What Are Your Stocks In? - Page 2 - TCCoA Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 06:03 PM
5th Gear Poster

I would pay off all debt over a chosen interest rate, say 10%, after you have put away some in tax deferred accounts for retirement to reduce your taxes under 20%. As you pay the debt down your buying/spending/borrowing power will go up. The credit card is the worst unless you pull a Trump and go bankrupt.

I like index funds because you are betting on a diverse sector of the USA economy. The USA economy generally grows faster than any other option available to me(try to beat inflation with a CD these days).

Like others here, I feel individual stocks are more of a gamble mostly due to my ignorance of big business. Today I did buy two dividend stocks that were not down today. One was a REIT and the other healthcare. This is just my attempt to gain near 10% while I look for a sure thing in a growth stock but most of my money is in index funds. My Roth acct is at Schwab and I can trade a little with that. I also have oil/dividend stock.

I recently bought some silver but that is a diversification move to reduce my cash and a bet I can profit before I need to sell it to pay bills in the next decade.

1992 Tbird LX 5.0, 3.73 gears, 1995 Cobra intake, deleted air silencer, 2.5" mandrel bent dual exhaust, SCP shorty headers. Updated four-hole fuel injectors. SK shift kit in AOD. Vogtland 0.9" springs, Tokico and Bilstein shocks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I ended up taking some of my spare cash and putting it towards one of my loans. I'm still leaving the remainder in on my stocks and hope that I get some modest gains at least.

I'm looking into Fidelity's index funds, and it looks like it's my preferred choosing of one (or multiple) of the following: FNILX, FZIPX, FZROX, FZILX. Does anyone else here have any of these?

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #33 of 62 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
I ended up taking some of my spare cash and putting it towards one of my loans. I'm still leaving the remainder in on my stocks and hope that I get some modest gains at least.

I'm looking into Fidelity's index funds, and it looks like it's my preferred choosing of one (or multiple) of the following: FNILX, FZIPX, FZROX, FZILX. Does anyone else here have any of these?
IMO, you are still looking at investments like a punter looking for that next hot stock tip. Sure, you can pick some winners but you will also pick some losers. With these broad market funds, you aren't going to see a significant (2x-5x) improvement as that would essentially mean that the entire US economy (or in the case of Intl global economy vs the US) has grown by 2x-5x OR USD inflation has set in to grow the market by that much. Any investment in these kind of shares should be considered in comparison to your alternatives (like your existing high interest debt) or as portion of your entire asset portfolio.

1) IMO, these are interesting funds in that they are zero cost at the expense of having to open up a Fidelity account and leave your money there (vs buying it at a different brokerage/firm). This is almost academic when you compare it against other total market funds which charge you a whopping 0.03% but hey, pennies are pennies.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/420...uard-index-etf

2) As far as which funds to choose, it all depends on what your alternative investment options are AND what you current total portfolio looks like (including 401K and ROTH).

- If you are just looking at "heyo, the US market is strong and will get stronger. let's put my money there", you are just gambling. It doesn't matter if you have a hunch or know that
- As mentioned before, the best, clearest place to take your future cash right now is to knock out all of your high interest long term debt outside of your mortgage. Even if some of it (like your student debt) is tax deductible -- that just means you won't be paying taxes on the income that you are using to pay them their 9.9% back. That is still like making 9.9% APY in the future.

- Once you knock all that out, then come back and let's talk about where you want to be. The most logical approach is to take the time to break down your funds and see your market exposure. Then, compare this to the calculator (or equivalent to determine your target asset mix). Do you have too much in large cap? too much in small cap? too much in midcap? too much in international? not enough bonds/REIT? I don't really know YOUR total investment picture and I suspect you don't know either. I can tell you today that I have "too much" in cash but this is because I believe that the stock market is way too hot and we are approaching the end of a bull run.

At face value, these all seem like brand new (hence no morningstar rating) but decent passive investments. They should perform just like the other large, medium, and overseas passive investments.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/420...uard-index-etf

FNILX
Large Blend
https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...mary/315911628

FZIPX
Midcap blend
https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...mary/315911636

FZROX
Large Blend
https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...mary/31635T708

FZILX
International
https://fundresearch.fidelity.com/mu...mary/31635T609
My only comment on this one is that as far as overseas funds go, it's pretty heavy into Europe and developed markets. This means that you will see currency fluctuations based on their relative trading power vs the US (aka if we take a dive vs the EURO/Yen your investments will "Grow" since they are denominated in USD) but not necessarily the double digit growth of emerging markets. If I had a $100K of new money to invest in strictly overseas investments, I would probably NOT put it all in this fund. Instead, I would find one that targets more emerging markets and split the cash.

