Problems with car sale - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
Problems with car sale

Basically as I said before I traded the talon for a 93 GT

the car has no a/c he told me that as well as a very loud exhaust (no cats)

but Ive found that the odometer has been rolled back 60,000 miles

not to mention the headlights and blinkers dont work at all and he told me its a relay (called ford no such relay)

now he tells me he pulled down hard on the MFS

the car needs tires, a radio, and I have to figure out the headlights (car not driveable at night or inspectable)

The guy got my talon which I told the guy in the ad that the trans was acting wierd as well as posted in the ad clearly

A week later he calls me up saying the car doesnt move (yesterday) he wants his car back

today he calls me that he wants to do a 5 speed swap, then he wants just a rebuilt trans and that the car is driving fine that its a $90 trans solenoid

he has texted me OVER 100 times about this car and also has emailed and called me

I was very upfront to him about the car and clearly stated in the ad (which I printed) that the trans had an issue but he went through with the trade anyway

the guy cant make up his mind what he wants to do, I had to drive 90 miles each way to get parts that were supposed be included with the deal (after asking him like 5 times for them)

I know the guy beat on the car since just on the test drive he was full throttle launching it and when we decided to trade the same thing

he also told me that he traded the GT before but the car he traded had engine problems on his way home

Im trying to be as reasonable as possible with the guy ... I drove that car 60 miles during the week back and forth to work and over 200 every weekend for the past 6 months

I found him a used trans for $350 he says he doesnt want to spend the $$
do know he has a Lincoln LS, an M3 and a dodge ram pickup (blown trans also)

when he met me with the parts (90 mile trip for me 1 mile for him) he rolled up in the LS the spun the tires all the way out of the lot

I told him he can have back the 98 GT rims he gave me as well as well as the leather racing seats that are in the GT (I have the original seats)

that right there is (he told me $450 for the rims then $350) I think he said the racing seats were $500

so I will be nice and say thats $900 worth of stuff I'm willing to return to him as a good faith gesture

I had no idea that the trans was as ****ed up as he says and since I drove the car so much and never had a problem (the fluid was good too) I didnt do anything with it

I'm willing to help the guy and work something out which I think is more then reasonable since Im going to have to put hundreds into this mustang to get it to the point where it can be a daily driver

he has said he wants the mustang back, and that he wanted to switch cars back

I think thats completely unreasonable I had no idea about the trans and I know hes beating on it evidenced just by how I saw him drive away with the car as well as how he drove with the lincoln

I mean both cars have been registered , so theres no titles issued yet

I called my local PD they said unless he threatens you theres nothing they can do

This crap is got me ridiculously stressed and Im afraid to get in trouble since this guy texts and calls me so often while I am at work

I mean its an as is sale and technically I can be a prick and say its your car deal with it but Im trying to do the right thing

the other thing is he doesnt want to hear anything about the work I have to put into the mustang "its a solid car"

I have only driven the car once in the time I have had it because of not having headlights and turn signals not to mention no front license plate holder

the car has been sitting since I got it

I'm sure if I drove it I could find issues but also the battery is literally tied on from the terminals to the fender

he gave me a battery tray that was really beat up for it but I ended up ordering a new one from ford

basically to me its a 93 Mustang GT with over 150,000 miles maybe closer to 200,000 depending on my math skills with no a/c, lights , blinkers or radio that I cant drive due to this

I have been driving my blazer around and that thing is $125 to fill it

anyway

anyone have any ideas

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 04:56 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
Keep the GT.Parts are a dime a dozen over the Talon.Block him from texting and emails.You have already seen how he treats his vehicles so whos to say that he didnt go out and beat on the Talon.Move on and forget about his pansy a$$!!

The lights may be something simple like the MFS or the light switch itself, both easy fixes.The system is simple and easy to fix.Same with the radio.Just get an EVTM for a 93 and your good to go.

