Houston, we gotta problem. ('01 Intrepid) - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Houston, we gotta problem. ('01 Intrepid)

Okay, here's the story.

My dad's 2001 Intrepid is a real beater - and it's had the CEL on for several months now.

On Saturday, a would-be thief attempted to steal it from my driveway. HE was unsuccessful - all he did was pull the trim from underneath the steering column and leave a wire dangling off with the plastic connector taken off.

I call the police, they came, filled out their paperwork, etc. etc., and they asked me to start the car. It started just fine.

My parents were out of town for a while and they only just got back yesterday. My dad went to leave for work this morning and his car wouldn't start. He took my Thunderbird. When he got home, I decided to try and jump his car. It worked.

I then decide it's time to get his CEL scanned. I bring it to the local AutoZone where I realize that the wire that had been left dangling was the PCM connector. The AutoZone "tech" tried to scan it anyway. It didn't work. I started the car and drive about 1/4 of a mile away when I realized that (a) the shift indicator had all of the lights lit up, and (b) the car isn't shifting out of first gear. I turned around, drove back and asked the guy if there was anything he could do. He said no.

So I drove it back to my house, and maybe halfway home, I noticed that, suddenly, the speedo/odo had also stopped working.

Does anyone have any idea what the hell could've happened?

As of now, I left the car sitting in the driveway with the battery disconnected.

- Alex B.
Ranger Up - Not everyone's war stories end in high school.

Out of the Thunderbird game for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Veteran Poster

Try www.dodgetalk.com . ANY Mopar questions you have they can answer..Good luck!

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 07:56 AM
PostSlut

maybe reconnect the dangling wire??

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
maybe reconnect the dangling wire??
Dangling wire ended up just being the PCM connector, see above. Nothing critical.

Anyway, I figured it out, it's fixed (mostly). Still have to fix the PCM connector - I need to get my hands on a wiring diagram and figure out which pins go to which slots in the plastic end.

- Alex B.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicks View Post
Dangling wire ended up just being the PCM connector, see above. Nothing critical.

Anyway, I figured it out, it's fixed (mostly).

Still have to fix the PCM connector - I need to get my hands on a wiring diagram and figure out which pins go to which slots in the plastic end.

So what did you do to fix it???

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Burned out 10A fuse controlling the Transmission control and gauges. That's all.

I still don't know why the CEL is on (or has been on for the last several months), and can't check because the PCM connector is busted.

A little aside about the car thief, too - he also tried to steal my neighbors' minivan. Apparently, he couldn't get it done, but he did leave something behind - his wallet on their front lawn!

Unfortunately, though, the kid (he was 19 and a high school drop out) is getting away with it. No one saw him do it, and his wallet being on the lawn next to a car with the door open and the steering column opened up, while suspicious, doesn't prove he did anything wrong. The only thing the cops went to hassle him for was the fake ID he had in his wallet.

- Alex B.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 03:06 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Koole Send a message via MSN to Koole
Wow, they let him get away with it too? Lame.

1992 Thunderbird Sport
Cats/Mufflers Delete
Air Silencer Remove
Loud and Slow

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 05:08 PM
5th Gear Poster

When I had my Trep, I went here. I didnt talk too much but I know there are people that have done everything from motor swaps, to turbos. (Sort of like here but for intrepids) Just go there and tell them what happened. I am sure they can help.

97 T-bird Silver 4.6

If it aint one thing its another.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicks View Post
Unfortunately, though, the kid (he was 19 and a high school drop out) is getting away with it. No one saw him do it, and his wallet being on the lawn next to a car with the door open and the steering column opened up, while suspicious, doesn't prove he did anything wrong. The only thing the cops went to hassle him for was the fake ID he had in his wallet.
What about all the aforementioned, along with his FINGERPRINTS on everyones stuff?
Or, were the police too enept to even think about dusting for the little $h!thead's prints?

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 02:20 PM
5th Gear Poster

Good point I didnt even think of that. I hope they dusted.

97 T-bird Silver 4.6

If it aint one thing its another.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Nope, we asked them to dust for fingerprints. The officer on the scene called up the detectives who said, "Unless there was a felony committed, we don't dust cars for prints."

Really nice, right?

- Alex B.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Veteran Poster

Hmmm.....sounds like a severe case of "Coppus not wantus to do jobbus". He more than likely just lied to your face an account of he didn't want to do the paperwork on the case. A friend of mine's wrecker just got broken into in front of my apt. last week. Granted, they didn't get much, (They left the radios and keys on the dash alone, yet swiped the owner's manual) an officer DID print the vehicle. BMV (Burglary Motor Vehicle) here is a misdemeanor, but the Sheriff's Office still does thier job. I'm glad I don't live up there in NY, otherwise I'd prolly get my ass landed in jail on trumped charges after telling one of those lazy-assed cops off.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 07:38 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
As for Auto Zone: there was never one in my town, but I heard stories about how incompetent they are. My roommate has an '02 Sunfire and the CEL came on, so he went to "the 'Zone" and they tried to scan it, but got nothing back and pretty much flat-told him, "Your ECM is bad."

Not long after that, we discovered the fuel cap wasn't on all the way. Light went off. Auto Zone= lame x 10^10.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 03:01 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runner View Post
Hmmm.....sounds like a severe case of "Coppus not wantus to do jobbus". He more than likely just lied to your face an account of he didn't want to do the paperwork on the case. A friend of mine's wrecker just got broken into in front of my apt. last week. Granted, they didn't get much, (They left the radios and keys on the dash alone, yet swiped the owner's manual) an officer DID print the vehicle. BMV (Burglary Motor Vehicle) here is a misdemeanor, but the Sheriff's Office still does thier job. I'm glad I don't live up there in NY, otherwise I'd prolly get my ass landed in jail on trumped charges after telling one of those lazy-assed cops off.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in