Michigan Seatbelt Law - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to XR7CAT
Michigan Seatbelt Law

I HATE POLICE!!!!
i got a ticket today, for not wearing my seatbelt, i was honestly runnning late to school, and i was still in my sub and forgot to put it on, would i have ne chance at all of taking this to court and not having to pay a fine??? how much is the fine, does neone know? thanks

-Lenny

ps, this law is gay, it should be our choice if we want to protect ourselves from dying in an accident

"Student by Day, OutlaW by NighT"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 09:08 PM
Autozone Masta'

Quote:
Originally posted by XR7CAT
I HATE POLICE!!!!
i got a ticket today, for not wearing my seatbelt, i was honestly runnning late to school, and i was still in my sub and forgot to put it on, would i have ne chance at all of taking this to court and not having to pay a fine??? how much is the fine, does neone know? thanks

-Lenny

ps, this law is gay, it should be our choice if we want to protect ourselves from dying in an accident
Waaa waaa waaa. Next time wear your seatbelt!

And pay the fine. Own up to your ignorance.

Meh.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 09:34 PM
Braincoating! It's what all the cool kids have!

Administrator

Quote:
it should be our choice if we want to protect ourselves from dying in an accident.
Congratulations, you have hit on one of my very few pet peeves! I promise to make this short and as painless a possible.

Seatbelts take no time to use and the benefit of using it may not be revealed to you
but would certainly be apparent to those who care about you, in the case of an accident.

It’s a good time to grow up and be responsible. There is a reason for the law.
Take it from a guy almost as old as dirt, I never leave home without it on!

www.BRAINCOATING.com..... Powder & Ceramic Coating

WWW.PRESTONSBOOKS.BIZ..... Books at really great prices!
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 09:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
the windshield doesnt have as much give at the headrest on your seat. just ponder it for a minute. wear the damn thing.

joseph

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 11:22 PM
TGJ
Baddest N/A NPI in Canada

You are a student, can you read? The fine should be on the ticket!

Seatbelts don't just save your life, it helps protect others as well. I won't bore you with a story. I agree it is time you grew up! Driving is a privilege, not a right and from reading your post I think that the state of Michigan should revoke your driver's license until you grow up and are responsible enough to drive!

R.I.P. Johnny Langton (1975 - 2011)

1996 Thunderbird 5.0L 2V-4R70W
12.64 @ 107 MPH -> DA 3315 Ft above Sea level
12.49 @ 109 -> DA 2967 Ft above Sea level
2005 Mustang GT 4.6L 3V-TR3650 - SOLD
13.39 @ 102 MPH -> DA 3617 Ft above Sea level
2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V-6R80 - Bolt-ons
12.32 @ 115 MPH -> DA 2980 Ft above Sea level
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 11:48 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to 96lxcorey
Maybe you should do some research on victims that were not wearing seatbelts.Some pictures may change your mind about not wearing one.They did me.

corey

Excuses are just that.......excuses
9 out of 10 times your gut feeling wont steer you wrong
1997 Sport
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 11:52 PM
NRL
Real Ultimate Goatse Hunter

Send a message via AIM to NRL
The one time I didn't wear a seat belt I totaled my car..

and I would have been killed if I had my seat belt on.. just food for thought.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 11:59 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to 96lxcorey
Yeah I had a couple freinds that died because the were wearing them too.But more times then not they do save your life.If it hadn't been for seatbelts my mom little sister and granma would all be dead,those are the three closest women in my life.So I guess you could say I am pro seatbelt wearing.But I don't think not wearing one should be a reason for pulling someone over.

corey

Excuses are just that.......excuses
9 out of 10 times your gut feeling wont steer you wrong
1997 Sport
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Refrigerator Raider Hater

Actually, in Florida, at the state police barracks they keep a tally of people killed with and without sealbelt use. Every year they are almost 50/50. This doesn't mean anything unless we know what % use seatbealts.

Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 05:35 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by NRL
The one time I didn't wear a seat belt I totaled my car..

and I would have been killed if I had my seat belt on.. just food for thought.
thats odd, i have been in 5-6 collisions where i would have been killed had i not been wearing my seatbelt.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 07:18 AM
Autozone Masta'

Quote:
Originally posted by PowderBoyDTC

thats odd, i have been in 5-6 collisions where i would have been killed had i not been wearing my seatbelt.
Meh. Same here. I'll post pics in a few of my wreck.

Meh.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 07:53 AM
Autozone Masta'

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 09:09 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to ZackG Send a message via Yahoo to ZackG
im 50/50 on the seatbelt issue. i always wear mine, even more scared to not wear it when im not driving. BUT some laws are fallable. Look at streetbikes, harleys, etc. THey do not require a seatbelt and if you wreck on one of those, you're in deep crap. I think if you'd take it to court, they'd laugh at you and just give you the same fine.

97 Tbird 4.6
VT built block, fox lake PI heads
Vortech at XY psi
4.10's, KB boost a spark.
Yummy.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2147246
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 10:05 AM
Not Blinking Anymore

Send a message via AIM to KewlBird
how long does it take you to buckle up your seatbelt? Usually as I'm starting the car I'm putting mine on (no loss of time). I'm just used to putting the seat belt on, it's there for a reason.

