Favre finally Jets to New York - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
shaken, not stirred

Favre finally Jets to New York

Brett Favre is a New York Jet!

Story

Quote:
AP - Aug 7, 1:14 am EDT NFL Gallery GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—The Green Bay Packers have reached an agreement to trade quarterback Brett Favre to the New York Jets, the team announced late Wednesday night. Terms of the trade weren’t immediately available.

The Packers had been talking with the Jets and Tampa Bay Buccaneers since deciding earlier this week that the team could no longer co-exist with one of the most beloved players in franchise history.

The Packers decided to move forward with Aaron Rodgers as their starter after Favre announced his retirement in March. Given their commitment to Rodgers, team officials weren’t particularly receptive when Favre decided a little over a month ago that he might want to play after all—the latest development in several years’ worth of flip-flopping about his football future.

“Brett has had a long and storied career in Green Bay, and the Packers owe him a tremendous debt of gratitude for everything he accomplished on the field and for the impact he made in the state,” Green Bay officials said in a statement.

“It is with some sadness that we make this announcement, but also with the desire for certainty that will allow us to move the team and organization forward in the most positive way possible.”

Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson issued a statement early Thursday.

“I am looking forward to seeing Brett Favre in a New York Jets uniform,” Johnson said. “He represents a significant addition to this franchise, and reflects our commitment to putting the best possible product on the field. Mike Tannenbaum and his football administration staff did a great job of navigating this complex process. I am excited about welcoming Brett, Deanna and their family to the Jets organization.”

The agreement was first reported by Fox Sports on its Web site.

Favre’s new No. 4 Jets jersey already was for sale on the team’s Web site about an hour after the trade was announced.

Favre left Green Bay on Wednesday, boarding a private plane that left for Hattiesburg, Miss. at 1:25 p.m. EDT with Deanna and agent James “Bus” Cook. Favre’s family home is near Hattiesburg.

In Mississippi, Favre confirmed that he was considering the Jets and Buccaneers.

“We’re working on it,” Favre told Jackson TV station WJTV. “Hopefully, we can get something resolved. I’ve been saying that for quite a while now. I don’t want to say we’re running out of time, but I need to get into a camp somewhere.”

The 38-year-old Favre holds most major NFL passing records and led the Packers to the NFC Championship last season, where they lost to the New York Giants. But Favre threw what would prove to be the decisive interception in overtime.

The Jets went into training camp with an open competition between Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens after neither established themselves during a 4-12 season. Pennington was 1-7 as the starter and was benched midway through the season. Clemens went 3-5, but Pennington actually had the better season statistically.

With Favre’s arrival, it’s generally believed that one of the two will be traded or released—with the most likely candidate being Pennington.

After some hope for reconciliation between the franchise and perhaps its most beloved player earlier this week, the final split between the Packers and Favre became obvious Tuesday evening.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy told reporters on Tuesday that after approximately six hours of what he called “brutally honest” conversations over two days, the coach had determined that Favre doesn’t have the right mind-set to play for the Packers.

McCarthy said Favre couldn’t seem to get past emotional wounds that were opened as tensions mounted in recent weeks—even with the chance to win his starting job back potentially on the table.

“The train has left the station, whatever analogy you want,” McCarthy said Tuesday. “He needs to jump on the train and let’s go. Or, if we can’t get past things that have happened, I have to keep the train moving.”

McCarthy spoke to Favre again Tuesday night, but there was no indication that their conversation did anything to change the fractured relationship between Favre and the franchise.

“It was just very general,” McCarthy said of the conversation with Favre, who was excused from practice Wednesday. “Just how he was doing, where he was with the process, things like that.”

McCarthy said he was happy the rest of his players were getting a chance to move forward.

“We talked about it last night,” McCarthy said. “The players want resolution, they want what everybody wants. To come out here every day and talk about somebody that is not here and then shows up, it’s gone on too long, and understandably so. They want to play football.”

Packers players vented frustration over the lingering Favre situation Tuesday, after fans chanting “Bring Back Brett!” turned practice into a zoo-like atmosphere and reporters continued asking questions about Favre instead of football.

After McCarthy made it clear that Favre’s football future wouldn’t be in Green Bay, players seemed to have some sense of closure.

Packers cornerback Charles Woodson—who said Tuesday that the saga had “gone on long enough”—said Wednesday that the Packers’ front office gave players the answers they needed.

“From what I understand, for the most part it’s taken care of,” Woodson said. “Now it’s just about the Packers and not about the situation. It’s over now. From what I understand, it’s pretty much over.”

Favre’s new No. 4 Jets jersey already was for sale on the team’s Web site about an hour after the trade was announced.

I thought that was funny.

C.Hill

'97 Laser Red T-bird w/ Option 66S - 125,000 miles, stock except for 3.73s Best ET 15.6 @ 88.3
'94 Electric Red T-bird LX V-8- 212,000 miles- SOLD
2005 Ebony Black Excursion Limited 6.0 Diesel STUDDED

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."
- Henry Ford

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
- Thomas A. Edison

http://www.tailofthedragon.com <---- A test of driving ability and nerves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 01:38 AM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
im really pissed....i like favre but i like the packers.....but what really pisses me off is that i hate the jets

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 02:53 AM
6th Gear Poster

Its all about money. Money, money, money. Athletes live like kings & barrons. You are just a peon.

Mitch
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
IMO, he tarnished his image. he should have stayed retired. the pack even offered him an additional $20 million to just stay retired.

if anything, at least i will enjoy brady vs favre twice a year.

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
farve is an attention w+hore.

who cares really? he's just a big target for linebackers/safeties.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:28 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
What a Douche. Stay retired and enjoy your kids and that cadillac. Now you go to the Jets. I feel bad for Chad Pennington.

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Johnny Bling Bling

Send a message via AIM to 93 lx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativedetroiter View Post
I feel bad for Chad Pennington.
i don't. he never amounted to much.

2003 Ford Expedition: 5.4L, harley supercharger, 2.93 upper pulley, 4lb lower pulley, c&l plenum, jlp cai, LFP SBTB, FTSP, Magnaflow 3" catback, Eclipse AVN-5510, white face gauges, cobalt c2 boost gauge, ddm hid's, 379 rwhp, 465 rwtq sold 11/3/12

2009 Ford Flex Limited AWD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
i seriously think he's gonna get an injury this season. the defensive guys are gonna be aiming for him.

and didnt i read that he was going back to GB last week? wtf?

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in