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Last edited by S4gunn; 11-14-2018 at 11:10 AM.
post #34 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
It's a lazy morning so I decided to bite the bullet and update my net worth spreadsheet. It seems like from Oct 1st to Dec 31st, my family's net worth has gone down 14%. I hope you folks haven't done worse.

It's annoying but
a) it doesn't change my day-to-day life as my wife and I are still quite a ways from retirement and my kid from college.
b) when the economy last tanked in 2008, I found I had recovered (ended back where I started) with my additional contributions within 18 months.

I'm not doing to pull the chute just yet and realize all my paper losses but I'm still glad I haven't contributed more into the market than just to my 401k/ESPP. If I could find more opps to make 10% APY, I'd take them in a heartbeat

Good luck to everyone in 2019!
-g
CDsDontBurn likes this.

post #35 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 12:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Most of my net worth is invested in this Campbell property.

About $8 an hour goes into my 401k which is invested in a mutual growth fund through my Union.

Aside from the I have a few investments in various defense contractors ( Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Lockheed Martin, BAE systems, etc etc .. )

I don't think of this as actual money, nothing that will be of use to me when I die before the rest of my family.
post #36 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:50 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I recently picked up some more XOM and opened a new position in DAL with this market correction.

I'm sitting on heavy losses with UA and FB but like yourself, I have about 15 years for it to work itself out. However, I'm more optimistic about FB turning around in the near term than UA.

My full portfolio is made up of 25 different holdings.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #37 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I'm looking at picking up more shares in F and FTR. I picked up 900 shares worth of TLDE recently. It's cheap penny stock and cost and I won't sweat over it out of any potential fiscal loss if I lose anything from it. But if even moves up 10 or 20 cents, it's a quick buck to have made.

'97 Bird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake & PI Cams | Suspension Rebuild

'00 2dr v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Greddy SP2 CAT-Back | Eibach ProKit springs | Eibach F/R Sway Bars | KYB-GR2 struts
post #38 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 11:35 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I last picked up F at 9.35 at 7.65 it's very attractive. I think it could go as low as 6ish. I may average down from here.

I don't see the appeal in FTR at 2.38. It's 5 year chart is nothing but red all the way from $126 in 2015 to near 0 today. Run from this one.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/423...se-stock-split

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #39 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

FTR is definitely a risk, no doubt. Are they so bad that they would go bankrupt or would they be picked up by another company?

Hopefully, another company steps up and buys them out. If so, their stock price will jump and I can either sell or have my stock converted to the buying company's stock at a (hopefully) higher price. But yea, FTR stock has plummeted in the last three months.

post #40 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:34 PM
50 years of Mercury Cougar 1967/2017

Anything right now is a risk, with the buffoon we have running the show right now.

Put it all in fixed rate accounts.
Trunk Monkey likes this.

Quickest N/A Modular MN12.
1995 XR7-11.77 @ 113.29 (3537 lbs.)
01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by r429460 View Post
Anything right now is a risk, with the buffoon we have running the show right now.

Put it all in fixed rate accounts.
What would be good examples of fixed rate accounts?

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:10 AM

CD's, there's too much violitity when the buffoon opens his mouth.

Unless you have a 457 account available to you.

01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Which I do through my employer. I'm putting away ~10% each PP into my 457(b) account.

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 01-04-2019, 09:17 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
I'm at about 12% into my accounts: 6% pretax into my IRA, which is matched at 100% by my employer, and 6% post-tax into a ROTH.

Plus other Dividend Reinvestment Plan (DRIP) contributions into XOM and DUK accounts that I set up back in the 90's.

