MN12s The next classic ?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Wink MN12s The next classic ??

My feeling is YES!!! I have been seeing less and less MN12 bodied Thunderbirds and Cougars as of late in my area of Florida, and the majority of what I see are someones old "beater" cars driven just to get from point a to point b.
We have kept our '97 TBird SPORT in what I call supreme condition even though it stays outside, mind you it had been garage kept for the first half of its life.
We even have taken it to the Silver Springs all Ford roundup the past 2 years, and have gotten to park with the other TBirds from 1955 to present day models, including a few Super Coupes.
Lots of prople mistake our car for a Super Coupe because of the unique paint color (Opalescent Pearl) and the factory spoiler, and its wheels that closely resemble the SCs wheels.
Our car has been kept all stock, and original with just 83k miles on it now, and hopefully this year before the SS show I'll have time to clean & detail the engine.
Just think about it....in 20 years the 1997s will be 30 years old and their will be companies slowly starting to reproduce parts for them, and the special models such as the SCs and XR7s and anniversary models will be all that much more valuable.
Take a look at the early Mustangs, and the 1955-57 Thunderbirds!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:19 AM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarbird View Post
My feeling is YES!!!
Don't bet on it.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
My feeling is YES!!! I have been seeing less and less MN12 bodied Thunderbirds and Cougars as of late in my area of Florida, and the majority of what I see are someone’s old "beater" cars driven just to get from point a to point b.
We have kept our '97 TBird SPORT in what I call supreme condition even though it stays outside, mind you it had been garage kept for the first half of its life.
We even have taken it to the Silver Springs all Ford roundup the past 2 years, and have gotten to park with the other TBirds from 1955 to present day models, including a few Super Coupes.
Lots of prople mistake our car for a Super Coupe because of the unique paint color (Opalescent Pearl) and the factory spoiler, and its wheels that closely resemble the SCs wheels.
Our car has been kept all stock, and original with just 83k miles on it now, and hopefully this year before the SS show I'll have time to clean & detail the engine.
Just think about it....in 20 years the 1997s will be 30 years old and their will be companies slowly starting to reproduce parts for them, and the special models such as the SCs and XR7s and anniversary models will be all that much more valuable.
Just keep telling yourself that.

I'm sorry, but you can't compare the MN12 platform to the early Mustangs or the early thunderbirds. The Mustang started the "Pony wars" and the early Thunderbirds were targeting the early Vette. What is "special" about a mass produced, generic (in the scheme of things), general transportation, heavy car that was never considered anything more than a pseudo sporty (and that is being kind) grandpa’s car?

Then think about the people that will be buying “classics” in 20 years… They will pay more for a “classic” modified Honda Civic (cough cough “rice burner” cough cough) than they will for a 30 year old grandpa car.

But I might be wrong, but that is what my crystal ball is showing.

Here’s a good example:
My 73 Cougar Base Convertible: (originally a 351C-2V/FMX and A/C)(Quantity produced: 1,284)
Average NADA “collectable” retail: $16,380

A 73 Cougar XR-7 Convertible: (351C-4V/C6 and A/C)(Quantity produced: 3,165)
Average NADA “collectable” retail: $23,625

They produced almost three times as many XR-7’s convertibles as they produced the base model convertible, but the XR-7’s are worth $7000 more. Unfortunately, you can’t apply logic to trying to figure out what is going to be a “classic”.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Wink

Wow!!! I never would have thought I'd get such negitive responses!!
Someone has to preserve the MN12s for generations of the future, or there will be none left!
Have you folks ever seen the mint all original ultra low mile SC that is owned by one of the owners of NPD here in Florida, I think it has under 100 miles on it.
I guess I've really got nothing to substanciate (sp) my feelings, but that is how I feel.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:46 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
yea, ill try to preserve my 95 the day it stops giving me ****, honestly i love these cars, but after owning this 95, ive lost my respect for the "preservable image" of the MN12. now my 96 with 72k miles on it... that i might consider preserving, just not this 95...

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 12:57 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
the only people outside tccoa and sccoa who like these cars are usually nascar fans. i dont see the point in preserving to stock what is percieved by the public as a 2 door taurus/sable.

also, late model cars as a whole will probably sell for more modified in the future IMO

-Matt
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
PostSlut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post

Here’s a good example:
My 73 Cougar Base Convertible: (originally a 351C-2V/FMX and A/C)(Quantity produced: 1,284)
Average NADA “collectable” retail: $16,380
funny, my 73 in prestine condition has the same value as yours(on nada).....but, will I ever see that kind of money from this car....hell no.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 01:56 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Just think about it....in 20 years the 1997s will be 30 years old
just because a car is old dosnt make it valuable, these cars arnt limited production by any means and that really is the determining factor on value. i mean look at the early mustangs coupes vs fastbacks made wayy more coups than fastbacks and price today reflects that
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 03:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I appreciate your enthusiasm but I kindly remind you, don't be naive.

