Plasmas, and reasons not to buy LG - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Plasmas, and reasons not to buy LG

Well, plasmas are great, if you get a Pioneer Elite, or at least a Panasonic. Rest are mostly junk.

We've got a Sony BDP-350 Blu-Ray player hooked up to a 52" LG Plasma (52LBX or LB9 or something). Well, when it's flashing the little screen-saver, that's meant to prevent burn-in, no matter what. It's up there on its full brightness for 5 seconds, only 5. There's like a thousand little Blu-Ray logos burned into the LG now. They'll be gone soon, or all blend in if they leave it running, but that's horrible for a TV to do that. The "PLAYLIST" menu from the 3 Doors Down DVD is still burned in from two weeks ago. This is why I tell customers and friends not to cheap out. Don't buy Insignia, Vizio, any of that junk. Completely worthless, just save up for a good TV.

If you're going plasma, Pioneer (or whoever they're going through now) or Panasonic. If you're going LCD, at the very least, Toshiba. I really recommend Samsung or Sony.

That's it, game over, don't be cheap. We dropped the price by $1000 on that LG, so you can get a 52" plasma for $1400, but it sucks.

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:44 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to GoldenBird
You get what you pay for with that kinda technology. That is like going to a 3rd world country to get a major surgery just to save money, taking a chance.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_cline View Post
Well, plasmas are great, if you get a Pioneer Elite, or at least a Panasonic. Rest are mostly junk.

We've got a Sony BDP-350 Blu-Ray player hooked up to a 52" LG Plasma (52LBX or LB9 or something). Well, when it's flashing the little screen-saver, that's meant to prevent burn-in, no matter what. It's up there on its full brightness for 5 seconds, only 5. There's like a thousand little Blu-Ray logos burned into the LG now. They'll be gone soon, or all blend in if they leave it running, but that's horrible for a TV to do that. The "PLAYLIST" menu from the 3 Doors Down DVD is still burned in from two weeks ago. This is why I tell customers and friends not to cheap out. Don't buy Insignia, Vizio, any of that junk. Completely worthless, just save up for a good TV.

If you're going plasma, Pioneer (or whoever they're going through now) or Panasonic. If you're going LCD, at the very least, Toshiba. I really recommend Samsung or Sony.

That's it, game over, don't be cheap. We dropped the price by $1000 on that LG, so you can get a 52" plasma for $1400, but it sucks.
So the problem you are describing is caused by a burn in from something that was on there constantly, correct?

I don’t know; maybe turn off the items, so that doesn’t happen? How many people leave their TV’s turned on continuously? Granted, it shouldn’t do that, but if it is a difference between $1000 for a TV that doesn’t do that, vs. me turning off the TV when I’m done with it, I’ll save the $1000.

I mean, how lazy (or how much are we willing to spend so we don’t have to do anything) can we get?

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:32 AM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

That's surprising to hear. Every other LG product I have had has been pretty high quality for the money.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Eleventeenth Gear Poster

Just about every plasma TV I've ever seen does that. Mine does, and its no big deal. It only does it when there is a sharp contrast in color. Its gone as soon as the picture changes. Only times I ever really notice it is during the credits of a TV show/movie or the text of commercials.

Besides, my 42" HP plasma was only $365 brand new, so I'm not gonna complain

Sold = 96 Thunderbird
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Daily Driven 4.6L View Post
So the problem you are describing is caused by a burn in from something that was on there constantly, correct?

I don’t know; maybe turn off the items, so that doesn’t happen? How many people leave their TV’s turned on continuously? Granted, it shouldn’t do that, but if it is a difference between $1000 for a TV that doesn’t do that, vs. me turning off the TV when I’m done with it, I’ll save the $1000.

I mean, how lazy (or how much are we willing to spend so we don’t have to do anything) can we get?
If you watch ESPN, MSNBC, about anything with a bar or logo at the bottom, you'll have those burned in at the same time. The 60" had ESPN2, Discovery HD, and whatever else logo burned into it all at the same time. You could watch one of those channels all day with a Panasonic or especially Pioneer and that wouldn't happen, let alone 5 minutes. It's just crazy that it would do that so quickly. The problem is caused by America having their stuff built in Korea, not by negligence to turn the TV off.

I've heard that HP had their TVs made by LG. HP quit making TVs. It was short-lived, maybe a year or so. The HP display is now our Samsung display.

Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I like my Vizio 50". No problems whatsoever.
Sometime I notice the images (cartoon network) but they go away.

