friends and their lies about cars - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

friends and their lies about cars

Ok me and my wife went out with one of her friends and her boyfriend, I have met him before he seemed alright but not really a guy I could hang with for long periods of time sober. Well last time we hung out I was really a 5.0 guy and not really into 4.6' s too much, I just knew a little bit about them. Well when we were talking I was telling him about the mods I was working on for my t-bird with the 4.6, and he proceded to tell me he was getting a motor built by a reputable machinist in the area and he had spent over $20,000 on it for his mustang. I said wow are you putting a 4valve in it he said no, then I said what about a 3 valve he said no to that then I said are you supercharging it or boosting it, he said nope its all motor. I was like a n/a 2valve for $20,000 what is he smoking. I went on like I didnt think he was lieing and asked if he was stroking it or putting a 5.4 in it and he again said no. So then I asked what kind of intake he said the pi intake (we all agree its a good intake so nothing really wrong there.) I asked him about headers he is going with mac long tubes, then I asked about heads he just said stage 3 porting from brodix, ( I was like why brodix they made there bread and butter off of chevy's not fords. I still didnt call him out) Then he told me he was getting custom ground cams when I asked if he was going with the 278 comp cams, I was wondering why a custom ground cam set on a N/A engine. He then said that the machinist was going to charge him for grinding valve reliefs in his pistons that the machinist supposedly ordered and they still had valve clearance issues so he ordered another set of pistons to save on labor at a suppossed $200 per hour. Well long story short we have a 4.6 that is being built for 20,000 dollars with
custom ground cams
ross pistons with valve reliefs
stock stroke
stage 3 ported heads from brodix lol
pi intake
mac long tubes
no stand alone ignition
he also said he will be getting around 800hp and had no torque specs there is no way this can be happening is there?
also the machinist is legit he is the best in the area but he charges around 100 per hour for valve relief, I called and asked. Also if the machinist ordered the pistons and had valve to piston clearance problems wouldnt he grind the pistons for free since screwed up.
I feel this whole story was BS and when I showed him my car all he could say was it was loud and when I took him for a drive he couldnt believe the kick, I feel he is bs and he doesnt even know what he is talking about what so ever what do you guys think.

Got the only bird with Lambo Doors in Texas!
Thanks Luke!
97 Thunderbird 4.6
1992 Merc. Cougar 5.0
1995 Merc. Cougar 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Voice/Data Guru

What ever he was smoking I want some

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
Better tell him to pass before all his brain cells are diminished. NQR....

Not Quite Right...

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 08:33 PM
5th Gear Poster

Tell him to give me 20K! I'll build him an awesome engine! I would of course still have about 14K left of profit tho!

97 'Bird w/an 04 Explorer lower, 8lb AED upper, Marauder TC, 93 MK VIII DS
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I guess I can give him a little leeway on the custom ground cam because a n/a motor can use one for high revs but the intake cant hadle it he would need sheetmetal intake with all titanium valvetrain and that would still be less than 10,000. may be he got the first titanium rotating assembly ever made lol. I should have called him out but my wife elbowed me and whispered dont get cocky. I know alot about these cars but not as much as some of you guys. I just cant believe he thought I was that stupid. Oh well when I am done with my car me and my bestfriend are gonna show him what 3-4 thousand can buils and hopefully make him cry lol. See I am involve a little with some of the mustang crowd and there are only 2 guys I have ever met that are truthful about their cars. What is up with mustang owners thinking their cars are so bad ass. I mean most of the chevy guys dont act that stupid.

Thanks Luke!
97 Thunderbird 4.6
1992 Merc. Cougar 5.0
1995 Merc. Cougar 4.6
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

I know of a few people who have $10,000 into a stock displacement 4.6L 2v engine, but $20K is nuts.

Personally I would brag about how little I spent, not how much.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 10:46 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
An 800hp n/a 4.6, huh?

I....I....I can't type any more, my sides hurt!

Ok, whew. Had to take a breather.
This thread reminds me of a few people I've ran across who brag about their "400hp Boss" 302. I think they believe every 302 is a "Boss" and because theirs has chrome valve covers on it and a 4bbl, it makes 400hp.

I never confronted them about it....but offered "pink slip" runs which they would very cockily accept. (Technically I would've owned 2 Mustangs and a Fairmont back then) I asked them how come my 318 owned their "400hp Boss".......I was even pulled over on the side afterwards and had yanked a plug wire off my motor just for good effect.

When this guy gets his done, offer to take him to the track! Even if you're just spectating....you'll see his numbers for your own eyes.

Delete my account.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Back in Black

Administrator

Mustang owner, 'nuff said.

R.I.P. Joel Bender 07/30/79 - 03/26/06
R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975-2011

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6 AED 349.27RWHP/391.29RWTQ Engine Build Exterior shots
2002 Thunderbird Premium Triple Black 3.9
2015 Fusion Energi SE Luxury Magnetic Gray
*SCRAPPED* 1994 LX 4.6 NA [email protected] 236.07RWHP/286.26RWTQ
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I hope he will show up with the car, but I doubt it now because I called my buddy who paints and told him about it, well Waco is a small world my buddy is painting the saleen body kit and hood for him and he even says that he is full of it and he barely has 6000 in the car parts and body kit and paint. my buddy said he is having alot of problems paying him for the paint and he still owes on the car, so any way just another example of someone trying to live outside his means and then bragging about it. Some people, but I will run him one day but by the time I finish he will have some stupid excuse, because I may not finish my car till next year, I have a house that feel needs my attention more than a car.

