Send a message via MSN to alasich
cougar has died, time for a new car

so, i'm looking around for a new car, what do you guys think of these choices

2002 Mazda Protege 5
http://www.canadatrader.com/result/d...px?ID=32205260

or how about a

2004 Chevrolet Optra 5
http://www.rosetownmainline.net/used...ge=2&vi=450461

They will give me 1000-1500 for the cougar for the optra.

whats your thoughts?

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

Muffler removal, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 205/75/R15 Trail Rated Tires, Rear Chrome Removal, Front Fog Lights, Digital Dash Mod, New AOD Transmission with Shift Kit, Air Silencer Delete

~newly painter front and back bumper and side mirrors. Done by me, and quite proud of it!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

none of the above?

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

but why not? what would you suggest. gas is mighty expensive here, so it needs to be something small, and unless i get another cougar/thunderbird. I'm not going to like the car anyways

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

Muffler removal, K&N Drop In Air Filter, 205/75/R15 Trail Rated Tires, Rear Chrome Removal, Front Fog Lights, Digital Dash Mod, New AOD Transmission with Shift Kit, Air Silencer Delete

~newly painter front and back bumper and side mirrors. Done by me, and quite proud of it!~
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 04:37 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Dude fix your car and learn how at the same time. Its what the board is here for. And I'd choose none of the above as well. Think of the depreciation you're eating(its strait lost money) when you buy something newer.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

i would fix the car, but it's far to gone. Every week something breaks down... body is rusted out, suspension is gone, and the rear end is about to blow. If i had a 4.6L i would fix it and keep it. But it's just a LS with the 3.8, so it's not really worth it. Engine and tranny are awesome. but the rest is slowly going down hill...

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 05:37 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Pay now or pay later the solution is you and your brain. Learn to do the work either on this car or another but don't pay a dealer, its not solving the problem. It takes time and I know not enough has the luxury but DIY is the only way to go. Get another old car and fix it up right. Think of the extra insurance cost over gas. I managed to cut my insurance down to 28 bux a month because I drive safe and I'm 28. Now if I had chosen to driven a newish car, the tags and insurance would go up high enough to buy another car every 2 years. AZ is nasty high insurance and tags with newer car/trucks and thief friendly models. The t-bird is rated really low on insurance and tags. Get another similar bird and fix it up is what I'd do. And swap out the engine and trans into it. Making payments is worse just trust me on that. Remember pay now or pay later, at least DIY learns you something you can take away to another car and another etc.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 05:53 PM
PostWhore

I have to agree with splattered. I was going to go for buying a newer car but instead I'm going to take the money I would have put into paying for insurance and a car and I'm putting it into building a sweet suspension. I'd say if you really like your car but want something better then sell yours (or junk it, whatever works best) and try to find one with recently rebuilt suspension. Same insurance rate, no payments, and a decent suspension too. Fuel mileage in these cars isn't too bad. Especially being that they are mid-size coupes. The fuel mileage between the v6 and the v8 isn't much different either, so definitely go for a 4.6 car.

I'm Mister_T and I approve this message.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

ya. I would go for a 4.6 if there were some for sale around here. but that pretty much leaves my 3.8 engine and tranny to garbage. And to have mine to be any use, it would have to be a 89 or 90 cougar or thunderbird since it's a aod tranny. and the 3.8's changed year to year. If i could get a 97 cougar for cheap (cheapest one i found was 6k) i would probably snatch it up. But dont forget gas prices are much higher here, and are only going up. But with my back problems i need a nicer riding car.

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:07 PM
PostWhore

The 5.0 cars used the same transmission minus small details. Those were in MN12s from 91-93

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by alasich View Post
but why not? what would you suggest. gas is mighty expensive here, so it needs to be something small, and unless i get another cougar/thunderbird. I'm not going to like the car anyways
gas is expensive and a car payment isnt?

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin turbo 281 View Post
gas is expensive and a car payment isnt?
it is also. But car payments stop after a while, while gas just keeps going up and up. Plus then i would have a nicer car. something i can say is mine. But i still love my cougar. and really want to keep it

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:48 PM
PostWhore

so are you wanting to maybe keep the cougar and work on it while driving a nice newer car around?

