California Fires - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 04:32 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
California Fires

Just read about the wild fires in California on the news.

I hope all you guys/girls/birds/cougars in CA are keeping safe.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The air in SF is pretty bad as the fires are within 50 mi of us and it's surprisingly calm so the wind from the ocean we normally get isn't picking this up and blowing it all eastwards into Oakland/Berkeley -- where most of our pollution normally goes .

Between the heatwave we received earlier this year and the smoke now, I wouldn't have high expectations for Napa/Sonoma wine this years vintage (2017 should be out in a few years if it's not all turned into box wine). Some of the storehouses might be damaged as well which sucks for those vineyards.
Fires strike a blow to the wine industry in Sonoma and Napa counties - LA Times

The hills around Sears Point Raceway up in Napa got burned a bit but the structures/raceway wasn't damaged; this is where we go for our lemons race every March. I haven't heard about the 3000 sheep they normally have wandering in the hills cropping the grass; hopefully none of them became impromptu kebobs.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...d-fire-update/

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Sounds horrendous, and really bad for the winemakers. Do you reckon they may have been started deliberately? There was some speculation on our news.

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:02 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
I heard there would be a bad year, something due to the drought.

The next story I read was about a massive fire.

That's hard to get away with these days; there are deaths associated with the fires already, so people will be looking into those kinds of things.

Happy to hear the track is ok; hopefully any sheep made it out.

As a sheep, I'd definitely run from fire, so I can't see them hanging around too close.

The deer around here would try to eat the fire, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 03:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
It's bad if you live in Santa Rosa but I remember visiting my GF in the Thousand Oaks/Ventura area in the early 2000s and got stuck in LAX because of the wild fires (the smoke was so bad it shut the airport down). At night, you could see from the hwy the whole hill on fire. That was crazy.

As far as deliberately is concerned, I believe the latest speculation is negligence. Pacific Gas and Electric is responsible for trimming trees away from power lines. When they touch, sparks occur and when that happens. Instead of doing their job, they kept the profits and returned the money to their shareholders.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...e-12264397.php

PG&E got caught NOT doing enough maintenance a few years ago on their gas pipelines. A leak in a exurb town south of SF blew up a few years ago b/c they failed to maintain their big gas trunks (rotted through). This blew up a whole neighborhood and sadly a friend of mine from a local gun club and his family as well. It was very sad as only his daughter and wife survived (mom, son, and him gone in an instant).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Br...line_explosion
PG&E receives maximum sentence for 2010 San Bruno pipeline explosion | abc7news.com

IMO, this is why utilities should be municipal/govt run vs. private enterprises. I'm a complete capitalist but some things should just have the profit element removed from them

-g

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 05:00 PM
5th Gear Poster

I know a few people that had their homes leveled, which just sucks.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 05:06 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Garage
Was in Clear Lake area for the weekend so saw plenty of smoke throughout my family's stay there (plus a plume from a somewhat minor fire near the town of Clearlake itself). The drive home through Santa Rosa was extremely sobering, the destruction so evident just feet away from 101.

Chris

---

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX Sport - 4.6L V8 + Magnaflow dual exhaust
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 11:19 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
This is a lot worse that I thought yesterday; there's a lot of people out on the streets, as well as those who didn't make it out.

Here's hoping it rains, hard and soon.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in