It does blow that they give the tickets out. If you wanna die, you should be able to die. I can't believe that they put that law into effect.

And the deal with the Insurance law (not to change the subject) really pisses me off. You have to pay them for nothing, if you get in an accident with the PLPD (minimum coverage) you get $500 and a foot up your ***. Even if you are not at fault you cannot sue the person at fault for the damage to your car. So basically you are paying more than you are getting back no matter what happens.

1996 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L -
1994 Ford Thunderbird LX 3.8L
2002 Chevrolet Blazer 4D 4WD
2002 Chevrolet Impala

http://members.tccoa.com/kewlbird/
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Autozone Masta'

Quote:
Originally posted by ZackG
im 50/50 on the seatbelt issue. i always wear mine, even more scared to not wear it when im not driving. BUT some laws are fallable. Look at streetbikes, harleys, etc. THey do not require a seatbelt and if you wreck on one of those, you're in deep crap. I think if you'd take it to court, they'd laugh at you and just give you the same fine.
Could you imagine how badly you would injure yourself riging a bike with a seatbelt on? There are lot of instances where a rider has dumped his bike and walked away, if they were wearing seatbelts they would be a mangled peice of meat.

You used a bad analogy.

Meh.
post #16 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 10:08 AM
Autozone Masta'

Quote:
Originally posted by KewlBird
how long does it take you to buckle up your seatbelt? Usually as I'm starting the car I'm putting mine on (no loss of time). I'm just used to putting the seat belt on, it's there for a reason.

It does blow that they give the tickets out. If you wanna die, you should be able to die. I can't believe that they put that law into effect.

And the deal with the Insurance law (not to change the subject) really pisses me off. You have to pay them for nothing, if you get in an accident with the PLPD (minimum coverage) you get $500 and a foot up your ***. Even if you are not at fault you cannot sue the person at fault for the damage to your car. So basically you are paying more than you are getting back no matter what happens.
WRONG. You can sue if you have PLPD. I've done it.

Meh.
post #17 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Not Blinking Anymore

Quote:
Originally posted by tommywdetroit

WRONG. You can sue if you have PLPD. I've done it.
how, I've been told that you cannot sue if the other person has insurance.

2002 Chevrolet Impala

post #18 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 10:54 AM
Autozone Masta'

Quote:

how, I've been told that you cannot sue if the other person has insurance.
I don't want to sound like an a$$ but, whoever told you that was mis-informed. Go look at the thread I posted in A/V. I had PLPD when I got in that wreck, and walked away with about $80K.

Meh.
post #19 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:24 AM
Chief of Warranty Police

Send a message via AIM to LiquidCougar
Sometimes I wear it and sometimes I don't. If I happen to get nailed one time when I don't, then it's my own damn fault. All part of the risk every time you sit behind the wheel.

Just pay the fine dude, don't be stupid.

1990 XR7 3.8L SC - Still waiting for time and money to come together at the same time..
1991 Ford Ranger
2003 Ford Escape

It's an MN-12 thing... you wouldn't understand.

Cowboys still do ride horses. Only today it's not just one at a time.
It's 454, each one alive, penned in 8 cylinders. Eating asphalt. Kicking dust.
Screaming out loud, "Don't you dare stop for water."
post #20 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I did a research paper on Seat Belts when I was in College. Seat belts not only save lives by preventing you from smashing your face and head against immovable objects. They actually prevent accidents by helping to hold the driver behind the wheel where he belongs. For those of you who don't want to be "trapped" if the car is in water or fire. When a car hits water at speed it is just like hitting any other HARD object. The seat belt would help you remain conscious so you can get out of the car. Same for any impact hard enough to start a fire. As for the argument that you have a right to die if that is your choice. While I won't argue that you do have the right to die (though in my opinon it is a stupid choice), what happens if you do not die? you only get severely and permanently injured? Was it the choice of those who are now forced to care for you that they do this unpleasant task? Pretty selfish of those who could have not been injured had they been wearing a seat belt. I have had officers tell me after accidents "You would be dead if it weren't for the seat belt" Never had one tell me, "Good thing you weren't wearing a seat belt". Wear it for your life and the peace of mind of those around you.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:36 AM
Autozone Masta'

Quote:
Originally posted by Traveler
I did a research paper on Seat Belts when I was in College. Seat belts not only save lives by preventing you from smashing your face and head against immovable objects. They actually prevent accidents by helping to hold the driver behind the wheel where he belongs. For those of you who don't want to be "trapped" if the car is in water or fire. When a car hits water at speed it is just like hitting any other HARD object. The seat belt would help you remain conscious so you can get out of the car. Same for any impact hard enough to start a fire. As for the argument that you have a right to die if that is your choice. While I won't argue that you do have the right to die (though in my opinon it is a stupid choice), what happens if you do not die? you only get severely and permanently injured? Was it the choice of those who are now forced to care for you that they do this unpleasant task? Pretty selfish of those who could have not been injured had they been wearing a seat belt. I have had officers tell me after accidents "You would be dead if it weren't for the seat belt" Never had one tell me, "Good thing you weren't wearing a seat belt". Wear it for your life and the peace of mind of those around you.
Good post.