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

problem being is he has my address and he said he is coming to get the car

the AWD talon trans is $1500 for a rebuild installed

but like I said i found him a used one for $300 but he didnt want it

Chris
post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I also found them at the junkyard for under $500 one with 60,000 on it

Im just tired of the phone calls and texts especially when Im at work

tuesday when I'm in court for work Im going to talk to one of the attorneys

see what the real deal is

Chris
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Awaiting E-Mail Confirmation

He knew about the trans problem before he traded. If he doesn't stop harassing you call the police. If he comes and steals your Mustang, call the police. Also, sleep outside near your Mustang with a 12 gauge shotgun.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

dude you both agreed to the trade tell him as is, **** off and go to hell its his problem if he didnt inspect the car good enough prior to the trade deal its his own damn fault. tell him to **** off or your calling the cops. you shouldnt have to find a trans or give him **** for it.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Who is John Galt?

He agreed to the trade, doesn't sound like any warranty was implied or any contracts signed.

Tell him to pound sand.

"Won't work, can't be done"
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 12:38 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to crash00527
i went with chris to get this car and to get the parts the second time.

it looked like he was on some kind of drugs. he was acting like d**k one min. than cool the next. he was doing burn outs from the second he stepped foot in the car. just kept beating the engine up as if he can buy cars all day long.

personally i told chris to keep the stuff purely out of principal and to forget him. that kid made out with getting the talon even with the blown tranny.

hopefully this dousche bag of a moron guy will just talk cheap and empty threats and stop bothering chris . or he's gonna get the huge righteous hammer of justice soon......

1995 40th. Ann. Supercoupe
1 of 5,167
Black ~ AOD ~ Moonroof ~ 82K
SCCOA Member #3093
----------------------------------------------
CPL/0861/0844 USMC
Forward Observer/Fire Direction Center
Click below for Current PICS and MODS.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2466286
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Just because you haven't received the title back from DMV yet doesn't mean you don't own the car. If its registered and insured, and you are just waiting on DMV to finish processing the title, the car is still yours. If he tries to take the car back, you can report it stolen the same as if you had the title in hand.

Trying to be reasonable and help the guy is one thing, but when he starts harassing you and threatening to steal his car back, that's where all attempts to help him should stop.

Also, you're talking about 2 15-year old cars here. When you buy a 15-year old car, you run the risk that something could blow on it at any time. So he bought an older car, with a known transmission issue, he beat the snot out of it for a week, completely destroyed his transmission, and now that is somehow your problem?

Tell him the deal is done, you're keeping the car along with all the things that came with it, and what he wants to do with the talon is his own business. If he won't take a hint, do as LX-tasy said and block his cell phone number and email.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 01:47 AM
5th Gear Poster

Also since he has your address you need to park it in the garage or in the back yard, also when you park it wrap a decent size chain around the rear end and rims I.E. logging chains work. Also you need to get your self armed it will help scare him off if he drives that far. One more thing change the locks and ignition he wont be able to get crap. setup a night vision camera where the car sits and hook it to your computer and record all the time. This is all a huge hassle and these ideas all cost around 200-300 dollars that sucks, but I would tell him to screw off and you are keeping your stuff. If you are renting, its another hassle but move. I have never given my address to sell a car, now I have given my address after getting to know someone but thats it. I think you should also tell him if he steps on your property the cops will be called regardless no if ands or buts. Good luck to you.

Got the only bird with Lambo Doors in Texas!
Thanks Luke!
97 Thunderbird 4.6
1992 Merc. Cougar 5.0
1995 Merc. Cougar 4.6
post #11 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:57 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Definately change the locks and ingition; who knows, you might even solve some of the issues as you do. The camera seems a bit over the top, but maybe the chain is allright. Personally, I would inform local authorities of the problem ASAP and let this idiot know that you have done so when makes contact again. Chances are this last step is all you need. Back to the locks and ignition, I used to do this as step one after buying a used car. It's like moving into a new house, the first thing you want to do is make sure that only the real owners have access.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #12 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

i agree, you have titled the car , it is yours. tell the guy to pound sand and put the car somewhere safe

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #13 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

This is why I only meet carbuyers at a location that is NOT my house

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
post #14 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

he texted me this morning...

