Here comes the Cold(er) Air! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Here comes the Cold(er) Air!

Quote:
The frigid air is coming from the North Pole and — due to a jet stream — will be intense and mobile, Ryan Maue, a meteorologist for Weather Bell, told The Associated Press. Forecasters said record lows could be eclipsed.

"All the ingredients are there for a near-record or historic cold outbreak," Maue said. "If you're under 40, you've not seen this stuff before."
Because of the winds, “It may feel as cold as negaticve 50 to negative 60 on Sunday night over sections of the north-central states," the National Weather Service said...

Read More
Are you ready for the deep freeze? Coldest air in 20 years to hit the midsection of the country. They're calling for 10 year record lows in the Charlotte area on Tuesday night.

But, it'll be a balmy 60°F here in Charlotte next Sunday for the Panthers vs. 49ers game.

If you've got some cold stories or picks to share let's see whatcha got.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-06-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:35 AM
PostWhore

Not jealous at all of your cold weather!

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #3 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 AM
Voice/Data Guru

It might be cold but its nothing to compare to the winter of 1983 here in the Carolina.

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #4 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well we are upto 10 right now though the 25mph winds still keeping wind chill below 0. Glad I added some antifreeze to the SC.

I know you guys like Oxman in the frozen north have better equipment for this than I do but man its cold.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #5 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 06:26 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
We had rain last night change over to snow as the temps froze. A lovely sheet of ice covering everything - and by tonight it's going to be so cold that salt doesn't melt the ice/snow on the roads.

I don't need to step outside the house though - if all the schools I work for are closed (which they are today and likely will be tomorrow as well - possibly Wed. too) my company tells me to "stay home and work remotely".

The Cougar is covered with a sheet of ice at the moment - the T-bird couldn't get a garage spot this year but it's under two car covers in my parents' driveway, safe from all the nasties.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 01-06-2014 at 07:10 AM.
post #6 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
It should be interesting here in NJ. Friday we had a foot of snow, today it is 50 and raining so all the snow will melt, and then tonight it is dropping down to 9, so all that rain and melted snow will make a nice sheet of ice on everything, so tomorrow morning's commute will be interesting to say the least.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
It might be cold but its nothing to compare to the winter of 1983 here in the Carolina.
If you're talking about a cold year you might be thinking of 1985 not 1983 Darren. 1983 was a big year for snow not cold.

There's a great historical list of NC weather events that I found here: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/rah/events/

Here's the record setting day from 1985.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 01-06-2014 at 08:17 AM.
post #8 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Mostly the COLD Ron , Our family was at grandpa's that eve. Temp 0, the back storm door to the kitchen was a solid sheet of ice from the condensation on it We got back home to the house we were RENTING and no water (Hmmm) after they thawed had around 15 busted pipe's. My uncle's toilet froze and was laying busted in the floor lol . We both heated with wood at the time , had the heat on, but to low it was . I had just started in telecom then and was a full time splicer , no ground work could be done for many days.

Here is a story .
1983: “The Coldest Christmas Ever”

Whether or not you’re dreaming of a white Christmas this year, chances are you’d rather do without sub-zero temperatures on the big day. With January and February traditionally bringing the coldest temperatures of the year, Christmas day tends to be relatively mild in much of the country. In fact, the much-heralded white Christmas is little more than a pipe dream for the vast majority of the continental U.S.

But in 1983, the nation’s cold weather lovers got a little more than they bargained for. Overall, the 1980s dished out some of the coldest Decembers on record, but 1983 was king of them all, with 70% of the month colder than average over much of the country.

On Christmas Eve and Christmas day of that year, more than 125 cities east of the Rockies broke temperature records for the day, and 34 hit the record cold temperatures for the entire month of December. These punishing tempertures, which dipped below zero in many areas, were also accompanied by brutal, stinging winds. In addition, heavy snow covered the ground from the Pacific Northwest through the Great Plains and Northern Appalachians.

