What some people junk out.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
What some people junk out....

I was at the local yard today getting a rear brake caliper bracket for my bird. The only one they had for me was on a Mark VIII. The guy who took me out to it was telling me a little story about that car.....

Somebody had a super nice clean Mark, decided they wanted custom paint. They takes it to a shop and about $5,000 later have a blue/purple/black paint job on it. The kind that changes color depending on how you look at it....is it called "irridescent" or something? Anyway, two months later the Mark's tranny gives out. Soooo, the owner (wait for it.......wait for it.......) JUNKED the car out to this salvage yard! Then when we got to the car, it was just as he described.

I'm sorry I didn't bring a cam to get a pic of this car to show you, and this place doesn't normally allow people to go back there and pick parts off stuff. The body was still sweet, but had all the normal things scavenged off it already. I walked around this car a few times, watching the colors come out of it, shaking my head all the way. Unreal.
I simply told the guy, "Must be nice to have more money than to know what to do with it" and got to work on getting that caliper part I needed. Staring at the air ride bag the whole time. The guy got probably what, $50? $100? for scrap price?

Sheesh.

Delete my account.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 09:53 PM
PostSlut

more like $250....maybe $300.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:26 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
You should buy it!

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:29 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Battery
Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
more like $250....maybe $300.
I only got $100 for my 97 bird, and I went to a few places. Must depend where you are. All anyone cared about was which wheels it had.

"It's all in the reflexes"
LE RIP
Now 96 Mark VIII
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 10:40 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
I only got $100 for my 97 bird, and I went to a few places. Must depend where you are. All anyone cared about was which wheels it had.
damn that sucks.....my brother got $250 for his blown up 93 3.8l.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
How ravaged was it? Expensive stuff missing? you should buy it if its not to bad and they would let it go for a decent price. That is if the guy wasn't lying about it just being the trans.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2008, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
I dunno about trying to buy it. I've tried that in the past and only got two places with that: "No" and "where".

Maybe it's a salvage law in this state or something?

Everytime I tried, I got shot down. Either they flat-out refused to sell, citing some paperwork crap that would have to be done, an inspection, etc. or they wanted way too much $$ for what it was worth.

Last car I tried to nab out of a slavage yard was my friend's '72 Maverick Grabber. His mom junked it after he passed away. First time I was told $500 for the car. I came back with the $$, and was told $700. I came back with that and was told it couldn't be sold, as it was salvage material. Bah. I at least bought the Grabber hood off it for $35which I sat on for about a year then sold it at a swap meet for $300.

Delete my account.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 12:53 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

I was at a local yard last week, and there was a 95% complete 1980 Porsche 928 sitting there. All that I could see missing was wheels and the intake tubes. I'd go get it if I had room for it.

~Jeff

*signed off
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-29-2008, 07:56 PM
PostWhore

Steel is up to 13 cents a pound down here, you might get more money at the metal scrap now than at a boneyard.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 12:40 PM

Yeah,I needed a front header panel for my '92 cougar and the '95 I got it from was nicer looking than what I have. I guess some people don't want to do major repairs to a 10+ year old car nowadays.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 01:12 PM
PostWhore

My 97 Cougar was within $500 of being totaled for a bent rear subframe behind the rear tire. You can't see any damage unless you look for it but the bill was over $4000. Salvage yard offered $300 for the car to the insurance company so I was able to buy it back for that amount. Car looks near mint inside and out and drives just fine with that slight bend in the frame since its behind everything. With used car values in the gutter and repair bills so high its no wonder some nice cars are crushed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in