"this is my one phone call for today I dont want to trade the parts I want $350 for the transmission let me know or Im going to call my lawyer"

so far for the Ford

I purchased a MFS which didnt fix the headlight problem and a new battery tray and hold down (it was tied on with telephone wire around the terminals)

but the turn signals work now

I made an itemized list of all the **** needed to be fixed on the mustang
(including missing catalytic converters)

which will way go over his $350

I'm tempted not to include the cats in the price since the talon didnt have them but we'll see

Chris
post #15 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 12:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Tell him go ahead and call a lawyer. He signed the title and registered the car. He has no documents saying that you gave him any kind of warranty on the car. He has no ground to stand on, legal or otherwise. A lawyer will tell him the same thing, after taking a $500 retainer to do some research of course. He's not going to call his lawyer; he's just blowing hot air and trying to get something for nothing. What you have had to spend on the mustang and the relative worth of the 2 cars is irrelevant from a legal perspective. He could have traded you a brand new mustang for the talon, and if he had the title and signed it over to you, that's it, the deal is done and there's nothing he can do about it.

-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
post #16 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

not to mention the car is registered to his girlfriend

Chris
post #17 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 12:52 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Gcline
I have gotten involved in a situation like this too, if theres no bill of sale, then signing the titles counts as it, with no implied warranty. Thats why when I sell cars I state that its "as-is" with no implied warranty on the bill of sale.

No hibeams or anything on the mustang? Check the headlight switch and the headlight harnesses. Does the rear lights turn on? It maybe a fuse??

1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 Sport 4.6L
P.I. Intake, Mustang T/B and Upper Plenum,B&M Heavy Duty Trans Cooler, Trans Temp Gauge, A/F Ratio Gauge, K&N Cone Filter, Air Silencer Delete, 50% Front 20% Rear Tint, A&A Fiberglass GFX Kit, Xenon Front Clip, Magnaflow High Flow Cats

2001 Nissan Altima GXE Limited Edition

Daily Driver, 38mpg!

Quote:
at least Ford can pay their bills and not go on welfare like GM and Chrysler.
post #18 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Pedal Faster

Send a message via AIM to Josh_Keady
The key to the whole thing is that you divulged your uncertainty about the transmission BEFORE you sold it. If the ad that you wrote really made it clear that there could be a problem, then it's game over, he probably doesn't have a leg to stand on. If the guy really is as much of a whack job as you make him out to be, then I doubt that he even knows how to go about getting a lawyer or has the money to pay one.

Josh Keady

1994 Super Coupe ('93 5.0L swap), 1990 Tbird 3.8L, 1982 Honda CB900F, 1972 F-100 SportCustom 4x4, 1970 Chevy Custom Camper / 20
post #19 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 01:15 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

i thought you newyorkers were tough but sounds like the fags on the northside of chicago have more balls then your newyorkers. tell him to POUND SAND. he wont get nuthing from you except a harrasment suit and restraining order.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #20 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicRattlehead View Post
i thought you newyorkers were tough but sounds like the fags on the northside of chicago have more balls then your newyorkers. tell him to POUND SAND. he wont get nuthing from you except a harrasment suit and restraining order.
OH SNAP!

post #21 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 PM
5th Gear Poster

tell him to go ahead and call his lawyer, you guys traded cars straight up. i dont know how the lemon laws work in your state but here the car has to be sold for more than $1000 for the lemon law to apply so if you traded and title and bill of sale dont say anything about money theres nothing he can do, and if you have allready applied for the new title then the title is going to be in your name if he trys to come get the car it is stealing and also truspassing, hes just trying to scare you into giving him money by telling you hes callin his lawyer
post #22 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear Poster

sorry to see this happening to you. you were staight up w/ me about the 94 tbird. Still dunno why you sold that bird though. It was pretty good.