Thanks Luke!
97 Thunderbird 4.6
1992 Merc. Cougar 5.0
1995 Merc. Cougar 4.6
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Oh man, I hate it when I *know* for fact I am right about stuff and my friends won't listen to me, or other times I have had people go on about some ridiculous **** that they don't even have, like one time I had a guy come into Autozone wanting something for his Porsche and he said it made like 700hp, which isn't too readily doable without a whole ****ton of cash, and I think the guy was on meth.

I especially hate JDM ricer guys who don't know what the hell they are talking about with any of their stuff and refuse to believe anything anyone who doesn't own a Honda says... for instance "OMG my LS-VTEC hybrid PWNZ IT MAKES 200HP" ... um, not it doesn't, you'll be lucky if it makes 165hp.

Or other times "NOTHING HANDLES BETTER THAN AN AE86 IT IS THE BEST OMG"... no, lots of things handle better than an AE86, and while they did have a rep for being the cheap go-fast-n-handle car a few years ago, now they are soooo overvalued-- even the crappiest, most hooned to hell automatic example will pull 3,000 dollars now, whereas before Initial D that car would barely be worth $800.

Before drifting, 240sx were cheap, too. And the people who own these things, good lord.

And don't even get me started on some of these idiots with evolutions...
My superior at work told me about when he was a Mitsu service manager and a guy who had gutted his interior and installed a rollcage wanted a rattle in his dashboard fixed under warranty... yeah, right.

Lord, it just disgusts me when people OOZE bull**** out of their mouth and expect me to just eat that **** up. If it won't get me killed, I usually like to call people out on it, but ugh.

I hate people that think they are hot **** when they don't know a ****ing thing.

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:36 AM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Congrats on having more asterisks than you know what to do with. Grow up and learn a vocabulary.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 12:47 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Oh man, I hate it when I *know* for fact I am right about stuff and my friends won't listen to me, or other times I have had people go on about some ridiculous **** that they don't even have, like one time I had a guy come into Autozone wanting something for his Porsche and he said it made like 700hp, which isn't too readily doable without a whole ****ton of cash, and I think the guy was on meth.

I especially hate JDM ricer guys who don't know what the hell they are talking about with any of their stuff and refuse to believe anything anyone who doesn't own a Honda says... for instance "OMG my LS-VTEC hybrid PWNZ IT MAKES 200HP" ... um, not it doesn't, you'll be lucky if it makes 165hp.

Or other times "NOTHING HANDLES BETTER THAN AN AE86 IT IS THE BEST OMG"... no, lots of things handle better than an AE86, and while they did have a rep for being the cheap go-fast-n-handle car a few years ago, now they are soooo overvalued-- even the crappiest, most hooned to hell automatic example will pull 3,000 dollars now, whereas before Initial D that car would barely be worth $800.

Before drifting, 240sx were cheap, too. And the people who own these things, good lord.

And don't even get me started on some of these idiots with evolutions...
My superior at work told me about when he was a Mitsu service manager and a guy who had gutted his interior and installed a rollcage wanted a rattle in his dashboard fixed under warranty... yeah, right.

Lord, it just disgusts me when people OOZE bull**** out of their mouth and expect me to just eat that **** up. If it won't get me killed, I usually like to call people out on it, but ugh.

I hate people that think they are hot **** when they don't know a ****ing thing.
Yes I know a guy like this he was in the air force and delivered pizza. He bragged about cars he didn't own. Bragged how he had fully loaded grand am, not paid for. Bragged about looking at Mazda 3's and buying one. Bragged how he would own an X5 one day. Well the sorry fool got himself kicked out of the air force, and his car was repoed and he lost his pizza delivery job. What is with fools like this. He sounds very similar to the OP's story of BS after BS. If I brag its because I can prove what I've done. I'm not a know it all car guy though but I have read and heard enough to know some crazy story like the OP's is full of holes. 20k is stupid to blow on a stang, you could have a real hot rod for 20k. How about mentioning some of the inspirations to drop that kind of money, some background personal stuff. You have to have some kind of dedication to blow that much money.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 01:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
Congrats on having more asterisks than you know what to do with. Grow up and learn a vocabulary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir William
- Absolutely no swearing. Period. Swearing is grounds for immediate banning.
me thinks he needs a lesson in reading the rules.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:23 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRattlehead View Post
me thinks he needs a lesson in reading the rules.
Authoritative Punishment!

10 LASHES!!!!

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
Authoritative Punishment!

10 LASHES!!!!
With a mod's rubber 10 inch E-dong? LMAO........

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
PostWhore

I know MANY people who talk BS about cars.

Some recent ones:

"I went to pass someone at around 45mph and I swear I spun all 4 tires in the rain" (mid 90's Chevy truck)

"Ehh, I bet my 85 Camaro 5-speed could have kept up with your Trans am"
Hmmmm, 190hp vs. 325hp. Yea, that would be close...............

I usually don’t argue unless they're persistent or their claim is just totally retarded.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in