I've got some free time today. I'm going to balance my portfolio and do some shopping...
CDsDontBurn likes this.

post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 02:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
What would be good examples of fixed rate accounts?
Your typical high yield savings acct will net you 2% APY. I have an existing acct that nets me that from my local credit union (starone.org)
Looking online, the top seems to be 2.35% (I've had accts with PNC bank before)
https://www.bankrate.com/banking/savings/rates/

Unless you somehow paid back all of your debt, instead of sticking this money into a savings acct or buying more stocks you should be doing your best to kill off your credit card debt. As we calculated before, THAT would net you an equivalent of 16%+ return on investment when you calculate the pretax value of that money. It's not sexy but it's a guaranteed return on investment (instead of paying 12.99% interest every month).
-g

post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:44 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Bump. Any body been trading lately?

I last picked up some Boeing (BA) @ 376.xx back in March.

post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:37 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
Picked up some EWY today. I'm looking for exposure to SAMSUNG and since it's traded on the Korean market there's no real way for me to buy SAMSUNG stock directly. EWY, a South Korean ETF, has about 20% exposure to SAMSUNG and is available on the NYSE.

post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:39 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
When I see some politician doing something Crazy, I put my stuff in a Cash fund, then wait for the inevitable drop; then buy the stuff I held before at much lower prices.

That's what their friends are doing, IMHO; it's hard to make gobs of money in a stable market, so they like to do stupid stuff to shake things up.

That's my only explanation for what they do, anyway.

I sold one last week at ~150, and it's at 75 this morning; I'm hoping for closer to 50 before I buy again. No deal yet, so there's time.

Then it will usually go back to what it was in a few weeks; so I wait for the next one, rinse, and repeat.

If you're sure enough to hold a company, it's worth churning.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
When I see some politician doing something Crazy, I put my stuff in a Cash fund, then wait for the inevitable drop; then buy the stuff I held before at much lower prices.

That's what their friends are doing, IMHO; it's hard to make gobs of money in a stable market, so they like to do stupid stuff to shake things up.

That's my only explanation for what they do, anyway.

I sold one last week at ~150, and it's at 75 this morning; I'm hoping for closer to 50 before I buy again. No deal yet, so there's time.

Then it will usually go back to what it was in a few weeks; so I wait for the next one, rinse, and repeat.

If you're sure enough to hold a company, it's worth churning.
Well, except for the tax implications of churning. It all depends on how much the stock is moving. Stocks losing 1/2 of their market cap as per your example is NOT typical -- a correction of 10-20% might be more realistic.

Short term capital gains are paid at the same rate as your regular income (which could be 32-37% federal plus another 9% if you live in a high cost state like CA). That QUICKLY eats into the profits made by churning for a small shift in stock. Obviously, if you make less income, you'll be in a lower tax bracket and therefore smaller gains from churning can be appealing.

In comparison, Long term gains are 15% + 9% if you live in a high cost state like CA... but you only get this for holding stocks for more than a year.
Grog6 and CDsDontBurn like this.

post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
... but you only get this for holding stocks for more than a year.
This part is the key; these 'disruptions' seldom come at a faster rate, for some reason.

And the ones that do are in different market sectors, so there's enough overlap with some diversity in your portfolio.

What I bought in 2017, and sold in 2018 near the peak was predicated on this logic; what I bought near the bottom of the trough in later 2018 was cool to sell at the high last month.

Stuff will start back up well before the election next year, miraculously, and will be good to sell before that manufactured crash, lol.

I have no illusions of the 'invisible hand' anymore; the hard part is divining the "when to sell/buy" moment they (The Big Boys) are going to cause.

When my buddy that believes anything facebook tells him gets all wound up on some nonissue, it's getting close to time, and I start paying attention.

Man, I'm getting Cynical as I'm getting old; but this has worked since 2006 of so, when I started doing it.

There was that long runup after the election, and that increased some things a Lot.
What supported it, I don't know, but it just made more money.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #51 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 04:30 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Well, except for the tax implications of churning. It all depends on how much the stock is moving. Stocks losing 1/2 of their market cap as per your example is NOT typical -- a correction of 10-20% might be more realistic.

Short term capital gains are paid at the same rate as your regular income (which could be 32-37% federal plus another 9% if you live in a high cost state like CA). That QUICKLY eats into the profits made by churning for a small shift in stock. Obviously, if you make less income, you'll be in a lower tax bracket and therefore smaller gains from churning can be appealing.

