Garage
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Try selling it for anything less and some 17 year old will end up with it and it'll surely turn up in a junkyard within 5 years.

-Matt
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Garage
i bought mine when i was 17 thank you.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:24 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Even if it were more realistically priced, it's going to need a LOT of work to be driven much.

I have a 2002 Crown Vic that had 15,000 miles put on it over it's first ten years. I had to replace most of the rubber in the suspension, all the hoses, the belt, and the fuel pump. These "low mileage" cars have stuff wearing out from NOT being used.

I'd rather have a well maintained 100,000 mile 24 year old car over a 17,000 mile one.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-04-2014, 10:31 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogbird95 View Post
i bought mine when i was 17 thank you.
And? So did I. And my car bears very little resembelance now to when it was stock because I went changed everything. A 35th anniversary like that should be preserved and it's priced for a buyer who would do so. Somehow I doubt your average 17 year old would be content with the stock JBL head unit and everything, and keeping the miles off it, ergo ruining every bit of appeal it currently has over every ratty 35th you can find for pennies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post

I'd rather have a well maintained 100,000 mile 24 year old car over a 17,000 mile one.
Good luck finding one with intact suede seats at 100k

-Matt
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:16 AM
4th Gear Poster

Well the price is only something understandable for those that like this type of car. The real problem the sellers of these cars face is trying to find someone who has money like this readily available that likes these cars enough to buy it for that, even classic muscle cars can sit for sale for a great deal of time before you find someone who can obtain the money to buy even then you have to have some give in the price or you can sit on it for a lot longer. It's all a game of give and take when selling anything, it has to be agreeable or you will have no sale as much as I like these cars I wouldn't agree to it but someone else just might.

Also pricing it at 7K or slightly more would keep it out of some less appreciative persons hands as well. Cars that sell at 3k or lower usually end up being junked in 5 or less years due to repairs being as high as the resale value itself leaving it as being less desirable to keep versus something newer as either way you are paying in one way or the other to keep a vehicle on the road might as well spend it on payments vs repairs is average American mentality.

97 Thunderbird LX 4.6 sohc, 60,000 original miles and lots of room for improvement.... All show and no go for now...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:31 AM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Even if it were more realistically priced, it's going to need a LOT of work to be driven much.

I have a 2002 Crown Vic that had 15,000 miles put on it over it's first ten years. I had to replace most of the rubber in the suspension, all the hoses, the belt, and the fuel pump. These "low mileage" cars have stuff wearing out from NOT being used.

Understand that a used car is still a used car it is not new so it will need maintenance and repair sooner or latter regardless of mileage and age I also worked for a used vehicle dealership at one point and time. Things happen but try changing the same parts on a 100k and over car vs your 15-60k miles and tell me how easy it is for you to free those parts everything on my T Bird comes apart easily even suspension related compared to my 100k + mile Cougar where I was heating it with a torch and beating it with a large hammer to free certain things so even though I replaced the same parts the procedure was easier on the low mileage vs the high mileage and I'm sure at a good shop it would reflect on the bill too. So call it as you may.

97 Thunderbird LX 4.6 sohc, 60,000 original miles and lots of room for improvement.... All show and no go for now...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 12:55 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo112 View Post
Well the price is only something understandable for those that like this type of car. The real problem the sellers of these cars face is trying to find someone who has money like this readily available that likes these cars enough to buy it for that, even classic muscle cars can sit for sale for a great deal of time before you find someone who can obtain the money to buy even then you have to have some give in the price or you can sit on it for a lot longer. It's all a game of give and take when selling anything, it has to be agreeable or you will have no sale as much as I like these cars I wouldn't agree to it but someone else just might.

Also pricing it at 7K or slightly more would keep it out of some less appreciative persons hands as well. Cars that sell at 3k or lower usually end up being junked in 5 or less years due to repairs being as high as the resale value itself leaving it as being less desirable to keep versus something newer as either way you are paying in one way or the other to keep a vehicle on the road might as well spend it on payments vs repairs is average American mentality.
You have to account for parents who have a "10k budget" for little Billy's first car, otherwise this happens

-Matt
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 03:21 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo112 View Post
Understand that a used car is still a used car it is not new so it will need maintenance and repair sooner or latter regardless of mileage and age I also worked for a used vehicle dealership at one point and time. Things happen but try changing the same parts on a 100k and over car vs your 15-60k miles and tell me how easy it is for you to free those parts everything on my T Bird comes apart easily even suspension related compared to my 100k + mile Cougar where I was heating it with a torch and beating it with a large hammer to free certain things so even though I replaced the same parts the procedure was easier on the low mileage vs the high mileage and I'm sure at a good shop it would reflect on the bill too. So call it as you may.
I understand that, and I understand I'd have to do the work either way, it just bothers me that I have a practically "new" 12 year old car that I have to replace all the pieces on like I would any other 12 year old car. I see these "barn finds" like a Mustang that's been parked since 1971, and I'm thinking for what I'd have to replace in it, I'd rather not pay a premium for it.