Meh.
post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:40 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

lol, so you didn't have time to put on seat belt? what about all that time you wasted by geting pulled over?
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Cougar Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Traveler
Yes, a good post indeed. I never used to wear my seatbelt, but then I started, and now I probably do 80% of the time. Of course if it's icey as crap and the roads just plain look dangerous I wouldn't forget to wear it. If I get killed or maimed during the other 20% of the time, so be it, it was my own damn fault. But then I do know of the hazzard you can present as TGJ brought up. I've seen the aftermath of a victim ejected and stuck into the grille of an oncoming Dodge Ram, this was on a 4-lane U.S. highway. I know there are other ways to die from seatbelts than just the drowning/burning secenarios. I often think about how good the shoulder belt choking my neck is gonna feel if it comes to that. Or say my spleen was overly swollen and the lap belt ruptured it so I bleed to death internally... I'm sure there are plenty of other ways. Then there are always those accidents that seatbelts just can't help. You know the type.

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
Quote:
Originally posted by BlackCat94

I often think about how good the shoulder belt choking my neck is gonna feel if it comes to that. Or say my spleen was overly swollen and the lap belt ruptured it so I bleed to death internally... I'm sure there are plenty of other ways. Then there are always those accidents that seatbelts just can't help. You know the type.
Yea, those things could happen, but the odds are very remote compared to the possibility of the seat belt saving your life. If the shoulder belt feels as if it could choke you, then it needs to be adjusted in some way. It shouldn't be riding up that high anyway. It is a shoulder belt after all!

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 01:43 AM
Trumpeter Extraordinaire

Quote:
.....ps, this law is gay, it should be our choice if we want to protect ourselves from dying in an accident
That's all fine and dandy, but everyone's insurance rates go up because of other driver's accidents...

I have had a squeaky-clean record for years, but there was a rate increase recently. I argued, to no avail. When I was living In Germany, the rates would go down for drivers who've had no infractions or accidents, regardless of other drivers who did have infractions and accidents. I've always thought, since then, that that was a fair system.

Each to his own...
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 05:22 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to copenkagan Send a message via Yahoo to copenkagan
I'm going to have to side with the ticket. You got busted for not wearing a seatbelt. Here in Utah, if you get pulled over, they have to give you a ticket for no seatbelt. They are zero tolerance here.

2000 Mustang GT - 4R70W
214rwhp
263rwtq
More powerful now, but haven't gotten it on the dyno.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-27-2004, 06:41 PM
Not Blinking Anymore

Quote:
Originally posted by tommywdetroit

I don't want to sound like an a$$ but, whoever told you that was mis-informed. Go look at the thread I posted in A/V. I had PLPD when I got in that wreck, and walked away with about $80K.
Residual Liability Insurance Bodily Injury and Property Damage (BI/PD)
The no-fault provision of Michigan auto insurance law protects insured persons from being sued as the result of an auto accident except in certain special situations. In general, these are the circumstances under which you could be sued:

If you cause an accident in Michigan in which someone is killed or seriously injured.
If you are involved in an accident in Michigan with a non-resident who is an occupant of a motor vehicle not registered in Michigan.
If you are involved in an accident in a state other than Michigan.
For up to $500 in damages to another person's car, which are not covered by insurance, if you are 50% or more at fault in the accident.

http://www.autoinsurancelaw.com/mich...rance-law.html

2002 Chevrolet Impala

post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 12:28 AM
motor city poster

Send a message via AIM to Red96Bird
hey... im from troy myself.... 18 and rochester to be exact.... so i know about the seatbelt laws and so on..but i mean..id do it anyways just to save the however much the ticket is gonna be...

and btw...either in may or june we are gonnna have a michigan meet at milan or something...

one more ? ..where do u go to school/how old are u
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 04:57 AM
Autozone Masta'

Quote:

Residual Liability Insurance Bodily Injury and Property Damage (BI/PD)
The no-fault provision of Michigan auto insurance law protects insured persons from being sued as the result of an auto accident except in certain special situations. In general, these are the circumstances under which you could be sued:

If you cause an accident in Michigan in which someone is killed or seriously injured.
If you are involved in an accident in Michigan with a non-resident who is an occupant of a motor vehicle not registered in Michigan.
If you are involved in an accident in a state other than Michigan.
For up to $500 in damages to another person's car, which are not covered by insurance, if you are 50% or more at fault in the accident.

http://www.autoinsurancelaw.com/mich...rance-law.html
Dunno what to tell ya. Guess the 80K I won in my lawsuit was imaginary.

Meh.
post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Automatic Weapon

Quote:
I HATE POLICE!!!!
Yeah, I hate it when they DO THEIR JOB.

How old are you again? Perhaps the next time the cop sees you he'll be pulling your body from a ditch after it flies out your Cougar due to a lack of seatbelt use. Stupid laws, they keep protecting people.

You should thank that cop for caring enough to do the job he does.

Hating cops for doing a good job is immature.

Wear your seatbelt and take care.

<----not throwing rocks at girls anymore

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in