Havre, Mont., dipped to a numbing -50°F. Chicago, where high temperatures never went higher than −10° F during the several days leading up to Christmas, reached a low of -25° F. In Sioux Falls, S.D., temperatures dropped below 0° F on December 15 and remained there for more than nine days, dropping to −23 °F over Christmas. The area also saw 60 mph winds, which brought wind chills of −70 °F. The average temperature in Minneapolis for the month of 3.7° F, the coldest on record for the city. The barometric pressure at Miles City, Mont. reached 31.42 inches, a record for the U.S. Even normally balmy Huntsville, Ala., plunged down to -1° F, while Galveston, Texas, dipped to a frosty 14° F.

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/weathe...hristmas-ever/

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips

post #9 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 AM
PostWhore

It was -33 C (-27F), -51 C (-59F) with the windchill here yesterday. FFFFFFKKKK that was cold.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX - 80K miles, 4.6L Auto, 2nd owner
Mostly stock except for tint, stereo, SC ground effects, and wheels/tires
--> My most recent pics <--
I'm documenting some of my MN12 stuff @ MN12Tech
- Door Hinge/Bushing Replacement
- Ford 4.6L Vacuum Hose Replacement How-To
- T-Bird DIY Cheap Headlight Restoration
- Multifunction Switch Replacement
- How To Bleed Teves ABS Brakes
- How To Remove Front Plate Bracket
post #10 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

It was -18° here this morning up to a balmy -15°f right now.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #11 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:35 PM
̇

Garage
Yeah..It's been pretty bad this last couple of days..We still had about a foot of snow on the ground from the snowfall a few days ago..

Then last night night we got another foot of snow..I went into work since my job is very close to home..

I was surprised to see only three of us made it in on my shift in my department..

So we worked for a couple hours, and they sent everyone home..There has been a class 3 Snow Emergency going on for the past couple of days here..

After I got home the snow turned to a sleet/snow mix putting a nice hard shell on everything, and freezing the doors shut on my truck..

We're sitting about the same as Vic right night temperature wise about -15°f right now with over 2 feet of snow..

I get to go out there later, and shovel snow..

On the bright side it's supped to get into the high 30's later this week..Hopefully..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #12 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Yea it's pretty cold up here. My outside gauge is saying -22. All the schools are closed today as well as department stores and grocery stores. The news is even saying don't take the walk to the mailbox to get your mail. It would suck if the power went out for some people.

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #13 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.weathersafety.ohio.gov/snowemergencyclassifications.aspx
LEVEL 1: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be icy. Motorists are urged to drive very cautiously.

LEVEL 2: Roadways are hazardous with blowing and drifting snow. Roads may also be very icy. Only those who feel it is necessary to drive should be out on the roads. Contact your employer to see if you should report to work. Motorists should use extreme caution.

LEVEL 3: All roadways are closed to non-emergency personnel. No one should be driving during these conditions unless it is absolutely necessary to travel or a personal emergency exists. All employees should contact their employer to see if they should report to work. Those traveling on the roads may subject themselves to arrest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
There has been a class 3 Snow Emergency going on for the past couple of days here..
You sure it's not a class 2? Class 3 is nobody except emergency personnel. You got a lot more snow from yesterdays's storm than we did over here. We got mostly rain which melted away probably half the snow we had from last week. Lake effect stuff is still coming down in brief spells. You can literally see steam rolling off the lake as far as the eye can see - even with the water being some 34-35 degrees (and it in fact being frozen for a few hundred feet beyond the shoreline). Here's the view out our third floor window:

Took me about 25 minutes to scrape all the ice and snow off the windows of the Cougar this morning. I'm not going anywhere but I wanted to clear the nasty stuff off the car while it was "better" out than it's going to be tomorrow; in case I do need to go somewhere I can just hop in and go.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 01-06-2014 at 02:50 PM.
post #14 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:44 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
You sure it's not a class 2? Class 3 is nobody except emergency personnel.
Yeah..Even most of surrounding counties were under a class 3 yesterday..