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 03:54 PM
Stroked and Blown

Send a message via AIM to BlakTbird96
I doubt it. I always see them being crushed at junkyards. Nobody wants them now, but look at some other cars, which at once were unpopular pos's such as the 1958 Plymouth Fury and Belvederes.

It was an extremely unpopular car in the 50's and 60's and were usually crushed at junkyards years later where as the 57 Chevy, 57 Tbird, and 59 Caddys were the popular cars, that everyone bought up and wanted to restore.

Then in 1983 with the release of the move Christine, there was suddenly a high demand for 57/58 Plymouths. If not for Christine, they too would have been forgotten about and left in junkyards to rot away.

The moral of the story is never say never, anythings possible.

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
'06 Chrysler Sebring "Vert 2.7
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
someone needs to make a movie about a posessed mn12, its not far from the truth

-Matt
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
they werent designed to be race cars, they were trying to compete with the big german coupes like the 635 bmw.

heavy and weak huh? the mn12 is stronger structurally than ANY fox car stock to stock. the sla front and rear suspensions are still the standard for any respectable performance car today.
in terms of weight the new mustang in gt form is pushing 3600 lbs and the gt500's are 3800+lbs. and guess what? the new mustang suspensions still suck, mcpherson crap and a live axle, yet they weigh almost the same as an mn12

just remember, if ford would have shortened the wheelbase and slapped a pony logo on them, it would be a totally different story. lack of power, marketing and changing trends is what made them fail. the chassis had great potential.

-Matt
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:14 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
just remember, if ford would have shortened the wheelbase and slapped a pony logo on them, it would be a totally different story. lack of power, marketing and changing trends is what made them fail. the chassis had great potential.

Agreed, it had a lot of potential but Ford screwed the pooch like always.

These cars are only classics to people on this forum I am sorry to say, kind of like how valued 4 door cars from the 60's and 70's are considered today. When you can get as much from the scrap metal place as the junkyard it tells you what other people feel the worth is.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:40 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
someone needs to make a movie about a posessed mn12, its not far from the truth
Meh, that would just be a documentry. These cars do have a lot of potential, but will probably never be a classic.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:54 PM
PostWhore

regardless if these cars ever become a classis or not is debatable but one fact remains.

the 89 sc is a legend... it was motor trends car of the year and had a major impact on the vehicle industry in regard to blowers. The supercoupe is and will always be a highly regarded vehicle in ford's history.

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 PM
Stroked and Blown

Send a message via AIM to BlakTbird96
Quote:
Originally Posted by decipha View Post
regardless if these cars ever become a classis or not is debatable but one fact remains.

the 89 sc is a legend... it was motor trends car of the year and had a major impact on the vehicle industry in regard to blowers. The supercoupe is and will always be a highly regarded vehicle in ford's history.
I thought Ford actually hated the Tbird Supercoupes because they were actually faster than their precious Mustang. Probably why they stopped making them.

My other home:
Mid-AtlanticMN12's

'96 Ford Tbird 3.8 SC
'06 Chrysler Sebring "Vert 2.7
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 12:14 AM
$.25 poster

Send a message via AIM to AlpineBird
well, thats why the SVT version of the thunderbird was never produced. God for bid something be faster then a stang.

'96 Alpine Bird 281ci
- Clear Corners
- DynoMax Cat-Back
- Purchased with 36,000 miles, now at 101k
- No mods planned untill it's DD life is over

1998 5.9 Limited Grand Cherokee
- Flowmaster Exhaust
- AEM Brute Force Intake
- Mopar Performance ECU

- 275hp-395ft/lbs at the crank (est.) Track results in the spring!!!
post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 01:25 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineBird View Post
well, thats why the SVT version of the thunderbird was never produced. God for bid something be faster then a stang.
I always thought the reason there were no SVT's is because there are no 1998 Thunderbirds ? Wasn't it supposed to be a 98 ? And if they did build it would it of been faster than the 98 Mustang Cobra SVT ?

Last edited by jnk3846; 08-02-2008 at 01:31 AM.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 01:29 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
It's probably why the AWD SC was never produced too. And also probably why the SC got detuned and got a very restrictive exhaust.

As for the original question, it is simply an issue of supply and demand. The MN12 is a car that had very high production numbers, and now has very few people actually wanting one. Eventually, after 99.9% of the MN12s ever made get wrecked, parted out, crushed, or otherwise destroyed, then there will be few enough of them that someone who wants one will have to pay more money for it. As it is right now, you can go pick up an MN12 for $1000 in drivable condition. As more get destroyed, there are fewer of them to go around for us enthusiasts, but also as they get older, there are fewer people looking specifically for an MN12, so in order for the price to go up substantially, enough of them need to get destroyed that someone who wants one won't be able to drive around town for 30 minutes and see 3 of them sitting in people's driveways. For that to happen, its going to take quite a while, since I believe there were over 100,000 cars produced each year for 8 model years.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 06:30 AM
Like Titles Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by decipha View Post

Yeah yeah. The Renault Alliance was MT COTY too. So much for that.

