2000 Ford Taurus Problems - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

2000 Ford Taurus Problems

2000 Ford Taurus 3.0 DOHC

Yesterday when leaving work my car developed a very big exhaust leak, as I was pulling out of the parking space the rpm's dropped and the engine shutoff. Later that night the whole Cat. converter assembly ended up falling of the car while doing 65 down the highway (Scared the crap out of me lol) Today I dropped the car off to the muffler shop (I dont do exhaust work lol) and they replaced the missing exhuast section. But the rpm problem still persists. I had six codes ( a couple lean condition codes, a couple faulty 02 sensor codes and one Evap leak code) Tomorrow I'll see which codes come back. Any ideas on what could cause the idling issue?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 07:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Check for vacuum leaks - EVAP to start with since it did throw that code which is unrelated to the exhaust/O2 sensors.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 08:25 PM
PostWhore

What are the exact codes, in order? Fix them in order.... You weren't totally clear, did they replace the converter with a section of pipe or with a converter?

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96PRLBRD View Post
What are the exact codes, in order? Fix them in order.... You weren't totally clear, did they replace the converter with a section of pipe or with a converter?
With a new direct fit converter, I dont remember the exact codes, the only one that really stuck out was the evap leak, The O2 sensor codes and lean condition made sense because there was no exhaust making its way to the downstream o2 sensor. Tomorrow I'll see which codes come back.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 09:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
EVAP code has nothing to do with your exhaust .. but all of the others could be caused by the exhaust leak. Youre on the right track .. clear the codes, see which ones come back since you fixed the exhaust. I cant imagine how that would happen, but if thats the condition of your exhaust I wonder about the rest of the car ...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Drove it today, no check engine light, but when I plugged the scanner in I only got 1 code P0300
"Cylinder Misfire Detected Random Cylinders"

Update:

While looking through the engine bay i noticed the vacuum hose going from the rear valve cover to the intake tube was off. I plugged it back in and now the car is running even worse. I am now getting a P0356 Ignition Coil F malfunction.

Last edited by ricklovin93; 11-30-2013 at 02:42 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklovin93 View Post
Drove it today, no check engine light, but when I plugged the scanner in I only got 1 code P0300
"Cylinder Misfire Detected Random Cylinders"

Update:

While looking through the engine bay i noticed the vacuum hose going from the rear valve cover to the intake tube was off. I plugged it back in and now the car is running even worse. I am now getting a P0356 Ignition Coil F malfunction.
Thats usually a fault for the primary/secondary circuit on the ignition coil .. possibly cylinder number 6. I thought the 2000 taurus 3.0 had plug wires and a single coil pack .. ignition driver module is in the PCM. Random misfire could be caused a lot of things, but two ignition codes in a row I would be double checking the wires/plugs/coil pack ..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Thats usually a fault for the primary/secondary circuit on the ignition coil .. possibly cylinder number 6. I thought the 2000 taurus 3.0 had plug wires and a single coil pack .. ignition driver module is in the PCM. Random misfire could be caused a lot of things, but two ignition codes in a row I would be double checking the wires/plugs/coil pack ..
The 3.0 OHV had a single coil pack. the dohv engine has C.O.P I switched the #6 coil with the #4 coil and ended up getting a P0354 (coil d (4) malfunction), I now have the coils in their original spot, so hopefully I get another P0356 to confirm that the one coil is crapped out.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
The 3.0 OHV had a single coil pack. the dohv engine has C.O.P I switched the #6 coil with the #4 coil and ended up getting a P0354 (coil d (4) malfunction), I now have the coils in their original spot, so hopefully I get another P0356 to confirm that the one coil is crapped out.
Switching the #6 and #4 and then getting the P0354 pretty much confirmed your COP is bad and would be a reason for it to run rough.