That might have lowered to a class 2 today..I'll have to check the weather again..

I'm getting ready to break out the ski mask, and head outside..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #15 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
Yea it's pretty cold up here. My outside gauge is saying -22. All the schools are closed today as well as department stores and grocery stores. The news is even saying don't take the walk to the mailbox to get your mail. It would suck if the power went out for some people.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h7...psd143862e.jpg
Cool Thermometer Josh. I don't think I've ever seen one that goes that low. They must be pretty commonplace in the stores up there though due to the extreme temps you guys see.

post #16 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 03:50 PM
Lightly Seasoned

Garage
Hope everybody stays safe and warm in this crazy weather, We in So Cal are under red flag warnings, Which mean conditions are right for forest fires
post #17 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:13 PM
̇

Garage
Still under a Level 3 Snow Emergency..

I just noticed watching the news..The company I work for has shut down as well..I'm not supposed to report back to work until Tuesday..

Temperature's dropping down to -20 tonight..With the wind chill..More like -40..

Wow!

Rayo..

post #18 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 04:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Well the SC didn't like the cold at all. Three tries to get it to start and felt like have flat tires once got on the asphalt (and I run a all season tire), plus all kinds of new noises.

Looks like we are coming out of it here got up 13F and winds are slowing down to 15mph. 25F tomorrow and above freezing on Wednesday.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #19 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shumard View Post
Hope everybody stays safe and warm in this crazy weather, We in So Cal are under red flag warnings, Which mean conditions are right for forest fires
LOL yes .. it is still in the upper 60's here in Nor-cal.
post #20 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Cold , Cold , Cold here in Michigan, very few signs of global warming here. T-bird is tucked away with a dust cover and a trickle charger.
post #21 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Down to -11 (wind chill -40) so far. Not looking forward to being sent out to work tomorrow.

-Brandon

post #22 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Where will you be the day after tomorrow?

Sorry ... I couldn't resist.

post #23 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
Here's another cool (no pun intended) view that I found of this weather phenomenon.

post #24 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 08:55 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
Yeah I remember that Christmas. I had a '70 Olds 98 with a bad heater core. Got down to five degrees. The fog on the inside of the windshield would freeze. Not fun! Only busted heater core I ever had. (till I replaced two of 'em in the 96 bird)

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #25 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Map showing the cool front coming thru here now 35 degree temp drop today so far and wind a howling.

Steamer , Glad someone else remembers that, I had a 1 year old Mustang GT and had to buy a new battery for it the next day. Coldest air I have ever been in.

post #26 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 09:45 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage

Yeah, it's cold. Accuweather's "RealFeel" here is down to -50.

-Brandon

post #27 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Moderator &amp;amp; Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Where will you be the day after tomorrow?

Sorry ... I couldn't resist.
YOU CAN'T BURN BOOKS!!!!!

Save the math and physics books 'til the very end until they're absolutely necessary! Oh the humanity!
post #28 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Still -11 here going to -13 so they say.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

post #29 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

Super Moderator

Garage
+14°F here right now. We'll bottom out around +12 or 13°F tonight.

You can have that sub-zero stuff!

post #30 of 122 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:05 AM
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner

Thankfully, we have the ocean here to keep the temp somewhat up. Still supposed to get down to 15F though. Cold enough for me, that's for sure.

Michael M. ASE P2 Automobile Parts Specialist.

1996 Thunderbird LX. Gone, but not forgotten Oct 1995-March 24 2016 Trick Flow headded, E85 guzzling beast.

1985 Mustang GT. modified stock Holley 4180C, Weiand Street Warrior intake manifold, equal length headers, true dual exhaust, 5 speed, 3.55:1 8.8'' rear end, Ford Racing 10.5" clutch.

1998 Mustang GT premium. Trans Go shift kit, Bassani catted x-pipe, PI heads, cams, intake swap, Accufab elbow, SCT Xcal 4 tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Maximum Motorsports Caster/camber plates, fat tires. Banging audio system.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in