In comparison, Long term gains are 15% + 9% if you live in a high cost state like CA... but you only get this for holding stocks for more than a year.
A correction of 20% to 33% is not uncommon. I consider a 10% float a normal fluctuation. I've seen that in my own holdings fluctuate 20% to 33% quite a few times. I could have guessed the market would do this today given the Friday tariff change that was announced like on Wednesday of last week. My only regret is that I didn't pick up some of the VIX on Thursday or Friday.

Quote:
This part is the key; these 'disruptions' seldom come at a faster rate, for some reason.

And the ones that do are in different market sectors, so there's enough overlap with some diversity in your portfolio.

What I bought in 2017, and sold in 2018 near the peak was predicated on this logic; what I bought near the bottom of the trough in later 2018 was cool to sell at the high last month.

Stuff will start back up well before the election next year, miraculously, and will be good to sell before that manufactured crash, lol.

I have no illusions of the 'invisible hand' anymore; the hard part is divining the "when to sell/buy" moment they (The Big Boys) are going to cause.

When my buddy that believes anything facebook tells him gets all wound up on some nonissue, it's getting close to time, and I start paying attention.

Man, I'm getting Cynical as I'm getting old; but this has worked since 2006 of so, when I started doing it.

There was that long runup after the election, and that increased some things a Lot.
What supported it, I don't know, but it just made more money.
Market manipulation, near zero interest rates, the Trump tax cuts and QE1, QE2, QE3, etc. are what's supported this overinflated market.

Your cynicism is well founded. Regardless, do what works! and, like you said, be ready for the next manufactured crash.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 05-13-2019 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Merge Posts
post #52 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 05:10 PM

Garage
BTW, Tennessee is a great state, Taxwise.

No income tax, no 'Hall Tax' (on interest).

Sales tax is capped at 9.75% currently.

No professional taxes, IIRC, they were also repealed.

Property taxes aren't too bad here; it's worse in the bigger cities, but no one lives there but youngsters and government workers; everyone else lives 'just out of town".

Our Schools Suck, but Vouchers are coming, so you can send your kids to Private School on the taxpayer dime.
Private here means "Religious" schools, and the best of those is nowhere near as good as Oak Ridge's public schools, or Farragut's. And those are NOT like they were when I went to ORHS.
Now no one but rich kids get into the AP classes, regardless of ability, due to funding.

Our Roads suck, and haven't been paved since the Clinton Era; that makes one of my 'fun drives' much less fun than it was when I first got Lazarus.
One section has reverted to gravel, and more roads are reverting over time, or they may as well, considering their condition.

One of the good parts is that the Meth and then Opioid crises has left most of the criminal element in jail or dead, so that's a plus.
People here get longer jailtime for making meth than for Murder.

Oh, and Guns are everywhere; Carry permits + Classes are less than $200, and can be done in a weekend.

post #53 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:09 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Speaking of TN, I'm heading your way tomorrow Greg. I've got work in the Chattanooga area for the next two weeks.

What the hell is a "Hall tax"?

post #54 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:32 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Speaking of TN, I'm heading your way tomorrow Greg. I've got work in the Chattanooga area for the next two weeks.

What the hell is a "Hall tax"?
Let me know if you make it up this way, we'll have a beer.

I've got a Cousin, Tony G. that has a bar in Chattanooga; I'll see if I can find where it is.

The Hall tax was named for somebody; they taxed all interest income not otherwise taxed; like dividends and such.

It was a tax on rich people with lots of money, but no otherwise taxable income.
That went away pretty quick when we transitioned to a Red state a few years back.
We can't have wealthy people paying taxes.
Trunk Monkey likes this.

post #55 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 AM

Thank you Mr. President for those low stock prices.

01/31/18 PBIR
THE danner EATER
post #56 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:36 PM

Garage
I'm just happy we aren't being used for soylent green, or medical experiments. Yet.

Lese majeste is a thing again; What was that saying: "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it"?
CDsDontBurn likes this.

post #57 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 06:30 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I'm just happy we aren't being used for soylent green, or medical experiments. Yet.

Lese majeste is a thing again; What was that saying: "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it"?
Or .... "We learn from history that we do not learn from history."

Lese majeste - I had to look that one up! So true (and so sad) it is back en vogue.

