Techies : "Of MIDI, polyphony, and Nokias..." - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 04:59 AM Thread Starter

Talking Techies : "Of MIDI, polyphony, and Nokias..."

Greetings I posted this on countless Nokia forums, and searched for hours on Google, with no luck for several days now. If anyone knows a REALLY good, and popular Nokia forum that would help alot.

Looking for a Nokia expert, or MIDI buff to help me out on this one.

My new Nokia (6200, not so new indeed) uses Midi format for it's ringtones. Needless to say they're polyphonic. "Poly 4" to be exact (4 simultaneous notes at once). So, completely dissatisfied with the free and pay ringtone selection out there, I took to making my own out of standard MIDI.

What you basically must do, is A : Convert the MIDI over to MIDI 0 format, which is a simplified, 4-note-at-once version of the standard MIDI 1. B : Download tone via WAP to the phone.

It works pretty damn well! But, I ran into problems with some MIDIs. For instance, simple piano songs with only one MIDI track (midi buffs know what I mean) work flawlessly. More complicated songs with 10-16 tracks are where I run into problems. A "track" is basically an instrument...

Even after converting over to MIDI 0, which allegedly limits the song to 4 simultaneous notes, some of my tones keep coming up on the phone as "Failed to load". After much experimentation, this would lead me to believe that the number/type of TRACKS in the MIDI matter, as well.

So I set about deleting less important tracks in songs and trying them. This worked on 2 songs, out of about 20. What's more interesting is that a song I had whittled down to 9 tracks worked, and one with only 7 did not.

My hypothesis : Surely the more advanced computer (MPU-401) MIDI synthesiser has ALOT more diverse instruments that the phone does NOT. I'm guessing certain instruments in the MIDI are not agreeing with the set provided in the phone, such as Choir arrangements and various Synth effects.

What I could really use, is either someone who's dealt with this Poly4 midi format, or, an exact statement of types of instruments/tracks allowed. In my phone's manual it mentions "40 different instruments to reproduce tones." If only I knew which 40 these were, I'd be saved.
Figures, the PDA document at nokia.com about MIDI 0 format is down.

Barring all else, can someone point me towards a _well trafficked_ Nokia site, as I haven't gotten any responses at others.

Apologies for spilling my nasty Nokia problems on this board, maybe I'll get lucky

It is a nice phone too. Only wish it had the Poly40 format now becoming standard in Asia and Europe.

Thanks alot, for your time

inuyasha!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Success! I won't even get into what I was doing wrong, suffice it to say that "muting" a midi track is not the same as removing it.. feh.

Anyway, this stuff is hard work If anyone has a Nokia 6200, or any other phone that uses Midi Poly 4 ringtones, and are interested in anime/video game themed rings, shoot me a PM and I'll send you some finished ones They're only 10kb each.

inuyasha!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 10:25 AM
PostWhore

You know about howardforums.com right? And didn't Nokia have a developer site at one time? I can't recall the url but I think I got there poking around on the tech support site.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in