OOO NOES! V.hit a cop long - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to HanMan
OOO NOES! V.hit a cop long

Ok guys, this is the story that i told others in the general tech forum i would post.

For those of you who dont know, "The Loop"/U city is a fairly old part of town for shopping ect ect. Del Mar is the road that goes there.

My bro wants to get a new tat. (Which, by the way, turned out very nice) He doesn't want to drive because the firebird is horrible in the rain and its nighttime as well. He asks me to drive (first mistake) but im not going to waste my gas driving down there. So we take the firebird (Second mistake). We get to DelMar and there is a road flooded sign... drive through it and theres about 3 inchs of water on the road. O well no big deal. Inch through about 5 feet of this water and continue.

He gets the tat at Iron Age and i go stop by vintage vynl while hes busy. Get the Head Automatica cd that ive been looking for for a while (YAY) We leave and there is dead stopped traffic on DelMar because nobody wants to drive through the water. We decide to u-turn and go back to Big bend (another way to the highway)

Firebirds have notoriously big Rear pillars as well as bad rear defrosters that turn themselves off after 3 mins or something and dont turn back on. Rear window is completely fogged over. O well Im supposed to be looking to the right to make sure no cars are coming. Wrong.. No cars are coming... pull out... BAM. Cop that was driving in the close lane to traffic on the wrong side of the road nails me. No lights or sirens on.

I pull over next to him and he gets taken away on a stretcher WTF? Anyway i get issued a ticket for illegal u-turn (wasn't posted but apparently its a city ordinance) She tells me i can leave. Im thinking wtf? No accident report or anything? Whose at fault ect ect. So i throw it in reverse thinking im lucky to just have to pay for my dads car. My bro tells me to get out and look at the damage first. O do and the fender is cracked a bit... Got off pretty lucky id say.

Cop comes back over now and says "Is there damage to that car?"
"Ummm, yup... we hit?"
"O...... ugggg..... well i need you to stay for a second."
Goes and writes up a summons for "destruction of city property"

Cops car looked pretty good... they must have reinforcement bars in the door panels because he slid into me pretty hard.

Cliffs: Hit a cop making an illegal u-turn out of sheer bad luck. Got an illegal u-turn ticket and a summons for destruction of city property.

No i have a few questions...
1. Will i be fined for destruction of city prop? or are they going to try and make me pay for damages to his car?
2. Someone told me a long time ago i think that as soon as an officer puts on his badge he gives up the right to sue a civilian. Is this true and can he sue me for medical bills? (im not sure if he was injured or not but he didn't have cuts or anything on him and it was a pretty minor accident)
3. Is this a dream?

'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 01:52 PM
PostWhore

Firstly whenever an emergency vehicle is driving the wrong way or anything that would normally break traffic laws they MUST have their lights/sirens on. I dont know what its like there but here police officers have full coverage for anything that happens in the line of duty including disability. And I have never heard of a cop suing anyone for damages, insurance should cover the damage to the cop car.

The destrcution of city property sounds like bs, but good luck with that.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

thanks for the info... i doubt that the cop would sue me but i just wanna cover my *** on anything b4 it happens. No lights no siren means i shouldn't even need my lawyer but ill give him a call anyway and see what he tells me. I dont want to report this to insurance because im almost 18 and insurance will skyrocket for an accident. Most of my friends are paying accident ridden insurance... ive got to be about to only who hasn't gotten in an accident (not anymore i guess). Id rather cash out 500 or so to pay my lawyer than have my insurance go up 100 a bill for 3 years.

Does anyone know if this destruction of state property will just be a fine and maybe some community service or are they actually going to try and reinburst themselves for that carpaint job?

'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:17 PM
TCCoA Founder
Administrator

Since the cop was in the wrong place without at least lights on, I'd think you'd only be guilty of the illegal U-Turn. You would not have destroyed anythning if the cop had his lights on like he should have. Do not under any circumstance blame anything on the blind spot, fogged window, etc. Those are excuses for YOU. In order to win, it has to be 100% the cops fault. The only thing you did was attempt to avoid and obviously flooded and dangerous street. If that was only way to circumvent that flooded area, then even the U-Turn charge would likely be dropped. Remember, the cop was at fault for not running his emergency lights. And if he was driving toward a flooded roadway, especially the WRONG DIRECTION, he should have had them on. His negligence caused the accident.

God Bless and Fly Low!

Sir William
TCCoA Founder

97 Thunderbird LX - Smoothed

99 Expedition Eddie Bauer

04 Grand Cherokee Overland
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 01:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

with sir will on this one !

64 ford galaxie -FE powered beast!- sleeping giant
69 cougar standard- 347/c6 -efi restomod, heidts prog 4 link heavily modified front, custom strutrods boxed lowers rollerperches 620 lowering springs! meier shock tower brace
96 f150 supercab lifted beast! 351 powered beast
87 shasta roadmaster 29ft travel trailer- pimpdaddy camping!
mn12 less!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks guys. Im still wondering if that destruction of city prop will just be a fine if i get convicted anyway. I dont wanna have to buy a ****bomb impalla.

'95 Thunderbird 4.6L V8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in