1996 Thunderbird LX- [email protected] NA
1998 GT - [email protected]
2001 Lightning - [email protected]
1996 GT 248A - [email protected]?
2011 GT - [email protected] 180 MPH at the Texas Mile

generated by sloganizer.net
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:33 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to CougarXR/7
Mn-12

Well...............my Sons and I drive MN-12s.

A "classic"........I doubt it, a nice car that will be enjoied years from now, yes.

I plan to keep my 92' five speed (one of 1,256) and leave it to one of my Sons or grandkids.

I'm afraid the Mustang will over shadow any MN-12, enjoy your car for what it is.

To ALL my fellow Veterans......................Thanks!

U. S. Army 1971 - 1974

1980 Thunderbird - R.I.P.
1992 Super Coupe five speed
1990 35Th "Anni" Super Coupe automatic - R.I.P.
1994 Super Coupe five speed
1994 4.6 LX Thunderbird automatic - R.I.P.
1995 4.6 LX Thunderbird automatic - R.I.P.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 PM
PostWhore

I bought my MN12 for a project car and for my enjoyment. If it becomes rare some day, that would be okay with me as long as I can still find parts. In my mind, every car has a chance to become a classic.

On my last cruise, I noticed a Ford model that I haven't seen in person before. It was a 1970 Ford Torino GT which was restored very nicely. I was very impressed with it, but I would imagine that its not a car that usually people restore. I think the MN12 would belong in the same catagory 20 years from now, one you don't see everyday.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
Quote:
My feeling is YES!!! I have been seeing less and less MN12 bodied Thunderbirds and Cougars as of late in my area of Florida, and the majority of what I see are someones old "beater" cars driven just to get from point a to point b.
no offense but the 97 tbird sport with the pearl white hardly resembles a sc. i would know i own a 97 sport lx 4.6L sohc pearl escent and the paint was just a stock color you could get the tbird in as well as a metallic blue called midnight moon blue or something along those lines. how ever i do agree with you that the tbird si becoming a dieing breed it a shame that its true. i really think the tbird could come back especailly if they did several versions including a 4 cylinder to compete with the jap market vehicles. im sure that a lot of you would flame me for the 4 cylindr idea though but it would be a great car to compete with forieghn auto makers

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:40 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometGSR View Post
On my last cruise, I noticed a Ford model that I haven't seen in person before. It was a 1970 Ford Torino GT which was restored very nicely. I was very impressed with it, but I would imagine that its not a car that usually people restore. I think the MN12 would belong in the same catagory 20 years from now, one you don't see everyday.

I think you might be onto something....

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
torinos/cyclones are still really cheap to get compared to everything else in that era. so i'd agree they would be good cars to compare them to.

-Matt
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 11:50 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 5.0 bird
302 Mavericks/Comets are starting to bring pretty good money now also.

I could see V8 and SC Birds and Cougars bringing what Torinos do in 30 years, but you never know.

Matt

1986 Cougar 5.0

1989 Mk VII LSC 5 speed (sold)

1992 Thunderbird Sport 5.0 (sold)
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 02:03 PM
5th Gear Poster

I dont think it will be a classic but if you think about it Ford did make a lot of thunderbird's in 1955 and there classics. It could happen i guess but i dont think so.

Cincinnati Thunderbird and cougar club www.cintcc.com
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 02:06 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to alasich
I'm going to have to say it all depends on what future cars look like, and things like that. Some people like the looks of these types of cars. You have performace/reliability/power/gas mileage. No many cars have a good balance of all the

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

Muffler removal, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 205/75/R15 Trail Rated Tires, Rear Chrome Removal, Front Fog Lights, Digital Dash Mod, New AOD Transmission with Shift Kit, Air Silencer Delete

~newly painter front and back bumper and side mirrors. Done by me, and quite proud of it!~
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 02:20 PM
PostWhore

Ford made a lot in the 70's and 80's as well and look at their value now. The turbo model is about the only one people care about from those years.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 10:04 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmckinney View Post
Ford made a lot in the 70's and 80's as well and look at their value now. The turbo model is about the only one people care about from those years.

I agree with you there but i have seen low millage aerobirds going for about 12-20G's they only have maybe 30 grand on the speedo but only half of them were Turbo model's. Who's to say that the SC's wont be like that down the line or even all MN12's. I still dont know if it will be a classic or not im thinking probably not.

Cincinnati Thunderbird and cougar club www.cintcc.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in