Didnt know recuiters would stoop this low - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
Didnt know recuiters would stoop this low

So anyways I found a note on my door for my sister that looked like one of those slips from DHL or USPS if they missed a delivery, even had a barcode on it. It even said on it that they missed a delivery and to call this number to reschedule. On the top, where the company should be, it says USN, which i can only fathom means the Navy.

Seriously, She has told them that she wants nothing to do with them, but they keep hounding her about it, and it looks now even to the point of trickery. Me and her both scored really high on our ASVAB's (me a 97, her a 98 or 99) I dunno whats going on.

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:52 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to joshbea6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcline View Post
So anyways I found a note on my door for my sister that looked like one of those slips from DHL or USPS if they missed a delivery, even had a barcode on it. It even said on it that they missed a delivery and to call this number to reschedule. On the top, where the company should be, it says USN, which i can only fathom means the Navy.

Seriously, She has told them that she wants nothing to do with them, but they keep hounding her about it, and it looks now even to the point of trickery. Me and her both scored really high on our ASVAB's (me a 97, her a 98 or 99) I dunno whats going on.
They need people....that's what's going on. Just like some companies send out things to you that look like a bill for their service...you need to read the fine print to see that it's just a tricky way to get your money!

1997 LX Sport 4.6L 2.73 , MODS=SCT tuned/J-Mod/Trans Cooler/Dyno max Cat-Back/NgkPlugs/Mac cold air/March UD's/FRPP aluminumcarrier3.73's(spare for strip use)/ PI cams + PI intake manifold w/adapter plate/ Mark VIII Convertor/80mm L-Maf/70mm TB/ Mark VIII 1 piece shaft/Cobra R' wheels/ Kumhos 235/60/16 - White leather w/ blue cloth seats - white face gauges in 95 cluster
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:34 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshbea6 View Post
They need people....that's what's going on.
Just like some companies send out things to you that look like a bill for their service...
you need to read the fine print to see that it's just a tricky way to get your money!
Another fine example of how OUR government is acting like a Godless corporation.

Reminds me of the line from The Silence of the Lambs ...
Hannibal Lecter: No! He covets. That is his nature. And how do we begin to covet, Clarice?
... We begin by coveting what we see every day.

Our government sees/interacts with corporations every day.
post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:

I’m just wondering why you are singling out the military, when we all get hundreds of letters each year that are camouflaged as tax refund checks, SSI checks, bills, etc. and they are nothing but advertising.

Was it was just your door or was the whole neighbor hood “hit”?

I just see it as a GI doing his assigned task to recruit people by using common, accepted advertising practices. How many car ads do you see with the “do not attempt” fine print at the bottom of the screen? No different than using a “UPS call tag” to get you to call.

I would rather see a person doing exactly what he/she did than sitting on their arse getting a welfare check!!!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
your sister got a 99 on her ASVAB, duh! I guess being a nuclear propulsion tech or digital systems analyst for the Aegis System is just too good to put on a resume.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
your sister got a 99 on her ASVAB, duh! I guess being a nuclear propulsion tech or digital systems analyst for the Aegis System is just too good to put on a resume.
Bingo...As for us stoopin so low, brother let me tell you, I drop notes at peoples doors also to get in touch with them, and sometimes I send out information to addresses, and if that person is not there, more than likely they will have a note as such. Watch what you say, really, I am not in the mood for poeple thinking that fellow Navy recruiters are doing something wrong.

Oh, and we want quality, not quantity, and we are not hurting for people either. Just a fellow recruiter doing his job.

What are you doing in your life right now, maybe you should go confront him then and say it to his face to stop leaving you stuff.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Like Titles Matter

Quote:
It even said on it that they missed a delivery and to call this number to reschedule.

This is not common, accepted advertising practice. It IS wrong and unacceptable. It's just a flat out lie.

Leaving a message of some sort asking a person who has expressed interest is fine. Lying about it, making them think it is something different in order to trick them into calling is just not right. This is not the sort of behavior that would entice most people into signing up, quite the opposite in fact.

In this case it is even more wrong since she has evidently made it clear to them that she is not interested. She should only have to tell them no once. They should have the attitude that they aren't at all interested in someone who isn't gung ho to begin with.

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
This is not common, accepted advertising practice. It IS wrong and unacceptable. It's just a flat out lie.

Leaving a message of some sort asking a person who has expressed interest is fine. Lying about it, making them think it is something different in order to trick them into calling is just not right. This is not the sort of behavior that would entice most people into signing up, quite the opposite in fact.

In this case it is even more wrong since she has evidently made it clear to them that she is not interested. She should only have to tell them no once. They should have the attitude that they aren't at all interested in someone who isn't gung ho to begin with.
QFT

\,,/
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 PM
1st Gear Poster

with someone scoring a 97 or 99 on their ASVAB, you can write your own ticket in the Navy or Air Force. I cant speak for the Navy, but the Air Force will gurantee you a job, so you know what you will be doing once you make it through basic training.

06 [email protected] The Maxton Mile 184.2 MPH--setup for the street.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
I've never heard of some like this before, maybe you should scan it and copy a picture for us to see?

