Broken Springs or Mounts - TCCoA Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By MadMikeyL

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Broken Springs or Mounts

I may have a broken spring or mount on my 03 Expedition not the Tbird. It's the front passenger side. I took the wheel of to overlook the suspension and couldn't find anything obviously wrong. It started 2 days ago as I was turning left not very sharp but I would say I turned the steering wheel about 90 degrees to the left going through a roundabout. It was a clunk that felt like something disconnected. You can't tell anything was wrong going straight until I hit dips or potholes then it definitely sounds like a coil spring clunk. It also makes the sound if I turn left somewhat hard. I didn't see any part of spring broken on that side but I can tell its on that side as it gets worse when I have a passenger riding up front. The steering feels lighter and feels like I have to turn the steering wheel more than usual to turn either way. No noticeable camber or toe changes either. I've had busted shock mounts on my Tbird and strut mounts on my old Maxima and it was just clunks and rattles. I just want to know from people who have experience with broken springs or totally destroyed mounts up front, the symptoms you have when they were broken.

If you Fail to plan, then you plan to Fail!
I'll forever bleed Ford Blue

Drae
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 12:34 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
Expeditions are known for lower ball joints failing, and I have seen ones come in with almost a full inch of play and the car still appear to drive OK, so I would start there.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

I forgot to add I jacked the truck up and put the jack under the lower control arm and jacked it up to where it begun lift the truck off the jack stand then rapidly lowered it and heard the coil spring kinda pop but not as loudly as driving conditions are. Everything as far as steering and suspension feels pretty tight for a truck with 131K miles. I've had bad ball joints on my Navigator and Tbird and they always squeaked as a sign to change. I would be terrified of ball joints that didn't squeak as a sign. I wanted to change the shock assemblies on both side first before the lower control arms as they are pricey. I guess I'll go with my gut and do the shock assemblies. Just wanted to know what a broken spring does to your steering before replacing them.

Drae
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 07:25 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
A broken spring really does nothing to your steering, it will just lower your ride height a little. It also would be easy to see if the spring is broken by looking at it, and it likely won't make any noise either, so I seriously doubt that is your problem. Before replacing any parts, jack the car up and start prying on things looking for something loose, otherwise you are just throwing money away since you will likely replace several unnecessary parts before you get to the problem.
Draetech09 likes this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Ok I'll recheck everything to see if there is any play in something. Thanks.

Drae
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Well I'm positive I found the problem. It turned out to be on the driver side.
http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/Dr...tml?sort=3&o=0
http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/Dr...tml?sort=3&o=1
http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/Dr...tml?sort=3&o=2
Looks like I'm doing both lower control arms as I always replace in pairs and bending the frame back where the arm mounts. I don't know how this happened as I just got it a year ago and 28K miles ago. It must have been like this and slowly cutting that bushing down until I recently got the symptoms from it. Anyways thanks Mikey for the advice to keep checking elsewhere.

Drae

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in