Passed over a great deal today... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Passed over a great deal today...

Went to FFW in Bristol today and at the swap meet there was a guy selling a low-mile bare 03 Explorer block with a set of heads off the same engine sans camshafts... The dude wanted $250 for everything, i had the money in hand but i had to pass it over because i am banking a downpayment for a newer car so i can park and rebuild the T-bird to my liking. Im thinking i should have gone ahead and bought the crap but then again i drove my bird there so i would have probably had some space issues with the block in the trunk... lol.

1997 Thunderbird LX, 4.6L, Performance White.
3.27 TL, 300hp J-Mod, Mid-Mount Magnaflow w/2.25" True Duals to 3" Magnaflow 15* Slash Cut Tips, PI Intake,
FR500 Steering Wheel, FRPP Wires, 180* T-Stat, 22C Plugs, Cobra Vert Rears, RSTB, SC "L" Braces. 175k and still flying!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 07:15 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
space issues? tie that ***** shut! That was a good deal but who knows what you may find when your ready to build your bird.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Voice/Data Guru

For sure would have loved to have had that

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 08-02-2008 at 08:00 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 95xbird Send a message via MSN to 95xbird
$250.00 for an Explorer block and heads?Could have bolted it back together and sold it for more.

Shame on you.

04 PI swap,SVO Supercharger 8-9 psi,Alcohol injection,39lbs Cobra injectors,XCal2-Walbro 255 LPH fuel pump,4.10 T-Lok,2003 4R70W built to withstand by RobertP,450hp JMOD,3800 circleD stall,trucool 4739 Trans Cooler,Dynotech 3.5 Driveshaft,70mm T/B,SCP Cold Air Intake,90mm LMAF,JBA headers,Magnaflow Midmount,No cats with 3inch piping,Vogtland 1.6inch drop,Cobra R's and xenon body kit.

Its slow, Really.
LS1 KILLER
1995 svo Tbird. R.I.P.
Parts FOR SALE http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132585
96 Pearl white bird. Awaiting transplants from the 95
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
The Buyer Beware adage "If it sounds to good to be true... It probably is" comes to mind.

There may have been more problems with that engine than just missing cams.

There will always be another engine.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 09:08 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to stickysilvertbird Send a message via MSN to stickysilvertbird Send a message via Yahoo to stickysilvertbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
The Buyer Beware adage "If it sounds to good to be true... It probably is" comes to mind.

+1

going off personal experience of a week ago here, ive been looking around for a new motor for my 88 RX7 GXL since its cheaper usually to buy a newer used motor than it is to rebuild the one i have already, so im looking on craigslist when i see one come up for $200 and only about 60 miles away from me, so i exchange a few emails with the guy and we agreed on a time to meet at his house.

well, first sign of misconception here was that the motor was sitting sideways on the floor and in the picture he had on craigs list he had it upright, braced and strapped to a wooden pallet.

second sign, everything thing the guy told me he had with the motor wasnt there,, no exhaust manifold, no throttle body, no accessory brackets, nothing..

third sign, he told me that the reason he'd taken it out of the car in the first place was to replace the rear coolant seal, which is the same reason i need to rebuild (or re-seal if you like) the motor i already have.. so i told the guy to **** off and drove home angered that id wasted a tank of gas to go and see such bull****.

im agreeing with trunk on this one, "if it sounds too good to be true.. it more than likely, is.."

just keep that in mind and get a real good look at whatever you buy like that especially for that seemingly good of a price..
just my $.02

♠Zack♠
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Maynard
Thou shalt pullest out thy pin and count to 3. no more, no less. 4 thou shall not count. nor shall thou count to 2, unless then proceeding to 3. 5 is right out! once thou counts to 3. being the third number being reached, then thou lobbest thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, towards thy foe, who be nort in my sight, dare snuff it...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94TchikinV8 Send a message via Yahoo to 94TchikinV8
Not necessarily always too good to be true. I have gotten several great deals; you just have to search around, and beware of the seller and their reputation.

I bought my explorer engine off the forums for $550 about 3-4 years ago and it came with new HGs and ARP head studs. The shortblock was low mileage, and the guy had started to port out one of the heads. All I had to do was get a used head and put the top end together. It runs great.

Just last week I bought a 2 week old MGW shifter for a t45 for $100. New they are like $180, and used on the corral they go for $150 or more.

My biggest problem with finding deals is having the money at the right place and time.

That being said, I think you should have taken the deal today

-Rob

1994 Thunderbird LX V8

Still in pieces in the garage awaiting body work, paint, and a drivetrain...

Currently driving a 98 Mustang GT convertible:
02 Explorer engine, Comp 262ah cams, Steeda underdrives, aftermarket H-pipe with high flow cats, SLP LM1 exhaust, MGW shifter, RAM clutch
[email protected], 2.17 60ft(stock 2.73s, worn-out trac-lok)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 03:47 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

I got my explorer block out of OH for $180 shipped. This was before everyone was looking for them.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 04:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post

theres always better deals i just got my 200$ 01 pi motor running it only had 77k on it. With gas prices so higher v8 motors are selling for alot cheaper

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I am glad today that i did not go for it. I would have just ended up collecting more parts for a build that financially may or may not happen. If i already had a rotating assembly in hand and i happened upon that lot of goodies i would have done it but since i dont have the most expensive part of the build a backed off it.

1997 Thunderbird LX, 4.6L, Performance White.
3.27 TL, 300hp J-Mod, Mid-Mount Magnaflow w/2.25" True Duals to 3" Magnaflow 15* Slash Cut Tips, PI Intake,
FR500 Steering Wheel, FRPP Wires, 180* T-Stat, 22C Plugs, Cobra Vert Rears, RSTB, SC "L" Braces. 175k and still flying!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in