Anyway, I was looking at some of these stocks recently. Any thoughts on any, or all of them?
  • Best Buy (BBY)
  • Splunk (SPLK)
  • Pinterest (PINS)
  • Foot Locker
  • Proofpoint (PFPT) or Palo Alto (PANW) - Cyber security
  • Cisco Systems
  • Ebay

post #58 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:09 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Two markets that I've found interesting recently:

The fake meat market. R&D has made this surprisngly tasty. I had the opp to buy Beyond Meats at the IPO price from eTrade but was in mexico when I needed to have revised my purchase request with eTrade. Whoops. No big deal but the stock was offered at the IPO rate of $26/share, started trading at $45, and now sits at $89. The demand is there. IMO, I think a lot of people are interested in alternatives to beef that have the texture and similar taste to beef. Apparently, the target market aren't vegetarians/vegans but meat eaters like me who are willing to pay the premium for a fake meat patty that's healthier whenever they've felt they've had "too much beef" (something like 93% of buyers are not vegetarians). The price premium at retail is a bit high right now but I expect it to come down with more widespread adoption (when I checked, a beef burger at Carls Jr was $6 and the Beyond patty ver was $9). BYND is pricey right now but I think the next one to watch out for will be Impossible Foods. Their patty has vegetable heme and actually "bleeds" when cooked. I've had both and I think the impossible burger one is slightly better and BOTH are better than the previous generation's fake meat burgers that were soy and wheat gluten based (aka BOCA burger).

Weed. Several Cannabis growers in toronto are being traded right now and are also looking at the US market. Since I know nothing about canadians growers and their weed market and which ones are better than others, I think the smart play is to go in with an ETF. IMO, one will become the Molson/Starbucks of weed. I can't pick it so paying a 0.71-0.72% asset mgmt fee for them is a better choice. When I looked at this market 2 years ago, all that was available were shady penny stocks. This market looks legit now. Tickers: MJ and YOLO
Grog6 likes this.

post #59 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 11:39 AM
Irv
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Two markets that I've found interesting recently:

The fake meat market. R&D has made this surprisngly tasty. I had the opp to buy Beyond Meats at the IPO price from eTrade but was in mexico when I needed to have revised my purchase request with eTrade. Whoops. No big deal but the stock was offered at the IPO rate of $26/share, started trading at $45, and now sits at $89. The demand is there. IMO, I think a lot of people are interested in alternatives to beef that have the texture and similar taste to beef. Apparently, the target market aren't vegetarians/vegans but meat eaters like me who are willing to pay the premium for a fake meat patty that's healthier whenever they've felt they've had "too much beef" (something like 93% of buyers are not vegetarians). The price premium at retail is a bit high right now but I expect it to come down with more widespread adoption (when I checked, a beef burger at Carls Jr was $6 and the Beyond patty ver was $9). BYND is pricey right now but I think the next one to watch out for will be Impossible Foods. Their patty has vegetable heme and actually "bleeds" when cooked. I've had both and I think the impossible burger one is slightly better and BOTH are better than the previous generation's fake meat burgers that were soy and wheat gluten based (aka BOCA burger).

Weed. Several Cannabis growers in toronto are being traded right now and are also looking at the US market. Since I know nothing about canadians growers and their weed market and which ones are better than others, I think the smart play is to go in with an ETF. IMO, one will become the Molson/Starbucks of weed. I can't pick it so paying a 0.71-0.72% asset mgmt fee for them is a better choice. When I looked at this market 2 years ago, all that was available were shady penny stocks. This market looks legit now. Tickers: MJ and YOLO
I keep thinking at this point trying to get in on these sectors is just fear of missing out. After the Lyft and Uber IPOs played out poorly and Beyond Meat also not being a profitable venture so far and generally considered to make an inferior product to Impossible Foods, I didn't think BYND would skyrocket as it did. Impossible Foods says they're not in a rush to go public soon, so I'm not holding my breath for another shot at catching lightning in a bottle in this sector. That doesn't mean I won't try to get in on Impossible on opening day if and when they go public though.

I've been meaning to try the Impossible Burger since it's available at a local burger restaurant by me. Their upcharge is $2.50 per patty which doesn't seem too bad and is worth trying out.

Also, that YOLO ticker symbol.
Grog6 likes this.

Irv
1997 Ford Thunderbird LX

Last edited by Irv; 05-18-2019 at 11:51 AM.
post #60 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 08:53 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
In regards to pot, I was looking at ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF aptly ticker named (MJ) lol!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in