hello guys it seems that recent my 1996 pontiac grand am stopped running while i was driving and when i tried to turn it back on it wouldnt...it acts as if it did not have any gas but we checked if the gas comes up and it does....it seems to be this little box that sends the spark to the spark plugs...we do not know what it is called but here are some pictures that might help...
looks more like the ignition module to me....quad 4? or what motor? cant tell from pic, does that say 2.3 twin cam? quad4s dont have wires, so the coil packs attach to the ignition module, which is screwed on to the thing on top .... not sure what its called ... but the ignition module has four pegs(so to speak) that go down and clamp onto the spark plugs ... now, there are coil packs involved there, but not like what you would see on a 3100 or something of that nature ....
1988 5.0 Bird
1991 Super Coupe
(Sold to Pollandfenix) My CarDomain Page
yeah it does it 2.1l twin cam engine... and it had the ingnition coil and the ignition module recently changed for some new ones....they probably got burnt out again...do u guys think that this could be causing my problem that it wont turn on????
Last edited by krazykokonutzz; 04-13-2004 at 05:59 PM.
on the 2.3 quad4 and 2.4 twincam they have several possible things that can and do happen to cause them to not start .
you might wan't to check the following
1. the crank position senor it's down by the starter on the side of your engine .
2. the plug that goes to the ignition control module tends to go bad . it's the plug in the picture you posted.
3. the coil pack houseing tends to get small cracks in it and cause problems if you notice a black soot on it then typically it is cracked .
4. if they didnt use some sort of heat sink compound on the ignition control module when it was replaced it they have a tendency to fail rather quickly.
5. the there are two ground wires for the pcm that might have came loose that could cause the car not to start they are a tan/white wire and a black/white wire .
6. have the coil pack tested because one of the coils could have gone bad aswell.
hope this helps