Thanks for the update ... all of the 2000 Taurus I have worked on were SOHC so i wasnt completely sure on the ignition system on yours.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

After driving around some i have the following codes:

P0171: System Too Lean Bank 1
P0174: System Too Lean Bank 2
P0136: O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2
P1131: Lack Of HO2S Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean
P1151: Lack Of HO2S21 Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean

Still waiting for that P0356 to confirm a bad coil

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 08:15 PM
Moderator &amp;amp; Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
You likely have an exhaust leak and intake leak. Just how that one vacuum line was unplugged, imagine how many more there could be like that? Something to think about because we can't be there to hold your head and make you look in any one particular spot. Unless you're gonna provide clear snapshots of everything you have physically checked, you're gonna chase your tail. You haven't done any actual work aside from plugging that one hose back up. Have you jacked up the car and actually taken a look with a very bright light armed with sockets, ratchets, wrenches, etc? The codes lead to many places and unless you take the time to get to know your vehicle, trying to get an online diagnosis might prove futile. Go get your hands dirty.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

No exhaust leaks, an intake leak could be possible but this feels like a misfire, I put new plugs in, at least two of the coils (including the one i suspect to be failing) have decent sized cracks, My gut tells me that at least one coil is at fault, but the o2 sensor and lean codes are throwing me off, Ive been digging under the hood for quite a while and everything seems normal, vacuum hoses seem to be in decent shape, no broken wires, I plan on hopping under the car tommorow to make sure the o2 sensors are not damaged. The only way to test the coils (that I know Of) is to disconnect a coil at a time and whichever one does not effect the operation of the engine is bad.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
After driving around some i have the following codes:

P0171: System Too Lean Bank 1
P0174: System Too Lean Bank 2
P0136: O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2
P1131: Lack Of HO2S Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean
P1151: Lack Of HO2S21 Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean

Still waiting for that P0356 to confirm a bad coil
Hmm .. so how many codes did you have before the exhaust fell off ???

Okay .. lets sort this out. The P0356 is a bad coil on cylinder #6 - a misfire .. this condition may or may not turn off the fuel injector to that cylinder. If it turned off the injector, you get the misfire plus it would run a little leaner on that side of the engine. If the injector is still pulsing, you get a rich reading which leans out the other cylinders - I think your injector is turned off .. "false lean". But this would typically one affect the bank that #6 is on which would be P0174 and P0151.

The P0136 is a post cat sensor, its a circuit malfunction would could be the sensor itself, or its just reading lean all the time .. these circuit malfunctions tend to be vague and can be any number of things from a sensor being unplugged, bad, the wiring, or the PCM itself.

Since you have P0171 and P0174 + the P1131 and P1151, these all indicate a lean condition which would be the result of an intake leak after the MAF sensor , up to the central point before the go between the two banks (ie. not an inake gasket leak at the heads, upstream at a central point that feeds both banks ) .. an exhaust leak would have to be on BOTH sides of the engine - its more likely an intake leak, but it can ALSO be a MAF sensor that is dirty / failed, giving your engine a false reading on the actual air entering the engine which affects the fuel trims .. your fuel trims are above 30% which results in the 4 codes, is trying to compensate with extra fuel but no change on the o2 sensors.

So either you have an intake leak, bad MAF sensor, or your primary o2 sensors both arent reading on the PCM ( wiring disconnected, or fried .. hard to say since your exhaust did fall off recently )
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

I think i found the problem, the rubber piece of hosing that connect the pcv valve to the plastic pcv hose has found a way to increase in diameter, its an extremely loose fit, just slides over it without any pressure. I ended up buying the whole pcv hose assembly (motorcraft), pcv valve, and a new coil, from rock auto. i guess the pcv hoses are a big problem on these cars.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2013, 11:28 AM
6th Gear Poster

My mom has an '01.

Don't ya just love those brittle washer fluid hoses?

Use a tool, don't be one...

-Mark

1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6L
1970 Torino GT 351C 4V

...................................GT
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\..|||||
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Moderator &amp;amp; Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
I think i found the problem, the rubber piece of hosing that connect the pcv valve to the plastic pcv hose has found a way to increase in diameter, its an extremely loose fit, just slides over it without any pressure. I ended up buying the whole pcv hose assembly (motorcraft), pcv valve, and a new coil, from rock auto. i guess the pcv hoses are a big problem on these cars.
so did that fix the issue once and for all?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in