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Duffy View Post
with someone scoring a 97 or 99 on their ASVAB, you can write your own ticket in the Navy or Air Force. I cant speak for the Navy, but the Air Force will gurantee you a job, so you know what you will be doing once you make it through basic training.
We guarantee everything, its in black and white before you sign. As for a 99, Nuclear Engineering is the preferred choice amongst applicants with that AFQT.

post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:44 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
That tag sounds pretty odd actually. I haven't seen that yet and I'm a recruiter in the Chicagoland area. As for why there may be multiple contacts, if you live in one particular zip code and go to school in another you could end up with that score hitting two recruiter's lists from the same service. It happens a lot out here. Also, with that kind of score, it helps to talk to a military recruiter and look at your options. You'd be surprised how even the most highly regarded college will change it's tune about grants and scholerships once you toss military jargon their way.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:49 PM
PostWhore

hmm tis odd, i'm glad i've moved 7 times since i graduated high school in 06.

if they come a-lookin' for me im sure they'll give up in a great big hurry once they go on a wild decipha chase

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 08:55 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Quote:
Originally Posted by decipha View Post

if they come a-lookin' for me im sure they'll give up in a great big hurry once they go on a wild decipha chase
meh, sounds like you'll find one of us LOL. At least you won't be moving so much!

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Or find 2 of us... lol.

Ask Stinger1987 how we roll. Scared the bejesus outta him!

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 12:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by decipha View Post

uncle sam knows more than you think

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:04 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
The Navy is pretty fat right now anyway, so I couldn't see them being this aggressive, even for nuke.

I failed my ASVAB and got a 93.

I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Chaos Journey
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

my scanner doesnt work so ill take a picture of it later this morning when I get home and show it.

P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
The Navy is pretty fat right now anyway, so I couldn't see them being this aggressive, even for nuke.

I failed my ASVAB and got a 93.

And where do you get your information from? Interesting proposition.

post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

And dont get me wrong guys I respect the military and am even thinking about the Air Force, but stuff like this isnt right.

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:

Last edited by Gcline; 07-23-2008 at 11:51 PM.
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

So did you call the phone number and confirm it is from the Navy? A free 411.com lookup just says that is a cell phone number.

And did your sister call and tell them to not contact her any more? Complaining here does nothing. Complain to the people bugging you.

IMHO, the fact that it is addressed to your sister is more than enough justification to call and complain.

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:

And im not really complaining, just telling what happened. I guess you could say I am complaining about the way they are doing things, the fake barcode seems a little much and to look like a delivery label is much too, a simple note on the door would have worked. If it was addressed to me I would call and complain to them, but since it has her name on it I'll let her handle it. As long as it doesnt bother my sleep cycle since I work nights I really dont care.

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:49 AM
Like Titles Matter

I just called this number. Guy answers Navy, then some name I forget. Played it up like "uhhh yeah I got a notice saying I had missed a delivery and to call this number". He says "Yes, last name Thompson?". At this point I hung up, I only wanted to confirm that this POS was actually doing this, and he is. I am truly outraged. I think if I was getting those left on my door, I'd start up the chain of command until someone takes a giant dump on this guy.

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:09 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
I'd start up the chain of command until someone takes a giant dump on this guy.
Go for it. His commander will most likely congratulate him for doing his job.

I wouldn't phrase it as 'going low'. Now, if the guy was in the ghetto part of town handing out enlistments to criminals...then complain about stooping low.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
well damn it if it is a localized Navy recruiting tool that they manufactured to lure people into calling in. He is a Chief Petty Officer and its his Zone supervisor there in Ohio that uses them to make appointments, they say it works.

I feel like absolute horse crap, cause this does indeed look lowdown and dirty, and I even said that to the Chief, told him that it looks like a scam, told him to use authorized Navy recruiting gear.

This makes me mad, cause now you guys are going to generalize all of us recruiters in one bag of tricks. I am not that way at all.
Well, dude, call them and tell them that you aren't interested one more time. Ok, that is my advice.

post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

One question though.... Is Kim hot?

We're all assuming he was recruiting for the Navy.... maybe he was recruiting for himself...

If that is the case then what he did is perfectly acceptable. All's fair when it comes to trying to get some... Right?

Just kidding!!

If he was doing that and got caught, man on man I wouldn’t want to be him!!!

69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
All's fair when it comes to trying to get some... Right?
lol man you sure have a way with words ....i could have sworn you were going to say, "all's fair...in love and war"..but nope

Last edited by guitar maestro; 07-23-2008 at 02:21 PM.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Like Titles Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativedetroiter View Post
cause now you guys are going to generalize all of us recruiters in one bag of tricks. I am not that way at all.

I don't think that way at all. Just because this one guy is a jackass, that doesn't make you or anyone else one also.

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:25 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativedetroiter View Post
And where do you get your information from? Interesting proposition.
What proposition? That the Navy is fat? I heard that from recruiters from 2 different offices, a family friend who is an E-8, and one of the Navy people at MEPS. One term was "fat", and another said "over manned". Should I not believe them?

Sorry if I relayed false information given to me by Navy people.

I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Chaos Journey
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 03:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Yea, Fat, Like Overweight. Not entirely, is the numbers good for the Navy right now, yes, are we going to stop recruiting though, no. Numbers from our end will diminish, cause young men and women are realizing that staying in the Navy is the best thing to do right now, so some of your information is correct.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in