And I like everything I have owned or sold that's LG. The CD burners I put in computers have been the most reliable I've ever used.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman_72 View Post
That's surprising to hear. Every other LG product I have had has been pretty high quality for the money.
exactly, they are definitely not a generic brand, I have a 42", love it, zero problems.

Hyundai Tiburon GT, 2.7l V6:
Ark DT-S dual exhaust, headers, Injen SRI, TWM short throw shifter, TWM weighted shift knob, drilled/slotted rotors, DC front and rear STBs, 6000K HIDs, SAFC 2, Tuscani Badging, Espelir Springs, ark black shorty antenna, 5Zigen FN01r-C wheels, full urethane motor mounts, NGK Iridium, 8.5 magnecore wires, NGM Sniper supercharger MP62, APE traction bars...

Mercury Cougar XR-7, 3.8l V6:
nothing, that's why I'm here...
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
I like my Vizio 50". No problems whatsoever.
Sometime I notice the images (cartoon network) but they go away.

And I like everything I have owned or sold that's LG. The CD burners I put in computers have been the most reliable I've ever used.
+1000 on both brands.

Ark DT-S dual exhaust, headers, Injen SRI, TWM short throw shifter, TWM weighted shift knob, drilled/slotted rotors, DC front and rear STBs, 6000K HIDs, SAFC 2, Tuscani Badging, Espelir Springs, ark black shorty antenna, 5Zigen FN01r-C wheels, full urethane motor mounts, NGK Iridium, 8.5 magnecore wires, NGM Sniper supercharger MP62, APE traction bars...

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Red97Tbird
What your discribing is call screen retention... The brighter the image the faster it will do this. ALL plasma tv's do this, one of the many reason's i'm not a big fan. It's not screen BURN the image will go away after some time.. Screen burn was from the old CRT projector's where the image would burn and be there forever.. LG makes really good TV's all around.. Sony does not make a plasma only LCD. LCD's will not retain images thats why they are used for computer monitor's. Plasma TV's do have better black lvl's but the new LED LCD's will star making plasma a thing of the past.. IF you have any questions about TV"S, projector's or home theater's I can pretty much tell you anything you want to know.. I have my own side buisness installing Theater's from 1k to over 100k..
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:00 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Quote:
The problem is caused by America having their stuff built in Korea, not by negligence to turn the TV off.

I've heard that HP had their TVs made by LG. HP quit making TVs. It was short-lived, maybe a year or so. The HP display is now our Samsung display.
Samsung is a Korean tv manufacturer. So you're dishing out dirt on Korean manufactured electronics and at the same time, recommending one.

Also, LG sells more flat pannels than any other brand in the world through their own name plate and joint ventures.

Nice to see that you know what you are talking about before selling products and coming on here and giving information.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red97Tbird View Post
What your discribing is call screen retention... The brighter the image the faster it will do this. ALL plasma tv's do this, one of the many reason's i'm not a big fan. It's not screen BURN the image will go away after some time.. Screen burn was from the old CRT projector's where the image would burn and be there forever.. LG makes really good TV's all around.. Sony does not make a plasma only LCD. LCD's will not retain images thats why they are used for computer monitor's. Plasma TV's do have better black lvl's but the new LED LCD's will star making plasma a thing of the past.. IF you have any questions about TV"S, projector's or home theater's I can pretty much tell you anything you want to know.. I have my own side buisness installing Theater's from 1k to over 100k..
thank god, someone popped in with accurate info

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have flip flopped about 30 times, LCD/Plasma/DLP rear projection.

Plasma was my initial want due to the true blacks and handling fast motion. Reasons against it are they are power hogs and the image retention.

LCD I don't like the motion artifacts I see, but I think that is better now and perhaps a lot of what I saw was source compression/artifacts.

DLP and up and down field of vision, but I think that is a lot better now.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:20 AM
PostSlut

I have a Samsung DLP and love it.
Was in the industry when Plasmas first came out....never really liked them.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:22 AM
6th Gear Poster

LCD's are alot better now with 120hz.. They keep up with Fast motion alot better..The up and down image you get on DLP is with any rear projection TV because of the way the light hit's the screen it's focused at a point.. So your going to get the up, down, left and right brightness difrences.. The newer rear projection TV's are alot better then they use to be.. All depends of if you have the room for a rear projection if so I would look at Samsung's new LED rear projection there really nice...
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
I have a Sony SXRD, their version of DLP and it rocks my calcetines. Also, arent there only a handful of manufacturers for LCD and Plasma screen units worldwide?

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Juice Send a message via MSN to Juice Send a message via Yahoo to Juice
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
I have a Sony SXRD, their version of DLP and it rocks my calcetines. Also, arent there only a handful of manufacturers for LCD and Plasma screen units worldwide?
I wouldn't call it their version of DLP, since it is a completely different technology... I believe I have the same TV you do, and have yet to have a gripe about it.

