Any Whiskey Drinkers? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Any Whiskey Drinkers?

I'll be 21 in a little over a week. I'd like my first alcoholic beverage to be a glass of whiskey. I dont want to go crazy doing shots or anything like that. Just a nice sipping whiskey. Any tips/recommendations?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 08:39 AM
4th Gear Poster

You can NEVER go wrong with Jameson Irish Whiskey. Especially mixed with ginger ale.

GottaHaveHart

No. Nitrous is for fags. It's got cubic inches.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 09:23 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklovin93 View Post
I'll be 21 in a little over a week. I'd like my first alcoholic beverage to be a glass of whiskey.
You mean your first legal alcoholic beverage! lol, j/k!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 10:48 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to BRONCONUT
I like bourbon of all sorts really. I was always a fan of Makers Mark and Wild Turkey, here anymore I like the American Honey.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Baby Huey

Don't know if its made it up your way yet but i've been quite fond of a texas spirit whiskey called Rebecca Creek, really good

Jim

1995 Thunderbird LX: Vortech S-Trim(12psi), Forged PI 4.6, T-45, SCT Tune, Eibach Pro-kit, Magnaflow DI/DO Exhaust, 3.73 TL, and 17" Cobras

1995 Thunderbird SC: Bone Stock
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:33 PM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Crown Royal Reserve.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 12:55 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Honey Jack is pretty good. But, if I were you, I'd go for a Johnny Walker Black Label or the Crown that Rick mentioned.

Don't over do it if you're not used to drinking. Those whiskey hangovers can be a B!tch! You've got the rest of you life to sample all the different liquors don't try to do it all in one or two nights.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:10 PM
4th Gear Poster

Whiskey Vs. Scotch Vs. Bourbon

If you were curious what the differences were.

I was on a whiskey kick a couple winters ago. Everyone will recommend something different and how it should be drunk.

I enjoyed: Gentlemen Jack and GlenLivet 12 the most. If I couldn't find either of those I would settle(happily) for Maker's Mark. A single ice cube or a splash of water is the only proper way to drink them IMO.

Wild Turkey was brutal to sip but as you see some will like it, not my thing.

My wife likes using honey whiskey to make Hot Totties, the season for the those is over though. I can't touch honey whiskey, too sweet and syrupy for me.

There is also Jack & Coke but that's too sweet to drink a lot of which makes Jameson and ginger ale sound like a good alternative.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 03:03 PM
pendejo

Whiskey... I buy that about once a year, once I've forgotten about the last experience.
I usually just pick up the cheapest half gallon in the store. And some ginger beer or ginger ale for mix. Back in Canada I used to buy Royal Reserve because it came with a sticker...

I like Crown Royal, but not the price tag, I think Jameson tastes good too, but I'm really not a whiskey drinker and besides I'm a cheap SOB who shops by alcohol content vs price.

"Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there.
He wasn't there again today,
I wish, I wish he'd go away..."
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 04:10 PM
Beer and Cheese

Garage
Does Jack and Coke count? I'm more of a beer drinker, but every once and a while I'll change it up.

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
My thoughts:
* Crown is a bit sweet; I think it works better as a crown and coke than neat.

* Jameson is a easy drinking whiskey -- even straight. This is what my friends and I take camping.

* For value bourbons, I like Bulleit. It's easy drinking like Jameson and not too expensive. Bulleit's Rye bourbon also has a good flavor.

* Maker's Mark: I remember drinking this a lot in college but their whole "we are watering down our whiskey to meet demand" and then "you need to thank us because we went back to the old proof level" was a bunch of marketing BS to me. I wasn't impressed
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whiskey-...estores-proof/

* Johnny Walker: my asian relatives love this stuff. I have no idea why. It's nothing special. I personally think is the Bose of the Scotch world (big on marketing and branding)

* Jack Daniels: bourbon. Nothing special compared to Bulleit or Maker's Mark.

* Jim Beam, Evan Williams: Jack's poor relations.

* I'm personally not a fan of super "woody" or "peaty" tasting whiskeys or scotches. IMO, if I really wanted to drink something that tasted like a peat bog or wood ("laphroaig", "glenlivet", etc), I'd just go to a swamp or chew on a table. The most flavorful scotch I actually found I liked was Belvenie. The wood taste isn't overpowering and a few drops of water really opens up the flavor.

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 05:11 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I grew up on Jack Daniels, but I notice I seem to like the Crown a lot more now.

The Crown Reserve is wonderful; nice to sip.

I don't mix much anymore; I like to taste my liquor.

I seem to be trending toward things like Hennessy or some others these days.

I ended up doing shots of tang and Skyy vodka with an incredible girl after violent video games last weekend; I can't recommend the Tang at all, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 12:14 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
As a drinker of Irish heritage I would also mention Jameson as a superb straight whiskey. However there are multiple vintages and they are amazing as well. Gentleman's Jack as mentioned is also good however it is technically a bourbon. Johnnie walker is good too and also comes in many flavorful vintages, I can't drink red, black is good, double black is also good, green is great, gold is better, and blue is best. In my opinion. I prefer a good aged whiskey if I'm drinking it straight. Also if you must drink it cold, no more then 2 cubes of ice, preferably a whiskey ice ball (if available).

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 01:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I just got back from Dublin 2 weeks ago and got a bottle of Jameson Irish whiskey at their factory! be jealous

Guinness is more my thing. And yes it's not so good here in the states but good god in Ireland it is amazing. I would have brought back a barrel of that if I could..

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:48 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Jack Daniels, Crown Royal Reserve, are popular around here. I like both. Johnny Walker Black label is good too.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:29 PM
4th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

I like Wellers 107 proof
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
My thoughts:
* Crown is a bit sweet; I think it works better as a crown and coke than neat.

* Jameson is a easy drinking whiskey -- even straight. This is what my friends and I take camping.

* For value bourbons, I like Bulleit. It's easy drinking like Jameson and not too expensive. Bulleit's Rye bourbon also has a good flavor.

* Maker's Mark: I remember drinking this a lot in college but their whole "we are watering down our whiskey to meet demand" and then "you need to thank us because we went back to the old proof level" was a bunch of marketing BS to me. I wasn't impressed
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/whiskey-...estores-proof/

* Johnny Walker: my asian relatives love this stuff. I have no idea why. It's nothing special. I personally think is the Bose of the Scotch world (big on marketing and branding)

* Jack Daniels: bourbon. Nothing special compared to Bulleit or Maker's Mark.

* Jim Beam, Evan Williams: Jack's poor relations.

* I'm personally not a fan of super "woody" or "peaty" tasting whiskeys or scotches. IMO, if I really wanted to drink something that tasted like a peat bog or wood ("laphroaig", "glenlivet", etc), I'd just go to a swamp or chew on a table. The most flavorful scotch I actually found I liked was Belvenie. The wood taste isn't overpowering and a few drops of water really opens up the flavor.

-g

Crown is great if you like throwing up.

Jack is blah.

Johnny walker is OK as long as its not Red.

Jameson = delicious.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2014, 07:48 PM
13's or Mildly Broken

Captain Morgan... wait, you're talking about whiskey's

I'm not a whiskey drinker by any means, but on those rare occasions, I'll drink Jameson. I've had Bushmills a few times as well, but I like Jameson better.

1994 Thunderbird SC 3.8L Supercharged
1999 Crown Victoria P71 4.6
2000 Explorer 5.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in