Pharmacies Denying Medications - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Pharmacies Denying Medications

If this post or subject is too taboo for any reason Moderators/Super-moderators/Admins feel free to remove it and notify me via private messaging.

So to the subject at hand, are there any forum members here who are chronic pain sufferers or have medical needs that require them to be on pain medications. I myself have a couple of conditions which require me to be on some medications likely for the rest of my life.

The rising issue is that many pharmacies treat patients with real needs and valid prescriptions like criminals due to their poor practices in the past, and sometimes even their own personal opinions as pharmacists. Some outright deny patients stating that they are being over prescribed, even going so far as to tell them that "chronic pain is not a condition which can be controlled with medication", others make up that they are out of stock, will not have them for weeks, will not have them for months, can no longer get them from a certain vendor, are working to establish a new vendor, can't order them anymore, or even that the DEA has set a number that they can order and they have exceeded the number and therefor are restricted from ordering them anymore. My local news has been investigating this as well and has received statements from CVS, Walgreens, UMC, and independent pain management physicians, as well as patients/customers who are being denied.

For me this has been an on going issue since mid last year. Sometimes I'll have to go to multiple pharmacies being denied in multiple ways, run around and around in circles, to attempt to have my valid prescriptions filled. I'm wondering if anyone is having these issues in other states. I'm sure Nevada and Florida can't be the only ones.

Before we get into the discussion of abuse and addiction let me make it clear, when I started seeing a pain management doctor I went through 12 different prescriptions and doses before we found what worked correctly for me. The goal in true pain management is just that, to MANAGE the pain correctly. I've been on both ends of the spectrum. On one end is crippling/debilitating pain, on the other of course is so drugged out of your mind that you can not see/think/or function. My medication has remained stable for the past 3 years, so obviously it works the way I need it to, minimal pain which is controlled, and allows me to function, think clearly, and be focused. I don't fill my medications early, I don't run out early, I don't sell them, I don't abuse them, I don't give them to anyone other than myself, clearly put I take them as prescribed.

Anyone else having problems with pharmacies playing god with their medications? Anyone have any opinions on the subject at hand?

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 04:36 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

IMO as a private business they have the right to deny any customer for any reason, if one does not like one business's decision go some where else.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowez View Post
IMO as a private business they have the right to deny any customer for any reason, if one does not like one business's decision go some where else.
Actually according to the ADA it is discrimination and a violation of rights.

227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 07:53 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I personally haven't ran into it, but they have had investigative reports on the news concerning it here in Tucson and Phoenix. I don't recall any followup reports, which you sometimes see.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Interesting topic.

Sorry for your troubles Chris. I would think that your PCP - Primary care physician or his office could assist you in getting the meds you need.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Yea if that were me, I'd be on the phone with my doctor constantly and telling him to order his employees to find me a damn pharmacy that WILL fill the prescription when I get there.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

After visiting 10 pharmacies today I called my doctor he and his staff are reviewing my past medications that worked as a temporary alternative. In the mean time I'm literally on bed rest until something functional can be prescribed that is available. Hopefully this won't land me in an E.R.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 06:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

If I remember right the DEA is involved, and asking pharmacies to call the prescribing doctor and get some background and make sure it is legit. I know from some prescriptions my wife has gotten that most of the time they would rather not fill it.

My son got some odd things prescribed to him when he was just home after being born (3 months premature) and we ended up just going back to the hospital to get it filled (he was prescribed caffeine) because no one else would, even when they had it.

Hopefully they can get you on something until this is straightened out, sucks that you have to put being in less pain and being productive on hold because of this, hope you get something to help with the pain.

I think we see less of it in Arizona now with the medical marijuana.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-19-2014, 10:06 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Murder View Post
Actually according to the ADA it is discrimination and a violation of rights.
Speaking of rights, I feel that you (or me) have the right to decide something for our selves. I understand work places testing and not wanting to hire druggies. But out side of that, the government has NO right to tell some one what they can and can not put in there body. And alcoholic can drink all night every night legally and destroy his body, become a bad father and maybe even kill a family while driving drunk. Not much is done. BUT GOD FORBID a man smokes some opium or smokes some pot in his own home bothering no one. Then some one not being able to get meds on a perscription!? Ridiculous. If I was being prevented from doing it the legal right way, then I'd do it illegally. This sucks. Seems like they are making it easier for criminals than for law abiding citizens. That being said, I've heard (but not certain) that some other countrys like Canada and Mexico (<---Not regulated) will have pharmacys that will get you what you need with a perscription.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I think there is a lot of gray area between the government regulating and companies implementing restrictions on hiring people who are on certain types of medications. Even though marijuana is practically legal here in California, and even if you have a prescription, you will still be denied employment if you fail a pre-screening evaluation. Nevada seems like one of the hardest states on the issue, they have extremely harsh punishments for posession, meanwhile across the border here its much more relaxed. You guys may be smog exempt and guns are easier to obtain, but controlled substances dont seem to be tolerated as much. Hope things work out in your favor but if not its probably not so much the DEA and government as it is the states regulations. I dont think you would have this issue in another state and if your health is priority, you need to figure out a middle ground that works out best for you.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 07:30 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I see the ADA and raise the 9th and 10th Amendments. Not being an arse but the Constitution is higher than the ADA, and my rights are higher than your regulations.

Though its not an ADA issue unless they explicitly say its because of a disability, any other reason is totally valid--just like being fired in a right to work state.

Not directing at anyone or situation particularly just how I feel.

I do feel its bad business if your Pharmacy won't keep you supplied, because its not like they don't know when you will need more.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird

Last edited by bowez; 07-20-2014 at 07:41 AM.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2014, 04:42 PM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Beware of the pharmacist who is trying to regulate how much of a prescription you can
receive.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in