getting a Mark VIII if anything. I'm just thankful they would get me another car. I figure they think it's messed up to give me a car when I'm younger, then take it away from me before I can drive it.

Oh yeah, thanks for sitting through my story, it wasn't meant to be that long.

1992 Thunderbird Sport
Cats/Mufflers Delete
Air Silencer Remove
Loud and Slow

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 10:30 AM
PostWhore

Cool

When I turned sixteen and got my driving lic., I got my mom's car too. A '66 Chevy II Nova. It was a six banger, but it only had about 35,000 miles on it (this was in '77), and god it was so nice. Dark blue with a light blue interior. I painted the rims silver, put a silver racing stripe down the side with red pin striping, put a set of Camero bucket seats in it, you know what I mean. Then six months later I get rear ended sitting at a traffic light. Both quarter panels buckle and bow out and the bumper and trunk get pushed in about two feet. Not to mention I got pushed out into the intersection into traffic and nearly was hit. So, all that can happen may not be your fault. This isn't related, but, I thought I was an out standing driver when I was young. looking back now, I realize I had a lot to learn. I can understand your Dads concern. Be happy that he is. ABS are a completely different animal than conventional brakes, and do feel "mushy" under hard braking. But I don't know the history and such. I wish you luck and please be carefull in what ever you do get to drive. Remember to drive defensively, because too many people are pre-occupied and don't look where they are going. Take care!!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 11:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
When you have to sell something like this to make a house payment:

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/303536...stanglarge.JPG

let me know.

When I turned 16 I got..... the opportunity to ask to borrow the family car.

At your age, I wouldn't worry about what you're driving as long as it is reliable and safe. Just my opinion, but I think I would still try to get the brakes working properly since you know the condition of the car. It really shouldn't be that hard if you swap out the ABS for conventional.

But good luck!!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 01:44 PM
PostWhore

Have you tried different lengths on the pushrod going into the booster? That might cause a problem.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Thanks for the comment, Uncaged.

Yeah Mazza we did. My step-dad has been working on cars probably 90% of his life so he knows what he's doing. I'm just here trying to learn as much as I can. We're basically using trial & error right now but I think he's had enough of the car considering he was going to sell it before he gave it to me anyways. :p

We're putting brake pads on it this weekend and hopefully it'll work. If not, I'll let you guys know...Because it is in great condition for a '92.

1992 Thunderbird Sport
Cats/Mufflers Delete
Air Silencer Remove
Loud and Slow

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 03:53 PM
PostSlut

no offense to your dad but have yall taken it to get checked out at a reputiable shop?
Or, maybe go in the Florida forum, and ask if there is someone close by, that may really know the brake system, that could lend a hand.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 04:12 PM
6th Gear Poster

If I was you Id definitly try and keep the car. Ive had my tbird since I was 16 and fell in love with the car. Im 21 now and I dont think Ill ever let her go.

'97 Lincoln Mark Viii LSC - Stock
'93 Ford Thunderbird - Splitport & M5r2
'64 Chevrolet Impala SS - Stock
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-21-2008, 08:26 PM
5th Gear Poster

are you sure theres no leaks in the brake lines also have they been bled properly
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Yup. I haven't gave up on it yet, I read around and Sloth PM'd me a thread where he put a crown vic master cylinder in it. I have a 03 f-150 in mine right now with a '91 non ABS Thunderbird brake booster (IIRC)

But yeah, we've bled the lines about 10 times, with four different master cylinders.

1992 Thunderbird Sport
Cats/Mufflers Delete
Air Silencer Remove
Loud and Slow

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:10 AM
PostSlut

did you bench bleed the master cylinder correct?

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:43 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koole View Post
Yup. I haven't gave up on it yet, I read around and Sloth PM'd me a thread where he put a crown vic master cylinder in it. I have a 03 f-150 in mine right now with a '91 non ABS Thunderbird brake booster (IIRC)

But yeah, we've bled the lines about 10 times, with four different master cylinders.
03 F150 Master cylinder bore diameter: 1.067" or 1.125" or 1.25" depending on the application.

92 T'bird Master cylinder (non-ABS) bore diameter: 1"

There's a lot more to a brake system than bolting on parts that fit.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 07:46 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
yeah just because it came from another ford product doesnt mean its gonna fit. You really need to get one from another MN12

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Like I said before, I'm not 100% sure it's a non abs T-bird brake booster. I'll have to ask, although I don't know what else it could be. A 5.0 Mustang maybe

1992 Thunderbird Sport
Cats/Mufflers Delete
Air Silencer Remove
Loud and Slow

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:50 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Like I said before, I'm not 100% sure it's a non abs T-bird brake booster. I'll have to ask, although I don't know what else it could be. A 5.0 Mustang maybe
Maybe you could TRY one designed to fit a 92 bird, non abs.... Or maybe one for a 49 chebby dump truck!!!

1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 AOD. My toy
1997 F-250 HD Extended cab, long bed, 5.8L, E4OD.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:04 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
I would look into getting the proper cylinder, if that doesn't help maybe the rubber brake lines are worn and aren't giving you proper pressure.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

When I did my 1988, I got a 1988 booster and a 1988 master cylinder. I then looked at the lines on a non abs car in the junkyard so I would know how the lines ran. It was not obvious since it had 3 outlets.

Mine was a bit squishy. Stopped fine but would not lock up. But I was satisfied. I was told that I should have switched the proportioning valve as well.

And as a side note the setup was weird. One outlet went to the drivers front, another to the proportioning valve for the passenger front and yet another to the proportioning vlave for the rear. Why they had one going to the front drivers side I will never know. But again, it worked.

And that reminds me. The rear rubber line was clogged and made for a big time dipping front-end stop until I replaced it.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite93 View Post
Maybe you could TRY one designed to fit a 92 bird, non abs.... Or maybe one for a 49 chebby dump truck!!!
They don't move enough fluid...Which is weird. ;[

I found this deal on craigslist, and I want it.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/car/760327414.html

1992 Thunderbird Sport
Cats/Mufflers Delete
Air Silencer Remove
Loud and Slow

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 09:26 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
They don't move enough fluid...Which is weird. ;[

I found this deal on craigslist, and I want it.

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/car/760327414.html

A master cylinder designed for a 92 won't move enough fluid????? If not it has the wrong wheel cylinders, calipers, or has a flex hose doing something weird..

or your junk yard special is worn out...

Or something is WAAAAAY out of adjustment...

You can not put what ever you find laying around on a car and expect it to work... ALL of the parts HAVE to match....

1993 Thunderbird LX 3.8 AOD. My toy
1997 F-250 HD Extended cab, long bed, 5.8L, E4OD.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
idk about abs but on my 97 lx i was driving some ricers cut me off i got on my brakes as hard as i can and i got them to lock up tight but thank god i didnt hit him it was hard enough to get a rear bumper.

but uncaged 94 ive felt your pain i had just gotten my tbird was going to the fabulous ford show in california at knotts berry farm when i was making a right turn to pull over into a neighborhood to read directions some guy on a motorcycle was flying behind me never saw him. he squealed hsi breaks skiddin for 66ft hit my car cracked my bumper on my bird all the way through and cracked the 2 tail light peices on the driver side. stil hasnt been repaied yet still waiting on insurance companies. cuz they think this guy had no insurance when he hit me.

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in