Shop Towels - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to slayer
Shop Towels

I just thought I would ask a simple question, anyone else use those silly red "shop towels" you can buy for relatively cheap? I decided I hate them. They are almost take as much time to clean up after them than they do for cleaning up whatever. Never try and polish something or clean something up with them. They seem to disintegrate and leave a nasty trail of little red clothe everywhere... Also don't wash them with any clothes or anything, they bleed like no other... On that same note, be wary of letting them sit in soapy water(as in to clean inside of car) because they will then dye the water red and get that all over whatever you are trying to clean... And please, don't leave them sitting in acetone or alcohol(the rubbing kind) because that just makes it worse... Anyways I am done, just thought I would share my info about these wonderfully cheap things... Any reccomendations as to a kind to use? I am thinking when I run out of these I will switch to the non-dyed ones see if they are any better....

Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:35 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 92five0bird Send a message via Yahoo to 92five0bird
Im pretty sure it says on the package they come in, not to wash in a regular washer or with clothes or anything. And I have heard not to even wash them alone in your washer. I usually aquire them, and when done just throw them away. I go to the buyers clubs and buy the huge 400 count {not really 400} of paper towels and just throw them away.

Chris

"Its better to be stroked than blown, but its best to be stroked and blown"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:38 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
If you find non-dyed ones let me know. I use the red ones all the time to wax the car, and wipe off grease and such. I just don't use them with any kind of solvents. As for washing them you are right! I did a load once, got all kind of pink things! The answer? they are so cheap I don't wash them, just get rid of them and buy new ones. Or just wash them by themselves. I also use a lot of those heavy duty blue paper towels. I just "borrow" them from dad shop.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Chief of Warranty Police

Send a message via AIM to LiquidCougar
I use similar ones all the time for the dirty work.. (sopping up oil, grease, wiping down parts), crap like that. They're orange, and they're industrial grade. My old man has tons of them from the machine shop he used to work at, and now he just takes them to the shop where he works now to have them washed.

I think I know which ones you're talking about though.. and yeah, they suck.

1990 XR7 3.8L SC - Still waiting for time and money to come together at the same time..
1991 Ford Ranger
2003 Ford Escape

It's an MN-12 thing... you wouldn't understand.

Cowboys still do ride horses. Only today it's not just one at a time.
It's 454, each one alive, penned in 8 cylinders. Eating asphalt. Kicking dust.
Screaming out loud, "Don't you dare stop for water."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to slayer
Sams club has undyed ones. I try and recyle them as much as possible. My own little attribute to a better world. The ones that get greasy and such I just simply throw away or burn, but it is the ones that you use to clean stuff. I stripped the side molding from my car and tried to use them to clean off the goof off and they ended up leaving small strands of red cloth all over the side of my car. Now nothin a hose can't wash off but still annoying. The first time I used them I was detailing the inside of my bronco(prior to the remodelling) and my system. Well I can't tell you how pissed one person can get from detailing a chrome/gold amp and leaving little red strings all over the place.... Have to come back with air compressor and clean it off again, and end up re polishing it all over again... Bahhh. Anyways, I saw the heavy duty blue paper towels, but I want to try and get something that i at least have the chance to reuse...

Sam
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
You'd be surprised how "heavy duty" those blue paper towels are! Give em a shot. You can't wash them obviously, but they get a lot done before you throw them away. I've never thrown one away cause it was torn, just dirty.

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in