I've already replaced all the bad stuff on mine, and it's for sale, and I specify all the stuff I've replaced. The suspension stuff I get, it gets old, I think the fuel pump is what really ticked me off. I did the filter when I got the car in 2011 under advisement from folks here, and it failed anyway. Oh well. I don't mind heating something up with a torch or using penetrating oil to get it going. I just can't see spending that much money for a car to "preserve" it. I understand the idea, but I don't see the point of owning a car and not driving it.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 05:48 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I'm just happy this thread wasn't video of some totally wild TCCOAer from Colorado making it to the viral video stage...

Carry on!

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I understand that, and I understand I'd have to do the work either way, it just bothers me that I have a practically "new" 12 year old car that I have to replace all the pieces on like I would any other 12 year old car. I see these "barn finds" like a Mustang that's been parked since 1971, and I'm thinking for what I'd have to replace in it, I'd rather not pay a premium for it.

I've already replaced all the bad stuff on mine, and it's for sale, and I specify all the stuff I've replaced. The suspension stuff I get, it gets old, I think the fuel pump is what really ticked me off. I did the filter when I got the car in 2011 under advisement from folks here, and it failed anyway. Oh well. I don't mind heating something up with a torch or using penetrating oil to get it going. I just can't see spending that much money for a car to "preserve" it. I understand the idea, but I don't see the point of owning a car and not driving it.
The vast majority of 35th anniversaries were driven - straight into the ground. No offense to the Crown Vic, it's a gorgeous looking example, but it's only remarkable in that it has extremely low miles, once it gets 100k on the clock what makes it special compared to the millions of taxi grade 98+ vics prowling the roads? I'm sorry but once a car gets past a certain age with that low of miles it should be preserved, it made it this long without an abusive/indefferent owner ratting it up and doing so now is akin to vandalism in my book. In the case of the 35th it's even older and it's a rare package on top of a rare package.

I love how on this site we all ***** how little respect these cars generally get and how worthless they are but are all willing to sell for chicken feed to some kid who will thrash, abuse and wreck them in a spectacular display of duchebaggery, or get critical of someone who doesn't list it for a price that makes it possible.

And so what if the rubber dry rots? That's cheap and easy R&R crap anyway, a low mile original body/interior on the other hand can't easily be duplicated, certainly not for the price you guys think they should be worth.

-Matt
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:24 PM
4th Gear Poster

Damn I stopped going to that yard but it used to be my spot I am not even 30 minutes away from there of course that car has got to be gone by now. I sold my 93 Cougar xr7 to an adult that smashed up the front end in an accident. I am not saying the MN12 is valueless but realistically I think maybe 10 grand would be more of an acceptable amount, highest maybe 12 but 17 grand and up is pushing the limit to me, finding someone who likes these cars to be willing to spend that amount is probably as rare as finding that low of mileage on one of these. The main thing that attracted me to these cars was the low price, making it a good bang for the buck, but any higher I probably would have passed on it and leaned towards something else. Now that I have it I don't mind spending the money to bring it to more of my liking, I have no intention of selling it ever in the future it will be my trophy when it's done, you can not predict the future of all the what ifs like if the car should become wrecked or destroyed by a circumstance we have no control of unfortunately if it happens or if it is to be sold for some unforeseen event the hard part is determining the face value vs what someone with money is willing to pay for it meaning insurance company or buyer. I agree no one wants some unappreciative jerk off to pay the cash and recklessly ruin the vehicle they tried so hard to preserve but look at some muscle cars that have been destroyed in movies and tv like fast and furious, dukes of hazard, it takes away from the lot that people would normally have to choose from to own or build their dream car, in our case cash for clunkers was more our enemy than Hollywood or any careless unappreciative teen. It took a good percentage of our beloved v8 examples and left behind the less desirable Essex v6's in its place making the v8 seem like a rare option. I wasn't happy with it at all but like that Thunderbird SC in the junkyard it goes to say people with money can and will destroy what they want because they are not like us and to them and our government a car is just a car no matter how low or high it sells for. A young man who was a import enthusiast had a built crx turbo car it was fast though I will give it that, bought this clean black 94 or 95 v8 Thunderbird car was mint literally, each week him and his friends would bash this poor car and hit things on purpose with it take it on a hell ride so to speak in 2 months the front bumper cover was destroyed marker lights destroyed, hood wrinkled, quarter panels pushed in, rear side window was broken not even a bag or plastic over it and it was raining all day on the car. When I used to see these things I used to get upset but now it makes me feel good to look at mine because it makes it even rarer than before. There will always be a few nice examples of every car no matter how rare as long as someone likes it, it will remain but many will continue to die as it is just how it is so take advantage of the parts while you can, no offense Matt but if that anniversary got wrecked here in Illinois I would be more than happy to take the seats in a heartbeat and the rims and anniversary badges.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 08:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

High IMO yes, 10-15 seems more reasonable, but the side effect is it raises the value of all SC and MN-12s.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in