Just Some Random Thoughts About My MN12. Possible Suggestions? - TCCoA Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By T6Rocket

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Just Some Random Thoughts About My MN12. Possible Suggestions?

About a year and a half ago I purchased a nearly mint 1996 Thunderbird after years of searching. You can see my original thread about that here.

I just want to warn that this post might kind of be all over the place, I'm kind of typing my thoughts. I purchased the car with the plan that it would just be something to enjoy in my spare time, a weekend cruiser is what I usually call it. But I'm starting to wonder if I should maybe see if there is a buyer who would enjoy it more.

We only have a one car garage at our house so I rent a garage to store the car when I'm not using it and also during the winter and the car mostly just sits in the garage. All told I've probably driven the car 15 times which includes all of last spring/summer & half a summer before that when I purchased it July 2017. I really do love the car but family & life limit the time that I have to actually enjoy it & I'm starting to wonder if it's worth keeping. My kid is 8 and it seems like our summer weekends are packed with activities, my wife & I always joke about what did we do on weekends before kids? I know the car is nothing special, it's just special to me but the fact that I barely use it makes me wonder why I bought it. I know it's just a car & it doesn't have feelings but I also feel that if I were to sell it that I would probably miss it and years from now there is a chance I'd be kicking myself for getting rid of it. Anyone else ever been in this situation? It doesn't necessarily have to be a Thunderbird.

I know this probably all seems like a silly question, but maybe the problem is that I'm not the type of person to have a nice car that just sits in the garage? Cars were meant to be driven and for some reason it eats away at me that it rarely gets used. I don't know what I'll do, I'm sure I'll end up keeping at least for the time being. Maybe this summer I can make more of an effort to use it. I just can't bring myself to use it as a daily driver. If I start driving it to work I know it won't be long before it has dents from other people hitting it with their own car door. Well anyway, thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:39 PM
4th Gear Poster

Have to say your Tbird looks really nice. The sunroof and that green interior is really an awesome option package!
To answer your question, I felt similar about my Cougar before I really got into modifying it. I bought it in 2014, its low mileage and in very clean shape kind of like yours. I had intentions of keeping it as factory as possible, and just using it as a summer cruiser. It honestly started to get boring after a while though. Once I started pulling the dash for the clutch pedal and cutting holes for a shifter it really changed how I think about the car. I have so much time into it now; having seen almost every part of the car inside out. I don't think I could ever sell it.
The way I feel is it's kind of an ongoing project and a hobby to me now, not just my car. My other vehicles I just maintain, but I really don't have a big connection to them. I enjoy keeping them clean and driving them, but I will replace or sell them without much of second thought.

Maybe you need to decide what your goal for the car is. There is nothing wrong with having a cool summer car. MN12's are not getting any more common to see on the roads. One as nice as yours is a more than appropriate cool summer car. IMO with the nice condition of your Tbird it would be a shame to sell it after only a having it a few years. But if you decide to get rid of it post it here first, and I get dibs

96 Cougar Sport - T45 Swapped
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 06:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If it doesn't cost you much, no reason to get rid of it - as long as you drive it every so often. But id rather have a car that I drive than one that sits in a garage all the time. No point in owning a vehicle you don't drive.

I have the same problem, my brand new car is so nice to drive - nice speaker system, heated seats, comfortable … I have no reason to drive my POS Thunderbird. But then again, my SC isn't worth anything, so no reason to sell it. Its just taking up space but doesn't cost me anything so I keep it.

Don't get rid of anything if you feel like you will regret it later.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 07:38 AM
PostWhore

I am not understanding why it couldn't be at least a 3-day a week or even a daily car in the Summer? Or does the work parking situation not allow you to have an end spot?

I was going to suggest you keep it, so down the road when the kids are grown you can mess with it more. But only 15 times in a year in a half, that's less than the show cars/trailer queens.

These cars make great hwy cars for a good road trip!

Al

97 T-Bird LX 4.6 - 80k miles
94 Supra TT Auto - street/strip car
04 CVPI- Brenda's car - 76k miles
Previous Fords:
95 T-Bird LX 4.6 - fully optioned, owned 15 years, 220k miles
96 Cougar XR-7 4.6- Brenda's car, owned 11 years, 187k miles
88 T-Bird 3.8 - first T-Bird, owned 5 years, 206k miles
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenz View Post
Have to say your Tbird looks really nice. The sunroof and that green interior is really an awesome option package!
Thank you. I do love the light green interior, it seems to be rather rare.

As for the goals, I'm not really into customizing & honestly I just love the factory look of these cars. I've really been thinking about this for the past few days & I think you're right that it would be a shame to sell it. I'm going to make more of an effort to use it and enjoy it this summer. Thank you for your response & suggestions.

Last edited by Dust N Bones; 01-21-2019 at 01:43 PM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dDUBb View Post
If it doesn't cost you much, no reason to get rid of it - as long as you drive it every so often. But id rather have a car that I drive than one that sits in a garage all the time. No point in owning a vehicle you don't drive.

I have the same problem, my brand new car is so nice to drive - nice speaker system, heated seats, comfortable I have no reason to drive my POS Thunderbird. But then again, my SC isn't worth anything, so no reason to sell it. Its just taking up space but doesn't cost me anything so I keep it.

Don't get rid of anything if you feel like you will regret it later.
It really doesn't cost me anything other than insurance & maintenance so cost really isn't an issue. I think your last line there is probably spot on, once it's gone I obviously wouldn't be able to get it back. My wife told me last night I should keep it for a least 5 more years then re-evaluate at that time and that's probably really good advise.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
I am not understanding why it couldn't be at least a 3-day a week or even a daily car in the Summer? Or does the work parking situation not allow you to have an end spot?

I was going to suggest you keep it, so down the road when the kids are grown you can mess with it more. But only 15 times in a year in a half, that's less than the show cars/trailer queens.

These cars make great hwy cars for a good road trip!l
I work in a large goverment complex & we have assigned parking lots. The lot I park in is mostly full & unfortunately there really isn't a safe far away spot away from other cars. So taking it work is really out of the question. It's just frustrating to me because like I said it eats away at me that it's just sitting unused. As I said above though I think I'm going to keep it, at least for another few years & then re-evaluate because the flip side of this is that it also seems crazy to get rid of something that I do enjoy that also costs me almost nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in