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

i would do that mister_t. But the 1500 i could get for it would knock alot of car payments. What i want to do is find a nice 1996 1997 and just drive that all the time. I love the front ends on those

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Throw the cougar away and get a new cougar/bird/mark.

That's what I did the last two times. I am on my third one (none of the three cost me more than $1500) and it's the nicest one yet, and I have a very nice stash of parts for it should anything ever go wrong.

Given that you are in canada, might I suggest Suzuki SX4 sport crossover? 5MT, 4WD, not a subaru, good fuel econ, and under $16k USD to join the party.

I might suggest just buying a thunderbird... Porkchop down here is selling his aluminum-PI engined, SCT tuned, j-modded, rust-free 97 thunderbird for 2700. You'd just have to head down to SoCal to get it! XD

But in all seriousness consider a 4wd Suzuki or Subaru... unless it doesn't snow in your part of canada.

96 Laser Red 4.6L - Custom
Custom Nascar-Inspired Bodykit - 55* Rear Spoiler - J-modded Trans - 80mm MAF - One-Off Diablosport Chipmaster Revolution Chip/Tune W/Toggle - ScanGaugeII Diagnostics & Data Readout - PBR Brakes - Drilled/Slotted Rotors - SC Wheels & Springs - Falken Tires - KYB GR-1 Shocks/Struts - FSTB - RSTB - RTLB - LECB - 60/40 Split Rear - SC Seats - SC Vac/Boost Gauge
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-05-2008, 11:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
yea.... with an undocumented engine swap.... those are always fun come registration time in select states.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 12:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
too many miles ( i guess its miles) on the optra

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to pnyklr Send a message via Yahoo to pnyklr
rosetown has an intrigue not that bad

Chris
87 GN,94 Prizm,05 Suburban Z71
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 01:06 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
yea.... with an undocumented engine swap.... those are always fun come registration time in select states.
saskatchewan isnt in the US

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr View Post
too many miles ( i guess its miles) on the optra
it's actually kilometers, not miles.

and since they actually just closed down my call center... time for a new job, and i'm definatly not buying another car until i have another job

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

http://www.usedregina.com/classified-ad/5876518

.... ok, might have to just go for a new cougar, hahaha car is about 2.5 hours away from me

thoughts?

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 05:57 PM
PostWhore

For that much you could fly here to Cincinnati, pick one up for about 1800 and drive it back and still spend 3K less. That is a phat ass car though.

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2008, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

well, i'm going to offer less. i was thinking 4.5k. i of course would like opinions on it. And i could fly their and drive one up, but then i need an inspection done to register it, and all in all it would probably still cost the same.

Black 3.8L Cougar LS

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ben_cline Send a message via MSN to ben_cline Send a message via Yahoo to ben_cline
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
I might suggest just buying a thunderbird... Porkchop down here is selling his aluminum-PI engined, SCT tuned, j-modded, rust-free 97 thunderbird for 2700. You'd just have to head down to SoCal to get it! XD
I've got $2k right now and looking for a car...argh. That price wouldn't have anything to do with his oil leak around the block, would it? (Saw his video with Daft Punk's "Around the World" playing) I can't even find an MN12 up here. Oh, wait, there's this one:

http://montana.craigslist.org/cto/824628347.html

or this one:

http://montana.craigslist.org/cto/811719090.html

They're few and far between. Really sad because I've wanted another one for a while. I could pretty much only get something nice for cheaper if I drive to Idaho.

I personally wouldn't spend more than $5k USD on a car. If I wanted a new car, I would rather go buy a rebuilt classic. Keep it maintained and have it increase in value instead of a $20k car that will depreciate $15k or more in 10 years.

Also, check out CraigsList. It works for Canada, too!

Benjamin' 07/30/82 Christian MySpace CarDomain
Celica and Chevy 1500 are sold for parts. Now I'm left with the broken Buick and my '98 Dakota.
Bedroom: Pioneer VSX23, DefTech BP6s (front) ProCenter 2000, Mirage Omni 350s, 10" Kicker L7 pushed by PExpress plate amp, XBox 360, PS3, 50" LG 3D plasma.

Last edited by ben_cline; 09-10-2008 at 02:49 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in