Not only are there only a handful of flat panel manufacturers, most of the parts in different brands are usually made by one company. I haven't read up on it in a while, but I believe Samsung and Hitachi are responsible for the bulk of flat panel display parts out there.

LG needs to stick with making refrigerators. I've never liked their displays. My biggest pet peeve with them is they have a very narrow viewing angle. Get too far off center and the picture goes to crap.

I put the sexy in dyslexia.
Chaos Journey
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
I wouldn't call it their version of DLP, since it is a completely different technology... I believe I have the same TV you do, and have yet to have a gripe about it.

Not only are there only a handful of flat panel manufacturers, most of the parts in different brands are usually made by one company. I haven't read up on it in a while, but I believe Samsung and Hitachi are responsible for the bulk of flat panel display parts out there.

LG needs to stick with making refrigerators. I've never liked their displays. My biggest pet peeve with them is they have a very narrow viewing angle. Get too far off center and the picture goes to crap.
yeah i know, LCoS, 3 LCD projection sections, et cetera. But, its for comparison sake.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 PM
6th Gear Poster

Liqud Crystal On Silicon is one of the best display technoliges I have seen.. Very fine pixel count.. On a front projector the pixel's are hard to see only a few inches off a 110" screen.. I'm a very big fan on the new Sony front projector's $2700.00 and you can have one of the best picture's money can buy... Very good stuff.. Sony is no longer making rear projections which sucks.. Just front projector's and LCD now...oh and OLED..
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I just got two new 24" Samsung LCD 1920x1200 widescreen monitors, and they are incredible! They actually are better than the same resolution Trinitron monitors they replaced; better brightness with about the same black level.

I want an 80" version for the living room, now!

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, Most Outrageous Diversion by MSNBC for this quote
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

LG's are notorious for this. I work at Best Buy and I got a killer deal on an Insignia (read "store brand") 42" Plasma, i knew that the TV was manufactured by LG and that is actually part of why i bought it. The only problems i have with any imagae retention is when im switching between the home screen to a game or movie on my PS3 i can still see a slight ghosting of the icons on the home screen. Once the TV cools off it all goes away.

1997 Thunderbird LX, 4.6L, Performance White.
3.27 TL, 300hp J-Mod, Mid-Mount Magnaflow w/2.25" True Duals to 3" Magnaflow 15* Slash Cut Tips, PI Intake,
FR500 Steering Wheel, FRPP Wires, 180* T-Stat, 22C Plugs, Cobra Vert Rears, RSTB, SC "L" Braces. 175k and still flying!
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron K. View Post
Just about every plasma TV I've ever seen does that.
The LG is the only plasma we have that does that. Not even the junky Hitachi does it really, but the picture quality is way worse.

LG has been around in appliances for a while, and their packaging is some of the best, but the build quality is rather poor on some items, like their fridges. An older model we took out had some paint start to blister around the edge of some of their drawers. The smooth look is hard for hiding scratches, or even after cleaning with a towel, you can see swirl marks. We went out a couple weeks ago and replaced a fridge with those problems. It was starting to make "funny sounds" so they wanted a new one. We've taken four fridges and two ranges out to that house so far. Quality could definitely be better.

Not to put you down, but Vizio is not quality. You can spend a little more and get a better product. It's just that you can't buy higher-end electronics at most stores. (Sony XBR, Pioneer Elite/Kuro)

You ever seen a Pioneer Elite? Seriously? Blackest blacks, the TV almost looks like it's off when it's showing a black screen. No screen retention.

So there's temporary image retention, and permanent image retention. The 50PY3D definitely has burn-in. The models that are having issues are the PY3D in the 50" and 60".

Sony does make plasmas, their Pro Series. Not that we sell them. You took my words out of context, though. They used to make them a few years ago in their XBR series and others.

Sony PlasmaPro Series: http://b2b.sony.com/Solutions/subcat...sma-pro-series

Sony's OLED panels are excellent, but the $2500 for an 11" screen is too crazy. You don't want to know the price for their 27". But if there is no display picture, you seriously cannot tell if it is on or not without looking at the buttons. There is no backlighting. 1M:1 contrast ratio, because Sony doesn't have hardwear that can measure above that level. The flexible OLED is cool. Check out the vids on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Cat View Post
thank god, someone popped in with accurate info
Funny guy...

Projection televisions are mostly out for the count. Mitsubishi is still trying to stick around, and they're still bringing out their "LASERS" but we'll see how long they last.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in