TELL HIM OFF AND TO POUND SAND is the least I'd do.
post #23 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

he texted me three more times today
1) "I will make my one phone call a day I will not take the seats or rims as payment for any such matter but I will take a transmission for $350If you dont want to do so let me know by monday so I can call my lawyer"
2)I just talked to the guy for the trans I need to get it in the next two days
3)thanks a milllion

then I got a phone call ...

coincidentally I was eating dinner near the police officer that I had speak to this guy before
so I handed him the phone..

He spoke to the guy and was like "obviously my phone call yesterday meant nothing to you Im eating dinner and you are interrupting my dinner with the text messaging and this phone call"

the guy replied ok tell him I will see him in court

on the other hand how can he bring me to court if the car is not even in his name and he didnt sign any paperwork

Chris
post #24 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcsoft View Post
sorry to see this happening to you. you were staight up w/ me about the 94 tbird. Still dunno why you sold that bird though. It was pretty good.

TELL HIM OFF AND TO POUND SAND is the least I'd do.
yea that car was good just a small paint issue

Chris
post #25 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

so far 2 texts this morning

"I want the seats stop hiding behind your fake cop friend im on the way to the court house right now your getting sued among other things and he added my address"

"$2500 to rebuild so that what Im going to sue you for see you in court fagot" he spelled faggot wrong

the private value of the car (talon)

Good
$3,190

Fair
$2,660

private party of the mustang ( put 180,000 miles the mileage is prob close to that its tmu )

Excellent
$2,885

Good
$2,485

Fair
$2,050

so who is ahead on this deal

Chris

Last edited by pnyklr; 08-25-2008 at 09:16 AM.
post #26 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:28 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Dude, save the texts! If this somehow actually makes it to court (which I would definately doubt), those texts might be admissable to show his character. I'm no expert on the legal system, but harrassing and threatening someone does nothing for your rights or case as far as I know.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #27 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I havent deleted any texts he hasnt made a specific threat he just texted me now

"when can i pick up the seats and rims so we can finalize this"

to end it I'll give him the stuff and I will have a document for him to sign stating all this

Chris
post #28 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 AM
5th Gear Poster

yeah dont give him crap, your done with him now so no more deals. Yeah I admit all that stuff may be over the top but the night vision camera that hooks to a computer probably would cost less than a chain that cant be cut, my dad bought a camera for 150 it worked great and it caught the punks who kept stealing the a/c for copper, they hit it at night time and it was enough to press charges and take em to court. I say that you got screwed harder than he did and to let him take you to court, you just need to stand your ground, see he thinks he can run you over now that you were trying to make things right. Just stand your ground and say no! I had dealings with 2 birds I bought a 94 sc once with a blown out fuse box I fixed that and it still had no a/c, blown out transmission, and a ignition problem. Needless to say he did not divulge all of this he said the fuse box just burned up and everything worked fine before. I didnt call him or get mad cause of course I paid 800.00 for it and knew the supercharger and interior was worth that. Then I bought a 97 4.6 from paintme and it went perfect he was very honest and upstanding I feel I screwed him with all the stuff I got in the deal any way that is just the chance you take when but a car used it is best to always have a notary public sign a bill of sale, but if you dont or cant get that, most states have a legal bill of sale you can get at the title office make sure you use that next time. Also the as is thing that is just normal in a used car sell there is never a warranty implied so you should be in the clear

Thanks Luke!
97 Thunderbird 4.6
1992 Merc. Cougar 5.0
1995 Merc. Cougar 4.6
post #29 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

even though he doesnt have a leg to stand on. i would docoument everything and consult a lawyer yourself. they wont usually charge to find out if you have a case.

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #30 of 90 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 AM
5th Gear Poster

dont give him Crap! you are giving in to him at it wont end it I promise you. he will keep this up.

Thanks Luke!
97 Thunderbird 4.6
1992 Merc. Cougar 5.0
1995 Merc. Cougar 4.6

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in